Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been following the dev team on twitter and they've actually responded by saying the game informer neither confirms nor denies the commander role in bf3. I seriously hope it does make a return though.

Here's an easy way to follow them without using twitter:
http://bf3.immersedcode.org/
 
People don't know how to fucking read.

They never said there's no commander. They said they would like to find a way for it to work better than it did in BF2. It might be in the game, it might not. We'll find out in due time.
 
I really hope they don't leave the commander feature out. That would be a big let down imo.
 
If they do retain the commander they'd better stick to tightening it up. I couldn't stand being bombarded with text/verbal cues from some spud spotting everyone a scan showed up. Not only annoying, but kind of took a lot of the fun out of a lot of kills knowing the guy was there. Or having to hit page up/down as squad leader half the time due to an over-eager commander instructing your squad to womble around the map.
 
I've been following the dev team on twitter and they've actually responded by saying the game informer neither confirms nor denies the commander role in bf3. I seriously hope it does make a return though.

Here's an easy way to follow them without using twitter:
http://bf3.immersedcode.org/


i'm sure it will be there. they had it BF2142 as well theres no reason they would take it out of BF3 now. was one of the things i always liked about BF2 and BF2142. was something unique that no other game used.
 
Judging by the game informer interview IMO the commander position is gone, they basically say they don't want only 2 people(1 on each team) in an entire match to be able to do what a commander does(in BF2) while no one else has access to it. It sounds like the actions performed by the commander will still be there but separated and accessible by all at different points through the match, like the UAV station in BC2 and artillery stations in BC1. Perhaps we will have supply vehicles and maybe command stations you can hop on and give an attack/defend order to the entire team rather than just your squad, then hop out and join the battle.
 
Ok, I tried reinstalling and going back to BF2 over BC2....

Egad, I had forgotten how "foggy" everything looked!
 
^ saw your title, unaware of an organization named 'NAMBLA', googled it here at work, awaiting my IT guy to come into my office with questions.

note to self - pay for GenMay subscription and see what you monkeys are up to in there.
 
^ saw your title, unaware of an organization named 'NAMBLA', googled it here at work, awaiting my IT guy to come into my office with questions.

note to self - pay for GenMay subscription and see what you monkeys are up to in there.

At least you didn't Google GNAA.
 
^ saw your title, unaware of an organization named 'NAMBLA', googled it here at work, awaiting my IT guy to come into my office with questions.

note to self - pay for GenMay subscription and see what you monkeys are up to in there.

lol
 
Positional voice communication would be pretty sweet. Something similar to 'Mumble' in-game.
 
Ok, I tried reinstalling and going back to BF2 over BC2....

Egad, I had forgotten how "foggy" everything looked!

I tried the same last week. Re-installed BF2 & SF only to almost vomit when I finally launched.

It's funny how when you look back in nostalgia things always seem better than what they actually were :p.

Roll on BF3.
 
I liked playing commander in BF2. It was a good way to take a break from the action and eat while playing while still rackin' up points. :( :mad:
 
Have you had a sniper run up and drop a claymore at your feet yet? Or have you been on a no vehicle/no friendly fire nade spamfest server? I've actually enjoyed myself quite a bit lately on that game, but I swear some of those issues would have been easy to fix.
 
El Alamein!!! I loooved the Desert Combat version of that map. So awesome in the Apache or MLRS.

Wow...Desert Combat Nostalgia. The days of aiming the MLRS cross hair at a specific point on a static cloud to be sure it hits the target you wanted. I loved that mod!
 
my bf3 wish list:
-dont make it so easy for armored vehicles to dominate infantry
-fix the hit detection
-un-noob the noob tube (minimum arming distance)
-no more magical claymores
-have plenty of good city maps
-reserve IO option for maps specially designed for IO (this is what killed BF2 for me, everyone stopped playing on good city map servers and just wanted to do mindless nade spam on IO servers)
 
Wow...Desert Combat Nostalgia. The days of aiming the MLRS cross hair at a specific point on a static cloud to be sure it hits the target you wanted. I loved that mod!

lolz! Nothing better than getting that sweet cloud spot and spamming the airfield! So many kills when you can get a recon to spot the airfield to time to salvos just right! :D
 
They dont now, if they do for you, then you need another team.
im talking more of bf2 which is the true predecessor for bf3
and depending on the map armored vehicles can easily dominate... a tank whore with half a brain can easily rack up kills on a city map, then the MEC copter on Sharqi Peninsula and jets on all maps were pretty much god mode.
 
