Batman: Arkham Origins

Funny. I searched for this because I wanted to complain about GFWL. Holy crap, if Origins has GFWL I will get a passport and take a week off of work to drive to Montreal and kick the responsible individual in the balls.

I played both previous Arkham games but the save data is as good as trash because of how GFWL stores saved data. I didn't backup AppData\Microsoft\XLive\*.* in the past and even though I have some save data in my My Documents folder I think they need some complimentary crap from the XLive folder to properly load those saves so I can't load anything from those games.

Hope for no GFWL + SecuROM like in Arkham City. I still refuse to purchase the game until they remove both of them from the Steam version.

User request DRM to be removed. But says he wants the Steam copies.. Oh the irony. :p

GFWL won't stop me from buying this game. But I wouldn't miss it if it was gone. I got it off GMG for 20$.. with credit + discount. I can't wait.. Loved the first 2.

i have a bad feeling the change in voice cast will make this similar to dragonball z kai ugh :(

i have a bad feeling the change in voice cast will make this similar to dragonball z kai ugh :(

I'm a huge fan of the first two games and I'm trying not to get my hope of because of this, and the fact that it's different people making the game...

I'm a huge fan of the first two games and I'm trying not to get my hope of because of this, and the fact that it's different people making the game...

Go on IGN and read their preview. They state that the combat and a lot of the gameplay elements are true to the previous two games and this developer has all the code and assets of the original devs which helps calm some of my concerns. Personally i'm going to wait for a few reviews unless the pre-order bonuses are amazing. So far what I have seen makes me excited to play it.

Go on IGN and read their preview. They state that the combat and a lot of the gameplay elements are true to the previous two games and this developer has all the code and assets of the original devs which helps calm some of my concerns. Personally i'm going to wait for a few reviews unless the pre-order bonuses are amazing. So far what I have seen makes me excited to play it.

That's how I feel. I'm liking what the Wii U version is showing, so that's the route I'll probably take.

Also, if anyone has a Vita or 3DS, check out the portable version. It's a side scrolling Metroid like game with 3D graphics made by the guys behind Metroid Prime.

Those old-school 2D Batman games for the NES and Genesis also kicked ass.
Of all of the comic franchises over the years, Batman has definitely fared the best.

Those old-school 2D Batman games for the NES and Genesis also kicked ass.
Of all of the comic franchises over the years, Batman has definitely fared the best.

Definitely with the movies and games. It's my understanding that another director is working on a new Batman movie to tie it into a Justice League movie, much like Marvel did with the Avengers. Who knows how that will turn out.

I'm surprised Rocksteady turned all those assests over to a new developer since Rocksteady is currently developing another Batman game as well...unless RS is using a new game engine

gameplay footage demo...

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/cuyg9t/batman--arkham-origins-e3-2013--walkthrough

looks exactly the same, gameplay wise, as the previous games which is fine I guess...but it doesn't really wow me...plus the graphics look like a noticable step down for some reason

Not sure how I missed this but I just watched the whole video and Im sold. Im not too worried about the lack of Conroy and Hamill anymore and this is back to a Day 1 buy for me. Looks awesome!!

I just can't believe they didn't get Conroy to do Batman - he has done it since 1992!

I'm surprised Rocksteady turned all those assests over to a new developer since Rocksteady is currently developing another Batman game as well...unless RS is using a new game engine

They are still using Unreal tech.

I just can't believe they didn't get Conroy to do Batman - he has done it since 1992!

Yep surprised me too but judging by that game play video, the new guy does a good job. Looks like they're going for a younger, more pissed off Batman so I don't think it'll be a negative. I never thought Conroy did all that great a job especially when he was trying to be all pissed off. Hamill on the other hand did the PERFECT Joker voice. I could live without Conroy but really hate Hamill not doing Joker.

Yep surprised me too but judging by that game play video, the new guy does a good job. Looks like they're going for a younger, more pissed off Batman so I don't think it'll be a negative. I never thought Conroy did all that great a job especially when he was trying to be all pissed off. Hamill on the other hand did the PERFECT Joker voice. I could live without Conroy but really hate Hamill not doing Joker.

I don't think Joker is supposed to be in this game. I could be wrong. I thought Arkham City did an amazing job of giving the character a good send off, though.

