Baldur's Gate and Badur's Gate II Enhanced Edition officially just announced

268 of us in the forum have the pre-order badge as of right now. I wonder how many people pre-ordered that do not have forum accounts? This number seems very low.

I'm a bit impressed with the ipad thing. I gave my iPad gen 1 to my mom about a year ago and haven't really had much desire to get another tablet, but this looks very promising. It's about time they start having more full sized games on tablets.

Are there any hi-res screen shots available? Am very interested to see what has been updated...

Are the character models updated as well? More animations? Will Minsc be bald? All equipments are unique and shown?

How is the UI handled? Scalable?

Scales perfectly fine for me at 2560x1600.

I still feel they are charging for mods. Some have tried that before ( improved anvil ), and failed utterly.

I wasn't content with the scaling methods that were used with any of the mods I used a while ago (within a year).

Agreed on both sentiments.

Why do companies go out of their way to make the pirated version the superior version?
Are you trolling on purpose, ignorant, or just stupid? The pirated version will not have the ability to auto-update itself. With the bought version, you buy it and log in once to activate it, then you will be able to automatically scan and install updates. The pirated version will not have the one time activation but you will need to manually install updates.

So how again is the pirated version going to be better?

What game CAN you play these days without hooking up to the internet at least once? At the very least you usually need to download a patch or some bug fixes...Seriously make a list of PC games released recently that don't need an internet connection even once...

Not much. There's a reason I buy almost zero PC games any more. I'm still playing Civ IV, Baldur's Gate II, and games from GOG. At least with console games I can sell them when I get bored. A PC game these days is a DRM-infested $60 mistake waiting to happen.

I'll deal with DRM'd crap but only in the lowest of price ranges ($5-$10) where I'm basically throwing away money on a rental. Because that's what buying a remote-server-DRM game is...a rental of undetermined length.

There's no way I'm paying $60 or even $20 for something that might or might not work a couple of years down the road without me having to download cracks from some dubious website.

So how again is the pirated version going to be better?

5 years from now when the remote server is gone because Beamdog went out of business, or it doesn't want to activate on Windows 9, or you don't have your Beamdog login credentials or whatever, it'll still work.

Or if I want to install it on a laptop when I'm camping or at a hotel with crappy wi-fi or an airplane, it'll work. Or when Beamdog's servers go down due to traffic or system problems or whatever, it'll work too.

DRMing a re-release of an old game like this is just fricking stupid.

Last edited:
I just installed my 4-in-1 and loaded up EasyTuTu. The people who made the mod must of adjusted the difficulty because there is no way BG1 was this hard. Just on the way to the FAI there were multiple diseased gibbering packs that spawned and you only have 2 people in your group. Even if I were to run away, when you get to the FAI, the mage that stands on the deck and attacks you is high enough to case 3 magic missiles. That's instant death at level 1 or 2.

I just installed my 4-in-1 and loaded up EasyTuTu. The people who made the mod must of adjusted the difficulty because there is no way BG1 was this hard. Just on the way to the FAI there were multiple diseased gibbering packs that spawned and you only have 2 people in your group. Even if I were to run away, when you get to the FAI, the mage that stands on the deck and attacks you is high enough to case 3 magic missiles. That's instant death at level 1 or 2.

sounds wonderful :D

Probably going to get this. I want to play a true RPG for once.

Switched to BGT and the encounters are fixed (only 1 or 2 enemy) like in the original BG. However, random encounters between area's are not fixed. From the zone below the FAI to the FAI, I encountered a pack of bandits and half-giants. That's not level 1 content.

I'll end up buying it for my iPad after release. After the debacle that was FF Tactics on the iPad, I'm going to wait on at least a few reviews/some community ratings on it before I drop $20 on an app.

I'll end up buying it for my iPad after release. After the debacle that was FF Tactics on the iPad, I'm going to wait on at least a few reviews/some community ratings on it before I drop $20 on an app.
It's only going to be $10 on the iPad ($20 if you want all the DLC).

