Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon it will be a cold day in hell before EA ships any of their games integrated with steam works (apart from HL2 when it shipped).

Uh..don't forget The Orange Box, Portal 2, L4D/2...EA published (retail at least), but yeah, other than Valve games I don't see EA using Steamworks.

Also noticed at EA's store BF3 will be a $60 game even on PC. :( Oh well, I'll still buy it. :p

Uh..don't forget The Orange Box, Portal 2, L4D/2...EA published (retail at least), but yeah, other than Valve games I don't see EA using Steamworks.

Also noticed at EA's store BF3 will be a $60 game even on PC. :( Oh well, I'll still buy it. :p

Go to Direct 2 Drive, use promo code SIZZLE, 25% off!

twitter.com/Battlefield: "Stay tuned tomorrow for the very first images and new info on the Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand expansion pack! #BF3"

Includes interviews with the Lead Designer of Back to Karkand and the designer of the original Strike at Karkand map from Battlefield 2. - From the Battlefield Facebook page

i got the MoH from steam just to qualify for the bf3 beta phase. i'm sure it'll be worth it

I also bought MOH yesterday during the sale, but not for the BF3 beta. I think only pre purchasers are eligible (ie. before it's actual release), as that was the deal. If you look closely too, you'll see your MOH copy is stated as "Standard version", rather than Limited Edition or whatever they called it.

Or maybe they changed it and made it available to all MOH owners. :confused:

twitter.com/Battlefield: "Stay tuned tomorrow for the very first images and new info on the Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand expansion pack! #BF3"

Includes interviews with the Lead Designer of Back to Karkand and the designer of the original Strike at Karkand map from Battlefield 2. - From the Battlefield Facebook page

Some hardware requirement information would be nice...

So we haven't even heard wind of a release date and they're already pimping their expansion pack?

I dunno, more maps are great and all, but I'd much rather hear about the core experience/game instead of their planned expansion packs.

I also bought MOH yesterday during the sale, but not for the BF3 beta. I think only pre purchasers are eligible (ie. before it's actual release), as that was the deal. If you look closely too, you'll see your MOH copy is stated as "Standard version", rather than Limited Edition or whatever they called it.

Or maybe they changed it and made it available to all MOH owners. :confused:

it's stated on the MoH steampage that if you buy it you get the bf3 beta key. so it must be still available. i also think it may be the limited edition since i have early acces to some snipe

BF3 from direct2drive is not the limited edition. I'm having issues trying to get a refund from them.

I thought all preorder copies were converted into the limited edition. Worst case if you don't get a refund the Karkand maps will come out about a month after release for everyone else.

I am going to be getting this, the only thing i am wondering if there will be going to be as big of a competitive league as there was in BF2 back in the day.

I thought all preorder copies were converted into the limited edition. Worst case if you don't get a refund the Karkand maps will come out about a month after release for everyone else.

you are correct, sir. Note: now it looks like the Return to Karkand DLC is coming out after the main game, not simultaneous.

==================================================

Going Back to Karkand #3: Introducing Gulf of Oman and Sharqi Peninsula

BY: HBrun
POSTED : May 25, 2011, 12:00AM

Yours at no extra charge on pre-order.

Part III in a behind the scenes series on Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand

We've covered off two of the maps in the pre-order bonus Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand. Today, we have some early concepts from the two remaining maps for you, as well as some clarification on how to get your hands on them. Read on.

Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand contains four classic Battlefield maps reimagined with the power of the new Frostbite 2 game engine. We've covered off Strike at Karkand and Wake Island in our previous blog posts, which leaves Gulf of Oman and Sharqi Peninsula.

Below, you can see some very early concept art that we designed here at DICE to get a feel for what these new versions could feel like. Don't read too much into them, though, as concept art will never be proof of features, content, or even final visual design.

By the way, there's absolutely no way you can pre-order Battlefield 3 and not end up with the Limited Edition. Battlefield 3: Limited Edition in turn entitles you to the expansion pack Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand once it is released (after launch, date to be confirmed). If you pre-order, this bonus content will be yours at no extra charge. If you do not pre-order, you will still be able to buy it when it is released (price to be confirmed). The goal from the separate development team behind it is to make it every bit as ambitious and full of content as Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam. Closer to the launch of the base game, we will be able to show you just what that means.

