Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

More info:

No Fate said:
Q: Will it be possible to fix the commrose so that it behaves in the same way as BF2/2142? I.e. clicking a command will bring up a text message on the HUD that can be seen by team mates?
A: Our custom commo-rose system sends a localized text messages (based on game language) to all players in the team and has an anti-flood system to prevent spamming.

Q: Can the weapon/perk loadout UI be replaced with a more streamlined menu?
A: Right now you cannot perform any direct changes to the UI files.

Q: Can vehicle/infantry health regen can be turned off?
A: Yes.

Q: Can infantry/vehicle perks be adjusted or turned off?
A: Yes.

Seems a bit late and limited.
Very limited tweaks that will most likely make the game worse.
Most of those tweaks were already done through hacks or color injectors.

The core game is still locked down.

Dont overlook the biggest win in this, which is the multiplayer function being able to live on after official servers go away. And believe it or not plenty of people still get together for LAN games, which this will be great for.

Glass half full is the way to look at it. And its mere existence sends a message to EA/DICE.. However small or easily overlooked that message may be to them, it exists.

Last edited:

limited ammo for jets helos tanks with depots is a huge win IMO.

if they could remove the aim variation from suppression and leave the rest I would call it perfect :p

LAN-ability would be HUGE as well

More info from NoFate as to possibilities with his mod:

God damn, I am more excited by this mod than BF4!

i would agree if that gamestop press stuff hadnt leaked mentioning commander mode being back

i would agree if that gamestop press stuff hadnt leaked mentioning commander mode being back

I wouldn't get my hopes up, realistically do you really believe DICE is going to implement a commander role which even half emulates what was in BF2/2142 given their priority to create consistent experiences across all platforms and their non-commital to a incorporating a proper VOIP system? I just don't see that happening, especially given the limitations inherent with a gamepad controller scheme.

they have had no problems giving PC larger maps than console and higher player limits.

not like commander had advanced controls either.

click way point here, drop ammo crate on annoying sniper there.

click uav

click arty.

I've been playing TDM on a server that only allows XBOW, Bolt action sniper rifles and Knife.

It's very fun and good aiming / knifing practice - I'm usually 50% knife kills.

I've been playing TDM on a server that only allows XBOW, Bolt action sniper rifles and Knife.

It's very fun and good aiming / knifing practice - I'm usually 50% knife kills.

i played on that server (or a similar one) last week and it was a ton of fun. unfortunately there was no automated enforcement of the rules, and no admin present, so it didn't take long for people to start using regular weapons. sort of a shame because the XBOW adds a lot of fun to the typical 'bolts only' servers.

Rattle, i believe this is the server i was on: http://battlelog.battlefield.com:80/bf3/servers/show/8b295b95-ee9f-48f8-8c83-844c12f118f5/W-SNIPER-BOLT-ONLY-SniperRifle-Xbow-Knife/
i'm not 100% sure though, so don't take my report above about the rules not being enforced as gospel.

Funny, Cryptic/PWE servers for NW, STO and CO being constantly down, Steam being down longer then usual yesterday with continued problems into today and EA's BF3 under attack for several days. Either everyone is having bad luck or there is a massive multi prong attack going on that no one is talking about.

I have BF3 premium unopened and collecting dust as we speak since Jan. 2013.

Can't finish my computer build and have no clue when it might be done. BF4 will release soon as well.

I have more or less lost interest in BF3 and NEVER EVEN PLAYED ONE GAME YET.

This fucking DDOS bullshit is annoying the hell out of me. I haven't been able to play since last week. I keep getting disconnected 20 minutes into a game, IF I can actually join one.

I'm reinstalling the premium editon it's taking forever on my 156k connection =) The install was 11 gigs but the base game is 20 gigs total.!! The DLC is all downloadable no on the disk so that alone is additional 3-5 gigs per game.

I uninstalled it the first time around because of all the space it took up on the drive and was playing planetside 2 instead.

i played on that server (or a similar one) last week and it was a ton of fun. unfortunately there was no automated enforcement of the rules, and no admin present, so it didn't take long for people to start using regular weapons. sort of a shame because the XBOW adds a lot of fun to the typical 'bolts only' servers.

Rattle, i believe this is the server i was on: http://battlelog.battlefield.com:80/bf3/servers/show/8b295b95-ee9f-48f8-8c83-844c12f118f5/W-SNIPER-BOLT-ONLY-SniperRifle-Xbow-Knife/
i'm not 100% sure though, so don't take my report above about the rules not being enforced as gospel.

played there a bunch tonight, pretty fun :D

I'm reinstalling the premium editon it's taking forever on my 156k connection =) The install was 11 gigs but the base game is 20 gigs total.!! The DLC is all downloadable no on the disk so that alone is additional 3-5 gigs per game.