I would purchase the game just to support the development of BG3, although I will definitely enjoy replaying it again :)

Much as I would like to see an enhanced edition of PS:T, I'd rather have BG3 first. DA:O did not feel like a spiritual successor at all, although it was a good game in many respects.
I've already sunk far too many hours into BG2 (I had a run through just a few years back) to be bothered about the remake of that....even though I know I will bite :D. Pacing and combat were great, as was the story (unless you compared it to PS:T ;)). Irenicus remains my favorite villain, although the final showdown would have benefited from being a little harder. Sure you could make encounters easier using the knowlege of how they "kick off" and set traps etc, but I always felt that was a form of cheating (characters can't see into the future). I guess that's why some things were scripted to avoid the issue (although you could still use sequencers/triggers to wreak havoc with a mage), and in general I felt they did dragons justice (Skyrims are puny turds in comparison). It was also immensely satisfying to be able to kill Wulfgar, the twat :p

There's a certain something about the Black Isle games that really appeals to me in a way modern RPG's, even the very good ones, fail to. If Beamdog do a good job there are other worlds to explore without the need to create one from scratch (Spelljammer and Dark Sun spring to mind as they are less 'familiar' fantasy settings, but Ravenloft would work equally well) and prove they can do more than just re-engineer classics. I'm excited to think there may be some more great "old-school" RPGs coming (Eschalon didn't do it for me, although Avadon:TBF was reasonably satisfying). Art direction is more important than graphics technology, and gameplay/story are far more important still. For me, BG2 and PS:T are head and shoulders above any RPG released in the last ten years - if Beamdog can come up with something original that is even half as good I will be all over it like a rash.

I'm surprised they havent started a kick starter for Baldur's Gate 3. I can't imagine any other title receiving more financial support from the PC gaming community.

He also said they they are "Contractually we are limited to selling only through certain stores". If his intention was to only sell it through BD, there wouldn't be other stores in the contracts.He will not answer the question of which stores they can sell it in.

I don't blame him, he's going to make the most money selling it through his own store. Then once the hype dies down they can put it up on Steam to give another boost to sales albeit at a much lower profit margin.

Looking at the screenshots, errr no thanks.

I admit there is a definite softness to them, nor did they pick very good examples. They have not done a huge overhaul on the graphics front - this is more about compatibility than turning it into a visual feast, but the flip side of that is that it requires very little in terms of hardware. The game itself more than compensates for any graphical shortcomings you may feel it has - any RPG fan who hasn't played it is missing out on something rather special if they can't get over the dated graphics tech.

I admit there is a definite softness to them, nor did they pick very good examples.

they probably look soft because they are rather tiny in their correct resolution and they are compressed when they are put on the web.

From their website:

I would like to know what they are. It's also not a very big number...

It's a big enough number if you're considering that they're trying to stay true to the core of the game.

It's a big enough number if you're considering that they're trying to stay true to the core of the game.

Since it doesn't say what they improved, they could of just "improved" 390 encounters and only did real improvements on a couple aspects of the game.

It's not really that big if you consider the vastness of the game. We are talking an 80 hour game easy. Also the original BG also had ALOT of wilderness areas to explore, so really, that number does seem small.

Since it doesn't say what they improved, they could of just "improved" 390 encounters and only did real improvements on a couple aspects of the game.

In BGII the holy avenger sword is supposed to use a D10 for it's damage, but was accidentally assigned a D8. That was never addressed by an official patch, but it was easy for fans to modify the item tables and fix - and the popular fan patches do.

I saw a forum post on their site that seemed to indicate they took a list at the popular fan-made patches and applied lots of these sorts of things.

Please no nerd-rage if I accidentally used the wrong dice values in my example. :)

In BGII the holy avenger sword is supposed to use a D10 for it's damage, but was accidentally assigned a D8. That was never addressed by an official patch, but it was easy for fans to modify the item tables and fix - and the popular fan patches do.

I saw a forum post on their site that seemed to indicate they took a list at the popular fan-made patches and applied lots of these sorts of things.

Please no nerd-rage if I accidentally used the wrong dice values in my example. :)

That's what I figure most of the fixes are - bugs like this that were fixed in a couple of the fixpacks over the years by the fans / ex-developers.

BG:EE Podcast with Trent

http://www.racketboy.com/podcast/racketboy-podcast-42-trent-oster

Best Q & A from it:

When asked about doing BG3, Trent said that they would build a new technology but retain the top down view, locked camera, 6 party members that BG has. He said he doesn't understand why other companies are not going after that segment and that he would like Beamdog to become the company that makes those types of RPG's.