On another note, if you want a chance to play on three of these classic Battlefield maps (namely Strike at Karkand, Gulf of Oman, and Sharqi Peninsula), they are all available in the excellent Battlefield Play4Free.

The graphic settings in the BF3 trailers that have been released so far weren't even at max settings! :eek:

The BF3 Demo was, understandably, showcased on a rather beastly PC. What better way to show off the visual prowess of the Frostbite 2 engine, right?

Interestingly, although a bit hazy on the specifics of the hardware, Patrick told us (Atomic) that the demo was played on a computer with standard high-end components and a single NVIDIA 580 Video card.

According to Patrick, the minimum requirements for running BF3 on PC are quite reasonable.
"Without going into detail, if you have a PC with equivalent hardware matching the consoles - not CPU per CPU, but matching output, thats your low spec."

He went on to claim that the computer that will be able to run BF3 on Full settings has yet to be Built.

I wonder why I always seem to hate the maps everyone else loves. Couldn't stand Karkand when it was released, much preferred Mashtuur City and Sharqi. Same in BC2, everyone loves Valparaiso but I would rather eat my own shit than play it.

I hope they remake a few more of the older maps. Especially the good ones.

Hot damn that blondes smokin.

Is there any actual MP footage, or just the same rehash SP footage we've been seeing for the last few months?

Is there any actual MP footage, or just the same rehash SP footage we've been seeing for the last few months?

Naw, only SP stuff so far.

If there isn't a PC that yet exists that can run BF3 at max settings then I'm a bit frightened. :eek: It's only 6 months away from release. Is there that much hardware horsepower waiting out there to push this engine to the max at playable settings? It just seems like an odd statement. :confused:

Hot damn that blondes smokin.

She is pretty fuckin hot. :p The maps don't look to bad either lol.

Naw, only SP stuff so far.

If there isn't a PC that yet exists that can run BF3 at max settings then I'm a bit frightened. :eek: It's only 6 months away from release. Is there that much hardware horsepower waiting out there to push this engine to the max at playable settings? It just seems like an odd statement. :confused:

Apparently Crytek said the same thing in the run-up to Crysis being released.

Apparently Crytek said the same thing in the run-up to Crysis being released.

I just read his comment but it's very vague. Has yet to be built? Does that mean they haven't built one capable of max settings in house there for testing? Or does it mean one can't be built because the parts don't even exist? I HIGHLY doubt that somehow. NO fucking way they have it THAT scaleable. This game has to run on consoles remember that guys. So if they have it looking that good and running good on a, presumably quad core I7 box with a single GTX 580, you're telling me a nice OC'd I7 (Nehalem or SB) and SLI (400/500series or AMD eqv) SLI/Tri-SLI/Quad-Sli can't max it out? Why do I seriously doubt this? I remember how much of a resource hog BF2 was when it came out and I remember that was the first game to make us all upgrade to 2 gigs of ram for smooth gameplay but none the less the industry has changed since then. I really really have my doubts that you simply can't built a machine RIGHT NOW capable of maxing this game out with great FPS in MP. I think he meant they haven't built a box in house yet to max it or he isn't taking multi gpu systems into account when making that statement. Since if that was the case ....why wouldnt they just showcase the game on an SLI or tri sli rig? Makes no sense.

I wonder why I always seem to hate the maps everyone else loves. Couldn't stand Karkand when it was released, much preferred Mashtuur City and Sharqi. Same in BC2, everyone loves Valparaiso but I would rather eat my own shit than play it.

I hope they remake a few more of the older maps. Especially the good ones.

I didn't like Karkand as much either the start of the map was too nade spammy.

Wake Island however was my favorite BF2 map. Over 90 Hours logged into Wake Island alone.

Sharqi Peninsula map was where I got 95 kills and 1 death (1 death from an angry enemy who swapped teams to fly the transport helicopter into ours :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back