Battlefield 2042

The worst part of modern matchmaking is dissolving the lobby after every individual match. This has two issues: having to wait in a queue to find another lobby and not being able to make any friends. It was already hard enough to make friends anymore when matchmaking supplanted servers, but now it's impossible.

It might be okay for CoD or Counter Strike, with small 6v6 matches. But doing that for games with 16v16 or 32v32 is just dumb. Takes too long to get all 60 something players ready to go. Should just reuse the current players.

"Entire reimagine" and a possible new engine - oh spiffy...

Doubling down on the heroes, free to play monetization (even if full priced), seasons passes, special powers and battle royale modes. Probably less "tanks" because they are "unfair".

I want a full on "battle" in BF6 or whatever they will call the next game.

Gigantic HUGE open area maps, dozens of tanks on either side, helicopters, troop transports, etc... Have it be 128 vs 128 players.

Don't turn this into the Call of Poopie garbage.

2042 is actually in a pretty good state these days. Player count is way up (based on Steam alone) since season 6. I have zero problems findings games in the PNW of any type (Conquest 64/128, Rush or TDM). The Season 6 map (Redacted) is a bit of a meat grinder, kind of reminds me of Metro, but is fun to mix it up from vehicle based CQ. It also runs really well. Been a nice break from Apex.

My ancient 6700k with a worse GPU and less RAM runs it just fine, it has to be something wrong with your install or settings somewhere.
It ran fine when i first bought it. Then I didnt play it for 5 or so months then it started crashing mid game. Another 3-4 months when by I tried again and it wouldnt even start up. I did change fan software
to msi afterburner but that turned out to be not the issue. I did redownload it to my main hardrive but that didnt seem to help. I have no idea. I play the other BF titles and cod no problem at all.
Its just 2042.

It ran fine when i first bought it. Then I didnt play it for 5 or so months then it started crashing mid game. Another 3-4 months when by I tried again and it wouldnt even start up. I did change fan software
to msi afterburner but that turned out to be not the issue. I did redownload it to my main hardrive but that didnt seem to help. I have no idea. I play the other BF titles and cod no problem at all.
Its just 2042.
Easy Anti-Cheat was replaced with EA Anti-Cheat with Season 6. Initially after the update, Battlefield 2042 wouldn't launch until I cleared the cache in the EA app. I also I had to lower the RAM speed from the previously working XMP profile to stop the game from freezing the PC. I also noticed increased CPU power and heat likely because of the new anti-cheat. RTSS overlays also stopped working.

This thread got me curious so I fired up 2142 on an older rig running a R7 2700 (non X) and Vega 56 GPU with a 1080P ultrawide display. It was pretty choppy for about the first minute but ran surprisingly well after that. Better than MW3 runs, on that machine anyway. Gonna need to retrain my combat style if I’m gonna get back into BF. Hopefully when the next BF releases it actually plays like a classic BF. Buggy AF but fun!

Been playing 2042 an awful lot more again lately, went ahead and got my premium pass for season 7, already level 70 for it right now. So no complaints, been only level for a week for it, just getting all the challenges going. Need to start the new week challenges so I don't miss the bonus challenge at the end.

Between 2042 and dare I say Battlebit, I've been quite happy with war shooters again.

this has to be the highest cpu usage game ever created? did i buy the wrong cpu with not enough cores?:)

128 player maps are for sure CPU intensive, but that's expected! It's nice to see the hardware put to use, and this game is an excellent stress test for overclockers. Both loading screens and actual gameplay (unless you are GPU limited because RTX or something) are intense in different ways.

128 player maps are for sure CPU intensive, but that's expected! It's nice to see the hardware put to use, and this game is an excellent stress test for overclockers. Both loading screens and actual gameplay (unless you are GPU limited because RTX or something) are intense in different ways.
So first my pc:

13900K stock
2x16 GB DDR5 GSKILL 6800
Rtx 4090 Gigabyte Gaming
Aorus Elite Z790 AX
SSD KINGSTON 2TB
Seasonic 1300W PX ATX 3.0 PCIE 5.
win 11

I was playing BF 2042 without single crash for about month. Today after new update and new nvidia drivers, i launched game and when joining to match , in moment when mission CALEIDOSCOPE was loading it crashed to dekstop,just once. No errors in event logs. Just exit. Happened once. Is my cpu fine?

