Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here is the original story from EA: http://www.ea.com/news/electronic-arts-launches-origin. It only says that Battlefield 3 will be available from Origin (no kidding, it's the EA Store), and that "you’ll also be able to access exclusive game content and trailers" for Battlefield 3 (among other games) after E3.

I already ordered BF3 from Direct2Drive, so obviously it will not be digital download exclusive from Origin.

Does not say it is exclusive digital place to get it. In fact you can get it on Direct2Drive right now.

Here is the original story from EA: http://www.ea.com/news/electronic-arts-launches-origin. It only says that Battlefield 3 will be available from Origin (no kidding, it's the EA Store), and that "you’ll also be able to access exclusive game content and trailers" for Battlefield 3 (among other games) after E3.

I already ordered BF3 from Direct2Drive, so obviously it will not be digital download exclusive from Origin.

We'll probably get more info at E3 but BF3 currently on D2D doesn't mean it will stay there and that refunds won't be offered to pre-orders. Steam gave compulsory-refunds to a bunch of Australian users a few months ago when it inadvertedly made a game banned from sale in Australia available for purchase and download.

I am hoping the article I posted wasn't accurate, though. I don't want to see EA games be exclusive to its own service because we'll get no good Steam sales and non-US gamers will get fucked because the current EA Store doesn't extend its own sales to other territories.

sorry never used direct2drive before, downloading a game from them is like installing a physical copy? so you get an installer and a key without having to run it through another program?
I just tried EA origin and it’s ok but I too like to have everything in one place and I prefer to add the game to steam as non-steam game so others know I’m in-game.

Never using EA's crappy download service again. Looks like I'll be buying a hard copy of a game for the first time in years. Thanks EA. Everything else you are doing seems to be the right decision, but this.

Just buy the boxed retail like I had planned too. some games are worth physically owning anyway and this is one of em imo. Problem solved.

You'll still be able to get the game from other digital services. Are there that many illiterate people on these boards? Steam will have BF3...

You'll still be able to get the game from other digital services. Are there that many illiterate people on these boards? Steam will have BF3...

I would submit there are zero illiterate people on this board. I think there are a lot of sensationalists, however.

I'll be getting the boxed copy of this game so I don't care where it is or isn't available for digital purchase.

If it truly doesn't end up on Steam I will be king sensationalist #1. There is no way in hell I am using EA's shit or buying a physical copy.

If it truly doesn't end up on Steam I will be king sensationalist #1. There is no way in hell I am using EA's shit or buying a physical copy.

You're right about the king sensationalist #1 title. Why is it essential to own the game on Steam over retail, or the new EA service they're coming out with?

Many of us are vested in Steam. Every game I've bought in the last 5 years is on Steam. I like only needing to install one application on each of my machines and not having to worry about carrying physical media around or using EA's terrible service. That and Valve's customer service is 100x more useful than EA's.

I really don't care either way. I'll be getting a physical copy anyways. Why do people hate going to a store and picking it up? I've never understood the issue with this at all. Is it laziness or something else?

Cheaper, easier patching, easier management of your software, no travel required, pre-loading means you play the game the milisecond it's released, etc.

Cheaper? Maybe if you wait long enough for a decent sale, but in most cases I can buy physical copies cheaper than the online counterparts.

easier patching

The only software I have experienced that has decent auto patching is steam, but even then most games these days have automatic patching.

easier management of your software

Man people are getting lazy these days, do you honestly find it that difficult to manage your software?

no travel required

All delivered to my PO Box, no travel required.

pre-loading means you play the game the milisecond it's released, etc.

This is the only compelling advantage of digital distribution over physical copies, but there are few games that I can think (e.g. BF3) where the disadvantage of waiting a couple of days outweighs the monetary cost of buying the digital version.

This is the only compelling advantage of digital distribution over physical copies,

No, that is your opinion. Dont try stating it as a fact. I agree with his points, as do many others. Hold on to your physical copy all you want, there are plenty of people who dont want it anymore. Same as I dont buy CDs anymore either. Its just far easier for me to use digital content.

I dont want boxes and having to use the DVD every time I want to play the game. As well as what he mentioned. Dont like it? Too bad. Stick to your hard copy. It wont be an option forever.

