Batman: Arkham City won't have Gawful?

I bought Batman AA for my PS3 precisely cause i didn't want to deal with GFWL, I will likely do the same for Arkham City, it's unfortunate really.

I considered doing that, but eyefinity has me spoiled at this point, and I really hate my PS3. :(

I already have a gibberish profile setup on GFWL for other games that required it in the past anyway. The scene may strip GFWL out of it for us as well. I will see how it is a few weeks after launch.

Here's a question - is this going to be on Steam or Origin? If so, are they including any kind of pre-order if they're going to carry it? Best Buy is claiming the ability to use Robin if you pre-order with them. Normally I don't much care for pre-buys, but BB has a good track record (for me) and that sounds worthwhile to me. Anyone know anything about Steam/Origin?

The Nvidia promo they're running (buy GPU, get BAC free) cites a Steam code for activation and download....but there's no mention of BAC in Steam's coming soon list.

Amazon for certain, don't know about Origin.

I pre-ordered AA after playing the demo and loved the game.

Been waiting for PC specs on AC for while now and even went as far to e-mail the company to ask for specs so I could decide about pre-ordering AC, no response and this was about 3 weeks ago. So annoying!

On a side note I remember reading it will still be DX9. Then I was just saddened to read DX9 was released by MS back in Dec 19, 2002!! Whoa...

gfwl works just fine in my experience, and if you really have that big of an issue with it than just download xliveless.
Why bicker if you can fix it.

gfwl works just fine in my experience, and if you really have that big of an issue with it than just download xliveless.
Why bicker if you can fix it.

Why put it in the game if it's utterly worthless and either hated or at least not liked by all gamers?

I pre-ordered AA after playing the demo and loved the game.

Been waiting for PC specs on AC for while now and even went as far to e-mail the company to ask for specs so I could decide about pre-ordering AC, no response and this was about 3 weeks ago. So annoying!

On a side note I remember reading it will still be DX9? Then I was just saddened to read DX9 was released by MS back in Dec 19, 2002!! Whoa...

Read around, DX11 3D Vision ect, ect.

Batman: Arkham City to support DirectX 11, 3D Vision, more..

I've had some problems with GFWL, mostly annoyances that delayed me from playing games for a couple of mins but overall I just dont like the system at all. Requiring both Steam and GFWL is awful.

How to kill your launch on a platform:

1. Spend millions on an advertising campaign that says your game will come out in October
2. Release game in November with little-to-no fanfare, no midnight releases, no giant ad campaign, etc. like on the other platforms
3. [optional] Wonder why it doesn't sell well on that platform.
4. [optional] Blame piracy

Why put it in the game if it's utterly worthless and either hated or at least not liked by all gamers?

not liked by all gamers? I like it, it gives me he opportunity to chat with my xbox live friends when they're on/i'm on.

Fuck Games For Windows Live, it can die in the fires of hell.

I'll probably buy it for my console when the price drops.

I don't mind waiting, but they don't even have the courtesy to give a bullshit excuse.

They need to find new ways to detect AMD GPU hardware IDs, so they can disable AA more effectively...

Oh, well. Since it's delayed, I'm gonna pick it up on the xbox, then. I used to like GFWL, too. Up until I tried to move my savegames from my laptop to my desktop...

1. Spend millions on an advertising campaign that says your game will come out in October
2. Release game in November with little-to-no fanfare, no midnight releases, no giant ad campaign, etc. like on the other platforms

Don't be stupid....

Blaming piracy isn't optional.

I thought about it and to me it is one of two things: either they need more time to finish up the PC version or they want to push the console version of the game.

Well, sounds like a 2 tier launch, and if console sales are better than expected on this title, I'd wager more companies will delay PC launches in the future.

Since Nvidia is paying to "implement" PC features, either they are late (unlikely at this point with their promo's going on), or the PC launch is purposefully delayed (seems more likely).

I'm holding out for the PC version as long as they don't delay it past November. We've hit "game season" so I have other stuff to play. Arkham Asylum was delayed on the PC, too. I think that ended up being a delay of a few months, so I'll hope it's nothing like that.

Well, sounds like a 2 tier launch, and if console sales are better than expected on this title, I'd wager more companies will delay PC launches in the future.

Since Nvidia is paying to "implement" PC features, either they are late (unlikely at this point with their promo's going on), or the PC launch is purposefully delayed (seems more likely).

It's the same bullshit Ubisoft has been doing with Assassin's Creed. They delay it for no obvious reason whatsoever. It's unlikely to be because the PC needs more development time as the game is never groundbreakingly better on the PC when it finally comes out. Nobody wants to buy it by then except for the hardcore PC purists who think 6 months is a worthy tradeoff for playing at a slightly higher resolution and better framerates.

EDIT: It's only a month for this game, so it's not so horrible, but AC is bullshit.

Last edited:
It's the same bullshit Ubisoft has been doing with Assassin's Creed. They delay it for no obvious reason whatsoever. It's unlikely to be because the PC needs more development time as the game is never groundbreakingly better on the PC when it finally comes out. Nobody wants to buy it by then except for the hardcore PC purists who think 6 months is a worthy tradeoff for playing at a slightly higher resolution and better framerates.

