• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recommended is 6850 or 460

Taken from the Beta Page for recommended specs:
GRAPHICS CARD: DIRECTX 11 COMPATIBLE WITH 1024 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 OR ATI RADEON 6950)

Minimum Specs:
GRAPHICS CARD (AMD): DIRECTX 10.1 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (ATI RADEON 3000, 4000, 5000 OR 6000 SERIES, WITH ATI RADEON 3870 OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
GRAPHICS CARD (NVIDIA): DIRECTX 10.0 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 OR 500 SERIES WITH NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)

The venerable 8800 series has hung in there for a long time...was the first GPU I went SLI with...
 
So Zhinto said recommended requirements are representative of Medium settings, we should only need at least a single 560/6950 for Medium settings, not a 580.
 
Listings a series of card is way to vague.

I think (based on nothing really) that a 6950 will do medium-high depending on tweaks and a 580 should handle high fine.
 
I don't want to hear it.

I'll be running it on a C2Duo t9500 2.6, 3GB RAM, and an 8800M GTX w/1GB. Can't afford to upgrade right now so I'll just be making do. It's done fine with BC2 so I'm not terribly concerned.
 
Assuming I am using a GTX590, GTX600 series, or whatever, could an i7 920 at stock speed possibly bottleneck this game? Any benefit to be had by overclocking it? Has anyone ever looked at the importance of CPU clock speed on higher end multi-threaded GPUs in highly threaded games?

Yes, they have, there's a series of articles on TechSpot such as this: http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/page13.html

Showing various CPU's + various speeds vs. eachother in gaming scenarios with actual-play resolutions/settings. The differences can be quite extreme.

Another one: http://www.techspot.com/review/405-the-witcher-2-performance/page8.html
 
I don't want to hear it.

I'll be running it on a C2Duo t9500 2.6, 3GB RAM, and an 8800M GTX w/1GB. Can't afford to upgrade right now so I'll just be making do. It's done fine with BC2 so I'm not terribly concerned.

You should be.
 
This graphs make no sense to me. Instead of "diminishing returns" you get "increasing returns", which is BS.

It's probably to do with the multithreading implementation and its internal interacting bottlenecks. I see what you mean (at lower speeds initially the CPU speeds aren't doing much, then as it gets high the same delta is improving more and more). It could also have to do with memory speeds in conjunction with this, since it's an i7 920 scaling graph.
 
BF3 its not a 60 dlrs game only, its one of the game every gamer waiting for.. game of the year at least :rolleyes:

Value varies from person to person. Many people think Skyrim is GOTY.
Everyone isn't as passionate about this game as you think.
 
I don't want to hear it.

I'll be running it on a C2Duo t9500 2.6, 3GB RAM, and an 8800M GTX w/1GB. Can't afford to upgrade right now so I'll just be making do. It's done fine with BC2 so I'm not terribly concerned.

8800M GTX? Is that a mobile varient?
 
Value varies from person to person. Many people think Skyrim is GOTY.
Everyone isn't as passionate about this game as you think.

I agree, though I think this generation of gaming thats coming is going to finally evolve PC gaming into the next gen and push hardware again...something I dont think we've seen in a long time. Skrym is gonna be good...cant wait for both....my schooling is gonna suffer lol.
 
I agree, though I think this generation of gaming thats coming is going to finally evolve PC gaming into the next gen and push hardware again...something I dont think we've seen in a long time.

Yeah, BF3 is going to be the new Crysis, which is a good thing. And to that, it's going to be a very popular Crysis, which will hopefully get other developers to use the PC as the lead platform if BF3 is successful.
 
Yep, mobile.

We're gonna find out. I would love to be able to run ultra, or even high, but sadly there are priorities. I prefer a working AC, and the wife prefers a working dishwasher (redundant, I know, but if she's happy I'm happy!).

I do miss the old days, when I could upgrade every 6-8 months.
 
Yep, mobile.

We're gonna find out. I would love to be able to run ultra, or even high, but sadly there are priorities. I prefer a working AC, and the wife prefers a working dishwasher (redundant, I know, but if she's happy I'm happy!).

I do miss the old days, when I could upgrade every 6-8 months.

ouch...mobile chipsets tend to be stripped down versions of their counterparts. If I were you, id hope to run the game at lowest settings at best.
 
Yep, mobile.

We're gonna find out. I would love to be able to run ultra, or even high, but sadly there are priorities. I prefer a working AC, and the wife prefers a working dishwasher (redundant, I know, but if she's happy I'm happy!).

I do miss the old days, when I could upgrade every 6-8 months.

In that case, I would strongly advise you pre-order the game, that way you can get in on the beta and gauge the performance and you have the option of cancelling and getting your money back as I personally don't think it would be very playable but more so becuase of the CPU than the GPU.
 
In that case, I would strongly advise you pre-order the game, that way you can get in on the beta and gauge the performance and you have the option of cancelling and getting your money back as I personally don't think it would be very playable but more so becuase of the CPU than the GPU.

