Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 570 OC will give you 580 performance with slightly less VRAM.
@1600x1050, you should be in the 70-80 range. The performance will get hit more when all the graphic options are enabled, but you should stay above 60fps.

The Alpha benches are pretty good for a 570.

The hardware used in the test is older also:
http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlefield-3/177311-bf3-alpha-gpu-cpu-performance-charts.html

The 570 was roughly 15% behind the 580, and the 570 can be OC'd to 20% and beyond.
If you get a well built 570, like a MSI Lighting or ASUS DCUII, you should be fine and save the extra cash.

Awesome. Thanks for your help guys.
I am kinda of diehard eVGA guy. I'm gonna order an EVGA SuperClocked GTX 570 in the morning. Seemed like the best deal. Probably get a new case too. :D

Now only if this beta will hurry up and come. I almost done with dead space 2..

Question:
I really want to upgrade my graphics card for BF3.

I cant decide between a GTX570 or a GTX580.

I have the money for either, I just don't know if the 580 is actually worth $150 more then the 570.
I will be running @ 1680x1050 for the time being. So 570 or 580?
Trying to order ASAP to get ready for the beta.

Any advice?

I would say get a 6950 and oc/unlock it but I'm not sure if that option is still open. As for your question, a 570 is good enough for 1680x1050. Better to save and get the 570 if you must... the current generation AMD cards will soon be a year old.

BF3 will probably not be that much more GPU demanding that BC2. If anything, a more powerful CPU will benefit much more with BF3 for FB2 engine and 64 players.

Awesome. Thanks for your help guys.
I am kinda of diehard eVGA guy. I'm gonna order an EVGA SuperClocked GTX 570 in the morning. Seemed like the best deal. Probably get a new case too. :D

Now only if this beta will hurry up and come. I almost done with dead space 2..

Honestly, if you have the cash for either kind of card, go with the better one. Later on if you decide to get a higher resolution monitor (aka, physically larger) then youll have the extra horsepower already waiting to run it instead of having to buy another card.

Beta is out on the 29th -- see the link below that was posted to twitter for the details.

Battlefield: Join the Battlefield 3 Multiplayer Beta on September 29th! http://t.co/MDNL8leJ #BF3

If it is an announcement that the beta is out in a week, they are hardly blowing the ass off of anything.

This has got to be either the beta is out today, or in the next few days.

Minimum System Requirements
PROCESSOR: 2 GHZ DUAL CORE (CORE 2 DUO 2.4 GHZ OR ALTHON X2 2.7 GHZ)
MEMORY: 2 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD (AMD): DIRECTX 10.1 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (ATI RADEON 3000, 4000, 5000 OR 6000 SERIES, WITH ATI RADEON 3870 OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
GRAPHICS CARD (NVIDIA): DIRECTX 10.0 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 OR 500 SERIES WITH NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
SOUND CARD: DIRECTX COMPATIBLE
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
DVD ROM DRIVE

Recommended System Requirements
PROCESSOR: QUAD-CORE CPU
MEMORY: 4 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD: DIRECTX 11 COMPATIBLE WITH 1024 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 OR ATI RADEON 6950)
SOUND CARD: DIRECTX COMPATIBLE
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
DVD ROM DRIVE
Those are some hefty recommended requirements...yay!

It is a place holder, has to be. If you read it, it also says the game mode is rush and map is Metro.

I...kinda think your in denial dude....all the FAQs are complete and consistant in dates..wish I am wrong though...

Edit: Yes, you are in denial, if you check Zh1nt0's twitter page he's got lots of posts and is also confirming the beta is on 29th. http://twitter.com/#!/zh1nt0

I like how they tried to hide the "Rush" and "Operation Metro" with a white font against an almost white background (that portion of the background at least)

I like how they tried to hide the "Rush" and "Operation Metro" with a white font against an almost white background (that portion of the background at least)

I see no background, just black so it stands out nice and bold for me...though the FAQ question, "I SEE THERE ARE SERVERS UP FOR A SECOND MAP ON PC. CAN I ACCESS AND PLAY THIS MAP?" won't expand for me so hopefully thats not a glitch on the page and they are gonna announce an additional map for us to fuck eachother up on in the beta.

Grr....can't figure out how to link to a specific tweet but when Zh1nt0 was asked if a single GTX 580 would run the game on ultra settings he says you'd need 2...eeexxcceeellleeennnttt...

so 27th is when it comes out for those that pre ordered, and can only play till October 10th.. eh, not bad. Cmon 27th!!