Just seemed odd to swear loyalty to one platform. If the new EA service they're releasing is good, then why not use that if it's cheaper? It just seems a little naive to me. I can have a boxed copy through my letterbox the day before it's released.

It's unusual how many people still exercise brand loyalty.

I read through those articles 3 times. NO WHERE does it say that any of the games they listed (BF3, SWTOR, FIFA, etc.) will be EXCLUSIVE to EA's Origin service.

EA.com said:
And later this year, Origin will be the destination where you can purchase and download highly-anticipated EA games, including Battlefield 3 and FIFA 12.
The only thing ambiguous here is the word "the" before the word "destination." If you emphasize the word "THE" it makes it sound exclusive, but "exclusive" or any of it's synonyms were not used in that sentence. The word "the" was not even emphasized with bold, capitals, italics, or underlines.
EA.com said:
After EA’s press conference next week at the E3 Expo in Los Angeles, you’ll also be able to access exclusive game content and trailers for Mass Effect 3, FIFA 12, SSX, Need for Speed: The Run, STAR WARS: The Old Republic, The Sims 3 and Battlefield 3.
The only thing exclusive to Origin will be certain game content. There will be exclusive trailers which will end up on youtube anyways and possibly some useless DLC like the SPECACT kits for BC2.

Last edited:
No, that is your opinion. Dont try stating it as a fact. I agree with his points, as do many others. Hold on to your physical copy all you want, there are plenty of people who dont want it anymore. Same as I dont buy CDs anymore either. Its just far easier for me to use digital content.

I dont want boxes and having to use the DVD every time I want to play the game. As well as what he mentioned. Dont like it? Too bad. Stick to your hard copy. It wont be an option forever.

Don't worry, as long as I can buy 2 new games for the price of a single digital copy I will keep on doing that. Maybe I am just over estimating the intelligence of people but there has been nothing stopping you or anyone else from digitizing their physical copies of both software, music and videos for the past decade.

And yes it won't be an option forever, but that will be entirely thanks to the sheeple mindlessly relinquishing control for the sake of seeming convenience whereas in reality the end game will be consumers getting fucked in the ass by corporations which will exert total control over the content we pay for.

Cheaper? Maybe if you wait long enough for a decent sale, but in most cases I can buy physical copies cheaper than the online counterparts.

The only software I have experienced that has decent auto patching is steam, but even then most games these days have automatic patching.

Man people are getting lazy these days, do you honestly find it that difficult to manage your software?

All delivered to my PO Box, no travel required.

This is the only compelling advantage of digital distribution over physical copies, but there are few games that I can think (e.g. BF3) where the disadvantage of waiting a couple of days outweighs the monetary cost of buying the digital version.

I agree with all of this.

Placing all your desktop game shortcuts in one folder is too much of a hassle?
Is any game management software really needed for that?

Retail copies are cheaper at launch because there's always a promotion on new games.
Only D2D have coupons that are frequent enough to take advantage of their service.

Amazon, has same day delivery service with pre-orders. When Crysis 2 was released, Steam was sluggish and it took hours for users to download the game.
I had the game delivered after Steam launched the game, finished installing and playing before many of their users, while paying $15 less.

Game management sites like Steam and Origin etc. are overpriced for new releases, but are great for bargain bin sales.

Don't worry, as long as I can buy 2 new games for the price of a single digital copy I will keep on doing that.

There is no way you're getting physical media on launch date for half price.

Maybe I am just over estimating the intelligence of people but there has been nothing stopping you or anyone else from digitizing their physical copies of both software, music and videos for the past decade.

How much do you value your time? For me, I use Steam because I don't have to 'digitize' shit. It's just there, and I can put it on any machine whenever I want regardless of where that machine is located. Think this isn't important? Try travelling. I can show up wherever in the world I go and download whatever game I feel like playing within minutes. No discs required. No data bloating my hard drive, stealing free space on my laptop.

And yes it won't be an option forever, but that will be entirely thanks to the sheeple mindlessly relinquishing control for the sake of seeming convenience whereas in reality the end game will be consumers getting fucked in the ass by corporations which will exert total control over the content we pay for.

Video killed the radio star...

