Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need the PS4 or xbox720, would cost less than building a new PC or even upgrading my PC now.

As long as there is keyboard and mouse support that is.

yeah and you could build one for the same price using the same 2 year old technology that is used in the console..

xbox 360 came out in 2005 but the hardware used in it came out in 2003, xbox came out in 2001 but the hardware used in it was from the late 90's.. R&D takes roughly 2-3 years which means by the time its finished its already out dated by 2-3 generations of processors and graphics.

so no we don't need the PS4 or xbox 720.

The whole "COD killer" business is IMO totally dependent on marketing now. DICE has already proved it can make better games than COD - it's upto EA to market the game well. EA's marketing is always somewhere between "adequate" (Crysis 2) and "downright terrible" (Dante's Inferno, Dead Space 2).

The first two gameplay trailers were really good but the third one was far less impressive and the 12-minute video had nothing new of significance after being overhyped. They need to up the ante again and keep it consistent if EA really wants to kill COD in both sales and online longevity, especially since COD sells itself.

EA is already running commercials during the NBA playoffs which I'm sure isn't cheap. From the looks of it they're taking this BF3 vs COD very seriously and intend to shell a lot of money into advertising.

What I'm really interested in is how threaded bf3 is going to be. As I understand it now BC2 is very well threaded AND is very IPC sensitive. So if BF3 comes out and can use 6+ cores as BC2 can now use 4 I'm wondering what the possibilities are. With bulldozer coming out will AMD's 6 core thubans become stupid cheap and then I have a ridiculously cheap 6 core just in time for BF3?

I can only hope :)

What I'm really interested in is how threaded bf3 is going to be. As I understand it now BC2 is very well threaded AND is very IPC sensitive. So if BF3 comes out and can use 6+ cores as BC2 can now use 4 I'm wondering what the possibilities are. With bulldozer coming out will AMD's 6 core thubans become stupid cheap and then I have a ridiculously cheap 6 core just in time for BF3?

I can only hope :)

its using a far more advanced version of the havok engine then what was even used on BFBC2. they have a video demo showing the havok engine on i believe a 128 core system. there is no limit on how far the havok engine can scale but the engine its self only supports physical cores vs logical cores(hyperthreaded cores) since they don't add any performance advantage with the engine. thats why you always see the people with i7's complaining about how the game doesn't use more then 4 or 6 threads. which theres a good reason for that.

as far as the x6's, no they won't really get stupid cheap since am3 processors will work on am3+ motherboards so they will still have a demand that will keep the prices up. i would expect them to drop to what the x4 phenom II's are but i don't think they will drop all that much until LGA-2011 comes out in Q4 of this year.

its using a far more advanced version of the havok engine then what was even used on BFBC2. they have a video demo showing the havok engine on i believe a 128 core system. there is no limit on how far the havok engine can scale but the engine its self only supports physical cores vs logical cores(hyperthreaded cores) since they don't add any performance advantage with the engine. thats why you always see the people with i7's complaining about how the game doesn't use more then 4 or 6 threads. which theres a good reason for that.

as far as the x6's, no they won't really get stupid cheap since am3 processors will work on am3+ motherboards so they will still have a demand that will keep the prices up. i would expect them to drop to what the x4 phenom II's are but i don't think they will drop all that much until LGA-2011 comes out in Q4 of this year.

I was under the impression that the Havok engine was not a game engine but a physics engine, not sure but regardless it's been stated quite extensively that bf3 is using frostbite 2 which has not been used in any previous game. Also, while AM3+ will work in AM3 boards, there are sure to be features that do not work, such as the turbo feature, though we won't know what will/will not work until they are released and tested. Because of this, AM3 processors are going to get cheaper.

Havok is a physics engine that is being used by Frostbite. If it's possible for the Havok engine to scale to 128 cores, then it's most likely possible for them to implement it in FB 2.0 so that it scales to 128 cores. This only means that the physics processing will be that scalable, but it's something.

I was under the impression that the Havok engine was not a game engine but a physics engine, not sure but regardless it's been stated quite extensively that bf3 is using frostbite 2 which has not been used in any previous game.

Havock is a physics middle-ware that can be plugged into game engines. Developers hack and tweak the software as needed to fit with the engine they are going to use. To build your own physics engine is extremely time consuming and difficult, which is why very few do it any more(Crytek being one of them). If you ever watch a game's intro videos and credits, you'll see Havok, Speed Tree, and a lot of other logos. Those are pieces of middleware being used in various game engines.

I'm just guessing I'll have to update my e5300 cpu, 4gb of ram and xfx4850 to play this game. lol

I'm just guessing I'll have to update my e5300 cpu, 4gb of ram and xfx4850 to play this game. lol
Believe it or not, your CPU would be a bigger bottleneck than your video card. There is even a thread on here that shows a guy going from an older Core 2 quad to an i5 and doubling his framerates with same video card.

