Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

Except that the physics are different in BF3 than BF2. In BF2, the jets actually turned tighter with afterburners on. In BF3, the jets turn tighter at a slower speeds, but like real jets eventually the lack of speed affects the turning rate (how fast the nose changes directions) even though they are turning tighter. Its not perfect, but it is slightly more realistic. However, there are a dozen other things that are wrong with the flight models that one game got right and the other did not.

In the loading screen of BF3 it says they turn quicker with afterburner. I have not tested this myself. I don't find them fly to get inside, as their flight models are more of float models and turning around every 3 seconds is not my idea of fun. :p

Though yes, you can "stall" in BF3. Though essentially your aircraft turns into a brick with almost zero input from your control no matter what position it is in. Pushing the throttle all the way forward will eventually allow you to regain control.

Really? Steam has (always) been super stable for me and Origin has been an absolute nightmare. I've only played once for 2 rounds since I installed Win8 and I had to say that it has not crashed yet. I'll let you guys know as I play more. If I play more...

I played a few more rounds tonight and so far, I have to say that Origin and BF3 have been very stable. Is it Win8 (doubtful)? Is it just that I did a fresh format/install? Not sure why, but Origin/BF3 were the only programs that gave me any problems.
So far so good....Hope it stays this way !!!

In the loading screen of BF3 it says they turn quicker with afterburner.
You might want to read that screen again. I have read what you are talking about, but there is more written there than that. There is turning quicker, then there is turning tighter. At slow speeds, the jets turn slightly tighter (smaller turn radius), but do so really slowly. At high speeds the jets turn quicker (rate at which nose changes direction), but do so with a larger turn radius. In my experience, the afterburner actually makes the turning rate slower AND increases turning radius in BF3.

The sweet spot is exactly 315 knots on the jet's HUD, but you can get away with anywhere from 300-315 if you can't mash the W and S keys quick enough to keep it at that rate. Keep in mind though, the real pros are keeping it within a couple knots of 315 at all times during their times. If you want to see a real pro jet pilot who doesn't cheat, check out a guy called "SturdyWings". He has a youtube channel under username L3XIS250:
http://www.youtube.com/user/L3XIS250

There is an odd performance envelopes for these jets. They handle best at 300-315 knots. I would never advised dropping below that speed while trying to aquire your target. Only go below 300 if you are attacking a chopper, a ground target, or if you are already behind a jet target going slower. I have tried using that slow speed as a method to cause an overshoot by my opponent, but it rarely works because if they do overshoot they can get out of range before you can get your nose on them or they will simply do another turn at 315 knots and be behind you again before you have regained your speed so you can turn on them.

You might want to read that screen again. I have read what you are talking about, but there is more written there than that. There is turning quicker, then there is turning tighter. At slow speeds, the jets turn slightly tighter (smaller turn radius), but do so really slowly. At high speeds the jets turn quicker (rate at which nose changes direction), but do so with a larger turn radius. In my experience, the afterburner actually makes the turning rate slower AND increases turning radius in BF3.

The sweet spot is exactly 315 knots on the jet's HUD, but you can get away with anywhere from 300-315 if you can't mash the W and S keys quick enough to keep it at that rate. Keep in mind though, the real pros are keeping it within a couple knots of 315 at all times during their times. If you want to see a real pro jet pilot who doesn't cheat, check out a guy called "SturdyWings". He has a youtube channel under username L3XIS250:
http://www.youtube.com/user/L3XIS250

There is an odd performance envelopes for these jets. They handle best at 300-315 knots. I would never advised dropping below that speed while trying to aquire your target. Only go below 300 if you are attacking a chopper, a ground target, or if you are already behind a jet target going slower. I have tried using that slow speed as a method to cause an overshoot by my opponent, but it rarely works because if they do overshoot they can get out of range before you can get your nose on them or they will simply do another turn at 315 knots and be behind you again before you have regained your speed so you can turn on them.

This....these are the basics, get them down and you will automatically reach the ranks of badass pilot, lol.

There's a few manuevers that should be learned and getting accurate with the gun are a couple good skills, but speed control is pretty much the name of the game with the jets.

You might want to read that screen again.

Pretty sure that is what it says. I'm not talking about how they actually perform, but referring to what the text says (or so I think). I personally found that they turn tighter and slower speeds until you get into the "stall" speed. I just remember reading the text and thinking what the hell DICE were thinking when they wrote that, especially if it was true in game. :p

As for the jets in game, I am done with them. I've got plenty of good kills and typically did better than most in the servers I played in but they are simply too boring for me to continue playing. My eyes rolled at them in BF2, and did again when I saw the first trailer for BF3.

I prefer the land vehicles, infantry and whirly birds in this game.

