Battlefield 2 worth getting, or still horribly buggy?

It's a great game, buy it.

You don't need a killer system to play it at 1024, no lag.

Baseline is a 9800pro with 1gb ram, a 2ghz AthlonXP/2.8ghz P4.

urbsnspices said:
I still dont understand this, what do you consider a long load time? 30 seconds? 80 seconds? 5 mins? Maybe my load time is tolerable because I play at just above medium settings.

Operation Clean Sweep may not be the biggest map but the flags are spread out as much as possible. Anyone up for boat ride? The Dam atleast had the flags evenly spread and tons of vehicles.

It takes almost 2 minutes to load a map, this is unacceptable to me. The interface is also wretched. I almost never played the game because of my frustration with setting it up. I think high school kids could have programed something smoother. The whole profile thing with the inability to change your name is also retarded. I seriously did not feel like playing the game by the time I was done setting it up. I have played the game about 4 times since I bought it, which was shortly after it came out. I will not buy any more BF sequels at full price and without reading extensive reviews to see if they have fixed things.

Defective said:
It takes almost 2 minutes to load a map, this is unacceptable to me. The interface is also wretched. I almost never played the game because of my frustration with setting it up. I think high school kids could have programed something smoother. The whole profile thing with the inability to change your name is also retarded. I seriously did not feel like playing the game by the time I was done setting it up. I have played the game about 4 times since I bought it, which was shortly after it came out. I will not buy any more BF sequels at full price and without reading extensive reviews to see if they have fixed things.
You know what? Look at your HDD when the maps are loading. What does that tell you? Well it may not tell you anything, but it's telling. Also, people say "OMG BF2 really needs 2GB of RAM", do you know why? It's also telling...

How many other games use 2GB of RAM? Thus increased load times, especially when compared to other games.

You think you can code better. Show me your game, how well does it play?

Phoenix86 said:
You know what? Look at your HDD when the maps are loading. What does that tell you? Well it may not tell you anything, but it's telling. Also, people say "OMG BF2 really needs 2GB of RAM", do you know why? It's also telling...

How many other games use 2GB of RAM? Thus increased load times, especially when compared to other games.

You think you can code better. Show me your game, how well does it play?

I don't need to code to tell you that an easier interface could have been made. Please, look at Half-Life 1 & 2, Doom 3, or any other game with fully configurable controls and tell me that the interface in BF2 has an any excuse for being as rediculously irritating as it is to use. Descent 1 was butt-simple to set up and that game came out before Win95. Server browsers are also nothing new. There is no excuse at all for the interface of this game other than to say that it was an afterthought.

I also know that people that are running the game on far better systems than mine take a long time to load maps.

Also, the "you think you can code better" comment is completely rediculous. I am a consumer. I protest with my pocketbook. Just because I chose not to become a programmer doesn't mean I have no room to complain about the design of a product.

I absolutely love how people compare a huge mmo game to their little 12 player counter strike games in loadtimes, graphics, etc. They completely disregard how it is on a huge detailed map, with explosions, artillary, tanks, jets, turrets, etc moving about laying waste to everything.

As for the OP, the quality of your gaming will depend heavily on your system.

EDIT: I agree the server interface was crap on release, but the recent patches fixed the sorting and major hangtime.

Defective said:
It takes almost 2 minutes to load a map, this is unacceptable to me. QUOTE]

It takes me ~65 seconds to load a map. Really, its about 45 seconds to load and 15-20 seconds to verify the client. I actually timed it when the game first came out. I have an old 2.4GHz XP, gig of pc3200 ram, and a 8Mb cache HD. I guess if you cant wait a minute then you have little choice but to play a faster loading game.

My biggest complaint is that I dont have time to take a leak between maps.

urbsnspices said:
It takes me ~65 seconds to load a map. Really, its about 45 seconds to load and 15-20 seconds to verify the client. I actually timed it when the game first came out. I have an old 2.4GHz XP, gig of pc3200 ram, and a 8Mb cache HD. I guess if you cant wait a minute then you have little choice but to play a faster loading game.

My biggest complaint is that I dont have time to take a leak between maps.

I'll admit that I am being a little unfair about the load times, which for me are pretty high, but my first impression of the game was so negative that at that point the load times just added to my irritation and continued to irritate me after I had to create a second, offline, profile.

I believe I am being nice in my assessment of the interface though. It was, bar none, the worst interface I have ever used in a game.

I remember loading up BF1942 with 256mb of ram, damn talk about waiting for a while. I use to make Dagwood size sandwiches in the time it took to load a new map. At least with the BF series you know the wait is worth it.

:)

Any of you play Forgotten Hope for BF1942? Load times would be about 3 minutes because the maps were easily two or three times the size of original 1942 maps.

If you don't like load times, get a book and read a couple of pages while it loads.

So you never played the game? Its really fun.

Defective said:
I don't need to code to tell you that an easier interface could have been made.
I wasn't responding to the comments on the interface, yes that's bad. I was responding to your comments load time. You don't even know why it takes that long to load, so why is it "unacceptable"? Do you really mean you want lower textures and smaller maps?

