Battlefield 2042

You're lucky they even show you other people's kills and deaths. It's been the trend to remove that because people are such babies, in the future they probably won't even tell you who won or lost.
Participation trophies for everybody.

Finally managed to get into two matches in a row. Maybe they fixed the whole server joining thing. Of course, by the 2nd match, over half the players were bots.

I still find the balance to be so off. Even if you need certain upgrades, the menu system is an absolute mess and I cannot see to find a way to configure weapons or vehicles without the game forcing you into a match first. Tank weapons are just too weak, map flow isn't that good. Too big and no heavy vehicles spawn outside of the main starting bases which makes the game flow less dynamically.

Could it be worse? Yes. But as it is, this is just barely playable.

Battlefield 2042 Screenshot 2022.03.09 - 15.49.30.75.png
Battlefield 2042 Screenshot 2022.03.09 - 15.56.37.35.png
Battlefield 2042 Screenshot 2022.03.09 - 15.49.08.08.png

...and still, bugs are present. Like your tank flipping over and clipping through the ground. Or being unable to exit a vehicle (press escape key to fix). Upon exiting, my rifle looked like my pistol, with the slide locked back (switch weapons to fix).

Battlefield 2042 Screenshot 2022.03.10 - 00.02.24.62.png

Still have yet to play the split desert/grass map.

Last edited:
played it a little last night, I think there's less rubberbanding now. flying is still fun. something about the game still feels off, I feel like my solider isn't planted to the ground. i can't explain it. the weapons don't feel heavy/have substance. but they do have recoil that you have to control. the infantry gameplay doesn't feel "solid". getting use to the inertia they put in tarkov probably isn't helping.

played it a little last night, I think there's less rubberbanding now. flying is still fun. something about the game still feels off, I feel like my solider isn't planted to the ground. i can't explain it. the weapons don't feel heavy/have substance. but they do have recoil that you have to control. the infantry gameplay doesn't feel "solid". getting use to the inertia they put in tarkov probably isn't helping.

Movement feels a bit floaty, and weapons across the board are too weak. Despite this weapons have a lot of recoil. The vehicle weapons against infantry are just too weak, although the higher explosive main gun round for the tank is better. But still vehicles are very weak. Almost comically weak. It feels like you have to put 20 rounds into an enemy before they go down.

The vehicle balance just doesn't seem that good. The lack of IFVs is also kind of lame. I know there is a new vehicle in place of them, but most of the additional slots are not that fun nor useful. The APC thing gets an additional flak turret but this is practically impossible to hit an enemy with, has a short range, and does little damage. That describes most of the secondary vehicle slots.

Movement feels a bit floaty, and weapons across the board are too weak. Despite this weapons have a lot of recoil. The vehicle weapons against infantry are just too weak, although the higher explosive main gun round for the tank is better. But still vehicles are very weak. Almost comically weak. It feels like you have to put 20 rounds into an enemy before they go down.

The vehicle balance just doesn't seem that good. The lack of IFVs is also kind of lame. I know there is a new vehicle in place of them, but most of the additional slots are not that fun nor useful. The APC thing gets an additional flak turret but this is practically impossible to hit an enemy with, has a short range, and does little damage. That describes most of the secondary vehicle slots.
yeah floaty is the word I was looking for lol. vehicles are weak like the tanks mini good takes too many bullets to kill someone but it also takes alot of rockets to kill a tank so I think its balanced, but not realistic. I think if they make vehicles stronger then they need to buff anti tank rockets. when I play infantry I primarly get killed by other infantry so I think balance is good.

They should just close the game down.
They can't. Would have to offer refunds, which they won't do. It's cheaper to devote a skeleton crew of devs to the game and run the servers then it would be refund everyone.

The game will receive very minimal updates. They cut back hard on their post-release development crew because they saw the pitiful player count numbers.

They can't. Would have to offer refunds, which they won't do. It's cheaper to devote a skeleton crew of devs to the game and run the servers then it would be refund everyone.

The game will receive very minimal updates. They cut back hard on their post-release development crew because they saw the pitiful player count numbers.
Yeah, it's just really sad.

they announced they are redesigning the maps and it will take awhile, that doesn't seem minimal to me in my opinion. as long as BF doesn't have any direct competition some players will come back.

Last edited:
yeah floaty is the word I was looking for lol. vehicles are weak like the tanks mini good takes too many bullets to kill someone but it also takes alot of rockets to kill a tank so I think its balanced, but not realistic. I think if they make vehicles stronger then they need to buff anti tank rockets. when I play infantry I primarly get killed by other infantry so I think balance is good.

The anti tank rockets don't seem to have the range either. All weapons have a much shorter range, despite the maps being too big with too many players and too little vehicles. Add in obscene vehicle respawn timers and no TDM, and this game makes little sense.

And it looks like they're locking weapon skins behind playing for a certain week, which is lame. So despite there being limited content, you'll going to gate keep what is already in the game? Yeah, no thanks. There are about 16 guns in the game (compared from something like 70 or so in BF4 pre-DLC) and they're being so skimpy on real content.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
The franchise is going to die with this terrible game. EA is probably happy that the player count is basically just people who recently bought the game without understanding its condition. Imagine their delight at having to run maybe a dozen ec2 instances to support what is left of the playerbase. They can deliver the bare minimum and run with whatever small profit they made, and have very little overhead.