Here's some more Jet Tips courtesy of DiegoRod:

#1: Breaking Loop and Turn Cycles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JKRsPrWvb8
#2: Defensive Maneuvers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xGodG0A7o
#3: Losing a tail by Scissor Rolling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VWzojq6fhQ
#4: Head-on Defense and Below Radar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Wh-afRqgE&feature=plcp
#5: Third Person Speed Control **very important must see**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvKLG9DB5IM

Also, one of my favorite maneuvers to get behind someone is called the high yo-yo. It works really well when I get in a turning match with someone who can control their speed, but isn't experienced enough to break the turn cycles:

f0549-01.gif

The F-35 is fucking awful, btw.

It handles exactly like the SU-35 as long as you keep it at 315 knots, which is where you should be flying at anyways. ;)

It's got a few couple downfalls though, nothing serious though that can't be overcome:

1. The HUD sometimes goes to an ultra low res that looks like it was pulled straight from BF2 when switching from outside to cockpit view. This is a bug that DICE claimed they fix a while back, but still isn't fixed. Conversely, the F18 and SU35 do the same thing, only in reverse...they zoom out on the HUD and the lettering gets smaller.

2. I've noticed the speed drops a lot more quickly to nearly standstill a lot quicker than the SU35 and F18. You have to be even more vigilant about your speed when dogfighting in it. You drop too low in a dogfight you are fucked. Keep it at 300-315 like you should be doing anyways and it handles exactly the same as the other jets. Also, it is dog slow to re-accelerate unless you kick in the afterburners.

3. If you are doing strafing runs you again have to be very careful on your speed. If you get too slow it switches to hover mode, which will cause the nose to jerk sharply upward, taking your crosshairs off target.

4. Staying in hover mode is difficult. The simplest solution is to just keep the throttle in full reverse AND have afterburners on all the time. If you get in a jam, simply go full forward throttle and leave afterburners on, pull up and you will get out of there quickly. Too much control input while in hover mode in any direction will cause it to lose altitude quickly, even moreso if you don't have afterburners on. You can't treat it like a maneuverable attack chopper. In hover mode, it feels like you are a circus performer balancing on top of a ball. Little inputs go a long way. If you have a mouse with on the fly sensitivity adjustment, turn it way down while in hover mode.

Some things affect more people and are more tragic. I do hope you're just playing dumb here.

No - I'm being realistic. No where ever did I say I would think less of someone for stopping to remember something or someone. I don't know if you understood my point that if perfect history was kept and we stopped to observe every tragic thing that has happened over the past 1000 years our flags would permanently be at half staff, everyone would go around each day thinking and remembering of nothing but sad terrible things.

That is not a way to live. Trust me if someone gave me some time travel power I'd love to be the guy to go back in time and prevent it from happening. The level of people affected, and the level of tragedy is not a function of my argument either. I would never hold the expectation that if something bad happened to me or my family the rest of the country should slow down or stop what they are doing on behalf of me or my family's tragic event.

Maybe it's just me, but when I'm dead, I wouldn't want my family sitting around forever constantly crying and being down. I'd want them to go out, live, be happy, enjoy what they have, smile, and laugh.

Back on topic -- when is armoed kill content being pushed down?

It handles exactly like the SU-35 as long as you keep it at 315 knots, which is where you should be flying at anyways. ;)

It's got a few couple downfalls though, nothing serious though that can't be overcome:

1. The HUD sometimes goes to an ultra low res that looks like it was pulled straight from BF2 when switching from outside to cockpit view. This is a bug that DICE claimed they fix a while back, but still isn't fixed. Conversely, the F18 and SU35 do the same thing, only in reverse...they zoom out on the HUD and the lettering gets smaller.

2. I've noticed the speed drops a lot more quickly to nearly standstill a lot quicker than the SU35 and F18. You have to be even more vigilant about your speed when dogfighting in it. You drop too low in a dogfight you are fucked. Keep it at 300-315 like you should be doing anyways and it handles exactly the same as the other jets. Also, it is dog slow to re-accelerate unless you kick in the afterburners.

3. If you are doing strafing runs you again have to be very careful on your speed. If you get too slow it switches to hover mode, which will cause the nose to jerk sharply upward, taking your crosshairs off target.

4. Staying in hover mode is difficult. The simplest solution is to just keep the throttle in full reverse AND have afterburners on all the time. If you get in a jam, simply go full forward throttle and leave afterburners on, pull up and you will get out of there quickly. Too much control input while in hover mode in any direction will cause it to lose altitude quickly, even moreso if you don't have afterburners on. You can't treat it like a maneuverable attack chopper. In hover mode, it feels like you are a circus performer balancing on top of a ball. Little inputs go a long way. If you have a mouse with on the fly sensitivity adjustment, turn it way down while in hover mode.

