Batman: Arkham City won't have Gawful?

So, any updates on the PC release day for the game short of "November"?
Anyone know if Steam or Origin will be carrying the game?

The nVidia graphics card deal that gets you a free copy of Arkham City gives you a code that you redeem on Steam. Presumably this means that the game will be available for download from Steam upon release.

The nVidia graphics card deal that gets you a free copy of Arkham City gives you a code that you redeem on Steam. Presumably this means that the game will be available for download from Steam upon release.

I just redeemed a code today to get the Steam key and it said it would be "available for use on or after October 21, 2011". Dunno if that signifies a release date, but just thought I would share that information.

Interesting! October 21st would be great. I just don't want to have to mess with getting a physical copy. My local Target and Best Buy get PC games in, but they're usually late.

I just redeemed a code today to get the Steam key and it said it would be "available for use on or after October 21, 2011". Dunno if that signifies a release date, but just thought I would share that information.

My key already registered on steam. Thats odd.

Its an early review.. They aren't allowed to give it a bad score. I don't think the game will suck or anything. And in fact I bought it. But early reviews = avoid.

True. After the absolute fantastic experience I had playing the first one I pre-ordered this one as soon as could.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/62549/Batman-Arkham-City-The-Reviews-Are-In

IGN 9.5/10
--Batman: Arkham City isn't just better than Batman: Arkham Asylum, it's better than most games on the market.

CVG 9.5/10
--Rocksteady elevated the status of the superhero game with Asylum to a place that commands respect from notoriously hard to please comic book fans.

The Telegraph 5/5
--A wonderful, startlingly complete package tailored for the single player.

Games Radar 10/10
--Batman: Arkham Asylum was the greatest superhero game of all time. The sequel, Batman: Arkham City, is five times bigger and about a billion times better. You do the math.

1UP A
--From its memorable Bourne Identity-esque opening to its shocking ending, Batman: Arkham City secures its place as my favorite superhero game since Freedom Force.

Eurogamer 9/10
--First they gave us a hero; now they've given us his ideal playground.

G4 5/5
--You win, Rocksteady. You beat me. This game is perfect.

Giant Bomb 5/5
-- ...it's hard to imagine any fan of action games coming away from Arkham City disappointed.

GameTrailers 9.3/10
-- Simply put, if you admire painstakingly-realized worlds rich with secrets and game mechanics that never cease to surprise you, then you it to yourself to experience Arkham City.

GameSpot 9/10
-- ...this is an unforgettable adventure that will keep you coming back to the cape and cowl long after you've seen the credits roll.

IncGamers 9/10
-- Don’t think of it as just another superhero game, think of it as one of the best action titles of this generation.

Its a little more than "early reviews.." (however no PC reviews yet).

Its safe to say the game is total success.

the October 21st date was based on the old release date of October 18th...the PC version has been delayed until November 8th

My key already registered on steam. Thats odd.

No, this was just on the page from getting the Steam key from the nVidia code. I haven't registered the Steam key yet because I'm not entirely sure I want to keep it.

Is this correct.....on first playthru, catwoman has a minor role, but upon completing the game, u can restart and use her exclusively....?

Its an early review.. They aren't allowed to give it a bad score. I don't think the game will suck or anything. And in fact I bought it. But early reviews = avoid.

It's not an early review, the embargo was lifted this morning so all major websites have their reviews coming up.

I don't get why they would spend all that money on a huge advertising campaign showing a specific date, then release it on PC a month later with no ad campaign or marketing hoopla. It seems like it would cause lower sales because everyone will have played it on a console or fallen out of the hype sphere and lost interest by then.

I don't get why they would spend all that money on a huge advertising campaign showing a specific date, then release it on PC a month later with no ad campaign or marketing hoopla. It seems like it would cause lower sales because everyone will have played it on a console or fallen out of the hype sphere and lost interest by then.

If you need a reason then you haven't been following the last 6+ years of PC gaming. Console releases come first , PC game releases SOMETIMES get ads otherwise (unless its WoW).

If you need a reason then you haven't been following the last 6+ years of PC gaming. Console releases come first , PC game releases SOMETIMES get ads otherwise (unless its WoW).

I consider it a complement. We, PC gamers need not have products paraded before us as we are well aware of them through our own effort and will and enthusiasm. :D

It's not an early review, the embargo was lifted this morning so all major websites have their reviews coming up.

The game is not out.. Its an early review. You must be new to gaming world. They have to sign contracts and cant give bad reviews. In exchange they get early reviews and more viewers. because idiots still think reviews are the only thing that matters. They aren't the only game company that does it.

So game company gets good reviews = more sales
Game website gets more viewers = more $ from viewers.

Everyone wins cept the consumer who gets a false statement. Not saying the game is good or bad. Just saying that's how it works.

The game is not out.. Its an early review. You must be new to gaming world. They have to sign contracts and cant give bad reviews. In exchange they get early reviews and more viewers. because idiots still think reviews are the only thing that matters. They aren't the only game company that does it.

So game company gets good reviews = more sales
Game website gets more viewers = more $ from viewers.

Everyone wins cept the consumer who gets a false statement. Not saying the game is good or bad. Just saying that's how it works.

