Battlefield 2042

I would like to know this as well as I have not kept up with the BF series in a bit. I still play BF4 for a good few rounds of fragging people. I am going to wait a bit to buy this version, if I do at all.
for one portal always us to play certain bfbc, bf3 and bf1942 map games. this part works very well

What is Portal?

They remade small amounts of content from BF3, BF1942, and BFBC2. A small selection of weapons, vehicles, maps, and player designs are remade from those games. You can pit any era against each other. WWII vs modern, etc. Kind of limited, but interesting.

I would have to disagree. The game looks fantastic. The problem isn't the 3090, the problem is the game is very CPU bound even at 4k.

If you honestly don't like it, I think spreading false information in the thread is not warranted. No need to keep posting in here where a majority of the people actually like the game. Sure there are some issues, but it isn't as bad as you say it is.

Heck some of the people said they watched "videos" and said the game sucks. Sad really.
RT in this game absolutely murders performance for minimal visual gain. That's a simple fact, and it has nothing to do with the game being CPU bound (which it is, in many cases).

They remade small amounts of content from BF3, BF1942, and BFBC2. A small selection of weapons, vehicles, maps, and player designs are remade from those games. You can pit any era against each other. WWII vs modern, etc. Kind of limited, but interesting.
Thanks

Offf biggest problem with this damn game is the CPU...how did we go from smooth in the Beta to this trash on CPU utilization

RT in this game absolutely murders performance for minimal visual gain. That's a simple fact, and it has nothing to do with the game being CPU bound (which it is, in many cases).
No gamer who wants the best frame rate would even use RT in a game like this, regardless of resolution.

Not sure if this is a memory leak or working as intended.

RAM usage was increasing about 2-3MB per second until it reached 16GB used. Normally the game runs about 8-9GB used. From the moment this screenshot was taken... it peaked. Then the round ended and immediately 2GB of RAM was freed. This kept climbing again for another 5 minutes into the next round then suddenly the RAM usage dropped down to 8-9GB used as if it fixed itself. FWIW, you may notice the tornado on the map. However, this had been going on for several rounds to get that high with and without tornadoes. Fortunately, I have 32GB of RAM installed so I could afford it to do this. The game was completely playable thru all of this.

bf2042 memory leak 16gb ram.PNG

Last edited:
theres really no tight close quarters maps it looks like. I've played all the maps except for one and I haven't seen the rotterdam of 2142. its really the opposite of cod.

Not sure if this is a memory leak or working as intended.

RAM usage was increasing about 2-3MB per second until it reached 16GB used. Normally the game runs about 8-9GB used. From the moment this screenshot was taken... it peaked. Then the round ended and immediately 2GB of RAM was freed. This kept climbing again for another 5 minutes into the next round then suddenly the RAM usage dropped down to 8-9GB used as if it fixed itself. FWIW, you may notice the tornado on the map. However, this had been going on for several rounds to get that high with and without tornadoes. Fortunately, I have 32GB of RAM installed so I could afford it to do this. The game was completely playable thru all of this.

View attachment 413030
its fine

I'm going to have fun playing Call of Duty unless the reviews are otherwise.
I’m enjoying Vanguard multiplayer far more compared to the past two games. The weapons and maps just feel better. Also, the performance is great and the game looks really good outside of the massive storage requirements.

At least 2042 isn’t COD anymore though. I’ll give it that. However, it’s broke ass shit right now.

theres really no tight close quarters maps it looks like. I've played all the maps except for one and I haven't seen the rotterdam of 2142. its really the opposite of cod.

Most of the maps favour snipers, gunplay is pretty much fucked anyway, a few vids doing the rounds showing bullets randomly deviating.

Squads is so messed up it's a real turn off, no control over what squad you are in, I've been put in a squad of me and one other, or you get stuck in a squad that doesn't work together. The only thing I figured out how to do Is hand off being squad leader, beyond that there is no way to change squads. It also looks like if you want to join a friend forget it, that seems to be busted as well. Im still getting a DirectX crash/hang from time to time, 39 pages so far at the EA forum regarding the issue, DirectX error. There is 60 pages of people complaining of the persistence data issue, which I also have gotten a few times, Persistance data error. Both of these EA has responded to, but really come on, the game is a hot mess, hopefull with the actual release on the 19th they issue a patch or shortly thereafter.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
Squads is so messed up it's a real turn off, no control over what squad you are in, I've been put in a squad of me and one other, or you get stuck in a squad that doesn't work together. The only thing I figured out how to do Is hand off being squad leader, beyond that there is no way to change squads. It also looks like if you want to join a friend forget it, that seems to be busted as well. Im still getting a DirectX crash/hang from time to time, 39 pages so far at the EA forum regarding the issue, DirectX error. There is 60 pages of people complaining of the persistence data issue, which I also have gotten a few times, Persistance data error. Both of these EA has responded to, but really come on, the game is a hot mess, hopefull with the actual release on the 19th they issue a patch or shortly thereafter.
its fine?

I do like parts of this game but man, the bad is so fucking bad that it ruins the rest.

Bugs like the hovercrafts going up buildings are silly and unintended but shit like having all my attachments disappear one life but not the next or simply being unable to fire *any* weapon for a life is frustrating as fuck. And, to kick you while you're down, every asshole has a DMR because the map design guarantees that you die to them or a chopper because there's absolutely no fucking cover to speak of.