I'd like to consider I have a little knowledge on jets in BF3. I have 80hrs between the F/A-18 and the SU-35.

The F-35 is just something I'm experiencing recently this past week. I'm telling you it's not as good. The cockpit blows and limits visibility, the aiming always seems off, and the fact that you can't slow down without the risk of going to hover is a huge downside in almost any situation.

I had my first experience with Battlelog the other day when a mate brought his laptop around with BF3 on it. The amount of time it takes to get into matches is ridiculous and I cannot see how anyone could argue that it takes less time than booting up the game and then entering matches from the in-game server browser.

I had my first experience with Battlelog the other day when a mate brought his laptop around with BF3 on it. The amount of time it takes to get into matches is ridiculous and I cannot see how anyone could argue that it takes less time than booting up the game and then entering matches from the in-game server browser.

Are we still talking about this?

I'd like to consider I have a little knowledge on jets in BF3. I have 80hrs between the F/A-18 and the SU-35.

The F-35 is just something I'm experiencing recently this past week. I'm telling you it's not as good. The cockpit blows and limits visibility, the aiming always seems off, and the fact that you can't slow down without the risk of going to hover is a huge downside in almost any situation.

I agree, the cannon doesnt fire where the cross hair points and if dice would fix the hat switch function so it would work while your inputting other commands and didn't need an activation key to use it, it'd be great. Modern jets and their all glass canopies are useless when.all you get to see is 60-90 degrees out the front face of it. I should be able to patrol the skies at Max altitude and look over the side of my wing to find my next target.

Sorry. I have the HUD and cockpit issues you mentioned, usually switching between 3rd person and cockpit via the "C" key fixes it. The only time I am in cockpit view is when I am dogfighting. The throttle thing I have mentioned, but I feel its not as big a deal since you shouldn't be going below 315 anyways unless you intend to hover. Its an interesting tradeoff in order to have the hover capabilities, which are real handy when strafing troops on the ground (especially Wake Island where you can hide from enemy jets).

I'm not quite sure about the aiming issue you mention. My rockets always are on target. The cannon does seem to never go where you want it, but I found that has more to do with the illusion created by the poorly designed HUD. Once I ignore the floating crosshair and stick with my gut and the fixed crosshair, everything goes where I intend it too.

Last edited:
Hiding? Brother I torn up some jets last night on wake island. I was flying the SU-35. They accused me of hacking.
LOL... I know...I tear me up some F-35 amateurs on that map too.:cool:

I meant when they can get some cover due to the steep hill sides. I have seen a couple good pilots use those steep hillsides and bridges to avoid RPG's, especially that shadowy area with trees past the end of the runway near that flag with the construction site.

You sound like someone I want as my wingman in-game. :cool:

Takes about 30 seconds to join a game on my machine (2500K based). Not sure I'd classify that as "ridiculous" by any means. Not to mention the real bonus is that I can surf around Battlelog and check my stats and assignments while the game is loading. Sure beats twiddling my thumbs while I stare at a loading screen.

Takes about 30 seconds to join a game on my machine (2500K based). Not sure I'd classify that as "ridiculous" by any means. Not to mention the real bonus is that I can surf around Battlelog and check my stats and assignments while the game is loading. Sure beats twiddling my thumbs while I stare at a loading screen.

^^True Story^^

Although my game is bugged in CQC where if I don't click the game in the task bar, it takes like five minutes to jump me into the game. If I click the game when battle log says its loading, then it jumps right in just fine. Minor annoyance in my book, YMMV though.

You must not undervalue thumb twiddling time, my friend.

:)

Yea same here. Usually if I just start loading the game, and then just click on the icon on the taskbar I get it way quicker than Battlelog alerts me that I can. But all these retarded claims that it takes forever to load a game are just eyedee-ten-tee issues. You can check your load-outs and stuff but I notice that the game loads way too quickly to really get a good look at anything more than a glance at an assignment or two.

After hittin' "join server" I get just enough time to fire up my bong :D

Agreed. That was also the reason why I loved CS's freelook mode after you die. It's a win-win. Don't die and keep playing, or die and take a bong hit. There is probably a correlation somewhere and I was going to find it... but then I got *****. =)

^^True Story^^

Although my game is bugged in CQC where if I don't click the game in the task bar, it takes like five minutes to jump me into the game. If I click the game when battle log says its loading, then it jumps right in just fine. Minor annoyance in my book, YMMV though.

I've had that issue with CQ as well. Doesn't happen all of the time though.

^^True Story^^

I've had that issue with CQ as well. Doesn't happen all of the time though.

happens to me on the Grand Bazaar map.

