Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 6 core 2.8 that is at recommended is an issue?

Not sure what he was trying to say there, the game is quite clearly optimized for processors with more than 2 cores. I'm sure his CPU will be fine, the real question is whether or not his 460 will be up to the challenge.

I guess I will overclock it all until it melts, then buy new stuff. If only I didn't have kids I could have play money like the old days. :)

Not sure what he was trying to say there, the game is quite clearly optimized for processors with more than 2 cores. I'm sure his CPU will be fine, the real question is whether or not his 460 will be up to the challenge.

Switching from my 1055T to my 2500K made a world of difference in BC2. No doubt video cards are important but CPU is as important as it was in BC2 then that will be a limiting factor as well.

Assuming I am using a GTX590, GTX600 series, or whatever, could an i7 920 at stock speed possibly bottleneck this game? Any benefit to be had by overclocking it? Has anyone ever looked at the importance of CPU clock speed on higher end multi-threaded GPUs in highly threaded games?

I never ran into any issues during the alpha with my i7 920@stock, but who knows how it'll perform once retail lands.

wow now im really worry about my processor you think my cpu can run really bf3 i have a amd 1090t 6 cores at 3.8 ghz and a 5850 in crossfire, i want to play on ultra setting at 1080p :(

I think your main limitation will not be the 1090 at 3.8, I think the 5850 xfire will be what causes you the headache. May only be slight though. I'll let you know how my 1075 @ 3.9 with a single 5850 does on the beta next week.

There's been so much bitching and whining in this thread about this game, origin and so many other dumb things I am not even sure anyone is excited about this game any longer. I on the other hand am stoked about this game. Finally a game has been developed for a PC as the primary platform. PC gamers are so used to getting kicked in the balls with all of these ported games that everyone is terrified to admit that this game is gonna kick ass. The alpha build was alot of fun and it was just the alpha build. My mouth has been watering for more BF3 since the Alpha ended. Even though the beta is the same level, I am still excited to get to play again before the official release and am excited to see what improvements have been made. I personally am reserving all judgement until I play the final retail build. Everyone is bashing the shit out of the game and have not even played the damn thing. I think this is going to be the best modern combat game to date. I have been waiting for a realistic, immersive FPS for a long time.

That is just my opinion and just felt like getting on my soapbox. Now back to the bitching, whining, pissing and moaning. :D

There's been so much bitching and whining in this thread about this game, origin and so many other dumb things I am not even sure anyone is excited about this game any longer. I on the other hand am stoked about this game. Finally a game has been developed for a PC as the primary platform. PC gamers are so used to getting kicked in the balls with all of these ported games that everyone is terrified to admit that this game is gonna kick ass. The alpha build was alot of fun and it was just the alpha build. My mouth has been watering for more BF3 since the Alpha ended. Even though the beta is the same level, I am still excited to get to play again before the official release and am excited to see what improvements have been made. I personally am reserving all judgement until I play the final retail build. Everyone is bashing the shit out of the game and have not even played the damn thing. I think this is going to be the best modern combat game to date. I have been waiting for a realistic, immersive FPS for a long time.

That is just my opinion and just felt like getting on my soapbox. Now back to the bitching, whining, pissing and moaning. :D

I read a bit of this. I too enjoyed the Alpha thoroughly and was left wanting more when it ended. I'm sure the beta will be great even with the same map, because of all the changes and added features.

This bitching and moaning is just standard [H] never being satisfied.

Here is a great example of CPU scaling in BC2. I can only imagine BF3 will be even more CPU intensive.

CPU_01.png

CPU_02.png

Source

Last edited:
Umm, what? It makes perfect sense. The frostbite engine likes quad/hex-core systems with high clock speeds, and the graphs back that statement up.

Zhinto says it will take a 580 to run at medium (though doesnt mention resolution) so i doubt it highly that a 480 will keep up.

I really hope this game isn't overly optimized for the green team.....I would hate to have to upgrade my 5850's just for this game, they have served me so well.

I really hope this game isn't overly optimized for the green team.....I would hate to have to upgrade my 5850's just for this game, they have served me so well.

Well, players with nVidia cards were having all sorts of issues with the Alpha, whereas all I had to do was install the latest drivers for my 6950. If anything, they're just using the 580 as a point of reference, since it is the fastest single-GPU card on the market right now. I doubt EA/DICE have signed any dirty deals with either AMD or nVidia (at least, I hope they haven't).

Zhinto says it will take a 580 to run at medium (though doesnt mention resolution) so i doubt it highly that a 480 will keep up.

Where do you people get these things? Rubbish, utter rubbish.

bkohn1:
@zh1nt0 so can you tell us if the recommended system requirements are enough to run the game on ultra?

zh1nt0:
@bkohn1 recommended is usually medium

bkohn1:
@zh1nt0 so would one GTX580 run it on ultra? Or do I need two of them?

zh1nt0:
@bkohn1 2

Get your facts straight.

I'll be happy with whatever kind of performance I can get out of my rig. It might not be up to par with 2x580s, but it'll be decent regardless.

At least I ordered my SSD in time for the Beta. :D

BF3 its not a 60 dlrs game only, its one of the game every gamer waiting for.. game of the year at least :rolleyes:

Crap well I guess my 2 570's in SLI will not run BF3 in surround at 6040 x 1080. Time to start saving for the third!:D The wife is gonna love this, LOL.

Where do you people get these things? Rubbish, utter rubbish.

Get your facts straight.

Actually you quoted it right there, Zhinto says it will take a single 580 to run on medium and 2 to run at ultra...not quite sure where your calling what i said rubbish...

Actually BF3 will cost merely pennies for the amount of enjoyment most of us will get out of it.

I have close to 500 hours in BC2 and I've only been playing that mostly on weekends since July 2010. I expect most people will get 1000's of hours of playtime each in this game.

Actually you quoted it right there, Zhinto says it will take a single 580 to run on medium and 2 to run at ultra...not quite sure where your calling what i said rubbish...

I wonder what kind of graphic details were left out of the alpha then. I was running on at least medium or high and it ran pretty smooth throughout. I forgot what the reco specs are but I can't imagine a 6950 not running it on at least medium at 1920x1080.

Resolution has to play a large part.

bros, do you think my Q6600 @ 3 Ghz and my 5870 will be ok for 1920x1200?

Max settings, probably not. Zhinto had stated that a 580 would run the game at medium settings but he fails to mention what resolution. If thats at 19x12 then no as a 580 is a generation ahead of the 5000 series that youve got. If what zhinto says is at eyefinity/surround resolution then im sure a 5870 will run just fine at medium though im still sure it will be enough to run the game at minimuim at least.

I wonder what kind of graphic details were left out of the alpha then. I was running on at least medium or high and it ran pretty smooth throughout. I forgot what the reco specs are but I can't imagine a 6950 not running it on at least medium at 1920x1080.

Resolution has to play a large part.

I recall being able to run max settings (well, what little you could change) in the alpha at 1920x1200 with x2 6970s but it ran horribly at eyefinity res...though I can't recall what the framerate was and it also could be because it hadnt been optimized for multi-card usage and whatnot.

bkohn1:
@zh1nt0 so can you tell us if the recommended system requirements are enough to run the game on ultra?

zh1nt0:
@bkohn1 recommended is usually medium

bkohn1:
@zh1nt0 so would one GTX580 run it on ultra? Or do I need two of them?

zh1nt0:
@bkohn1 2

Recommended is 6850 or 460.

Edit: Have read other reports of 560 6950.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back