I really don't care either way. I'll be getting a physical copy anyways. Why do people hate going to a store and picking it up? I've never understood the issue with this at all. Is it laziness or something else?

Are you serious with that comment, No it not laziness, some folks work long hours and are up for 18 hours out of the day. and the last thing they want to do is spend $4 a gallon in gas in heavy traffic going to pick up a hard copy when all you need to do is click a fuckin button. Understand that !

Just seemed odd to swear loyalty to one platform. If the new EA service they're releasing is good, then why not use that if it's cheaper? It just seems a little naive to me. I can have a boxed copy through my letterbox the day before it's released.

It's unusual how many people still exercise brand loyalty.

EA store is run by EA. Not many people trust EA, for various good reasons. Also, I can usually expect Steam to have new releases from any developer or publisher on their site, how well do you think EA's service is going to do with branching out? I'll stick with Steam until someone without a vested interest in the content comes along and does a better job than valve.

Are you serious with that comment, No it not laziness, some folks work long hours and are up for 18 hours out of the day. and the last thing they want to do is spend $4 a gallon in gas in heavy traffic going to pick up a hard copy when all you need to do is click a fuckin button. Understand that !

If you're working 18 hour days 7 days a week where it's impossible to find time for yourself to pick up a game, maybe the last thing you should worry about is playing a game. I mean when would you find the time right?

Buy it from a distributor that carries online, get a hard copy from store or even MAILED to you or don't fuckin play it. Understand that!

If you're working 18 hour days 7 days a week where it's impossible to find time for yourself to pick up a game, maybe the last thing you should worry about is playing a game. I mean when would you find the time right?

Buy it from a distributor that carries online, get a hard copy from store or even MAILED to you or don't fuckin play it. Understand that!

Oh... sniff sniff, did i hurt your little feelers. have your mom make you another Peanut butter and jelly sandwich and it will be all better.

When I play. how I play is my business. making a blanket statement that people that use digital copies are lazy is an Ignorant statement.

Wipe the snot from your nose and move on

What the fuck is up with people yelling their opinions of digital vs physical at each other. I prefer digital, and I'm sure the positives of digital have been listed in this thread, and we've all read it elsewhere. The positives of hard copy have been listed already, here or elsewhere, and I understand why people would prefer that. Why the fuck would anyone care enough, or consider the other side so wrong that they would get worked up about it.

The post claiming BF3 won't be on steam was already pointed out as being sensationalist and most likely incorrect, so any more discussion about digital vs physical is a useless debate that doesn't belong in the thread.

Oh, and am I the only one that instantly considers a person a self righteous moron and completely disregards their entire argument the second they use the word sheeple, regardless of how much I do or don't agree with them?

I'd much rather think about how excited I am about BF3 info coming up from E3 when I read the BF3 thread. :D

What the fuck is up with people yelling their opinions of digital vs physical at each other. I prefer digital, and I'm sure the positives of digital have been listed in this thread, and we've all read it elsewhere. The positives of hard copy have been listed already, here or elsewhere, and I understand why people would prefer that. Why the fuck would anyone care enough, or consider the other side so wrong that they would get worked up about it.

The post claiming BF3 won't be on steam was already pointed out as being sensationalist and most likely incorrect, so any more discussion about digital vs physical is a useless debate that doesn't belong in the thread.

Oh, and am I the only one that instantly considers a person a self righteous moron and completely disregards their entire argument the second they use the word sheeple, regardless of how much I do or don't agree with them?

I'd much rather think about how excited I am about BF3 info coming up from E3 when I read the BF3 thread. :D
Thank You. The post is sensationalist, I already proved that. Nothing has been set in stone yet. Will the rest of you stfu already and get back to talking about how awesome battlefield is?

Oh... sniff sniff, did i hurt your little feelers. have your mom make you another Peanut butter and jelly sandwich and it will be all better.

When I play. how I play is my business. making a blanket statement that people that use digital copies are lazy is an Ignorant statement.

Bitter, table for one...Bitter, table for one...You get upset too easily. I'm not the one throwing a tantrum on some forum about a video game, lol. Just calm down, drink your Ensure and see what Dice has to say about distribution before you bust a blood vessel, lord.