Perhaps you were never fully stable and a tiny change made it tip over. 6800mhz is high, I don't know if every single 13900k out there can handle it, I would guess not. At least that's where I would personally start looking: the RAM (since you said stock for the CPU I'm sure it's fine)

Perhaps you were never fully stable and a tiny change made it tip over. 6800mhz is high, I don't know if every single 13900k out there can handle it, I would guess not. At least that's where I would personally start looking: the RAM (since you said stock for the CPU I'm sure it's fine)
Ok but i dont have any other issues in games and other programs like prime95 or cinebench etc,beside that one crash to desktop during loading map no error. Happened once out of the blue. It was month ago. All other games and apps are stable rock,never had single crash. Ram programs no errors.

But ok you think i am not stable? Ok so what now? Rma? I am worried

Last edited:
The first step is to find a way to reproduce the crash. If you cannot, then you are probably stable or on the very edge, only you can say if that's good enough. Chasing perfect stability is easier said than done.

Maybe the crash was not even CPU/RAM related, I have no idea. All I can say is BF2042 pushes the CPU and RAM intensively, as DICE games traditionally do.

Reactions: hu76
like this
The first step is to find a way to reproduce the crash. If you cannot, then you are probably stable or on the very edge, only you can say if that's good enough. Chasing perfect stability is easier said than done.

Maybe the crash was not even CPU/RAM related, I have no idea. All I can say is BF2042 pushes the CPU and RAM intensively, as DICE games traditionally do.
Ah oki thank you so much for explanation.

Last edited:
New drivers out. Worth to try: 551.23

Game Ready for GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER

This new Game Ready Driver provides the best gaming experience for the latest new games supporting DLSS 3 technology including Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth. Further support for new titles leveraging NVIDIA DLSS technology includes the launch of Enshrouded, TEKKEN 8, and Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League which support DLSS Super Resolution.

Gaming Technology

• Adds support for GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER
  • Adds support for RTX Video HDR
  • Adds support for “Auto” setting for RTX Video Super Resolution
  • Adds support for NVIDIA Ultra Low Latency Mode with DirectX 12 titles

Fixed Gaming Bugs

• Forza Horizon 4: Ansel/ Freestyle filters cause application to freeze or crash [4253513]

Fixed General Bugs

• RTX 4060 Ti: Display may randomly flicker with a black bar on the top of the screen when using desktop apps [4239893]
  • Horizontal band may appear when cloning a G-SYNC display to HDMI monitor [4103923/4343427]

EDIT: I installed no issues in games.

and you know what's crazy i haven't found a single article with review of 5800x3d and this game comparing a full list of cpus and all max settings. to me this game in 128 player mode is the end all be all cpu mark with 60 or more bots running around

like this
and you know what's crazy i haven't found a single article with review of 5800x3d and this game comparing a full list of cpus and all max settings. to me this game in 128 player mode is the end all be all cpu mark with 60 or more bots running around
like counter strike 2 heh

Yes, it's definitely CPU-intensive. I tried it on an i7-4770+RX 5600 XT at 1680x1050. I thought at first I was golden, because the training round with a few bots was pretty playable, but multiplayer turned out to be almost unplayable--I would guess less than 20fps average. Then I tried it on a 5900X+RX 5500 XT 8GB at 3840x1440, and it has been perfectly playable on low. Once in a while the frame rates dive below 30fps for a couple seconds, but that's maybe once every 5-10 minutes.

like this
Yes, it's definitely CPU-intensive. I tried it on on i7-4770+RX 5600 XT at 1680x1050. I thought at first I was golden, because the training round with a few bots was pretty playable, but multiplayer turned out to be almost unplayable--I would guess less than 20fps average. Then I tried it on a 5900X+RX 5500 XT 8GB at 3840x1440, and it has been perfectly playable on low. Once in a while the frame rates dive below 30fps for a couple seconds, but that's maybe once every 5-10 minutes.
c'mon with 4770?!

How is ultrawide on BF these days? Trying to decide what monitor to go with here once I finalize GPU decision in the next week and debating on going with a 21:9 or possibly a 32:9 rather than dual monitors.

I'm really enjoying it on a 34" 3440x1440 screen. It's the first gaming I've done on ultrawide, and the default FOV feels just as good to me as the default FOV did at 16:10 on older BF games... It seems well suited to the big open maps in 2042, especially if you're sniping and have a good overlook.

