Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

once again, stay off the multiplay servers and look for GamingServers.com servers. they're the official ones. also, (it was elsewhere in this forum) for those of you who CTD every 15 min or so, try this out of game. start button: type firewall> go to windows firewall> inbound rules> bf3> in the advance tab, enable/allow edge traversal (option 2 in dropdown menu).

iono what that is or does but it was explained in a post elsewhere on here and it eliminates the crashing. apparently this was a firewall bug/issue that was the same deal in another game.

Cheers mate the firewall trick seems to have cured my crashing ;)

Played all evening and not one crash, yesterday I couldn't complete a game. Crashed about 10 times!

Cheers mate the firewall trick seems to have cured my crashing ;)

Played all evening and not one crash, yesterday I couldn't complete a game. Crashed about 10 times!

you're welcome. now if only all the other CTDers will just read and try this (which takes all of 1 minute to do) before crappin up a storm of "omfg broken totally unplayable game!!111!" on these bf3 threads.

Even if BF3 is on Steam you won't be able to enter a retail key in. Pretty much only Steamworks games (and maybe some select others?) can enter a retail CDkey.

So anyone with a retail copy on pre-order (myself included) shouldn't get their hopes up.

ah i forgot about steamworks thing. well, i really hope retail will end up scraping the need for the SPYWARE LIKE* origin client. if it actually lands on steam, theres hope that bf3(retail box) will only require battlelog (which i can settle with as opposed to battlelog client, browser, origin client, the voip program service, binary).

*Under the title of “Consent to Collection and Use of Data”, the clause states that by installing Origin you are giving EA permission to “collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer, operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware.”

Last edited:
They clearly see the beta for what it is: a beta. Not some marketing gimmick/people let down by the 'hype.'

An open-beta is a marketing tool, used to also stress servers and client experience with said servers. It's been this way for ages.

CLOSED-BETA'S (ie.invite only) are built around testing specific features/areas within certain limits.

An open-beta is a marketing tool, used to also stress servers and client experience with said servers. It's been this way for ages.

CLOSED-BETA'S (ie.invite only) are built around testing specific features/areas within certain limits.

Nope.

This was going to be my question as well. So it's on Steam--does that mean you click to start the game and battlelog fires up? Or does Origin have to turn on?

same question. I'm afraid Origin will turn on but thats ok for me, I already refused to add any of my friends on it or add any other games and added friends on battlefacelogbook only (and didn't pre-order it)

btw you can use steam overlay with BF3 beta, just add bf3.exe in origin games folder to steam then exit battlelog and origin and start from steam

Nice rebuttal, thanks for coming out.

Wiki:
"Open betas serve the dual purpose of demonstrating a product to potential consumers, and testing among an extremely wide user base likely to bring to light obscure errors that a much smaller testing team may not find."

It's not stupid shit, it shows the state of the game, and people are defending falsehoods. EA's decision to release too early is going to show, will BF3 suffer? Nah, it's too big for it to fail... yet.

It's not stupid shit, it shows the state of the game, and people are defending falsehoods. EA's decision to release too early is going to show, will BF3 suffer? Nah, it's too big for it to fail... yet.

People are attacking a BETA, which Dice has already stated is a month old build from when it was released. These same people have been bashing anything and everything they disagree with in this BETA. I have played quite a bit of the BETA and find it a great game.

Edit: WTF do you mean "defending falsehoods"? it is people like yourself who are complaining about parts of the game because they cant get it though there heads that the game is a BETA and not the final build.

i agree its a great game. at first the issues bugged me...made me hop on the fence about cancelling my pre-order... instead of being rash, i waited a bit and watched for news... up until now, a lot of the bigger gripes (squads and stuff) has been addressed to some degree so really, while im pretty sure most the bugs from the beta will poof, the only big deal is the steam vs origin+browser client+voip client+browser to play. aside from this though, the core game is still tons of fun

People are attacking a BETA, which Dice has already stated is a month old build from when it was released. These same people have been bashing anything and everything they disagree with in this BETA. I have played quite a bit of the BETA and find it a great game.

Edit: WTF do you mean "defending falsehoods"? it is people like yourself who are complaining about parts of the game because they cant get it though there heads that the game is a BETA and not the final build.

OPEN-beta. Get it right.

This isn't a beta any longer.

I enjoyed the gameplay, I didn't enjoy the usability aspect.

Since people are incapable of reading back:

"Open betas serve the dual purpose of demonstrating a product to potential consumers, and testing among an extremely wide user base likely to bring to light obscure errors that a much smaller testing team may not find."