I actually got into a server that looked to be filled with all human players (bots have AI next to their name).

Battlefield 2042 Screenshot 2022.03.10 - 19.15.57.54.png

Some of the interior areas are okay, but honestly, should've been left to a dedicated TDM mode. Previous BF games occasionally had "infantry safe spaces" but seems like this game has more of them.

Battlefield 2042 Screenshot 2022.03.10 - 19.14.49.71.png

Yeah EA seems to be making a lot of misses as of late, even in terms of sales.

As for 2042, I've been playing it recently. I still stand by saying it is just barely playable. The map flow, size, lack of server options, lack of vehicles, odd abilities, odd vehicle positions that are nearly useless and high grind just makes it hard to really get into. It becomes repetitive fast. The whole battle field concept feels weak and disconnected. Too many large infantry only sections, weak vehicles, bad vehicle time limit for spawns and heroes/abilities make it just odd. It just doesn't feel well tuned at all. Is it playable now? Yes, I can get into servers. Are there small bugs? Yes. But that is it. It is barely playable.

I know they're reworking map flag locations which might help, but that is only part of the problem. The entire vehicle/balance needs to be tweaked, heroes need to die in a fire, and change up the weapon handling to be more like BF4 (controlled bursts vs holding the trigger down).

Yeah EA seems to be making a lot of misses as of late, even in terms of sales.

As for 2042, I've been playing it recently. I still stand by saying it is just barely playable. The map flow, size, lack of server options, lack of vehicles, odd abilities, odd vehicle positions that are nearly useless and high grind just makes it hard to really get into. It becomes repetitive fast. The whole battle field concept feels weak and disconnected. Too many large infantry only sections, weak vehicles, bad vehicle time limit for spawns and heroes/abilities make it just odd. It just doesn't feel well tuned at all. Is it playable now? Yes, I can get into servers. Are there small bugs? Yes. But that is it. It is barely playable.

I know they're reworking map flag locations which might help, but that is only part of the problem. The entire vehicle/balance needs to be tweaked, heroes need to die in a fire, and change up the weapon handling to be more like BF4 (controlled bursts vs holding the trigger down).
I've gotta say, when the only positive is "it's playable", you know the franchise has hit rock fucking bottom. Any worse and they'd have a class action lawsuit aimed at them for selling an unusable product... That's as bad as it can possibly get for a game.

I've gotta say, when the only positive is "it's playable", you know the franchise has hit rock fucking bottom. Any worse and they'd have a class action lawsuit aimed at them for selling an unusable product... That's as bad as it can possibly get for a game.

Oh I realize that. This game isn't good, and likely never will be. So much would have to be changed to get it nice and fine tuned and I just do not see that happening. I find the experience to be very shallow and repetitive compared to BF4 Conquest. But at least I can join and have moderate amounts of fun. It just seems like I hit a wall within 10 hours, where I feel like I've experienced most the game has to offer due to boneheaded design. It can somewhat keep my attention, but just barely.

Oh man, it is amazing. It flew way under my radar. The maps are gigantic, the sound quality is like you're literally in Band of Brothers. I haven't actually experienced this level of teamwork in a game since I used to do competitive BF2 games ages ago.

If you play as an officer (squad leader) you essentially have 3 voice channels running. One for local voice chat, one for the squad, and one for the commander and other officers. If you get in on a good server, it is pretty awesome.

I don't mind teamplay and PTFOing but is it cumbersome like Squad or even worse Arma? Squad isn't awful but can be infuriating at times. When there's action it's great but I almost fall asleep playing it.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
I don't mind teamplay and PTFOing but is it cumbersome like Squad or even worse Arma? Squad isn't awful but can be infuriating at times. When there's action it's great but I almost fall asleep playing it.
I haven't played either of those, so I'm not sure.

As long as you understand which objectives are in play, there is very little downtime in Hell Let Loose though. It was a fairly well thought out commander role as well.

My first day playing I didn't understand how the objective stuff worked and I was by myself for ages it felt like. All cap points aren't active like in BF

And hopefully gamers have learned a valuable lesson to stop preordering and wait for reviews.
I think alot of people tried the game out with ea play subscription or got refunded via steam. I don't think EA/dice made much money.

Yep. I paid for a month of EA play pro. That's it. I played 2042 for about two weeks and it was awful. Used the remaining time of my Play Pro subscription to play some other games.

DICE have supposedly learned valuable lessons from the failure of Battlefield 2042 and are reassessing the plans for the "Battlefield universe" coming in the future. Article is from Tom Henderson, who is typically reliable with inside sources.

https://www.xfire.com/battlefield-series-feature-reversions-valuable-lessons-battlefield-2042/
the fact they have to "assess" this, is a problem. They made a game that lost all the features of a battlefield game. If they didnt learn from hardline, they clearly arent learning from this.

at this point, they should remake BF2, and call it Iran or something. Set in the late 90's. Basically 2042, but add nostalgia, and PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION TO THE FEATURES A DEFINITIVE BF GAME HAS.

Won’t ever happen. Again, DICE has been largely captured by people that don’t game to begin with. At best they’ve played some freemium games on their phone. Every decision is made by marketing department type idiots.

Won’t ever happen. Again, DICE has been largely captured by people that don’t game to begin with. At best they’ve played some freemium games on their phone. Every decision is made by marketing department type idiots.
These people will be looking for a new job soon enough given how well the game performs due to their decisions.

Back