Someone in a tank SHOULD be more of a threat than other infantry, and they should be able to rack up kills if the extra effort isn't put in to kill them. I'm no tank whore and I much prefer playing as infantry, but whenever I get into a tank, I can feel almost all attention being turned to me. I rarely last long.

I'm sure what really annoys most people is when their infantry are struggling to deal with the other teams infantry, and they also have a tank to deal with. In situations like that, tanks can really dominate. Just remember that giving a tank on your side some good support can easily make the other team just as miserable.
 
I tried the same last week. Re-installed BF2 & SF only to almost vomit when I finally launched.

It's funny how when you look back in nostalgia things always seem better than what they actually were :p.

Roll on BF3.

Only to those that think pretty graphics are more important than gameplay.
 
Only to those that think pretty graphics are more important than gameplay.

It's not just graphics. It's also the advancements made to their engine as time passes. The frostbite engine compared to the few few BF games version is night and day better. I loved Bf2/2142 but come on...running feels like running in quick sand and it's overall feel is clunky as hell. Let's not even talk about the ballistics and the overall feel of all the weapons. They have made steady progress with each title as the years have passed and I for one welcome BF3's graphics and engine capabilities. No intention of looking back. No matter what my fond thoughts of the earlier games were. I'm ready for advancement.
 
It's not just graphics. It's also the advancements made to their engine as time passes. The frostbite engine compared to the few few BF games version is night and day better. I loved Bf2/2142 but come on...running feels like running in quick sand and it's overall feel is clunky as hell. Let's not even talk about the ballistics and the overall feel of all the weapons. They have made steady progress with each title as the years have passed and I for one welcome BF3's graphics and engine capabilities. No intention of looking back. No matter what my fond thoughts of the earlier games were. I'm ready for advancement.

I agree with most of what you said, but I much prefer the feel of the weapons in BF2 over BC2. BF2 was one of the last games to handle recoil (and all of the other related aspects of shooting) the way that I liked. I find BC2 guns to be far too accurate when spray or bursting too quickly. It takes a lot of the reward away from being accurate with your initial mouse movement, which is much more challenging to get right than the secondary adjustments you make. That's just my preference.
 
This is going to be a great year for gaming. A lot of great games being released and BF3 is the one i'm most looking forward to, also the one I'm most concerned about because there are so many different directions they can go with it.

For example, destructible environments. I know a lot of people like them, I personally think it's over-rated and a bad idea for a game that has tanks and air crafts that drop bombs and shoot missiles. If it's in there, I hope its on a limited scale. Either way, looking forward to the release.
 
I agree with most of what you said, but I much prefer the feel of the weapons in BF2 over BC2. BF2 was one of the last games to handle recoil (and all of the other related aspects of shooting) the way that I liked. I find BC2 guns to be far too accurate when spray or bursting too quickly. It takes a lot of the reward away from being accurate with your initial mouse movement, which is much more challenging to get right than the secondary adjustments you make. That's just my preference.

I used to feel the same way honestly. I mean as in the crowd that says it's not l33t and your not skilled if you can't/don't kick ass with guns that have recoil like CS. I used to think that when I shot an M4 or an ak47 it should(even in small controlled bursts) be up in the sky. Then I started to realize that real guns don't react that way at all. if they did our SF and soldiers wouldn't be able to hit shit. Instead I don't have a problem with guns reacting close to how their real life counterparts do. It's no more or less l33t to kill someone with a gun that reacts properly or one that intentionally makes it fucktarded to soot at anything without having your ssights in the sky. I actually like the way the guns react in BC2/vietnam. I'm also someone that like (gasp) MOH and how the guns handle there. I know I'm gonna get shit for liking MOH on this forum as usual but whatever heh.
 