I play BC2 on medium settings, DX10 mode, 2xAA 4xAF, at 1600x1200 resolution and manage 45fps. I have a slow AMD quad and the same video card as you, see sig for specs. I have clan-mates who run the game with the newer GTX 2xx and GTX4xx cards but are running dual core. They can barely run higher graphics settings without lagging out big time. I have another clan mate with a Hexa core and a gtx470 and he can nearly max out the game and barely ever lags.

Well I upgraded ahead of time as mentioned much earlier in thread. Specs in sig. I went with GTX 580. Pretty GD thrilled with the performance so far. Can't wait to get BF3 on this sucker. I know it's going to kick ass. I've been rediscovering BFBC2 since getting everything set up. The sound is unbelievable with the X-FI in Dolby Digital to Z5500.

Well I upgraded ahead of time as mentioned much earlier in thread. Specs in sig. I went with GTX 580. Pretty GD thrilled with the performance so far. Can't wait to get BF3 on this sucker. I know it's going to kick ass. I've been rediscovering BFBC2 since getting everything set up. The sound is unbelievable with the X-FI in Dolby Digital to Z5500.

IMO you should not upgrade for some game that is not out yet if you were satisfied with your previous system. By the time the game is out you probably would get a GPU that is faster than GTX580 for the same amount of money.

IMO you should not upgrade for some game that is not out yet if you were satisfied with your previous system. By the time the game is out you probably would get a GPU that is faster than GTX580 for the same amount of money.

Possibly. But as an owner of the 580, I can tell you I cant wait for the new GPUs to ship. Cause when they do I can pick up another 580 for alot cheaper than now, pop them into SLI and have SICK performance! :D

Battlefield 3 playable at Eurogamer Expo (September 22-25, 2011)

by Tom Bramwell
5/05/2011 @ 16:25

We've told you it's going to be bigger, and we've told you it's going to be longer, but so far we haven't been able to tell you about the games.

That changes today. We're delighted to reveal that Electronic Arts will be out in force at the Eurogamer Expo 2011, allowing you to go hands-on with its biggest games of the year before they come out – including the mighty Battlefield 3.

The Eurogamer Expo takes place at Earls Court in London from 22nd to 25th September, and tickets are on sale now at early-bird prices.

And of course it wouldn't be a Eurogamer Expo without some highly competitive multiplayer football action, so do make sure to leave time for FIFA 12, which is probably also where you will find Eurogamer staff during unauthorised "coffee breaks". (I will take on all comers.)

We'll also be announcing more EA games nearer showtime.

This year's Expo promises our best ever line-up of Developer Sessions too, and EA studios will be on hand to show you their latest games in our massive auditoriums. If you like hearing how things are made and finding out exclusive details, look out for the Developer Session line-up closer to the Expo.

EA is just the tip of the iceberg, too. Look out for more announcements in the coming weeks and months as we build up to our biggest Expo ever. We want you to play the biggest games as early as possible in the most comfortable conditions, and we can't wait to see you there!

Possibly. But as an owner of the 580, I can tell you I cant wait for the new GPUs to ship. Cause when they do I can pick up another 580 for alot cheaper than now, pop them into SLI and have SICK performance! :D

Same for me...but I might need a new PSU before that happens :-p

You're right. But I didn't upgrade just for BF3. The release date announcement got me thinking about it, then Crysis 2 was playing somewhat choppy and then I got onto a project that was slowed down considerably by the speed of my primary system. I have a design/animation business so the only gaming aspect of my PCs is the video card choice. I paid more for the system HD on this machine than I did for the video card... that was a first. I'm still inside 30 days and debating whether to return the GTX580 for an HD6990... but I am really liking the smoothness of this card... after years running the X1900XTX CF then having a 4870X2, I really feel like I was never able to get a smooth experience from CrossFire. Source games especially never felt liquid smooth unless I turned off CF altogether. So screw dual GPUs.

If the system doesn't pwn BF3 when it comes out, I will sell the GTX580 and upgrade to whatever's fastest at the time. Or, possibly, give Nvidia SLI a try with another 580. Although with my mobo I think that might require me to remove my X-Fi Titanium and that ain't gonna happen.

CVG preview of BF3 for the PS3. Nothing officially new but they make some assumptions. Whether those assumptions came from official sources is anyone's guess. ;)

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...efield-3-will-it-steal-call-of-dutys-thunder/

From that:
"How? No-one likes a camper in COD, lying in the dark corner of a room, covering the only entrance. Try that in Battlefield 3 and you'll get a short, sharp RPG coming through the wall. No more cover, no more camping."

Well that's a bunch of crap if you include Black Ops in his description, because there are no one-entrance rooms in Black Ops, any attempt to camp a spot results in grenade and RPG rape, and REAL sniping, let alone camping, is all but impossible in that game. Sniping is much more satisfying in Bad Company 2 despite the lack of crouching, because the characters blend better with the terrain and the maps provide more open areas and more properly-designed buildings (but you can still blow new entrances in them easily as well). Hopefully they DON'T take a page from Black Ops and make crappy maps with no good sniping spots. I'm not too worried about it though, because BC2 has excellent maps with plenty of variety that allows for all sorts of playstyles (unlike Black Ops).