Please, look at Half-Life 1 & 2, Doom 3, or any other game with fully configurable controls and tell me that the interface in BF2 has an any excuse for being as rediculously irritating as it is to use. Descent 1 was butt-simple to set up and that game came out before Win95. Server browsers are also nothing new. There is no excuse at all for the interface of this game other than to say that it was an afterthought.
You can play moving target all day long. I didn't comment about the server browser, which I agree is crap. I responeded to your load time argument. Reading comprehension for the win.

I also know that people that are running the game on far better systems than mine take a long time to load maps.
My load times are not 4 minutes, more like 2-3 from desktop to fragging. My system isn't *that* good either. [email protected], 1gb, 9800, *2mb* cache drive 7200 RPM HDD.

Also, you are plainly ignorant as the *cause* of the load times. I gave you more than one clue in my first reply to you. Here, try reading between the lines.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's loading a LOT of data, and that takes time. See map sizes, see texture sizes, or just watch you HDD while you are loading.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fact is you don't appreciate the larger complexity of the game. As a consumer you don't want it, fine, but don't act ignorant.

Well I hope they fix the refresh rate crash. I run a modified monitor driver to force higher refresh rates. In bf1942 setting renderer.allowAllRefreshRates to 1 made that game work, but bf2 just crashes. For now I have to switch between the default driver for bf2 and my hacked ini for all other games.

Phoenix86 said:
I wasn't responding to the comments on the interface, yes that's bad. I was responding to your comments load time. You don't even know why it takes that long to load, so why is it "unacceptable"? Do you really mean you want lower textures and smaller maps?

Hahaha, then you were asking me if games that I have coded work better? Then I was very correct to say that your comment asking me to code better is completely rediculous. Something along the lines of Linux extremists that tell everyone that finds a flaw with a linux program or a missing feature to "code it themselves". Still a rediculous arguement. You were better off sticking with the "higher system requirements" arguement. That is much more valid in my opinion. It probably would load faster if I added another 1GB of DDR. I wish that turning down the textures in the video options would reduce the load time by a more significant number. The "optimizing shaders" "feature" that says it is only supposed to run once but instead runs every time I load a map, probably also contributes to my crappy load time. I think, actually, when doing that my load time is closer to 4 minutes. Maybe you might understand how I might be a little upset.

Also, keep in mind that when I jumped into a game and there was 5 minutes left on the map and I had just spent 4 minutes loading, I was less than thrilled.

Heres my thoughts on bf2:

1. Still very unpolished. Sure most games come out this way at release, but they are supposedly shipping out an expansion soon. Please fix the base game before putting out expansions.

Well what makes the game so unpolished ?

2. Unbalanced helicopters. Has anyone used the piece of shit choppers that the MEC and Chinese get? It fires terribly slow which means you cant hit a damn thing. On the other side the US gets the blackhawk with chainguns which you just need to get close to infantry to kill them. Why does this matter ? With the ability to hover over a flag and a few Engineers the blackhawk becomes really powerful. Unless there is anti air around to shoot it down, or multiple anti tanks, it is going to rape the shit out of you.

3. Team damage and punishments. Why do you lose so many points for team damage, espeacially when there are so many morons online. Losing points for a team kill is one thing but a few friendly fire shots are bound to happen. Many times i have found my quick 25 point score driven to zero cause some retards drove their jeep into my tank or some other dumbass stunt.

4. Buggy fixing in helicopters. Multiple times i have been flying around in the chopper trying to fix it and it would not repair. It would make the fixing sound, and show the correct crosshair for fixing, but the helicopters health would not go up. (No we were not taking fire at the time)

Im sure theres more, but I guess this is enough. Its not too bad of a game, but there are a lot of things that make it frustrating.

biggest issue i have is when im gunning for the helicopters, that my bullets do not kill infantry that well. i have had several times where ive shot them with up to 10-20 bullets and they stand there unfazed. other times i hit them 3 times and it kills them.

I've decided to buy it, assuming I end up liking the demo and it has widescreen support. Thank you for all of the input guys... picking it up soon, just gotta scrape together a few bucks since I just bought parts for a new SFF rig :).

I'm the Dude said:
You get unlimited hand grenades,

well that realistic! :rolleyes:

:D

great game btw, who cares about the little things. Except it would be nice to get points for destroying enemy artillery!

QuakerOatz said:
It's a great game, buy it.

You don't need a killer system to play it at 1024, no lag.

Baseline is a 9800pro with 1gb ram, a 2ghz AthlonXP/2.8ghz P4.
I'm running D3 @ 800x600 with medium settings, how well will BF2 run on my system? Oh yeah here are most of the specs. I happen to have a slightly OCed Gigabyte 9600XT w/ 128MB ram tho.

Just as a note, if you want to improve load times you need more than a gig of ram. I put in a 2nd gig and load times were halved.

peltman78 said:
Just as a note, if you want to improve load times you need more than a gig of ram. I put in a 2nd gig and load times were halved.

2 Gigs is a godsend for this game.

Back