Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

Cool. Never once in that quote did he say that BF was the first game to have such mechanics. You seem to be looking for something to whine about.

Stop whining about someone calling the devs out for continual bullshit. Hell, I guess I'll whine too and say that he should have mentioned that there is no teamwork in BF3 so the quoted individual was lying in that regard as well.

Stop whining about someone calling the devs out for continual bullshit. Hell, I guess I'll whine too and say that he should have mentioned that there is no teamwork in BF3 so the quoted individual was lying in that regard as well.

Do you even play this game?

Seriously. Every post in this thread is whining about some feature or detail that you just can't get over, while the rest of us have few issues and are having an absolute blast. It isn't BF2, it's BF3. I can live without the commo rose and shitty built in VOIP. Get some friends in a squad --> problem solved.

I don't have any friends that play PC games online anymore. Functional in game voip would make the game so much more fun for people who only pub.

That being said, game is still a blast!

yes, since it seems like they purposely made it as difficult as possible to have any kind of teamwork in this game. Thus the reason why 99.99% of the population play rambo by themselves.

ok, let them not get points.

If you do a good job supporting your team, you WILL top the scoreboard. Not only are you healing / giving ammo to other people, but you're getting the benefit too if it's at your feet in a firefight.

Like just throw it to your feet whenever you can and you'll get thousands of "free" points.

Well thats a perfect reason to eliminate it. Great logic.

My point being that in BF2 no one gave a shit about each other. Having a commander or 6 man squads helped, but not enough to matter. I don't think either should be gone but that's not why people don't work together, it's because they are all dicks.

yes, since it seems like they purposely made it as difficult as possible to have any kind of teamwork in this game. Thus the reason why 99.99% of the population play rambo by themselves.
The last week I have seen nothing but teamwork, particularly on the B2K maps. If people's squad's weren't doing anything together, I at least see swarms of people attempt to take a flag all at the same time. I see it happen on Gulf of Oman and Sharqi Peninsula maps the most. If people aren't doing things with their squad, they are at least moving in groups helping eachother out. I think that is because most people get in a squad and don't want to get stuck doing what the other's are doing. Sometimes a squad is split between jets, choppers or 1 or 2 guys off on their own thing. Just start following other squads and/or groups of soldiers as they head into a flag or switch squads. The small squad size does hinder the chances of having a majority of the squad working together, but there is nothing stopping you from working with others.;)

On Sharqi there are 2 flags within range of the construction site flag. I always see people camping and providing covering fire as several other team mates cap the other flags in the area.

On Gulf of Oman there will be entire squads of nothing but recon, engi's, and support camping the roof of the hotel on the edge of the map. The recon's will snipe and SOFLAM, the engi's will javelin everything in site, and the support will provide everyone ammo and guard the ladder. 3 nights in a row this week I have been raped by squads doing that. I was pissed off by getting killed by them, but at the same time was really happy to see such good teamwork.

On Wake Island the transport chopper is critical to taking over the island. It's the only thing quick enough to flank and drop off people quickly on a relatively linear map. The good pilots will fly low and fast along the tree lines and avoid the airfield where the AA camps. They can continue to dash back and forth between all the other points providing air cover and a mobile spawn point.

I would say so,there were quite a few features that made teamplay enjoyable in BF2. Squad and Commander waypoints were awesome. Does anyone remember this?

I remember this. I also remember all the complaints about BF2's lack of team play compared to 1942. Public servers were just like they are now in BF3 - a free-for-all. Put all the tools in you want, people will still play the way they want and that's usually Rambo style.

I remember this. I also remember all the complaints about BF2's lack of team play compared to 1942. Public servers were just like they are now in BF3 - a free-for-all. Put all the tools in you want, people will still play the way they want and that's usually Rambo style.

I kind of like the fact they make it tough to work together.
Meeting guys, and working together should take some effort.
You can't run around pub's by yourself all day, complaining about teamwork.
I know because that was me over a month ago.
People that take the time to reach out and make friends, will be rewarded.

My point being that in BF2 no one gave a shit about each other. Having a commander or 6 man squads helped, but not enough to matter. I don't think either should be gone but that's not why people don't work together, it's because they are all dicks.