I don't think Joker is supposed to be in this game. I could be wrong. I thought Arkham City did an amazing job of giving the character a good send off, though.

Arkham Origins is a prequel to Arkham Asylum and City so the Joker is still alive. The Joker is in this game as well.

Good news, everyone:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/14/batman-arkham-origins-drops-games-for-windows-live-on-pc

GFWL not integrated into Origins. It'll use Steamworks.

HELL-YEAH.jpg

That is the best news Ive heard in a long time!!! I think GAWFL is the worst thing to happen to PC gaming ever. Not only should it die in a fire but whoever created it as well.

maybe this will finally be the end of that garbage. it would be great if it was removed from current games too.

Definitely no doubt! Batman AC takes a good bit to load for some reason both on mine and my wife's rig and there is nothing that makes me want to punch babies more than after sitting there waiting for it to load, go thru a couple title screens then get told that I HAVE to do a GAWFL update before I can play. And you have to restart the game after the update too so you have to sit there and wait for AC to load up AGAIN!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!

I like to bang on EA as much as the next guy but EA aint got nothing on GAWFL as far as the bane of PC gaming goes.

AC takes about 15 seconds to load for me, which is a long time... relatively. I think GFWL is a terrible platform, but has only caused me a few problems over the years. I've honestly had more trouble with uPlay and BSN/Origin.

Ive had zero trouble out of Origin. I was one of those storming the gates with pitchfork and torch in hand when it came out but now after Ive lived with it a while, I think its actually astransparent than Steam even! :eek:

Maybe because the majority of my gaming is Mass Effect and Batman which are Origin titles so Im more used to it than Steam.

I dont know what it is with my copy of AC. I takes a good 30 seconds for it to load on my computer as well as my wife's. I dont get it. Not a deal break since the game is one of the greatest of all time and I never get tired of playing it but it does make me want to scream when I have to restart it after being forced to do a GAWFL update. Ive even had the damn thing make me restart my computer! Granted thats only happened twice over the years but ONCE is too many times.

HELL-YEAH.jpg

That is the best news Ive heard in a long time!!! I think GAWFL is the worst thing to happen to PC gaming ever. Not only should it die in a fire but whoever created it as well.

X2. I can't play the current batman games bc of it. Keeps telling me my password is wrong. It isn't. I reset it, then guess what? Still wrong. Uninstalled the games and moved on but yeah, fuck that crap.

Looks like there is an official thread for this. Bumping so we can all gush.

Anyone jumping in at launch Friday?

Not me.

I'm a big fan of AA and AC, but there are three things holding me back:

1. Different developer

2. Multiplayer vids look like crap

3. Multiplayer included, which makes me think this is a shameless cash grab on the part of WB, which could mean very big loss of quality.

Yes, #3 is heavy on speculation, but when applied to other games and their sequels, it usually holds up.

If the reviews are good, yes. I've eliminated 90% of my backlog and am looking for a new game. If it gets below an 8/10, Path of Exile all weekend long.

I don't see this really being a huge improvement for the series due to being a smaller project sourced to a different developer and as well as technical limitations at this point. Arkham City had rather large improvements over Asylum that I don't see being present in this case. Story wise I felt AC nicely had nice closure for the series for now, no rush to get the next chapter so to speak. So not feeling a real need to rush and play this.

Probably also try to save it until I get access to physx again (switched to a 7950 for now), one of the few games you can expect to actually showcase it.

And also just to try to get matching final editions (have GOTY versions of the first two) just for minor OCD reasons. Wish more companies would sell upgrades.

Story wise I felt AC nicely had nice closure for the series for now, no rush to get the next chapter so to speak. So not feeling a real need to rush and play this.

good point...I think that's another reason why my excitement level for Origins is low...AC had a great (controversial) ending...nowhere to go but back in time...that being said the Batman stories have a goldmine of cool villians they can use so they should always be able to tell a decent story

Anyone know when the Steam preload will kick off? Four days until release and there's still no preload...

Yes, #3 is heavy on speculation, but when applied to other games and their sequels, it usually holds up.

All of your points are heavy on speculation, especially the part about a different developer. A change in developer does not automatically mean lower quality. I'm actually pretty excited about the changes they've shown off, especially having the player actually have to investigate something instead of just pointing their x-ray vision at a spot so the game can tell them what to do next.