I love how when ECM is ready, it doesn't always go off. Can't count how many times I've been shot down or disabled because of that.

Why are there so many issues with this game.

Also wanted to note. I don't know why some of you guys are complaining it's difficult to get locks on jets. I get locked onto constantly.

My favorite is the almost instant lock on which gives me no time to react. Wonder how they're pulling that off.

Other thing. In my opinion they need to seriously nerf the range on locks.

Also wanted to note. I don't know why some of you guys are complaining it's difficult to get locks on jets. I get locked onto constantly.

Doesn't make a difference if Stinger/Igla missles explode before hitting the target as they do very frequently.

My favorite is the almost instant lock on which gives me no time to react. Wonder how they're pulling that off.

SOFLAM.

Doesn't make a difference if Stinger/Igla missles explode before hitting the target as they do very frequently.

Not in my experience. I've out maneuvered missiles before. But that shit is not easy.

No, it's coming from engineers and mobile AA. Sometimes Heli's and other jets. I know they can have beam scanning though. Does mobile AA get that? I've never seen one with it.

No - I'm being realistic. No where ever did I say I would think less of someone for stopping to remember something or someone. I don't know if you understood my point that if perfect history was kept and we stopped to observe every tragic thing that has happened over the past 1000 years our flags would permanently be at half staff, everyone would go around each day thinking and remembering of nothing but sad terrible things.

That is not a way to live. Trust me if someone gave me some time travel power I'd love to be the guy to go back in time and prevent it from happening. The level of people affected, and the level of tragedy is not a function of my argument either. I would never hold the expectation that if something bad happened to me or my family the rest of the country should slow down or stop what they are doing on behalf of me or my family's tragic event.

Maybe it's just me, but when I'm dead, I wouldn't want my family sitting around forever constantly crying and being down. I'd want them to go out, live, be happy, enjoy what they have, smile, and laugh.

I agree with this entire post.

Back on topic -- when is armoed kill content being pushed down?

I'd like to know :)!

nice! Funny enough I'll be moving on the 4th (sucks) but once I get moved in, I'll have access to 12Mbit internet (vs the 3Mbit I have now)

Can't wait!

Not in my experience. I've out maneuvered missiles before. But that shit is not easy.

For quite some time it was a common occurrence, I'm terrible in the jet and I had no trouble doing it. If you read the patch notes, you'll see they mention something about fixing a problem with missiles exploding on but not damaging targets that were moving too fast. It wasn't about maneuvering(unless you got lucky enough to have the missile hit something else), it was about speed for the most part.

For quite some time it was a common occurrence, I'm terrible in the jet and I had no trouble doing it. If you read the patch notes, you'll see they mention something about fixing a problem with missiles exploding on but not damaging targets that were moving too fast. It wasn't about maneuvering(unless you got lucky enough to have the missile hit something else), it was about speed for the most part.

I have a lot of trouble with this now. It's getting locked onto too quickly and ECM not going off, or in time.

It's like,

Very rapid... tone tone tone - lock, pop ECM, fire missiles, still comes at me.

Should the ECM not break the lock immediately?

I have a lot of trouble with this now. It's getting locked onto too quickly and ECM not going off, or in time.

It's like,

Very rapid... tone tone tone - lock, pop ECM, fire missiles, still comes at me.

Should the ECM not break the lock immediately?

As far as I know ECM will only deter an incoming missile if it's very close to you when you pop it, the description says it includes chaff and I've seen it work that way before(causes early detonation). I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure that ECM was for breaking locks and not deterring missiles en-route.

Edit; It sounds like you're saying you're popping ECM when the lock occurs but before the missile launches though, in which case I have no idea, could be a bug. It's not like any of this stuff has all worked the way it's supposed to at any time during this game's life.

As far as I know ECM will only deter an incoming missile if it's very close to you when you pop it, the description says it includes chaff and I've seen it work that way before(causes early detonation). I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure that ECM was for breaking locks and not deterring missiles en-route.

Edit; It sounds like you're saying you're popping ECM when the lock occurs but before the missile launches though, in which case I have no idea, could be a bug. It's not like any of this stuff has all worked the way it's supposed to at any time during this game's life.

I try to attribute it to lag, but honestly it must be bugged or have issues. Because even when it says "READY" (not flashing after it's been used) it doesn't always go off. Seems like an issue to me.

Just frustrating is all.

And I still hate how easy it is for people to lock onto me and how large the range is for doing so.

I REALLY wish they would give us a map with no air at all. Just ground. Sometimes I get so tired of air, and all the dopes who try to fly but cant. Or sit and wait for a jet/chopper. Just one land only map is all I am asking for. :/

Back