The beta part refers to general usability, server stability, and testing of the deployment servers.

The beta part refers to general usability, server stability, and testing of the deployment servers.

So it is still a beta, contrary to what you said that it no longer is one. As long as they're doing testing, collecting usage data, accepting bug reports to make changes to the final build it is still beta.

So it is still a beta, contrary to what you said that it no longer is one. As long as they're doing testing, collecting usage data, accepting bug reports to make changes to the final build it is still beta.

All I'm trying to get through peoples heads is that in the development cycle of things an open-beta(there's a difference between this and just "beta") is meant to test different things than just the "beta". The product you are seeing and playing is already gone gold, boxed and ready for shipment.

Will it be patched? Of course it will.

looks like someone may be confused with the shutting down of caspian as the end of beta. caspian was only to test one thing while the rest of playable bf3 is still in beta, testing other things

Looks like someone missed the memo that release is only 21 days away. Also, this has nothing to do with caspian.

I was explaining it, I've explained it a number of time between the two threads. People refuse to read back a couple pages before knee-jerk responding.

All I'm trying to get through peoples heads is that in the development cycle of things an open-beta(there's a difference between this and just "beta") is meant to test different things than just the "beta". The product you are seeing and playing is already gone gold, boxed and ready for shipment.

Will it be patched? Of course it will.

the beta build being played is months old

Please stop using Wikipedia for the basis of your argument.

Please stop using Wikipedia for the basis of your argument.

Why, the articles are quite straightforward and a basic understanding of the dev. cycle.

It's also not the only thing I've used, but w/e. Internet arguing and such, you'll continue to defend something blindly so take care.

Jesus.. Honestly who cares if its a beta,demo,walrushavingsexwithadolphin.. It honestly doesnt matter..

Its not retail yet so why complain.. when retail hits then feel free..

lets get this thread back on track..

Who is up for a few games? On vent now..

Why, the articles are quite straightforward and a basic understanding of the dev. cycle.

It's also not the only thing I've used, but w/e. Internet arguing and such, you'll continue to defend something blindly so take care.

I think the dump I took yesterday is capable of a higher level of understanding then you. I have played the BETA a good deal and it is really fun. I also have been keeping an eye out for any news on changes from the BETA. You sit here and talk about the game as if it has been released, try to redefine the term BETA by using wikipedia, then say I am blindly defending BF3 when all I have done is point out where you have been wrong.

I think the dump I took yesterday is capable of a higher level of understanding then you.

Banstick incoming in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

I think there are some glaring issues which are hopefully resolved by the release date, but likely not all of them;

Hit registration is a big mess right now, people dying instantaneously, being shot behind objects, etc.

The squad issue is still lingering as well, even thought they "confirmed" some flexibility we still don't know what the final squad management will look like so it could still wind up being a big steaming pile of poo.

Battlelog is starting to grow on me, but they need to fix some things still. I've had to disable my Avast shields in order to use the party join feature properly and 'quick match' usually connects me to servers with high pings and such. Besides that, it seems to work pretty well.

Models and textures look a bit silly at times. Super-skinny arms, odd animations, weird floating gun attachments and tearing. Some of these things might be fixed, but I doubt they're going to change the models and animation.

I had high hopes for this game, but I've lowered my expectations since playing the beta. I'm still keeping my preorder, but only because I got 25% off. There is no way I would pay $60 for this game based on what I've seen the past week.

For PC, just buy it on origin. You get the pre-order exclusives and you will be able to preload it.

iono about other places but amazon has its own preorder exclusive (custom dogtags or something)...not that great but i had amazon credit so i used it towards the preorder there. and i wanted physical copy. other places might have other pre-order incentives.

On the main forum page it says

General Gamin (880 viewing)

Cant help but think thats mostly because of this thread.

Dunno if this was posted but guess they are gonna have actual in game squad management

http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=165491&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Quoting this for integrity.

The simple fact that they are going to do this, will renew my hope and faith.

Renting a 16 man SQDM server, cause I prefer that playstyle, its much more team and much more run and gun fun. Because frankly without squad management, SQUAD DM is pretty well done for as a mode.

Quoting this for integrity.

The simple fact that they are going to do this, will renew my hope and faith.

Renting a 16 man SQDM server, cause I prefer that playstyle, its much more team and much more run and gun fun. Because frankly without squad management, SQUAD DM is pretty well done for as a mode.

DICE always does stuff like this. The screw up and then fix it. Rinse and repeat.

At least they listen right?

Back