Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope so.

Don't get your hopes up. DICE has historically released betas/demos on Tuesdays or Thursdays. I would say best case scenario is that the 48 hour early access beta starts on Tuesday the 13th and the open beta starts on the 15th.

Superhuman, you'd be wrong.

AMD_Gamer, The beta will not be this weekend.

Last edited:
Offspring while you're here, is EA ever going to fix the problem with Origin where if you live in any one of the other 19 countries in America that aren't United States or Canada you're defaulted to Spain and have to pay in Euros? It's literally the only DD service that does this.

Yeah, it's something I'm constantly fighting about. What country do you live in? It's supposed to be that you're defaulted to the country closest to where you live if there's no store for your area.

Costa Rica.

Distance from CR to Spain: 5000 miles.
Distance from CR to Houston, Texas: 1500 miles.

Guess it's not working as intended :p

Don't know what to tell you. It worked fine for me. I have the actual client installed on my SSD but all the actual games are on my HDD

Doesnt that defeat the purpose . I guess you should have the game on SSD for faster loads.or is it the other way around??:confused:

Doesnt that defeat the purpose . I guess you should have the game on SSD for faster loads.or is it the other way around??:confused:

No, not really. If I installed all my games on my SSD I would be spending several thousand dollars on storage alone. Purpose of my SSD is to have a responsive system overall, so I have my OS on it as well as all of my day-to-day applications.

If it's a game I play often where load times matter, I'll install it on the SSD. Since most of my purchases are through Steam and you can't pick and choose where you want different games to go, I move the game to the SSD, and use a symbolic link in it's original location.

I can confirm he does work for EA on Origin.
He personally helped me with a few issues concerning Origin on the backend, only a person with access could get done.

He claims to work on the origin side of EA. I doubt he knows anything.

Why would you think someone that works on the origin side of EA would not know anything?

Games needs origin. He obviously would know when the game is planned to be released.

Yeah what's the deal with this Offspring guy, does he work on BF3 or something?

I work for EA on the Origin client as an Assistant QA Lead. I've been personally working with the BF3 team for the past few weeks on different stuff, so yes. I do know when it's going live and what the deal is with it.

If you go on the Origin forums and go back a few months you'll see quite a few posts by me, as I posted as EA_Offspring. I haven't had a chance to post back there, but that is indeed me.

I work for EA on the Origin client as an Assistant QA Lead. I've been personally working with the BF3 team for the past few weeks on different stuff, so yes. I do know when it's going live and what the deal is with it.

If you go on the Origin forums and go back a few months you'll see quite a few posts by me, as I posted as EA_Offspring. I haven't had a chance to post back there, but that is indeed me.

so you cant tell us when the beta is...but you can tell us when its not, as you have shown.

so if its not this weekend, out of the 2 remaining weekend for this month, which one is it not gonna be? :D

Maybe you can help me then haha, why in the world cant i sign into origin? I have the program and sign into it easy, i can sign into EA.com with my account, but on origin.com i cant sign in no matter what i do, i use my email i use my SN everything. Same problem when in the Origin program and click the "help ?" icon, window pops up saying failure to sign in, please sign in. And again no matter what i try to enter, it fails.

For being the biggest company i have had by far the most issues with EA's site especially in regards to signing in, and now same with Origin. They still have it marked as "Username and password" yet my username doesnt sign me in, i have to put my email in the "Username" spot. Shouldnt it just be labeled "Email and password"?

so you cant tell us when the beta is...but you can tell us when its not, as you have shown.

so if its not this weekend, out of the 2 remaining weekend for this month, which one is it not gonna be? :D

Sure. It's not going to be 10/22.

NathanP2007, can you PM me your username? E-mail address and Origin ID would be best. I'll have more questions for you as well.

Hey Offspring, is there any way you could tell me why I have yet to receive confirmation that I have a spot in the 48 hour head-start on the Beta? I purchased the MoH:LE nearly a year ago, and it's even registered on my Origin account, but I still have not received confirmation, despite the fact that I know several people have already received theirs.

I'm starting to get a bit worried that I may miss out on it, so any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

the 48-hour head start is for pre-ordering Origin, I believe. Getting access to the beta is from MoH:LE and I got an e-mail about that sometime last month, right around the time the Alpha trial ended.

I'm wondering you can comment on what the actual policy in regards to adding older EA games (such as BF2) to Origin actually is?

1) It is supported but not working correctly and will be eventually
2) It is supported but you need to go through CSR
3) It isn't supposed to be supported
4) other?

It depends on what kind of title it is. If it's a digital title, then there's a bug where end users (such as yourself) should be able to redeem the codes and get the game to show up in your My Games library but it's not going to be fixed any time soon, unfortunately. I'm affected by it too, and it doesn't make me happy.

If it's a physical copy, there's no way of turning it into a digital copy. It's something I've brought up repeatedly as bad practice, but there's nothing I can do about it, unfortunately. CSRs might be able to help in this case, but I don't believe so.

