• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Battlefield 3 Preview Performance Preview @ [H]

Think I'd still like to see how a combo of 2xMSAA and medium/high FXAA looks and performs...sort of best of both worlds and less of huge performance hit from maxing out the MSAA.

Kind of pointless though when FXAA already provides similar to 4X MSAA antialiasing on polygon edges. But we will look at combining MSAA + FXAA and see what happens. I don't like the idea of MSAA taxing my VRAM, and FXAA taxing my shaders, at the same time, seems like a waste of GPU resources. But we will look at it.
 
I am having great results with FXAA on high on my setup, I dont see any IQ decay with it on and I am getting similar to 4xAA.
 
Kind of pointless though when FXAA already provides similar to 4X MSAA antialiasing on polygon edges. But we will look at combining MSAA + FXAA and see what happens. I don't like the idea of MSAA taxing my VRAM, and FXAA taxing my shaders, at the same time, seems like a waste of GPU resources. But we will look at it.

Yeah I see your point.....but heavy AA post can also blur the image a bit......possibly the best image quality may be medium levels of both MSAA and FXAA.....would be an interesting test.
 
Yeah I see your point.....but heavy AA post can also blur the image a bit......possibly the best image quality may be medium levels of both MSAA and FXAA.....would be an interesting test.

So far in every game i've tested I haven't seen FXAA blur any textures, but we'll keep an eye out for it.
 
You've got a bit of a cpu/gpu mismatch there. The CPU could be holding you back, what res/settings?

Could be. But shouldn't I at least get the numbers someone with a 5870 gets?
I've considered overclocking. I could get new CPU, MB and RAM but not really wanting to at this time. maybe this time next year.

it's like with bfbc2 this combo let's be run a pretty solid 60 fps bfbc2 @ 1680 x 1050 with highest settings which is a little bit more than then 5870 i have could do.

DICE had said if you played bfbc2 good you would play bf3 ok. i got way may gpu power...and a Quad core...either the AMD drivers are trash right now or i need an i7-2600k and before i make that jump i have to see good reliable evidence.


Did you see the post about removing CAP3 as that was causing the game to stutter on crossfire setups?

saw it and will try it when i get home in 3 hours.


link fix?
 
Seems the forums here are borking that link mentioned above, guess someone here got sand in their vajayjay and has that site blocked for whatever reason, everytime I try to c&p it, it gets borked.

I won't try to circumvent the link filter or whatever is borking it, don't wanna anger the lords here LOL, just do a search on Yahoo/Google for how to build a kickass battlefield 3 pc.
 
Thanks for the preview performance preview. I spent about 3hrs tweaking all the settings trying to get it running acceptable AND to get rid of the stuttering. The preview article and this thread provided pretty much everything I needed. Thanks so much. Can't wait to get home and to implement the changes :)

Question though. I am running ATI GPUs. Does enabling MLAA in ATI Control Panel and turning on AA - Post in-game settings mean anything? Can I do both? Should I do one or the other? I prefer to leave the Control Panel checked for Mount & Blade, ArmA2 and also GTA4.

Running i7 920 @ 3.33GHz, Radeon 6870 CF, and I was pulling my hair out last night post-launch trying to get it running good :-|
 
link fix?

The link comes out as = http://www./Optimize/Guides/how-to-build-a-kick-ass-battlefield-3-pc

I think it is cutting off after the www. ...

try cutting and pasting the whole URL as text not the URL function

Also - how did you edit your post? I've been on here forever and haven't figured that one out
EDIT - Never mind I see an edit button now. Is that new?
OK for some reason it is editing geforce out of the link. I don't know why. www dot geforce dot com/Optimize/Guides/how-to-build-a-kick-ass-battlefield-3-pc

It shows the maximum FPS of multiple Nvidia GPU's on an Intel 2600k 8GB system. GTX295 fits in between GTX560 and 560-TI
 
Playing it with lowest details in 1080p on a Phenom II X4 965 and a Radeon 5770 and it rarely dips below 60 FPS in combat, never ever below 50-55 at worst.

So lesser computers need not worry unless you have something like that and you still feel that you cannot live without AA and the fullest of detail levels.
 
OK for some reason it is editing geforce out of the link. GTX295 fits in between GTX560 and 560-TI

Are you sure? I'm under the impression that BF3 doesn't even have non-DX11 code paths, so the game won't even run on any video card that doesn't support DX11. That means GeForce 4xx+ and ATI 5xxx+.
 
Are you sure? I'm under the impression that BF3 doesn't even have non-DX11 code paths, so the game won't even run on any video card that doesn't support DX11. That means GeForce 4xx+ and ATI 5xxx+.
Just check out the site and see for yourself.
 
When I enable FXAA I don't see any anti-aliasing whatsoever. Am I crazy? I'll post screenshots later tonight. 2xMSAA provides an immediate and noticeable improvement though, at a big performance penalty. Running a 6870 currently.
 
When I enable FXAA I don't see any anti-aliasing whatsoever. Am I crazy? I'll post screenshots later tonight. 2xMSAA provides an immediate and noticeable improvement though, at a big performance penalty. Running a 6870 currently.

Not sure how you dont notice it, unless you just arent looking at the right things. I'll trust that you know how to spot jaggies, and I can concur with everyone else, that post AA works beautifully without any noticeable performance hit, and I am using a Radeon 5770 1GB.
 