EDIT: It's only a month for this game, so it's not so horrible, but AC is bullshit.

To be fair AC2:B was released on the PC with the recent (at the time) DLC included, whereas you had to pay extra for it on the consoles.

For me personally I'm too used to the PC now at this point in my life. Unlike the majority of gamers these days, the controller feels unnatural to me. Even if graphics were the same I'd still prefer PC version because of the input choices.

For the last few years my 360 is just a media player off my PC... counting... nope, haven't bought a game on launch day in over 10 years (a decade!) and with my steam backlog + my recent binge of LOL, I don't see that changing anytime soon...

I'll pick it up in a year or twos time at $5-$7, maybe my backlog will be dented a little by then... doubt it though :D

It's tempting but I'm not sure I can justify the quality drop.

I'm with you. Arkham Asylum looked good on the consoles, but it looked flat out amazing on the PC. My PC's hooked up to my TV and I did a comparison. It's not even close. Not every PC game is like that, but AA is. Especially running at 60FPS and the PhysX turned on.

Playing Gears 3 last night made me sad there weren't PC version of those games. The Unreal Engine scales upward and downward very well.

Nobody wants to buy it by then except for the hardcore PC purists who think 6 months is a worthy tradeoff for playing at a slightly higher resolution and better framerates.
I don't think running a game across 3 to six monitors is "slightly" better resolution.

They never blamed piracy, they let the pirates shame themselves when they couldn't glide in the game and tried to ask online about why glide wouldn't work on thier game..
They made pirated copies fail to work correctly.

What's waiting for a few more weeks anyway :p

I fear this is what they want, to push more people to get the console version.

Because it puts Batman AC in bad spot with the release of Skyrim. I want to play both, badly, but sharing the time and interest between those two is going to be pain in the ass. And RL isnt exactly helping.

To be fair AC2:B was released on the PC with the recent (at the time) DLC included, whereas you had to pay extra for it on the consoles.

For me personally I'm too used to the PC now at this point in my life. Unlike the majority of gamers these days, the controller feels unnatural to me. Even if graphics were the same I'd still prefer PC version because of the input choices.

You know what feels unnatural to me? Playing PC games with a boatload of built in mouse acceleration that cannot be turned off, like in say AC2 and ACB. And by the time Brotherhood was out on the PC, it was cheap enough to buy the console version and all of the DLC for the same price as buying it all packaged together on the PC.

I don't think running a game across 3 to six monitors is "slightly" better resolution.

They never blamed piracy, they let the pirates shame themselves when they couldn't glide in the game and tried to ask online about why glide wouldn't work on thier game..
They made pirated copies fail to work correctly.

You're right, it's worse because that many monitors detracts from gameplay by being far too much real estate to pay attention to, far too expensive to invest in and far too taxing on your video cards (though this is probably not a problem on a UE3 game).

Pirated copies of B:AA only worked incorrectly when they were the prerelease version. Anybody who was asking questions about gameplay issues before the game was released was a monumental retard in the first place.

AC:B looks/runs so much better on the PC that it's ridiculous. And I'd say that REAL 1080P or even 1680x1050 is a little more than 'slightly' better than upscaled 720P.

While this is the game I want the most this year. I'm not too disappointed because BF3 comes out a week later. Now I can spread the play time out a bit.

You know what feels unnatural to me? Playing PC games with a boatload of built in mouse acceleration that cannot be turned off, like in say AC2 and ACB. And by the time Brotherhood was out on the PC, it was cheap enough to buy the console version and all of the DLC for the same price as buying it all packaged together on the PC.

I don't like mouse acceleration either, but actually given the choice of a controller vs. mouse acceleration kb/m I still prefer the latter. I've played AC2 on the PC, and yes I prefer kb/m setup on that to a controller.

Where is the pre-order where you get to change the Batmans skins?

I'm with you. Arkham Asylum looked good on the consoles, but it looked flat out amazing on the PC. My PC's hooked up to my TV and I did a comparison. It's not even close. Not every PC game is like that, but AA is. Especially running at 60FPS and the PhysX turned on.

Playing Gears 3 last night made me sad there weren't PC version of those games. The Unreal Engine scales upward and downward very well.

Gears 1 came to the PC I believe, had even more detail because they kept the high def source art and created higher resolution textures and whatnot for the PC.

Batman did look pretty damn nice, but even if was the same the higher resolution, AA and AF alone (plus the cheaper price) are worth it alone, same goes for the controls for the great majority of games.

I'll probably go PC with it, and pipe it to my projector and try and get my PS3 controllers working on the PC and play it on the sofa on the big screen :D :cool:

I'll probably go PC with it, and pipe it to my projector and try and get my PS3 controllers working on the PC and play it on the sofa on the big screen :D :cool:

This is what Im doing, just wish I had 2 more projectors for surround.

So, any updates on the PC release day for the game short of "November"?
Anyone know if Steam or Origin will be carrying the game?

Back