How is ultrawide on BF these days? Trying to decide what monitor to go with here once I finalize GPU decision in the next week and debating on going with a 21:9 or possibly a 32:9 rather than dual monitors.
very tempted for a 21.9 with somewhat hdr performance and adaptive sync...let me know if you pick one out

anyone else here get the freez/reboot ONLY after quitting 2042..im thinking memory timings need to be adjusted possibly but its the only crash/freeze this pc gets......i can play the game all night and min back and forth to desktop...but when i do a normal exit game its bzzzz from the speakers then reboots. i have 2 different memory kits in use i can take out the older 16gb set if need be? i highly doute it be the new card, cpu or m2 drive also changed out recently.

2 different memory kits? I'm 99% sure your instability comes from that then, unless running JEDEC clocks but surely you are not doing that :p

2 different memory kits? I'm 99% sure your instability comes from that then, unless running JEDEC clocks but surely you are not doing that :p
one would think manually setting to speed and timing to match the slowest set should work....kinda dumb since i dont need 48gb anyway but thought i nice

very tempted for a 21.9 with somewhat hdr performance and adaptive sync...let me know if you pick one out

Ended up going 34" Asus XG349C which is a 180hz IPS 3440x1440 and the game looks good. I think 32:9 would have been way too big of a jump, but who knows down the road how I will feel. This monitor already feels huge but then I am coming from a 24" and jumping to a 34" which is essentially 2x27. I still need to dial it in since it just came in today.

I wish the game was better though. Playing it now I have no regrets about not buying it. No server browser, portal doesn't seem to give the options you had with custom servers in bf4 still, and missing modes like domination. Tried to join the Rush XL last night and after a minute of sitting I gave up. This has always been my issue with matchmaking. There generally is no indicator of how long you might wait, no way to queue multiple modes or only select maps.

Oh and I also forgot how big of a pain EA can be with double monitors. I had to disconnect everything since EA would only launch on my number 1 monitor even though it wasn't my main. Nothing I did would keep BF2042 on my new monitor until I disconnected everything and reconnected it first. Windows 11 also doesn't let you reassign the numbers. I know I did that before in Windows 7 or 10.

Ended up going 34" Asus XG349C which is a 180hz IPS 3440x1440 and the game looks good. I think 32:9 would have been way too big of a jump, but who knows down the road how I will feel. This monitor already feels huge but then I am coming from a 24" and jumping to a 34" which is essentially 2x27. I still need to dial it in since it just came in today.

I wish the game was better though. Playing it now I have no regrets about not buying it. No server browser, portal doesn't seem to give the options you had with custom servers in bf4 still, and missing modes like domination. Tried to join the Rush XL last night and after a minute of sitting I gave up. This has always been my issue with matchmaking. There generally is no indicator of how long you might wait, no way to queue multiple modes or only select maps.

Oh and I also forgot how big of a pain EA can be with double monitors. I had to disconnect everything since EA would only launch on my number 1 monitor even though it wasn't my main. Nothing I did would keep BF2042 on my new monitor until I disconnected everything and reconnected it first. Windows 11 also doesn't let you reassign the numbers. I know I did that before in Windows 7 or 10.

On 5120x1440p myself and BF is pretty epic on it. Can't go wrong with either choice though.

Grats on the new monitor.

It is amazing how little EA and DICE seem to have done with BF. Just played a bunch of rounds again where my team lost like 10 times in a row. At no point did the game try to rebalance like custom servers in BF4 did.

Tried redacted since I kept hearing it was like the old lockers map, but didn't really feel like it to me. Weird to see Rush still be the big game mode alongside Conquest since the complaints have always been the maps aren't designed for Rush. Either I am unlucky or I have yet to see a map that doesn't cater to the defenders.

It is sad to see. I get I am no longer the target audience for FPS games, but I don't see what they have improved in anything over the last 10 years. Oh they have AI now, I remember when they were called bots in the early games, but considering they take vehicles and just park them not sure how good they are.

Solo mode is surprisingly decent. I have been playing it just to unlock stuff and also mess around with weapons I wouldn't use in a real match. AI is much like players in the way you have to run up to them and spam need ammo before they will drop ammo. The enemy medics seem to go way overboard in revives and your team seems to not. I wish you could play more modes though, but I guess you could set up a password protected portal game with just AI.

Free Access is starting next week with the Season 7 update.

• PlayStation: 10 PM UTC on March 20, 2024, through 8 PM UTC on March 25, 2024
  • Xbox: 10 PM UTC on March 20, 2024, through 8 PM UTC on March 25, 2024
  • Steam: 5 PM UTC on March 21, 2024, through 5 PM UTC on March 24, 2024

1710290752651.png

Back