Battlefield 2, a return visit.

With the Steam install, you may have to "Validate" or what not the game files, sometimes the download misses some files, just do that a few times.
I moved from my cd install to a steam one when I couldn't find my original disc's, so far I've had a few black screens, a few CTD's and every now and then a PB kick, however the sheer amount of Joy/Frustration BF2 has brought me has not and will not be beaten by ANY COD series, (I like vehicles and freedom of movement..... I hate COD prone blocked by object this and that..

With the Steam install, you may have to "Validate" or what not the game files, sometimes the download misses some files, just do that a few times.
I moved from my cd install to a steam one when I couldn't find my original disc's, so far I've had a few black screens, a few CTD's and every now and then a PB kick, however the sheer amount of Joy/Frustration BF2 has brought me has not and will not be beaten by ANY COD series, (I like vehicles and freedom of movement..... I hate COD prone blocked by object this and that..

If you have a retail product key can you just add it to steam? So in the future it's playable through Steam? Or did you just purchase through Steam?

Too bad I can't install the game currently. Keeps telling me it is already installed and there is no disc in the drive while it runs the dvd drive at TOP SPEED. lol

So many install issues with this game over the years. Always a new problem. Fun game though.

Good memories from BF2 are what have me jonesing for Bad Company 2. Release on PC already, damn it! Marchhhh..

From what I have read, the PC beta will be an open beta test. Looking forward to helping these guys optimize the net code for this game!

Yup, started playing it again right around 1.5 patch release. Texas Team Players is about the only server I play on. I love squad play, but a lot of people dont participate and it makes it boring quick.

Yup, started playing it again right around 1.5 patch release. Texas Team Players is about the only server I play on. I love squad play, but a lot of people dont participate and it makes it boring quick.

It can and does happen that way but from what I remember and definitely what I am experiencing now, most games have a few good squads and a decent commander. Those always turn out to be great games.

If you have a retail product key can you just add it to steam? So in the future it's playable through Steam? Or did you just purchase through Steam?

Sorry, about the late reply...

I believe you should be able to use your old retail key and activate through steam to have it connected however I'm not sure on this, I'd give it a shot. I think it may not like just Vanilla BF2, it may have to be the complete collection as that is what is offered on Steam.

I purchased BF2 as a single item back in October of 05, I bought the BF2 SF and the 2 booster packs when they came out. so I had alot of money already in, and decided to purchase it on steam because I couldn't find the disc's.... I'm pretty pleased with my purchase so far.

SwitchFC

Installed last night and got to it to play but it takes a good 3-4 mins after I put my password in for it to connect to my account. Any ideas?

Possibly a network setting? I know that I was able to get in no problems. whats your connection?

Possibly a network setting? I know that I was able to get in no problems. whats your connection?

15/4 down/up

Just took off the intro videos and did an auto login in the target area and logged right in when I started the game.

But not to my surpise, game is still same old. EVERYONE has to hit their prone key the minute they see someone while holding down the fire button at the same time. Annoying as all hell.

15/4 down/up

Just took off the intro videos and did an auto login in the target area and logged right in when I started the game.

But not to my surpise, game is still same old. EVERYONE has to hit their prone key the minute they see someone while holding down the fire button at the same time. Annoying as all hell.

Well, its IS still BF2. Looking forward to the new Frostbite powered BF games coming out, but for now this is a good chance to get your chops up!

Damn this game is still going huh? I need to jump in on some SF I/O servers. Actually, I like variety, both IO and vehicles but sadly it seems like every SF server is either Ghost Town or Warlord. Both great maps but I like playing Devil's Perch and Mass Destruction once in a while.

Damn this game is still going huh? I need to jump in on some SF I/O servers. Actually, I like variety, both IO and vehicles but sadly it seems like every SF server is either Ghost Town or Warlord. Both great maps but I like playing Devil's Perch and Mass Destruction once in a while.

Dedicated servers ftw :D

I still love this game too. I have played crysis, Wolfenstein and COD 4 but didn't like them as much. I have not played the MW2. This is my all time favorite shooter
I like the huge maps, being able to play just infantry or go jump in a vehicle. What I really want is BF2 with destructible environments.

Bad Company 2 has destructible environments. Pretty awesome to see machine gun fire coming out of a window so you just blow the whole side of the building off.

BF2 is indeed a great game, which is why I'm anxiously awaiting BFBC2 and BF3 for the PC. I too reciently fired the game up and started playing. To my surprise, I was quite competitive still and managed to finish in the top 3 for my team in each round I played. All it needs is a new graphics engine to compete with the newer shooters.

Hehe, i remember how amazing these graphics were back when it came out. damn have things gotten really good in a short time. What makes this game is that the gameplay is SOLID, whether the graphics are 4 years old or not dont really matter. Personally they are good enough... but I totally want to play BFBC2.