I used to feel the same way honestly. I mean as in the crowd that says it's not l33t and your not skilled if you can't/don't kick ass with guns that have recoil like CS. I used to think that when I shot an M4 or an ak47 it should(even in small controlled bursts) be up in the sky. Then I started to realize that real guns don't react that way at all. if they did our SF and soldiers wouldn't be able to hit shit. Instead I don't have a problem with guns reacting close to how their real life counterparts do. It's no more or less l33t to kill someone with a gun that reacts properly or one that intentionally makes it fucktarded to soot at anything without having your ssights in the sky. I actually like the way the guns react in BC2/vietnam. I'm also someone that like (gasp) MOH and how the guns handle there. I know I'm gonna get shit for liking MOH on this forum as usual but whatever heh.

Yes because it's so realistic for SMG's to snipe people across the map. As long as they're bursting of course..... Sorry but BC2 is nowhere near how real guns fire. If you hold down an automatic weapon, you are going to shoot all over the place. If you burst fire quickly, you will still lose some accuracy. If you take your time and line up each burst shot it should be very accurate. But the bullet should only go a certain range, based on the power of the round.

In BC2, as long as you just burst, your first shot will always be dead on. Even if the recoil shows your sights have moved off the target. Spray at point blank seems to just always miss. If you are standing in front of me, and I hold down the fire on an HMG, you are going to be in little bits. Yet BC2 seems to have such a large penalty for full auto, regardless of range, that 99% of those shots will miss. Also, bullets travel as far as the map goes, and have very little drop. When SMG's shoot as far/accurate as sniper rifles, something is obviously broken. I hope you don't really think BC2 accurately resembles how real guns fire.......
 
Yes because it's so realistic for SMG's to snipe people across the map. As long as they're bursting of course..... Sorry but BC2 is nowhere near how real guns fire. If you hold down an automatic weapon, you are going to shoot all over the place. If you burst fire quickly, you will still lose some accuracy. If you take your time and line up each burst shot it should be very accurate. But the bullet should only go a certain range, based on the power of the round.

In BC2, as long as you just burst, your first shot will always be dead on. Even if the recoil shows your sights have moved off the target. Spray at point blank seems to just always miss. If you are standing in front of me, and I hold down the fire on an HMG, you are going to be in little bits. Yet BC2 seems to have such a large penalty for full auto, regardless of range, that 99% of those shots will miss. Also, bullets travel as far as the map goes, and have very little drop. When SMG's shoot as far/accurate as sniper rifles, something is obviously broken. I hope you don't really think BC2 accurately resembles how real guns fire.......

I never said BC2 represents how real guns fire exactly. What I do know is that a game like CS is NOT at all how real guns react. I'm sure we will get someone in this thread soon enough to correct me. Dan or someone into to guns big time will chime in. Bc2 might not be accurate either but I find it tolerable. I'm not a fan of the SMG shooting across the map in any game to be honest.
 
Someone in a tank SHOULD be more of a threat than other infantry, and they should be able to rack up kills if the extra effort isn't put in to kill them. I'm no tank whore and I much prefer playing as infantry, but whenever I get into a tank, I can feel almost all attention being turned to me. I rarely last long.

I'm sure what really annoys most people is when their infantry are struggling to deal with the other teams infantry, and they also have a tank to deal with. In situations like that, tanks can really dominate. Just remember that giving a tank on your side some good support can easily make the other team just as miserable.

This talk of tanks made me recall as I played as assault class creeping up with C4 (was it assault?) in BF2. When I sneaked up to a tank to plant my C4 and those noobs who were in 3rd person view would see me quickly jumped out giving me the tank and then me shooting them while they tried to bunny hop their way to the nearest corner.

aah, so many priceless moments BF2 brings.
 
I never said BC2 represents how real guns fire exactly. What I do know is that a game like CS is NOT at all how real guns react. I'm sure we will get someone in this thread soon enough to correct me. Dan or someone into to guns big time will chime in. Bc2 might not be accurate either but I find it tolerable. I'm not a fan of the SMG shooting across the map in any game to be honest.