Why the fuck would anyone care enough, or consider the other side so wrong that they would get worked up about it.

Anyone who's stubborn enough to NOT buy a game just because it isn't on Steam, or because they can't buy a boxed copy doesn't deserve to enjoy the game anyway. Stupid trivial crap.

It'd be pretty awesome if the biggest problem with the game was just it's distribution method.

Planet Battlefield has several pages related to E3:

E3 Section with important dates and times:

All the latest on Battlefield 3 from E3 2011

Live Streams

Planet Battlefield Coverage

--Twitter - @BattlefieldNews - Info, pictures, videos
--EA Press Conference Live Blog
--PBF Ustream Channel
--Picture Gallery
--Planet Battlefield front page

Important Dates & Times

EA Press Conference
Monday, June 6th @ 12:30pm PT / 3:30pm ET
Battlefield 3 Booth Stream
Tuesday, June 7th at 1:15 PT / 4:15 ET
IGN Live Show w/ Battlefield 3
Tuesday, June 7th @ 1:30pm PT / 4:30pm ET

TV Coverage

Spike TV
Gamechangers: EA 2011 Preview
Monday, June 6 at 12:30 PM PT / 3:30 PM ET

E3 Live Stream page:

EA Press Conference Stream
Monday, June 6th at 12:30pm PT / 3:30pm ET (Other Time Zones)

Official Battlefield 3 Booth Stream
Tuesday, June 7th at 1:15 PT / 4:15 ET (Other Time Zones)

Planet Battlefield UStream
Broadcasting at random times throughout all of E3. Watch our twitter for announcements - @BattlefieldNews. Recorded streams should display here.

Planet Battlefield Live Blog

IGN Live Show (Battlefield 3 on Tuesday, June 7th @ 1:30pm PDT)
GameTrailers.com/E3

There is no way you're getting physical media on launch date for half price.

I am ;)

How much do you value your time? For me, I use Steam because I don't have to 'digitize' shit. It's just there, and I can put it on any machine whenever I want regardless of where that machine is located. Think this isn't important? Try travelling. I can show up wherever in the world I go and download whatever game I feel like playing within minutes. No discs required. No data bloating my hard drive, stealing free space on my laptop.

All hyperbole, it doesn't take that much time....and as for using up space you can buy terabytes of internal and external HDD space for next to nothing.

As for traveling and downloading on the go, you are making awfully big assumptions about having decent and affordable bandwidth. I have been traveling through the US, Europe and Asia for the past 4 weeks and I can assure you that in many instances the bandwidth is shit or extraordinarily expensive, you wont be downloading any games in a matter of minutes save for small indie games. I would be even more surprised if you actually had time to play games whilst traveling, but admittedly that might just be me given that I prefer to spend as little time as possible sitting around in hotel rooms.

In any event this is all of off topic, I am sure there is a physical vs digital thread that someone can resurrect instead of debating in the BF3 thread.

I think his point is that you can "click a fuckin button" on amazon or whatever else and get more game for less money at the same time.

EA store is run by EA. Not many people trust EA, for various good reasons. Also, I can usually expect Steam to have new releases from any developer or publisher on their site, how well do you think EA's service is going to do with branching out? I'll stick with Steam until someone without a vested interest in the content comes along and does a better job than valve.

Well, to be entirely fair it seems like you're dismissing it out of hand. I've never really had an issue with the existing EA store but then I've only ever bought the BF2 expansions on it. But your post seems to suggest that you think EA will have no interest in branching out their Origin service like Steam did, even though Steam is run by Valve, another publisher. Who's to say they won't? Seems more sensible to me to reserve judgement until it's released rather than poo-poo things out of brand loyalty, is all I'm saying.

He didn't make any statement of the sort, he asked a question. You're kind of lowering the tone a little here, and giving the impression that you're not old/mature enough to work more than one hour unsupervised much less 18.

Last edited:
This Steam vs Origin vs whatever argument is really starting to get away from the point of this thread: Battlefield 3. How about we get excited for some E3!!! Hopefully we see something new and super awesome.

Pre-ordered BF3 from Amazon as price was good. Not bothered about Steam, don't get why so many are so attached to it. The price on Steam for new releases is way off the mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back