Battlefield 2042

let me get the crystal ball...
no requirements listed yet, that i know of but i would guess not without dropping from ultra.
Yea, that's sort of what I was going for. No idea where I stand on the scale of graphics. I simply play Path of Exile, so I'm a bit behind on the graphics requirement curve.

Thoughts on a 3070 on a 1440@144?
I play BF V at 1440@144Hz, but mostly on High with a GTX 1080 Ti and I get averages north of 100 fps in most situations so your 3070 should be fine if you don't mind sacrificing some Ultra details. To be honest, after the first few hours of play when the game is new, I'm more concentrated on the gameplay than on the eye candy....

My own crystal ball says a 3070 @ 1440p will play just fine at ultra. Obviously everything is guess work at this point, but that's my guess. I don't think you'll hit 144fps, but I think 80-100 would be doable. Also, with 128 players, I think the CPU will be a big performance factor as well. I was really hoping I'd have a 3080/TI/3090 in time for BF 2042. But the difficulty in acquiring one combined with my refusal to over-pay combined with these cards already being half way through their life cycle probably means I'm going to be playing with my 1080Ti @ 1440p. I don't mind turning down a setting or two as long as I can keep textures and draw distances at maximum. I can give up some shadow quality, smoke quality, ambient occlusion and use lower quality AA.

Back in my day you spawned with what you picked and if you didn't like it you either suicide (which you only did if some n00b crashed a helo in the middle of the ocean) or if you killed a player on the enemy team and hope he has gear that you like :)
This game isn't based on country militaries, therefore no classes, no loadout.
These are private militaries which means they can carry whatever they want to carry.
Without the direction of a central command, you get chaos, which DICE is trying to achieve with this game.

Flow with the storyline and then the game will be easier to digest.

This game isn't based on country militaries, therefore no classes, no loadout.
These are private militaries which means they can carry whatever they want to carry.
Without the direction of a central command, you get chaos, which DICE is trying to achieve with this game.

Flow with the storyline and then the game will be easier to digest.

Story doesn't matter much. It isn't like Marines had access to most of the guns in BF3 or BF4 and likewise for the Russians and Chinese. If you want to get down to it, a PMC will do the same because logistics and per unit cost is cheaper when you buy one item.

Ignorning all that, there is no campaign and story is pointless in mutliplayer. You just need a theme.

Nvidia, we have a problem:D
Amd graphics always work better when it comes to BF, who plays BF that buys amd gpu, so it's always been.
Amd doesn't have dlss or raytracing but that doesn't mean that nvidia is better with dlls, dlss additionally processes the image and amd doesn't, amd rx6000 is more pure gaming graphics and rtx 3000 is more for gpu mining and other things.
Here is the proof that rx 6800xt is stronger than rtx 3080 and so 99% will be in bf 2042, the difference can only be bigger in favor of amd.

Or here, the difference is smaller at a higher resolution but still, these are old tests and probably the current difference is even bigger in favor of amd gpu.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt/7.html
There is no reason to doubt that it will be the same with bf 2042

I logged in after six months just to say this is wrong. Ignoring nVidia’s massive advantage with RT and DLSS, it’s just wrong.

5AAD3B5A-1C3D-4CB2-B0B3-396FF07BB739.png

Regardless either company’s card will run great, and RT in a multiplayer FPS isn’t a selling point for me, but to try and (basically) say AMD is the only valid choice for BF players is completely asinine.

Last edited:
Holy Nuts total game play chaos where you and your mouse don't matter hope its not too overwhelming. PC is going run hot with all that going on the screen.

I logged in after six months just to say this is wrong. Ignoring nVidia’s massive advantage with RT and DLSS, it’s just wrong.

You really need to post more. I couldn't tell if the guy you were responding to was trolling or just operating on outdated assumptions, but totally correct. There was a time that AMD and DICE seemed to be collaborating more actively on pushing graphics forward - like getting Mantle into BF4 and a few other games (and the Vulkan renderer was the beautiful offspring of some of those efforts) - but that was literally eight years ago. I'm sure there are also conversations happening about including things like AMD's FidelityFX before launch, but it's not going to turn any benchmark charts on their head.