Last edited:
From that:
"How? No-one likes a camper in COD, lying in the dark corner of a room, covering the only entrance. Try that in Battlefield 3 and you'll get a short, sharp RPG coming through the wall. No more cover, no more camping."

Well that's a bunch of crap if you include Black Ops in his description, because there are no one-entrance rooms in Black Ops, any attempt to camp a spot results in grenade and RPG rape, and REAL sniping, let alone camping, is all but impossible in that game. Sniping is much more satisfying in Bad Company 2 despite the lack of crouching, because the characters blend better with the terrain and the maps provide more open areas and more properly-designed buildings (but you can still blow new entrances in them easily as well). Hopefully they DON'T take a page from Black Ops and make crappy maps with no good sniping spots. I'm not too worried about it though, because BC2 has excellent maps with plenty of variety that allows for all sorts of playstyles (unlike Black Ops).

i wouldn't worry about them going the COD route. the bigger issue on consoles is how much the consoles can handle graphically and in map size along with how much processing physics it can handle. it will be interesting to see how much they they have to remove to make it playable on consoles.

i wouldn't worry about them going the COD route. the bigger issue on consoles is how much the consoles can handle graphically and in map size along with how much processing physics it can handle. it will be interesting to see how much they they have to remove to make it playable on consoles.

I don't have a source but I recall reading that they're designing the maps for 64 player PC mayhem but they've made them (are making them?) easily scalable to smaller sized maps for consoles. So they'd make huge map for 64 players and then take a chunk out of the middle or something that would be playable for 32 players. They also said that jets will have a greater "out-of-bounds" limit outside the infantry zones so the jets have some leeway as far as being able to maneuver easily.

The one thing they BETTER improve upon in BF3 is network code/performance/optimization or whatever you want to call it. I've gotten disconnected from BC2 more often than any other MP FPS I've ever played. Anyone else have that experience? BF2 was solid after the 2nd patch but it doesn't seem to me they ever improved that in BC2.

The one thing they BETTER improve upon in BF3 is network code/performance/optimization or whatever you want to call it. I've gotten disconnected from BC2 more often than any other MP FPS I've ever played. Anyone else have that experience? BF2 was solid after the 2nd patch but it doesn't seem to me they ever improved that in BC2.

theres a lot they need to do with the net code. but the advantage is that BF3 is starting on PC which means it should have a true PC dedicated server net code instead of a modified P2P net code to dedicated server net code that they are currently using in BC2. as far as disconnects and problems with BC2 i think i must be one of the few people that never have problems with the game. i never get disconnects and the only crashes i get in the game are thanks to nvidia's garbage drivers.

I don't have a source but I recall reading that they're designing the maps for 64 player PC mayhem but they've made them (are making them?) easily scalable to smaller sized maps for consoles. So they'd make huge map for 64 players and then take a chunk out of the middle or something that would be playable for 32 players. They also said that jets will have a greater "out-of-bounds" limit outside the infantry zones so the jets have some leeway as far as being able to maneuver easily.

yes you are correct on all parts. but theres still a fine line on whats to big and whats to small of a map. though i'm sure consolers would rather have smaller maps then larger maps. you couldn't pay me to try and be a sniper in BF3 trying stare at a 1080p tv to see the guy a half mile away. so my guess is they may stick to heavy metal size maps for consoles. would be the perfect balance in my opinion.

Not to get too far off track but I found that my router was the entire problem with BC2 not connecting/early disconnecting. Removed the router from the equation and it worked everytime...have you tried such a thing....if your behind one that is.

I've honestly never disconnected from a BC2 match (that wasn't a punkbuster issue or an Internet/Router problem on my end)

I played a fair amount of BF2 and wouldn't put disconnects on my complaint list at all. Things like server browser and squad persistence (non-existance of) rank much higher on my list.

Anyone know if BF3's pre-order from D2D will work with Steam?

I know this is a while away, but D2D has a 25% of promo that works with BF3 and I want to make sure when they release the keys that it will work with Steam!

Anyone know if BF3's pre-order from D2D will work with Steam?

I know this is a while away, but D2D has a 25% of promo that works with BF3 and I want to make sure when they release the keys that it will work with Steam!

you would just download the game from D2D, install, then add the game as a non steam game in your steam program.

Brink is a Steamworks game, that's why it activates over steam

BF3 isn't

I reckon it will be a cold day in hell before EA ships any of their games integrated with steam works (apart from HL2 when it shipped).

Last edited:
I reckon it will be a cold day in hell before EA ships any of their games integrated with steam works (apart from HL2 when it shipped).

Still would be nice, considering I pretty much only use Steam for everything now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back