Batman Arkham Asylum, SLI or dedicate 2nd card to Physx?

AARGH!

Gawd
Curious to see those of us with multiple Nvidia cards on if you are choosing SLI or dedicating card to Physx? I have two GTX 260's and figured would see what everyone else seems to think or what works/looks best?

Still waiting on Steam to finish DL'ing it and then I can try it out on my 295 Quad-SLI to see how gorgeous it is. :)

My laptop handled the demo pretty decently with it's GTX 260m but I had to turn down the eye candy a bit at 1920x1080 mainly because of PhysX I believe, so 1 dedicated card to physx may net you better results if your physx card wasn't so powerful.

Batman Benchmark (system specs in sig)
SLI
Physx enabled
1920x1200
No Multisampling
Physx Maxed
Rest of settings maxed
Result: 23fps Low 45fps Avg 61fps High (max refresh for monitor)
Above settings but 2x MS AA
Result: 18fps Low 43fps Avg 61fps High

When I have more time (as I want to play some more) I will switch to 1 GPU and 1 PPU and see what results are.

its recommended if putting physx on high to have a dedicated 9800gtx+ or higher.

On a somewhat unrelated note (didn't want to start a whole new thread for this)-- but I just picked up the game last night and I noticed how much smoother it all ran than the demo. Anyone else notice this?

I've set-up my old 8800GT as a PhysX card and the performance increase is big.

Now I can run 1680 x 1050 8x AA and all other settings maxed, including High PhysX with the following score.

image1jm.jpg

The game feels much smoother and I can now use high PhysX, before I was using medium and it was a chug fest. Break out that old card it's worth it.

Last edited:
I haven't had time to do any more testing as my son and daughter have been playing on my account (until it shows up from Gamefly today for the 360) and then I can try some more testing and use my other card for Physx.

Selected PhysX card here

31045230.jpg

And tinkered with the settings a little, settled on these settings

26671413.jpg

Benchmark is

79971173.jpg

Last edited:
Okay had some time tonight and ran benchmarks with 1 card dedicated to Physx:

Same settings as before except No V-Sync
2xAA
23min 93max 61avg
4xAA
28min 84max 60avg
8xAA
29 min 81 max 58avg
8xQ
21min 74max 49avg
16x
28min 79max 57avg
16xQ
13min 67max 45avg

So looks like 4x or 8x will be the best bets and as a longshot 16x, for my ones to try out tomorrow and see what's really playable.

Batman Benchmark (system specs in sig)
SLI
Physx enabled
1920x1200
No Multisampling
Physx Maxed
Rest of settings maxed
Result: 23fps Low 45fps Avg 61fps High (max refresh for monitor)
Above settings but 2x MS AA
Result: 18fps Low 43fps Avg 61fps High

When I have more time (as I want to play some more) I will switch to 1 GPU and 1 PPU and see what results are.

Tried bumping the AA up to 16x and it's still smooth

Min - 30
Max - 158
Av - 63

Without a PhysX card (hard to play as stuttery)

Min - 22
Max - 59
Av - 41

Pretty impressive increase with a dedicated PhysX card by taking the load off the main GPU

Last edited:
Batman just cripple my system:(

batman1.jpg
ShippingPC-BmGame2009-09-1816-04-10.jpg

You are not reading the information in this thread. Disable SLI, force one GPU to do dedicated PhysX. There is a ChrisRay article a few posts up I linked that shows dedicated Physx > SLI in Batman.

Can you dedicate a card to PhysX if you have two of the same cards?

I am using two 8800GTs in a SLI config and playing Batman: AA.

I think Mike211 wanted to use SLI for 2 GTX280, and Physx for 1 GTX280?

ATITek: yes, you can. Disable SLI, and select one of the two cards for physx.

I think Mike211 wanted to use SLI for 2 GTX280, and Physx for 1 GTX280?

ATITek: yes, you can. Disable SLI, and select one of the two cards for physx.

In nVidia Control Panel I do not have any an option to select one of the two cards to be dedicated to PhysX. I can only enable and disable PhysX.

Does it automatically select the second card as they are both the same?

Tried bumping the AA up to 16x and it's still smooth

Min - 30
Max - 158
Av - 63

Without a PhysX card (hard to play as stuttery)

Min - 22
Max - 59
Av - 41

Pretty impressive increase with a dedicated PhysX card by taking the load off the main GPU

Yea sure unless your like me and believe the CPU can handle the calculations without PhysX if it was coded to do so, lets face it the average medium to high end quad core has plenty of head room in most games if the code is multi threaded.

PhysX is a gimmic that helps both Nvidia and some game developers sales not to mention any possible back handers from Nvidia.

But hey people are clearly buying into this, so its great marketing at the worst.

Back