What does some people being dicks have to do with removing the tools which allow others to more effectively work as a team? Taking away those tools only serves to exacerbate the situation and turn off people from the game who consider those tools important.

You obviously have a different recollection than I, because I remember lots of people making extensive use of commander and squad leader commands for better team work. Yes games would occasionally devolve into free for all, but at least having the tools provided the opportunity for deeper teamwork for those who wanted to take advantage of them.

Compare that to the current experience with BF 3. As it stands its virtually impossible to communicate with squad mates who are not existing friends and who have joined the game simultaneously with you.

I kind of like the fact they make it tough to work together

By that logic you must obviously like digging trenches with a teaspoon rather than a shovel, because you know.....its tougher.

I read and comprehended your post perfectly fine. You obviously didn't read the forum FAQ/Rules otherwise you wouldn't be resorting to personal attacks.

What does some people being dicks have to do with removing the tools which allow others to more effectively work as a team? Taking away those tools only serves to exacerbate the situation and turn off people from the game who consider those tools important.

By that logic you must obviously like digging trenches with a teaspoon rather than a shovel, because you know.....its tougher.

Well I am that guy who turns the tank around when I noticed you are pinned in your base.
I do want this game to be a challenge. In game VOIP will put us in a similar position.
People want to play alone alot of times. Adding the feature will do little to engage a person to communicate if they don't want to.

Installing voice chat soft is a breeze, entering in the IP and introducing yourself to a servers regulars, also easy.
If you cant be bothered to do that until they patch in some kind of VOIP, then you never wanted to communicate in the first place.

What do you guys use for flying jets? I'm having great difficulty with my mouse and keyboard. Any recommendations for key bindings, or do I really need a gamepad or joystick?

Well I am that guy who turns the tank around when I noticed you are pinned in your base.
I do want this game to be a challenge. In game VOIP will put us in a similar position.
People want to play alone alot of times. Adding the feature will do little to engage a person to communicate if they don't want to.

Installing voice chat soft is a breeze, entering in the IP and introducing yourself to a servers regulars, also easy.
If you cant be bothered to do that until they patch in some kind of VOIP, then you never wanted to communicate in the first place.

Even if people never wanted to use voip, there were still other means to communicate like the useful communication rose in BF2 and context commands in BC 2, both of which are completely broken in BF 3. Saying that simply because people do not go out of their way to use external VOIP services is an over generalization and, if anything, a straw man argument.

Even if people never wanted to use voip, there were still other means to communicate like the useful communication rose in BF2 and context commands in BC 2, both of which are completely broken in BF 3. Saying that simply because people do not go out of their way to use external VOIP services is an over generalization and, if anything, a straw man argument.

Basically the point I was trying to make.
No one uses those context commands, even if they worked.
Played over 300 bc2 hours without even giving them a thought.
Out of your way? Exactly, you might have to go out of your way to communicate.
I can install, configure, and connect in under five minutes.
/sigh

Last edited:
No one uses those context commands because they are broken. Go figure.

Uh there's a difference between making it as easy as possible to communicate as opposed to expecting people to stuff around with third party software. Simply because someone cannot be bothered with the latter is not indicative of anything.

No one uses those context commands because they are broken. Go figure.

Uh there's a difference between making it as easy as possible to communicate as opposed to expecting people to stuff around with third party software. Simply because someone cannot be bothered with the latter is not indicative of anything.

Sure it's indicative of them being lazy.
Like the guy above said people in general are dicks.
They don't want to get in chat with you and say whats up, chat between rounds, and work together.
They just want to fucking be able to scream why the fuck didn't you revive me you piece of shit.
Selfish kdr players can eat a dick, get on voice chat you lazy fucks and put in some work.

They don't want to get in chat with you and say whats up, chat between rounds, and work together.
They just want to fucking be able to scream why the fuck didn't you revive me you piece of shit.
Selfish kdr players can eat a dick, get on voice chat you lazy fucks and put in some work.

There's no point continuing this circuitous debate with you because you keep repeating the same excuse to absolve DICE of their incompetence.

One would think that the fact that such tools/systems worked and were available in previous BF games would be enough to make people think twice before defending EA/DICE.

