Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend that wants to give me his key. How can I go about using it if the bf3 site tells me I don't meet the requirements? It's because he doesn't have a very current computer and I do more so.

Just tell him to give you the key. Redeem it in Origin and voila, you can download the alpha trial.

Hurray I got into alpha! :)

Finally I've never been invited into anything...except swtor beta but the patcher never worked. :p

just played a 3-4 rounds and while just alpha it looks very promising.
playing in a window and not being able to change my res though is killing me, I think it's stuck @ 1024 or 1280

Once in the game, hit escape to get to the options and select fullsreen.

Great....completely hyped to try the alpha for the first time and now battlelog is down for updating. Based on what I have seen so far, I think I am really going DISDAIN origin's integration into BF3.

Great....completely hyped to try the alpha for the first time and now battlelog is down for updating. Based on what I have seen so far, I think I am really going DISDAIN origin's integration into BF3.

What does Origin have to do with it? Battelog is not Origin.

Doesn't stop it from being utterly retarded (half the people don't even have PCs or have never, nor want to, play a BF game).

Considering my email started like this:

Hi Battlefield Player,

As one of our valued and trusted Battlefield players, we are happy to invite you to participate in the Battlefield 3 Alpha Trial. All the instructions you need to join are printed below.

I'm guessing they went out to players of Bad Company 2 on PC... I'd think they would be a little smarter than to just send them randomly to anyone with an EA account.

What does Origin have to do with it? Battelog is not Origin.

So far from what I have seen you have to be logged into Origin, then you have click on BF3, and then you get taken to the Battlelog portal where you have to login again. I am hoping that BF3 has a standard in-game UI and server browser so I don't have to jump through these horse shit hoops just play a game.

This game is wonderfully optimized.

I'm using an 8800 GTS 512 at the moment as my GTX 570 is currently being RMA'd, but the game still runs very smoothly, even at 'High' settings (which will probably be equivalent to medium or something in the final game).

Downclock that cpu to 1.8 ghz and post again :p

So far from what I have seen you have to be logged into Origin, then you have click on BF3, and then you get taken to the Battlelog portal where you have to login again. I am hoping that BF3 has a standard in-game UI and server browser so I don't have to jump through these horse shit hoops just play a game.

You're right. Just tried closing Origin and it told me I can't because the Alpha is running. Great job EA kill one of the biggest things I liked about Origin. Bloody morons.

capturekqf.jpg

YAY!!

Still cant get the alpha page to work, oh well just going to have to share my brothers account, lucky for me he got the invite 12 hours before he flys out to go on holiday for a week :)

I managed to play 2 rounds before going to sleep last night.

Kinda sucks it's rush only, but I'll live :D

Just gotta get used to rush mode.. played maybe 3 rounds of rush in 250+hours of bad company 2 lol...

There are so many things I find frustrating with this alpha that I am not sure whether they are alpha issues or foreboding signs of what will be the end product. In any event it is virtually unplayable for me because DICE did not think it worthwhile to include the ability to customize controls. What an anti-climax :(

OMG guys, its not a system thats just gonna say oops and let you in. Once they add you to the database of people able to participate, a generic ass email will be sent out automatically informing you of your invite. Its not like someone is sitting there pushing the deny button everytime you make the request.

There are so many things I find frustrating with this alpha that I am not sure whether they are alpha issues or foreboding signs of what will be the end product. In any event it is virtually unplayable for me because DICE did not think it worthwhile to include the ability to customize controls. What an anti-climax :(

She's just teasing you, youll get a bigger taste of her goodies when the game releases :D

Played some last night. Was pleasantly surprised I could run it lag free on an ATI HD4850 at 1600x1200 res on auto settings. Tonight I am going to crank the settings on auto and run FRAPS to see what I can really do. The auto settings look good, but nothing spectactular. Damn I wish I had a DX11 card.

Even though I have seen my share of bugs (it is an Alpha after all), I can already tell that the game engine is heavily improved upon from Bad Company 2... :D

Its an ALPHA, good lord people, not even to a beta stage yet. The control mapping menu probably wasn't finished so it wasn't included in this build.

You're right. Just tried closing Origin and it told me I can't because the Alpha is running. Great job EA kill one of the biggest things I liked about Origin. Bloody morons.

There is a pretty long thread in the alpha feedback forums bitching about this. Have already posted my 2 cents worth.

Its an ALPHA, good lord people, not even to a beta stage yet. The control mapping menu probably wasn't finished so it wasn't included in this build.

Why are you getting mad at people for complaining about stuff in an Alpha build? The entire damn point is to get FEEDBACK from TESTERS. People who bitch at people for talking about issues in alpha/beta builds need to shut the heck up for a minute and realize what these things are for.

Why are you getting mad at people for complaining about stuff in an Alpha build? The entire damn point is to get FEEDBACK from TESTERS. People who bitch at people for talking about issues in alpha/beta builds need to shut the heck up for a minute and realize what these things are for.

So you think there WILL NOT be custom controls in the final game? I have been a software engineer for years, I know what an Alpha build is for.

So you think there WILL NOT be custom controls in the final game? I have been a software engineer for years, I know what an Alpha build is for.

The fact that its alpha doesn't make it any less frustrating to test. Why the hell not just include it to make people's lives easier. As it is I don't have much motivation to get back into the demo knowing that I am going to have to fumble around with the shitty default control scheme.

Am also yet to figure out whether BF3 can be added to the steam overlay, anyone have any luck with this?

So, I'm Veteran 6, and no invite, anyone want to send me one? :(

To those that did get one, how's the game? Is it more like BF2 or like BFBC3?

Played about an hour and so far its pretty good. It doesnt really have the same feel as BC2 and I can't remember BF2 well enough to say it feels like that game either. Actually, and this will sound negative but its not meant to, it kinda feels like BFPlay4Free. The FEEL....definately not the look or gameplay of it. Part of this might be because you have to launch the game through the browser...which I really don't like but doesnt really effect gameply...just a personal preference.

Players really seem to blend well into the foilage which makes the 3D spotting extremely helpful but that could also be me still getting used to the game. The weapons seem to have been tweaked since that last video I saw where the AK looked like it was on mount...there is definate recoil on all the weapons ive used thus far. The damage notifier seems to need a bit of work...ive turned towards the direction of fire a few times now and nobody has been in that direction (ie rock to my left and notifier shoots red on the left side).

Overall, exactly the game I was expecting it to be so far...can't wait to get a taste of the rest (ie planes, tanks, and automobiles :D )

Some little hardware nuggets:
Multi-core CPU aware: Taskman shows 100% CPU usage across all four cores.
Eyefinity is either unoptimized or "High" settings involves AA. Single screen 1920x1200 runs around 70-80fps but bump it up to 5760x1200 and it tanks to around 15-20fps. I know my CPU also is a limiting factor.
RAM: Appears to take about 2GB of ram all by itself. I dont have an exact number to go off of but the taskman graph shows I use 2.03 currently (outside of game) and its graphed about twice as high from when I was in game.

Hoping for an invite, but I only signed up a couple of dqys ago and a vet rank of 1. Still, I am happy to have had my swtor invite, I can eait on bf3 till it's out if need be ;).

3d spotting needs to get out. Its such BS. I mean spotting through fog, brushes is just not cool. Overall its fun though. Is there AA in this? I kept the graphics on Auto but I am not sure if its on High or Medium with my GTX 460. Either way looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back