The wait for this Beta is getting pretty tedious, it was already confirmed they have the date set, theyve just not made it public yet. So we're waiting for an Annoucement of a Date, then more than likely its yet another waiting game for the Download.

If they have a date set for it, wtf is the secrecy all about? :rolleyes:

It's not about secrecy, it's about getting the game/build to a point where they can declare it a beta and let the end users (I'm including myself in that) can play the game, find the minor issues that arise and make sure that it's more smooth in the end product for the retail release than the Alpha was.

I bet the 48 hr early access beta starts Tuesday Sept. 27th and the open beta starts the 29th. Mayyyybe the 20th/22nd if we are lucky.

"Beta" my ass.

It's not about secrecy, it's about getting the game/build to a point where they can declare it a beta and let the end users (I'm including myself in that) can play the game, find the minor issues that arise and make sure that it's more smooth in the end product for the retail release than the Alpha was.

Yes, and according to zhinto on twitter sometimes last week he knew the date when it would be available. Yet here we are still waiting for a Date. :confused:

Thats assuming he wasn't trolling on twitter, something that Dice seems to like to do, "Community Manager" and all...

Will we be able to fully customize controls in the beta?

I'm stoked that afaik, there will be jets!

Not that im a total jet-whore.

It depends on what kind of title it is. If it's a digital title, then there's a bug where end users (such as yourself) should be able to redeem the codes and get the game to show up in your My Games library but it's not going to be fixed any time soon, unfortunately. I'm affected by it too, and it doesn't make me happy.

If it's a physical copy, there's no way of turning it into a digital copy. It's something I've brought up repeatedly as bad practice, but there's nothing I can do about it, unfortunately. CSRs might be able to help in this case, but I don't believe so.

Sorry I'm a bit confused by the first point. Is it a bug that you can redeem it or a bug that you can't redeem it?

I'm assuming you meant there is a bug preventing automatic redeeming.

They have been in crunch mode for awhile now. Its unfortunate they have to meet this release date rather than take their time but EA is behind them with whips.

They have been in crunch mode for awhile now. Its unfortunate they have to meet this release date rather than take their time but EA is behind them with whips.

Sometimes publishers have to do that, or games will get delayed. EA, with questionable methods, puts games on shelves.
I'm sure if more devs had whips behind them, we wouldn't see 4-6 year development cycles that doesn't live up to the hype.
Valve doesn't have whips behind them and they haven't released another HL or CS2 in years.

Sometimes publishers have to do that, or games will get delayed. EA, with questionable methods, puts games on shelves.
I'm sure if more devs had whips behind them, we wouldn't see 4-6 year development cycles that doesn't live up to the hype.
Valve doesn't have whips behind them and they haven't released another HL or CS2 in years.

Because they aren't run by stockholders thank god ;)

And they have released lots of other things and have been focusing on Steam and whatnot for while now as well. I would kill a room full of kittens to see a HL3 or a new CS run on a new engine, but I got plenty of other games to play to keep me busy :p. Besides, I think after DOTA2 is released, they might have something up their sleaves planned :)

@Offspring: any news about Origin/EA actually selling other companies games through Origin? I would consider your Origin a true competitor to Steam if you did this, then it's just a matter of building a community around it. I am a big Steam fanboy, but I believe in real competition. If all we get is EA games, most of us will probably only use it for whatever game like BF3/ME3 that we want, but not for anything else. But if you become a true storefront like Steam, then you could actually compete with Steam.

Because they aren't run by stockholders thank god ;)

And they have released lots of other things and have been focusing on Steam and whatnot for while now as well. I would kill a room full of kittens to see a HL3 or a new CS run on a new engine, but I got plenty of other games to play to keep me busy :p. Besides, I think after DOTA2 is released, they might have something up their sleaves planned :)

@Offspring: any news about Origin/EA actually selling other companies games through Origin? I would consider your Origin a true competitor to Steam if you did this, then it's just a matter of building a community around it. I am a big Steam fanboy, but I believe in real competition. If all we get is EA games, most of us will probably only use it for whatever game like BF3/ME3 that we want, but not for anything else. But if you become a true storefront like Steam, then you could actually compete with Steam.

Well since your a big fan of Steam, you position is understandable. Thankfully, Valve delivers on the hype, it just takes them forever to do it. I really don't count their co-developed console first games on the same level as HL or CS2.
EA upper brass did mention selling other publishers games:

Here's the article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-30-ea-our-games-wont-be-origin-exclusive

"Competition and choice go hand in hand. So the fact we will only distribute our own games on our own platform, I don't see that."

Indeed, EA plans to make rival publishers' games available to buy on Origin. "We are discussing with other publishers to distribute their games," Uwe Intat said. "[Other publishers' games] May very well be [sold on Origin]. "But the key is really to develop and impressive consumer experience where people are happy to play and buy games."

Right now Steam and Origin is enough for me. I don't want anything else right now.
I'm not a fan of other pubs so if Activision decided to release a PC client, I wouldn't use it. I'm a big fan of EA from my console years and Valve of my PC years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back