Also, can't seem to get anything other than Orbital 8-9 times out of 10. I do like Manifest quite a lot with McKay and that grapple, though. Holy shit I feel like Batman or some parkour master with the incredible amount of mobility on that map

I'm really liking this game as well. The design approach and aesthetic really stands out to me. The 2042 maps can be big at first, but I've learned to just focus on one small section for a while, and then when it's time to move somewhere else try to hop in a vehicle.

I'm getting some frame drops when ADS'ing depending on the scope I'm using, but if I recall I had this exact same issue when BFV launched. It's annoying for sure, but I can live with it.

As I predicted since it seems to be the trend with any large scale multiplayer release, you will have your "I'ma refund this game" , "this game is trash" crowd as they need their false sense of empowerment (that is short lived of course). Then after a couple month the people talking about the game will only be those who enjoy it and have helpful. It's an easy trend to predict given the state of people and the internet these days.

I dunno, maybe I have a different perspective since my first real PC game was Battlefield Vietnam running at 25fps on my Dell Inspiron laptop back in 2004. I did add some ram which got me to 28fps, haha.

Cancel my preorder but I've got EA Play so I jumped on yesterday and played for an hour. What a mess this game is. I was in the hover craft and started on the US side hit one of the snow peaks on the snow map and my hovercraft went flying. I flew all the way to the bottom of the map and killed a bunch of the opposing enemies at the bottom of the map. Hilarious bugs as I've seen hovercrafts climbing skyscrapers then jumping to the next skyscraper and climbing it. Hit reg was all over the place. The thing I notice was the maps are large but so empty. Alot of empty open areas you have to move thru- Dice sacrificed dense small maps for large empty barren maps to accommodate the 128 player count.

Then after a couple month the people talking about the game will only be those who enjoy it and have helpful. It's an easy trend to predict given the state of people and the internet these days.
Any game can be enjoyed. But for a multiplayer only game, you need a large player base.
If and when the player base falls off after December, AI bots will litter the lobbies on those barren maps, and you won't play anymore as well.

Last edited:
Any game can be enjoyed. But for a multiplayer only game, you need a large player base.
If and when the player base falls off after December, AI bots will litter the lobbies on those barren maps, and you won't play anymore as well.
They obviously thought it necessary to push it out early. I'm not sure why, getting poor initial reviews will greatly harm the playerbase going forward.

I mean do people get satisfaction killing bots? They even had close quarters maps in old Battlefield games. This is large open space living rooms.

They obviously thought it necessary to push it out early. I'm not sure why, getting poor initial reviews will greatly harm the playerbase going forward.

It's currently holding a 79 on Metacritic, which is a bit higher than I would have guessed. Not great, but definitely not in the category of "poor initial reviews".

Some are saying they will go back to BFV, but if I recall, when BFV launched they were saying they were going to go back to BF4...

It's currently holding a 79 on Metacritic. Not great, but not exactly "poor" either.
I'm not going by metacritic. I'm going by reports of long time players who have listed their frustrations in this very thread. Myself, I have 0 faith in Dice and it seems to me that portal should have been its own game.

The BF player base could barely maintain 64 players in previous titles after the initial launch. The meat grinders were full but everything else had less than 64 players.
Not sure what made them think 128 was a good idea. I used to really enjoy 48 player lobbies on some maps so choke points don't become a meat grinder.

The BF player base could barely maintain 64 players in previous titles after the initial launch. The meat grinders were full but everything else had less than 64 players.
Not sure what made them think 128 was a good idea. I used to really enjoy 48 player lobbies on some maps so choke points don't become a meat grinder.
Yeah maps can really become stupid nade spam fests if not designed for a certain playercount. Some think it was originally going to be a BR game so that's why it's 128 max. Could be complete baloney though.

Yeah maps can really become stupid nade spam fests if not designed for a certain playercount. Some think it was originally going to be a BR game so that's why it's 128 max. Could be complete baloney though.
I was in Portal, hardcore match.....with AI bots because the server wasn't full. Needless to say no chance against them at distance because they can spot you easily unlike a real player in that mode.
The SWS-10 was on easy mode for them to say the least. That's an easy mode rifle period.

I hate to say this, but since there is crossplay (Which I hate imo) there will always be games to play with no bots. That will limit games with bots by quite a bit.

BUT, I will not play with crossplay enabled.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
I wonder/hope we get a whole new build of the game friday. I find it strange the system requirements are 100gb yet the game is 47gb. seems like there's missing textures and alot of interiors of buildings are empty.

Played a portal team dm 2042 weapons smaller maps server last night that was fun. Only had one map that was too big and that was Valparaiso. I haven't poked around in portal much yet, might try that a bit more tonight. Attempted to get blizzard to refund my cod:vanguard game and they told me to pound sand twice, so I just uninstalled all the blizzard/activation games

There's something else going on that I came across that matches my experience. Weapon Bloom.
For some reason, you can't have laser aim on a target, burst fire is inaccurate. First time hearing that term but it's exactly what I experience.
I have came across players, got the jump on them and still lost because my shots seemly didn't touch their hitbox. Sniper rifles are unaffected by this.

In 2042, the game determines where your round will land:
Weapon Bloom Example
Another Example

This was the same reason why I couldn't get into BF1, the weapons just seem artificially inaccurate.

Last edited:
Back