BF2 is still pretty good but I enjoyed 2142 more. I hated the super deadly arty and the fact that ground to air AA was super weak (& the fact you appeared on their HUD) makes you an easy kill. However, playing infantry only on certain maps is probably the best MP I've enjoyed.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

BF2 is still pretty good but I enjoyed 2142 more. I hated the super deadly arty and the fact that ground to air AA was super weak (& the fact you appeared on their HUD) makes you an easy kill. However, playing infantry only on certain maps is probably the best MP I've enjoyed.

Play Karkand with friends, rape your way to the back flag, then enjoy raping the other team. Game is so cash.

Play Karkand with friends, rape your way to the back flag, then enjoy raping the other team. Game is so cash.

There is nothing that I can say about Karkand that hasn't been said before, classic map. Road to Jalalabad (spelling?) was actually my fav infantry map when it came out.

Still even tho airpower is a bit overpowered you can't go wrong with Wake Island in conquest mode.

Personally, my fav map has to be Gulf Of Oman. Back in the day there TONS of Oman only maps, now there dont seem to be too many running it 24/7. Big mao but not huge, plenty of air/choppers/tanks to go around and easy as hell to sneak back to the MEC base for some commander asset raping!

Highway Tampa is a fun map; dont get me wrong, but good GAWD is it HUGE.

I installed the game a few days ago, did it
BF2
SF
1.4.1 patch
1.5 patch

win7 64bit , no issues

but I gotta say I am disappointed at some of the stuff I saw...I was playing palace, and we were MEC defending the other flag...some of the guys (I think there was 6) just camped the corners of the flag room and 2 in the hall and waited for people to spawn to kill them...no one even tried to cap the flag...lame, and totally killed that round...left the server, and haven't seen such asshattery since, yipee for that...I'm all for no cap attacks, and overall anything goes, but that's just lame IMO

Alot of the servers ive been on lately have an auto admin program running that can tell if people are inenemy uncaps for too long or teamkilling ect. pretty cool if you ask me, but what I really like is that they give a warning or two before kick, just to make sure that the person isnt inthere just to steal a vehicle or something. Even then some servers wont have that and will autoadmin kick for vehicle stealing out of uncaps.

Admining a server seems to be pretty easy with that stuff installed.

I ran a BF2 server for a while. There were some pretty cool admin tools available for it. EA may not do everything right, but they did a lot right with BF2. Made it very easy to mod, very easy to setup servers for and very easy to administor those servers remotely without having to be in the game.

Just reinstalled today. Played for quite a few hours. Anyone know of a way to unlock all the weapons? I think I remember hearing there was a way to do it back in 1.4 but not sure about this patch.

Only problem is that whenever I launch the game my Dell U2410 flickers to redetect the input source and when it recovers it's in a really tiny resolution looking at the upper left of the screen. It's almost like it zooms into that corner of my desktop. Only way to fix it is to rescan input sources or power cycle my display.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like I fixed it by forcing my widescreen res. Oh well!
("C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +restart +szx 1920 +szy 1200)

Last edited:
Also gentoo, I found that to fully enable widescreen and NOT have it look like shit, you can enter this:

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +widescreen 1

Once you enter that path into your shortcut box for your desktop icon for BF2, your PC will now display in game the proper widescreen res you set in your graphics options.

Also gentoo, I found that to fully enable widescreen and NOT have it look like shit, you can enter this:

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +widescreen 1

Once you enter that path into your shortcut box for your desktop icon for BF2, your PC will now display in game the proper widescreen res you set in your graphics options.

!!!!!! off to try this now!

edit: hm, didn't notice any difference. at the moment it runs my 1920x1200 just fine. it's only the hud that looks all blah. was +widescreen 1 supposed to remedy that? i didn't think it was possible.

Last edited:
Didn't the 1.5 update patch in true widescreen support? I though that was one of the big changes in 1.5.

Didn't the 1.5 update patch in true widescreen support? I though that was one of the big changes in 1.5.

They did except it's not exactly "true" widescreen support. It's more or less the same widescreen fix that you had to use previously. Although perhaps the rendered game itself is true widescreen the HUD remains stretched.

Installed it, got it working, there are a shit load of textures missing like road textures and shit. I can see through everything. This is not going smoothly.

Installed it, got it working, there are a shit load of textures missing like road textures and shit. I can see through everything. This is not going smoothly.

Change your AA level, there's a bug in 1.5 that makes the road textures invisible when you use AA, but for some reason changing it from 8x to 4x works (or 4x to 2x). At least it has for every person I know that's had the invisible texture issue.

!!!!!! off to try this now!

edit: hm, didn't notice any difference. at the moment it runs my 1920x1200 just fine. it's only the hud that looks all blah. was +widescreen 1 supposed to remedy that? i didn't think it was possible.

When I was running the +fullscreen and the code for 1920x1200 the game looked like crap. I am not aware of the HUD changing to. Havent noticed the bugged road textures either.

I just noticed BF2 is a 5 year old game. Is anyone looking forward to BattleField: Bad Company 2? It looks like BF2 but with updated graphics. What I loved the most about BF2 were the vehicles, especially the helicopters.

Back