Wrong. Embargo over means anybody can release a review of the game. That's why there are already 26 reviews tallied on Metacritic and a slew more available that aren't on Metacritic. Early reviews are given exclusive permission to be published prior to the release of the game/removal of the embargo. That's why you saw just a couple early, positive reviews for worthless trash like Rage. They didn't pay off ~50 different reviewers to give their game good reviews. They didn't go out of their way to make sure that these reviewers all gave positive reviews.

Your condescending tone was unnecessary and, since you were wrong, makes you look like an idiot. As you can clearly see, I've been on this forum for nearly 6 years and gaming for far longer than that.

Oh man. After all the disappointments this year. Do you think we actually have a winner for us PC gamers?

Is it DX11?

Oh man. After all the disappointments this year. Do you think we actually have a winner for us PC gamers?

Is it DX11?

The first one was a winner. This will one be at least equal to that if not even better.

From what I have read so far, the consensus seems to be that the story is lackluster but for all the rest Arkham City is one of the best games to have been released this year.

If I may nitpick -- after watching gameplay footage on Youtube, the one thing I'm not fond of is Batman's combat animations; the acrobatics and the way he seems to fly across the screen from one enemy to another is awkward (for a lack of a better term). It would have been nice to see Rocksteady go for a style verging on Christopher Nolan's portrayal of The Dark Night, not to mention it would differentiate him more from Catwoman and Robin's choreographies.

Last edited:
The first one was a winner. This will one be at least equal to that if not even better.

I wasn't talking about the first batman. I was talking about all the major other failure PC games that had so much promise earlier this year.

Wow, this looks like the graphics will be insane with DX11.

I'd love to have this for PC, but I refuse to buy an Nvidia card to use PhysX. Fucking stupid that they would add a feature that only works with one company's cards.

PhysX didn't add much in the first game. It made it prettier (especially the Scarecrow battles) but not enough to justify an add-in card...unless you happen to see a cheap-o last-gen Nvidia card on cragslist.
GTS250's can be had for $79 brand new, so a used one might only be $30 or so.
With a little tinkering I'm pretty sure you can still use PhysX cards with an ATI main card, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah the PhysX stuff doesn't really add a whole to the experience... unless you love watching paper fly around.

I only had to watch about a minute of the video posted above to know I'm buying this game. Can't wait!

PhysX is bonus. Don't let that make or break a decision for the PC version. The PC version will be well worth everyone's while no matter what. :)

PhysX is bonus.

No.

It's the opposite of a bonus if you're not an Nvidia user, if you're using AMD and PhysX has to run on the CPU then you actually have less features and less performance than if the game used a traditional physics engine designed for the CPU.

Yeah the PhysX stuff doesn't really add a whole to the experience... unless you love watching paper fly around.

paper flying around, tiles on the wall and floor break apart more realistically and smoke/fog effects...those were the only improvements I saw in the first game with PhysX enabled...the smoke/fog was the most impressive

paper flying around, tiles on the wall and floor break apart more realistically and smoke/fog effects...those were the only improvements I saw in the first game with PhysX enabled...the smoke/fog was the most impressive

The cape looked pretty cool too. Still it didn't really add that much to the game. I've played both with and without PhysX effects in AA and it never really mattered a lot. It's a neat addition, but I highly doubt it's anything for AMD users to be annoyed about. I only care about the game quality and not the little bonuses.

No.

It's the opposite of a bonus if you're not an Nvidia user, if you're using AMD and PhysX has to run on the CPU then you actually have less features and less performance than if the game used a traditional physics engine designed for the CPU.

If you wanted flying paper you should have bought nvidia then. No unrealistic flying paper for you.

The cape looked pretty cool too. Still it didn't really add that much to the game. I've played both with and without PhysX effects in AA and it never really mattered a lot. It's a neat addition, but I highly doubt it's anything for AMD users to be annoyed about. I only care about the game quality and not the little bonuses.

yes the cape did look really good as well with PhysX...the way it fluttered in the air realistically when he would fly around was well done...also the flags in the game would move better

but you're right in that most people will not even notice and it doesn't effect gameplay at all...it's pretty much a tech demo for PhysX

yes the cape did look really good as well with PhysX...the way it fluttered in the air realistically when he would fly around was well done...also the flags in the game would move better

but you're right in that most people will not even notice and it doesn't effect gameplay at all...it's pretty much a tech demo for PhysX

Yeah. Honestly I thought Mafia 2 did a better job of showcasing what PhysX can do anyway. With how things could get damaged nearly dynamically. Still even that didn't add anything that is a must have to the game.

I haven't been keeping up.
Are we ATI users going to get screwed over by Nvidia the same way as we did with AA? The flowing capes/flags, flying papers, smoke, etc, from PhysX.

I haven't been keeping up.
Are we ATI users going to get screwed over by Nvidia the same way as we did with AA? The flowing capes/flags, flying papers, smoke, etc, from PhysX.

How is it getting screwed? ZOMG we're not getting silly little visual flares that in no way affect the game. If little bullshit like that concerns you so much get a Nvidia card.

Back