All of your points are heavy on speculation, especially the part about a different developer. A change in developer does not automatically mean lower quality.

when Rocksteady set the bar so high yes it is possible to believe that the new developer will not be able to match it...plus it's not like Rocksteady stopped making Batman games and moved on to another ip...they're making a new Batman Silver Age game coming out in 2014 which leads me to believe in that game as the true successor to Arkham Asylum--->Arkham City

Last edited:
I'm still ever hopeful that it's solid story wise. Gameplay wise, I think we have nothing to worry about.

Also for anyone on the fence price wise, Greenmangaming is doing their 25% off with this code: GMG25-GRV7N-YY833

when Rocksteady set the bar so high yes it is possible to believe that the new developer will not be able to match it...plus it's not like Rocksteady stopped making Batman games and moved on to another ip...they're making a new Batman Silver Age game coming out in 2014 which leads me to believe in that game as the true successor to Arkham Asylum--->Arkham City

The Silver Age title is just a rumor. It might very well be true, but so far it's just a rumor.

And our standard shouldn't be a constantly-exceeded series of bars. Envelopes do not have to continually be pushed. Is the game fun on its own merits? It appears that it will be, and it appears to have some new ideas to freshen up what had become somewhat formulaic as Arkham City trudged on.

The biggest thing to look for will be to see if the games no longer feel like a Batman: TAS movie. I like Batman: TAS as much as the next guy, but I'd like a little more depth in my plot.

After watching that 19 or so minute gameplay video that was released for Arkham: Origins, I do feel more excited for the game. I'm hoping having 'case files' and an emphasis on the 'detective' side of Batman will allow for more focus, complexity and structure to the game's side missions.

Still, waiting for reviews to come in before I even think about a purchase, and due to my cheapness probably won't pick up a copy until the first discount.

While I didn't mind the ending to AC, it really did feel like a cliffhanger. I won't get into details (for all the three people out there who don't know the ending), but there were also a lot of side missions which were anti-climatic and had a 'to be continued' vibe to them. So, I'm not really feeling the closure to the series and feel they could have went with a true sequel and not a prequel.

Oh well, hopefully Rocksteady's next superhero game will have a playable Aquaman who can fish slap his foes into submission.

And our standard shouldn't be a constantly-exceeded series of bars. Envelopes do not have to continually be pushed. Is the game fun on its own merits? It appears that it will be, and it appears to have some new ideas to freshen up what had become somewhat formulaic as Arkham City trudged on

watching gameplay videos of Origins I don't get the same sense of Batman lore and mythology...the previous games felt like you were Batman from the comics...this new game feels like a serious of side missions to get from point A to point B with no immersion in the world of Gotham

I hope I'm wrong but that's just my early feel

watching gameplay videos of Origins I don't get the same sense of Batman lore and mythology...the previous games felt like you were Batman from the comics...this new game feels like a serious of side missions to get from point A to point B with no immersion in the world of Gotham

I hope I'm wrong but that's just my early feel

The Arkham series has nothing to do with the comic version of Batman (which version, by the way? There have been three in the last five years alone.) It's a video game version of Batman: TAS. Same writer, Paul Dini. Same voice actors. Same tone (see: same writer). Similar but updated character designs. The Arkham series is completely separated from the comics, and no, it does not delve into the comics' mythology. It's neighbors with the DCAU.

It's interesting that you comment on what an unreleased game feels like. You haven't played it. You have literally no idea what it feels like.

The Arkham series has nothing to do with the comic version of Batman (which version, by the way? There have been three in the last five years alone.) It's a video game version of Batman: TAS. Same writer, Paul Dini. Same voice actors. Same tone (see: same writer). Similar but updated character designs. The Arkham series is completely separated from the comics, and no, it does not delve into the comics' mythology. It's neighbors with the DCAU.

It's interesting that you comment on what an unreleased game feels like. You haven't played it. You have literally no idea what it feels like.

you have no idea what it feels like either yet you still commented on the new game...and my post specifically stated it was based on "gameplay videos"

I meant the comic book world of Batman...not a story continuation...the Batman movies were a real-life take on the character which lost the comic-book feel

Back