Regardless either company’s card will run great, and RT in a multiplayer FPS isn’t a selling point for me, but to try and (basically) say AMD is the only valid choice for BF players is completely asinine.

For sure. Raytracing makes for great trailers, but in competitive play, all the extra eyecandy can create headwind and generally make it more of a pain in the ass to see the enemy. I think a lot of people just turned it off in BFV. That said, AMD 6000 series are monster GPU's that will run this game fantastically.

Last edited:
You really need to post more. I couldn't tell if the guy you were responding to was trolling or just operating on outdated assumptions, but totally correct. There was a time that AMD and DICE seemed to be collaborating more actively on pushing graphics forward - like getting Mantle into BF4 and a few other games (and the Vulkan renderer was the beautiful offspring of some of those efforts) - but that was literally eight years ago. I'm sure there are also conversations happening about including things like AMD's FidelityFX before launch, but it's not going to turn any benchmark charts on their head.

For sure. Raytracing makes for great trailers, but in competitive play, all the extra eyecandy can create headwind and generally make it more of a pain in the ass to see the enemy. That said, AMD 6000 series are monster GPU's that will run this game fantastically.
I play with all the graphics. I paid for them, I'm going to use them. Seriously, I am playing the game for fun, not to pretend I am practicing for a sanctioned competition.

I play with all the graphics. I paid for them, I'm going to use them. Seriously, I am playing the game for fun, not to pretend I am practicing for a sanctioned competition.
Pro Competitive play is the bane of gamers.

View attachment 366303

There doesn't seem to be consistency across reviews on stuff like this.

I.E. Techpowerup shows AMD leading in BF5

3070ti review June 9th
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-founders-edition/6.html

6900XTX review May 6th
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-radeon-rx-6900-xt-oc-formula/6.html

I skimmed most of that video. Did they mention anything about traditional Conquest or Team Deathmatch? Or a hardcore mode?

There doesn't seem to be consistency across reviews on stuff like this.

I.E. Techpowerup shows AMD leading in BF5

3070ti review June 9th
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-founders-edition/6.html

6900XTX review May 6th
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-radeon-rx-6900-xt-oc-formula/6.html
Read the description at the top. TPU tested the game in DirectX 11 mode for some reason (it's used by "the majority of players" according to them) while Guru3D tested in DirectX 12.

Does BF do any of that SBMM bullshit? I gave up playing COD ever again because of it.
I think they only experimented with it in BFV, and people hated it. If they want the game to die a quick death they will have it across all modes in this one.

I find that while I can get decent frame rates (85-100) on Ultra/RTX at 3840x1600 in BF V, those super detailed modes feel more sluggish than the frame rate would suggest - lowering the detail to a hybrid of high with some ultra settings makes it feel like there is a lot less input latency.

RTX/Ultra is quite stunning in BF V - it's great to show off, but it wasn't a great play experience in my opinion.

Can I ask, does anyone actually enjoy/care about RT in fastpace games? It's great for showing off pretty pictures but beyond that once I start playing and action is going on I never notice it, far as I'm concerned even if RT was only a 5% performance hit I'd still leave it off as it's honestly a useless feature for MP fps games imo.

I'm way more concerned with fps and being able to differentiate between a shrub and an enemies head at a distance lol

Can I ask, does anyone actually enjoy/care about RT in fastpace games? It's great for showing off pretty pictures but beyond that once I start playing and action is going on I never notice it, far as I'm concerned even if RT was only a 5% performance hit I'd still leave it off as it's honestly a useless feature for MP fps games imo.

I'm way more concerned with fps and being able to differentiate between a shrub and an enemies head at a distance lol

Raytracing could provide a competitive advantage if they allow it to. For example seeing the lighting change on a wall because an enemy is around a corner, looking at a puddle under a vehicle and seeing the reflection of what's on the other side. You could be camping in a building looking out the window and see reflections in the glass of someone behind you.

But if it doesn't provide a competitive advantage and I'm not getting 120 fps at 4k because of it I would turn it off

Raytracing could provide a competitive advantage if they allow it to. For example seeing the lighting change on a wall because an enemy is around a corner, looking at a puddle under a vehicle and seeing the reflection of what's on the other side. You could be camping in a building looking out the window and see reflections in the glass of someone behind you.