It would be one thing if people were asking for the impossible or the untried, but they aren't. DICE even tried to implement these things in one form or another but completely fucked it up in the process, like several other issues with BF 3.

And saying that in your experience you never used those tools is hardly a satisfactory answer as to why they don't currently work or were inexplicably omitted.

There's no point continuing this circuitous debate with you because you keep repeating the same excuse to absolve DICE of their incompetence.

One would think that the fact that such tools/systems worked and were available in previous BF games would be enough to make people think twice before defending EA/DICE.

It would be one thing if people were asking for the impossible or the untried, but they aren't. DICE even tried to implement these things in one form or another but completely fucked it up in the process, like several other issues with BF 3.

And saying that in your experience you never used those tools is hardly a satisfactory answer as to why they don't currently work or were inexplicably omitted.

Q works just fine 90% of the time, so I dont see your point there, look at an engi while damaged and you yell HEY I NEED A REPAIR and you flash on the minimap

when you are support anyone who needs ammo has an icon on them......and q yells hey get yoru ammo

commo rose was always kinda junky

and I agree that BF2 pubs were horrid when teh game launched, everyone remembers BF2 as it was after 1.5 and the only people playing it were true blood BF players working together....

Q works just fine 90% of the time, so I dont see your point there, look at an engi while damaged and you yell HEY I NEED A REPAIR and you flash on the minimap

when you are support anyone who needs ammo has an icon on them......and q yells hey get yoru ammo

Maybe there is something wrong with my install then because nothing ever flashes on the minimap for me, either when I am requesting assistance or other team mates are making the requests, which is how it worked for me in BC 2

As it stands, for me there is absolutely no feedback when using context sensitive commands except the audio cue which is pretty meaningless in terms of working out who is making the request (assuming you even hear it over all the other very loud environmental audio).

what servers are you guys playing on lately that have teamsync voip? I been playing on tacticalgamer. silentsnake09 if anyone wants to add me up.

Hard coding Q into the game as "commarose" is pretty stupid imo. I use Q as reload, and this thing pops up every time I reload.

Plus, there's always the mute function. If people don't want to communicate, they don't have to. It's about allowing those that do the ease of doing so without alt-tabbing out. We're usually talking about SQUAD VOIP, not team VOIP. Do you realize how often your squad members change to make getting them in a separate channel on a third party program extremely challenging? If it's built in, it's always an option.

So yeah I still can't play because it gets stuck at "initializing" and then my bf3.exe crashes..

Cool. Never once in that quote did he say that BF was the first game to have such mechanics. You seem to be looking for something to whine about.

Funny thing is, as soon as I posted I knew someone would chime in with something like this. Good for you. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my point was that it seemed like they were trying to make it sound like this epic unique experience when in reality it's not really that epic or unique. I loved the Battlefield series and own every single one (except 2142, oddly enough, I read bad reviews and got turned off to it, plus the demo wasn't that impressive IMO), but beyond BF2 (and in some ways even including it) it's gone downhill fast and is on a collision course to becoming CoD-style gameplay. The old Battlefield we knew and loved is gone.

If it was there I would use it. I'm not saying I don't want bf3 voip.
But I'm not a fucking cry baby that needs it, or I go post about it on forums.
I use the next best option, and wait.

How easy is it to get on a voice chat server with random people in some random pub unless they specifically list a TS3/whatever server for that pub?

It's not "being lazy", it's just an annoying amount of work when there really shouldn't be any.

they really need to change the name of this thread to "battlefield 3 whining and bitching thread"

I am not saying I agree or disagree witch anyone but damn it's always page after page of bs.

they really need to change the name of this thread to "battlefield 3 whining and bitching thread"

I am not saying I agree or disagree witch anyone but damn it's always page after page of bs.

Happens with any game that has a lot of problems.

How easy is it to get on a voice chat server with random people in some random pub unless they specifically list a TS3/whatever server for that pub?

It's not "being lazy", it's just an annoying amount of work when there really shouldn't be any.

It is being lazy.
I agree you shouldn't have to do it.

But every clan server has a web page.
Finding there voice chat server's IP is not hard at all.

We can put hundreds of hours of play time in.
But it's a annoying amount of work to install TS3 and enter IP.
Where is that damn pic of Captain Picard when you need it.

Back