Or just play the beta without pre-ordering... lol
 
New Nvidia drivers inbound for BF3 Beta:

http://bf3blog.com/

The new, Battlefield 3-specific GeForce drivers are set to arrive on September 26, a day ahead of the beta release. The drivers will make sure the game (beta) runs smooth with no driver incompatibilities, something which happened with the Bad Company 2 beta last year.

I'm sure SLI owners are thankful for this.
 
I just hope they fixed all the issues previous versions of drivers were having. The 280 series have been a real fuck up so far. I was playing the alpha with like 265s on my 480gtx machine, and the game was freezing fairly often. I know the 280s fixed this, but in return broke a ton more shit, so I didn't bother to install.
 
Heres to hoping either AMD announces a similar driver release or releases a beta candidate before retail release at a minimum.
 
im probably going to be playing this game on my current rig, possibly upgrading the video card, but i'll more than likely be building a new PC right around christmas time :)
 
Just ordered a 5970 to add with my 5850 for this game. Should be epic.
 
I agree, though I think this generation of gaming thats coming is going to finally evolve PC gaming into the next gen and push hardware again...something I dont think we've seen in a long time.

++

It's my biggest gripe about consoles and PC games being cookie cuttered from consoles to the PC. Stagnation and nothing being pushed. BF3 is going to be one of the best things to get PC gaming going again, not just from the players standpoint, but for the hardware manufacturers as well. It's a good thing all around. The status quo has been the same for a long time, especially in PC circles. That's not good. Not good for the players, not good for the industry as a whole.

I remember the last 2 things that have pushed the industry forward. The first, Half Life 2, and second, Crysis. Remember when everyone saw the first footage of Half Life 2 and the graphics and physics: people went crazy and the ATI 9800 was like the graphics card to get to play the game in all its glory. It was good for everyone. Granted, you were out of $300 or so for the videocard, but it's not like you only used it for one thing....every game benefited. I don't see the problem with that, not even in this shitty economy. We haven't had a need to really upgrade in quite some time. And some of games coming out is giving us that. And it's a good thing.
 
Not sure if this has been discussed I havent really planned to make any appearances in the bf3 discussion until the game is out.

Anyway I priced servers online just now. The fact this game supports 64 people makes renting a server twice as expensive as BC2 since server hosts charge by slot.

Do you think there will be less 64 man servers because of this? GameServers wants $80+/month for a server.
 
Not sure if this has been discussed I havent really planned to make any appearances in the bf3 discussion until the game is out.

Anyway I priced servers online just now. The fact this game supports 64 people makes renting a server twice as expensive as BC2 since server hosts charge by slot.

Do you think there will be less 64 man servers because of this? GameServers wants $80+/month for a server.

My friends and I almost always do a 24 slot server ....I'm sure with this game we will do the same thing.
I personally think 64 is way too many....
 
Can't believe you guys are buying into this zh1nt0 crap. Remember when the single player stuff first came out? All lighting and particle effects were implemented, full destruction, all the bells and whistles, pretty much what you would expect Ultra settings to look like. They wanted it to look pretty as possible to whet everyones appitite. It was stated it was running on a SINGLE GTX580. Now all of the sudden this douche claims I need 2 of these to play it cranked? Maybe it has something to do with the BF3/Alienware e-mail I got last night. Just trying to sell more products to they can get their extra 1% from a 3rd party.

I'm honestly suprised this zh1nt0 guy isn't sitting behind a cash register at the local Swedish Pump-N-Go.
 
There will be less 64 man servers purely because you only need half as many to accommodate the same number of concurrent player as 32 player servers :)

If you're paying per slot the total cost to host enough servers to deal with peak concurrent users doesn't actually change you just have it distributed across less servers. Chances are that with such large servers that per slot price will go down or you'll get discounts for the bigger servers, to make them more attractive.
 
Don't know about you guys but in BF2 I played on 64 player servers exclusively. Anything less was not as fun. I will be doing the same with BF3. It helps knowing that the same servers I played on BF2 will be back in BF3 :D
 
Pre-ordered for hard copy disk but I'm not able access Beta early as a result? Thats dumb.
 
They're gonna send emails out on a Sunday? Wonder which intern got stuck with pressing that button, lol.
Have you seen DICE's HQ? I'll chill there on a Sunday to press that long awaited button.

Can't believe you guys are buying into this zh1nt0 crap. Remember when the single player stuff first came out? All lighting and particle effects were implemented, full destruction, all the bells and whistles, pretty much what you would expect Ultra settings to look like. They wanted it to look pretty as possible to whet everyones appitite. It was stated it was running on a SINGLE GTX580. Now all of the sudden this douche claims I need 2 of these to play it cranked? Maybe it has something to do with the BF3/Alienware e-mail I got last night. Just trying to sell more products to they can get their extra 1% from a 3rd party.

I'm honestly suprised this zh1nt0 guy isn't sitting behind a cash register at the local Swedish Pump-N-Go.

Looks like he's spreading fud:
http://twitter.com/#!/repi/status/117250670511407105

HABO and 32xCSAA really sucks up resources. lol

Now, since a 6950 can run high settings, why can't a single 580 run Ultra? Don't feed into the "I need two cars" marketing hype.
 
dice.jpg


zh1nt0 having a hissy fit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top