I don't think announcing a later date for a beta constitutes as blowing off the pants of the internet.

I see no background, just black so it stands out nice and bold for me...though the FAQ question, "I SEE THERE ARE SERVERS UP FOR A SECOND MAP ON PC. CAN I ACCESS AND PLAY THIS MAP?" won't expand for me so hopefully thats not a glitch on the page and they are gonna announce an additional map for us to fuck eachother up on in the beta.

Looks like the site was getting hammered so much it wasn't loading properly for me and causing the white text to show over the white background, it appears to be fixed now.

Code:
				<div class="beta-faq-q">
					<a class="q" href="#">I SEE THERE ARE SERVERS UP FOR A SECOND MAP ON PC. CAN I ACCESS AND PLAY THIS MAP?</a></div>
				<div class="beta-faq-q">
					<div>
						<p>
							No. THIS MAP IS ONLY FOR INTERNAL BACK-END TESTS.</p>
					</div>
				</div>

Code:
				<div class="beta-faq-q">
					<a class="q" href="#">I SEE THERE ARE SERVERS UP FOR A SECOND MAP ON PC. CAN I ACCESS AND PLAY THIS MAP?</a></div>
				<div class="beta-faq-q">
					<div>
						<p>
							No. THIS MAP IS ONLY FOR INTERNAL BACK-END TESTS.</p>
					</div>
				</div>

lol, thanks for linking the pages code...didnt think of that...so its just broken code :(

So it's the same map and mode. Man... really blowing the doors off. If it wasn't so good I'd be upset. Still kinda am, but I think the beta will prove to be a better experience for Rush-Metro, than the Alpha.

Alpha was missing basic features, so yeah it will be better.

However, they stated before the beta would be conquest, and i could have sworn they stated it would be 64 players on PC.

Kick in the balls it being Operation Comatose, again. So essentially this means that the game will launch, they'll get fed a bunch of feedback about other bugs and tweaks needed for other vehicles then take even more time to implement these changes, despite the fact they had this opportunity to get it done for release. Genius..

2x GTX 580's needed for Ultra quality.
Source

Hardly a source really though aye? Lets see some performance reviews at least.

While we're talking about the official requirements up on the Beta site. Do you think that's for the game in total or just the same damn Metro level again?

Given how buggy BC2 was on release, I think it is going to be an eye opener seeing what state BF3 is in at retail without conquest mode having been stress tested by the community beforehand.

Given how buggy BC2 was on release, I think it is going to be an eye opener seeing what state BF3 is in at retail without conquest mode having been stress tested by the community beforehand.

Theyre digging themselves a Hole imo. Vehicles in this (Jets and helis in paticular) have had the most questions asked and dice give little to no responses based on those questions. I can see lots of angst due to unbalanced this or that, vehicle "x" handling like a squished turd, etc etc.

Theyre digging themselves a Hole imo. Vehicles in this (Jets and helis in paticular) have had the most questions asked and dice give little to no responses based on those questions. I can see lots of angst due to unbalanced this or that, vehicle "x" handling like a squished turd, etc etc.

Even if they released a Conquest mode, what would prevent the community from saying those things at launch anyway? "Oh, DICE still hasn't fixed X from the beta!"
Every game has issues in the beginning. Adapt and overcome.

Nice, I leave on a business trip on the 28th and come back the following Monday

/preordered

//stabs self

Even if they released a Conquest mode, what would prevent the community from saying those things at launch anyway? "Oh, DICE still hasn't fixed X from the beta!"
Every game has issues in the beginning. Adapt and overcome.

Probably because it would give DICE the opportunity to address such issues before or soon after release :rolleyes:

Those types of issues are also quite apart from knowing and experiencing how their netcode now handles latency with 64 users on a server. Perhaps they would prefer for people not to know until they have handed over their cash.

Lots of games may have issues in the beginning, but there is a difference between unforeseen teething problems and game breaking rage inducing bugginess that generally plagues DICE games at release which could have been avoided.

ah this is just too much for me :( I think I might leave the "no steam no BF3" thing and bite

Because people that played it woukd know it was BS? They just pissed away a good opportunity to get the game upto scratch on launch, all theyre doing is essentially showing what changes they made to Metro.

I can only assume that the vehicular combat will be fine tuned so well as to be bug free, then again this is the same company that released BC2 with Heli controls on par with an arthritic Turtle, and it didn't even have functioning countermeasures for Heli's till much later..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back