Ya, that's why I don't base my preference on reality anymore. I'm not into real guns and I've never fired anything on full auto. From the youtube vids and discussions on the subject I believe there are some newer guns that really can be sprayed while maintaining reasonable accuracy...obviously not a very far distances but at medium range. Your standard ak/m4 still looks pretty damn tough to keep accurate at medium range though.

Also, some people prefer to think of their character as controlling the recoil. I saw that argument a lot when people were defending MoH when it had NO recoil in beta. I understand that perspective but I don't like it.

I like to think of CS is on the other side of the spectrum. It is as if you're character leaves the handling of recoil entirely up to you. I'm sure if you lightly held an ak while spraying, it sure as hell would go straight up. Therefore, both games do have some basis in reality (once SOME recoil was added in MoH, or at least I'm told it was). All I'm trying to say with this is that there's many ways to look at it, and really no definitive answer so I don't try and approach it that way anymore.

When considering how gameplay should feel, I tend to think that a good initial aim should be rewarded more so than it has been lately. When someone has to wait half a second or more to burst accurately again because they missed, it gives the enemy a chance to take cover or return fire, punishing you for missing that first burst. When you can burst accurately again after 0.2 seconds, it encourages shooting first and adjusting your aim second, which I'm not a fan of.

It's all preference though. I liked the way BF2 did it for a battlefield game. I love CS style but I think it's too hardcore for a BF game. BC2 is too forgiving for me. Hopefully they'll crank up the risk/reward of getting an accurate first burst in BF3. I think they might since it's going to be less of a console game.
 
For example, destructible environments. I know a lot of people like them, I personally think it's over-rated and a bad idea for a game that has tanks and air crafts that drop bombs and shoot missiles. If it's in there, I hope its on a limited scale. Either way, looking forward to the release.

it's not for everyone, but i assume you've played BC2? when the game was announced i thought the destructible environment would be 'gimmicky', but when i played the beta i quickly became a fan. it's very fun to blow the wall out of a building and surprise an unsuspecting enemy :D. i'm looking forward to this feature in BF3.
 
it's not for everyone, but i assume you've played BC2? when the game was announced i thought the destructible environment would be 'gimmicky', but when i played the beta i quickly became a fan. it's very fun to blow the wall out of a building and surprise an unsuspecting enemy :D. i'm looking forward to this feature in BF3.

Yes, I've played and own BC2, but the amount of vehicles and firepower in BC2 is a fraction of what will be available in BF3. Kind of pointless IMO to have destructible environments that will be flattened in a matter of minutes and you'll have a situation where people will just be waiting around for vehicles. This was bad enough in BF2 but it would be that much worse if there is no cover left in BF3

No to mention, even in BC2 I thought the destructible environments were way over hyped and over rated.
 
It's not just graphics. It's also the advancements made to their engine as time passes. The frostbite engine compared to the few few BF games version is night and day better. I loved Bf2/2142 but come on...running feels like running in quick sand and it's overall feel is clunky as hell. Let's not even talk about the ballistics and the overall feel of all the weapons. They have made steady progress with each title as the years have passed and I for one welcome BF3's graphics and engine capabilities. No intention of looking back. No matter what my fond thoughts of the earlier games were. I'm ready for advancement.

Advancement is nice, but not at the expense of gameplay. You took my quote out of context.

Gameplay for BC2 is no where near BF2. It is nerfed for consoles.
 
AFAIK, the next big date for news is February 23rd. The German magazine Gamestar(.de) has a cover stoy to be released that day, also some Xbox web site that I can't find the reference to right now.

Anyway, GameStar.de posted a short preview blurb with high-res cover art here:

In German - Google Translated to English

Direct cover art link

==================================================

GameInformer has another article up today: Sustaining A Legacy: The Battlefield Strategy

==================================================
 
thanks for the links GullyFoyle. i watched the "History of Battlefield" video on Gameinformer's site (it's friday, i'm allowed to waste some time at work :p), very interesting. that's the first time i've heard of DICE's first game "Codename Eagle". it's also nice to hear that they design their games from a collective of ideas.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top