I uninstalled it the first time around because of all the space it took up on the drive and was playing planetside 2 instead.

Hate to be the one to sound like a dick -- but playing on such a crappy connection, and housing the game on a stupidly small HDD/SSD isn't BF3's fault at all.

20GB in this day and age isn't that much really anymore... some parts of the country/world will just have to play catch up.

If your hdd is that small - is it a fair assumption that your CPU and video card might be sub-par as well? Topping it off, if you are in a game and pinging at 150-200ms, you are going to have a sucky time, even with the very generous lag compensation they have built in.

The only option I have is Comcast which is 49.00 a month for 6 mega bytes a second. Which isn't bad but it's still 50.00!!
Did I blame this problem on Battlefield 3? You sure you went to college?

Last edited:
Hate to be the one to sound like a dick -- but playing on such a crappy connection, and housing the game on a stupidly small HDD/SSD isn't BF3's fault at all.

20GB in this day and age isn't that much really anymore... some parts of the country/world will just have to play catch up.

If your hdd is that small - is it a fair assumption that your CPU and video card might be sub-par as well? Topping it off, if you are in a game and pinging at 150-200ms, you are going to have a sucky time, even with the very generous lag compensation they have built in.

I pay about $100.00 in US money a month for a mere 2mb dsl connection.

I get about 265 KB/sec download speed.

20GB would take a long time:(

So, there is no 4 days of double XP due to the DDOS attacks on Dice's BF3 servers? Not seeing anything on Battlelog that double XP is active.

Also, don't any of you guys back up your DLC content? I know I do.

I went to my DSL providers website to see if I can upgrade I can get 1.4 meg connection but that is about it...will it be faster though I'll call them in the morning....

That's pretty badass Crotan.

FWIW I'll be moving back to a regular work schedule so we should do some 5v5 scrims at some point.

The only servers I've been able to join lately are unranked servers with aim botters :( Even I know that a sniper running around with a bolt action getting 150+ kills can't be normal.

And is there a hack that turns off the blur filter? One trick I use a lot when dealing with snipers is to use the suppression perk and an LSAT and saturate their hiding spot, then pause to re-center my crosshair and do accurate fire while their aim is blurred, usually very effective, but today, I've had quite a few snipers seem unfazed even when I'm using suppression perk :( Squad cover perk does not let you recover that fast.

Are unranked servers immune from the EA disconnects? My usual servers disappeared.

I was only able to connect to metro servers earlier. I kept getting the 'ea disconnected online' message, when trying to play rush.

I have been able to play until today. Last night I quit bc of serious lag and today I get the disconnected from ea online. Are DDOS attacks lasting for a week or more common? You would think a company the size of EA could fight it back quicker. I know it is a pita to do so but still.

I have been able to play until today. Last night I quit bc of serious lag and today I get the disconnected from ea online. Are DDOS attacks lasting for a week or more common? You would think a company the size of EA could fight it back quicker. I know it is a pita to do so but still.

Well it wasn't exactly the same thing but remember how long sony was down?

Oh well, not like I have anything going on anyway. My team seems intent on joining everything and just randomly scrimming reddit or each other. I haven't played an actual match in forever.

So, there is no 4 days of double XP due to the DDOS attacks on Dice's BF3 servers? Not seeing anything on Battlelog that double XP is active.

Also, don't any of you guys back up your DLC content? I know I do.

It has been reschedule for a later date to be announce

Oh well, not like I have anything going on anyway. My team seems intent on joining everything and just randomly scrimming reddit or each other. I haven't played an actual match in forever.

Yea what's that about. You guys are on just about every TWL ladder out there, but haven't played a single match.

Kick them into action. The TWL 5v5 CTF ladder needs some excitement! hint hint you guys are there but haven't challenged anyone!

Last edited:
Anyone else having connection issues..I haven't played for over a month now and just tried to join a couple of servers yesterday...Always disconnected from EA the first time...then have to hit close and reenter the queue on the same saerver and it joins. :confused:

Anyone else having connection issues..I haven't played for over a month now and just tried to join a couple of servers yesterday...Always disconnected from EA the first time...then have to hit close and reenter the queue on the same server and it joins. :confused:

There has been a ddos attack on ea servers for over a week now.

Back