But if it doesn't provide a competitive advantage and I'm not getting 120 fps at 4k because of it I would turn it off
If it was that good I'd consider it for sure, but till we reach that point it just seems like a rather large performance hog for shooters to me. Even then it would depend on how much of a performance hit I take, realistically a good sound setup lets you hear most enemies sneaking up on you/into a building pretty easily. I have gotten a ton of good kills thanks to surround sound and proper implications of it in game (battlefield 1 was really good at this). I'll admit though I do enjoy RT in some singleplayer games. A few times in Spiderman Miles Morales it caught me off guard in the window reflections and made me appreciate it on my ps5.

Read the description at the top. TPU tested the game in DirectX 11 mode for some reason (it's used by "the majority of players" according to them) while Guru3D tested in DirectX 12.
Which would lean in Nvidia's favor since their GPU's depend way more on the CPU of the system than AMD's GPU's. I think HUB even did a video about it.

Either way those FPS numbers are so close, and its a game no one plays anyway.....bring on BF2042!

Which would lean in Nvidia's favor since their GPU's depend way more on the CPU of the system than AMD's GPU's. I think HUB even did a video about it.

Either way those FPS numbers are so close, and its a game no one plays anyway.....bring on BF2042!
I don't know what you are referring to. I don't know if AMD ever enabled multithreading in DirectX 11 like NVIDIA did, so of course the CPU will be utilized more on NVIDIA cards in that case. And I thought DirectX 12 was supposed to be better for AMD because of all the asynchronous compute hype, yet NVIDIA are the cards that have the advantage with that API in this game.

There are too many variables, many of them subjective. Depends on the game and level of optimization, depends on your personal tastes, depends on your GPU/CPU/monitor resolution and refresh rate, depends if you've got the horsepower to spare, depends if you played with G.I. Joe as a kid.

That said, if I have RTX on and a bullet whizzes by, and I can see the enemy around the corner in the reflection on that bullet, then RTX stays on for me, yes.

Last edited:
If it was that good I'd consider it for sure, but till we reach that point it just seems like a rather large performance hog for shooters to me. Even then it would depend on how much of a performance hit I take, realistically a good sound setup lets you hear most enemies sneaking up on you/into a building pretty easily. I have gotten a ton of good kills thanks to surround sound and proper implications of it in game (battlefield 1 was really good at this). I'll admit though I do enjoy RT in some singleplayer games. A few times in Spiderman Miles Morales it caught me off guard in the window reflections and made me appreciate it on my ps5.
Agreed, this is why I never disable shadows. I'll lower the quality if necessary but never disable. Plenty of times I'll see an enemies shadow before I actually see the enemy.

I don't know what you are referring to. I don't know if AMD ever enabled multithreading in DirectX 11 like NVIDIA did, so of course the CPU will be utilized more on NVIDIA cards in that case. And I thought DirectX 12 was supposed to be better for AMD because of all the asynchronous compute hype, yet NVIDIA are the cards that have the advantage with that API in this game.
In DX11 it's no contest. nVidia's drivers are FAR more efficient. In DX12, it's not so clear and AMD seems to hold a slight advantage in terms of driver overhead.

One of the maps is apparently as big(5.9 square kilometers) as PUBG's Vikendi map, and there's 6 other maps to come out at launch.

Very impressive.

@7:00

One of the maps is apparently as big(5.9 square kilometers) as PUBG's Vikendi map, and there's 6 other maps to come out at launch.

Very impressive.

@7:00

Vikendi is actually 6x6 km for 36 km². And didn't they already show that one of the maps in 2042 is bigger?

If the Bots are noobs I have no problem the thing us they EA Dice should use different colors like in the K/D lineup. to ID the Bots from the real players so you know what your up against.

Only thing i'm concerned with is the use of AI bots to fill empty slots in multiplayer. I get they want the "illusion" of full games all the time, but I'd rather play with 80-100 real players than 128 players with a third of them being bots.
im sure they have different servers with different settings so it all works....myself im not counting on 128 real players being lag free, but who knows lol

Back