Not sure how you dont notice it, unless you just arent looking at the right things. I'll trust that you know how to spot jaggies, and I can concur with everyone else, that post AA works beautifully without any noticeable performance hit, and I am using a Radeon 5770 1GB.

Believe me I'm very critical of visual quality. In this game aliasing is very noticeable, and fxaa does literally nothing for me regardless of setting. MSAA, on the other hand, I can notice the jaggies going away in the background while I'm changing the setting, and makes an enormous difference in game. I'm playing on the latest release drivers (not the preview ones,) so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
 
I'm currently running 11.10 preview 2. Will preview 3 offer any improvement? On high setting I seem to get 60-70 fps. On ultra settings I get 35-50fps. I'm playing on Auto now which is a mix of high and ultra and getting 50-60fps. This is in the single player campaign and at 1920x1200 with my signature specs.
 
The game is frickin mind blowing.

I normally don't care for Dice games(I'm a CoD old timer) but, they nailed it with BF3.

O.K. I'm going back to play.:D
 
I had to turn HT off...had stuttering

At release 1201am EST the game was basically unplayable online 12-15FPS.

On EAs end they changed a few things and Im getting about 60-90FPS online.

i7 920@4153Mhz
SLI 460s@core 930
All water cooled
 
So what kind of performance and settings would one think I should be able to get with my sig rig? Just wondering if the game is VRAM limited in multi-monitors resolutions.
 
I OC'ed my CPU to 4.2ghz and turned of HT and wow what a difference. Instead of like 30-40FPS I now have 50-60FPS (All settings HIGH, 16x AF, SSAO but no AA at all and no post AA)

VRAM usage max was 979 with these settings at 1920x1080.
 
It was nearly unplayable on my i7 920@4GHz, tri-fire 6950 Toxic (unlocked shaders @ 905/1410). I dropped from my portrait triple 20" eyefinity (3150x1680) down to a single 1680x1050 screen to be able to max the fps so much the stutter wasnt as bad... I did not have time to play with the graphics settings other than turning AA to appliciation and turning off motion blur..

I have the next couple of days off to really play with this darn game.... AND OMG FIX "Q" keybindings DICE!
 
Those SLI/Crossfire results are hilarious because in this game, having twice the number of video cards actually doubles your framerate. I wish it always worked like that.

Did you guys get stuttering in the beta with HT enabled? The beta ran fine for me but I haven't played the final release.
 
Let's try to figure out the HT thing. So far it seems the x58 chips don't like HT. anyone with a 2600k that wants to test HT on vs off?
 
Let's try to figure out the HT thing. So far it seems the x58 chips don't like HT. anyone with a 2600k that wants to test HT on vs off?

What are we looking for? Only time I've had anything like what I'd call stuttering, it seemed like it was server-side (more lag banding than stutter - or like when you are running and someone else is bumping into you).
 
Well, I bit. Really loving what I'm seeing so far - graphics are fantastic and the game runs really well at 1080 Ultra + 2xMSAA with the rig in my sig.

Had some issues with crossfire not working, but thanks to this guide just uninstalled the Catalyst Application Profile and it's working very well. 70~80 FPS for the most part with the 11.9 drivers now, and I'm not noticing the stuttering mentioned here (although I'm rarely alive long enough to notice anything). Hopefully the official 11.10 will be out soon with some performance improvements.
 
After a fairly quick download from origin I started the single player campaign. While it looks good (really good), I am having major issues with the key bindings. I'm left handed, so I always have to re-arrange all the bindings. At this point it's pretty much unplayable for me as the keys I have assigned won't do the required actions. Checking EA's forums, I can see i'm not the only one with key binding issues. So unless you use the WASD setup, you may want to hold off unless you can write a macro to reprogram your keyboard.

i7 930
ASUS P6t Deluxe
G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) @1600
OCZ Max IOPs 120Gb
WD 600Gb 10000 RPM
WD 1TB
Sapphire Toxic 6950 2GB (flashed to 6970)
Dell 3007WFP (30in) @2560x1600
Antec CP-850 850W
 
The reason why Dice has implemented both traditional MSAA and Post AA is because neither one by itself is enough to clean up the whole image. Wtih Frsotibte 2.0 ebing a deferred lighting based engine, there will be parts of the scene that don't have or show AA being applied. That's where the Post AA comes into play. Post AA by itself, while a huge improvment over no AA, doesn't come close to getting rid of all the jagged edges even when at High.

Here's a link to a post by a Dice employee over at Beyond3D explaining it.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1586489&postcount=995

The MSAA resolve is part of the tonemapping because of performance, rendering pipeline complexity and that compute shader UAVs can't write to MSAA surfaces. So in some cases even though you have 4x MSAA and the gbuffer samples are nicely unique on an edge and the per-sample lighting does its thing you may still not fully see the antialiasing going on due if the HDR difference is too high as 1 bright sample would dominate the other dark ones.

This is the main reason we support both MSAA (linear gamma, pre-tonemap) and post-process based AA (sRGB gamma, post-tonemap). They nicely complement each other
 
Trying to follow this thread, anyone with a rig similar to mine that's running is in Surround?
 
if by similar you mean 2600k @ 4.4, 2 x 5870 1gb, 5760x1200 then yes! :D
 
Back
Top