He later continues that with NWN they lost a lot of what they thought was great about these games with going single character. He says that BG3 would be the best of NWN with the group stuff and gameplay style of BG.

Last edited:
BG:EE Podcast with Trent

http://www.racketboy.com/podcast/racketboy-podcast-42-trent-oster

Best Q & A from it:

When asked about doing BG3, Trent said that they would build a new technology but retain the top down view, locked camera, 6 party members that BG has. He said he doesn't understand why other companies are not going after that segment and that he would like Beamdog to become the company that makes those types of RPG's.

He later continues that with NWN they lost a lot of what they thought was great about these games with going single character. He says that BG3 would be the best of NWN with the group stuff and gameplay style of BG.

I think they are full of it. A tablet/phone port is understandable and charging for it. Modding the game (PC) and charging for it, is sort of meh. Others have tried and failed miserably in the BG community. These guys just advertised their "mod" more and spread the news heavily across the web. I actually find it quite amusing, people are paying for this mod, and are getting back into BG after 13 years, when there have been countless free mods ever since the games were initially released.

I actually already paid for a BG2 mod 30$, but that at least gave me over 500 hours of play time and had pretty good replay value. Even then, the majority players did not dish out 30$ when the mod stopped being free to play.

I said this previously, but I'd buy the tablet version for a few quids if I owned a tablet. It would be pretty cool to play it on the go.

I feel the BG3 hype is, well just a hype attract sales for this current release. No big studio will ever do a d&d rule game as we knew them. Even back then, many players were clueless and turned off by the D&D rules and turn based CRPG's. I can imagine the percentage to be much higher nowadays.

Also a game world as vast as the BG2 one, could be made in 5-7 games ( sequels ) in todays age. I mean The Witcher 2 is probably the equivalent of two Athkatla districts and the forest of Tethyr :)

So even if a D&D BG3 gets released, without a proper engine it will flop ( at least in my book ). If it is at least a bit successful, expect to pay 100-300$ for the complete experience.

I think they are full of it. A tablet/phone port is understandable and charging for it. Modding the game (PC) and charging for it, is sort of meh. Others have tried and failed miserably in the BG community. These guys just advertised their "mod" more and spread the news heavily across the web. I actually find it quite amusing, people are paying for this mod, and are getting back into BG after 13 years, when there have been countless free mods ever since the games were initially released.

I actually already paid for a BG2 mod 30$, but that at least gave me over 500 hours of play time and had pretty good replay value. Even then, the majority players did not dish out 30$ when the mod stopped being free to play.

I said this previously, but I'd buy the tablet version for a few quids if I owned a tablet. It would be pretty cool to play it on the go.

I feel the BG3 hype is, well just a hype attract sales for this current release. No big studio will ever do a d&d rule game as we knew them. Even back then, many players were clueless and turned off by the D&D rules and turn based CRPG's. I can imagine the percentage to be much higher nowadays.

Also a game world as vast as the BG2 one, could be made in 5-7 games ( sequels ) in todays age. I mean The Witcher 2 is probably the equivalent of two Athkatla districts and the forest of Tethyr :)

So even if a D&D BG3 gets released, without a proper engine it will flop ( at least in my book ). If it is at least a bit successful, expect to pay 100-300$ for the complete experience.
While I understand your pessimism, I don't agree with it.

What Beamdog is doing for me is collecting all of the fixes and mods that work and putting them together in one uniform package. This package becomes a totally new platform, for which I believe a whole new range of BG modding will stem from. The UI rewrite is a huge step forward for modders everywhere and will lead to modders being able to go places they couldn't go before.

On top of that, even though BGT and Tutu work OK, there are still issues. I for one don't like playing BG1 and seeing tips from BG2, random encounters from BG2, my BG 1 game under BG2 banner and a whole other range of issues that still plague the "free" mods, which they will never be able to fix. Oh yeah, and to even get all of this, you have to download a mod to convert it, a mod to fix bugs A-M and another to fix bugs N-Z, then a mod to change paper dolls, a mod for this a mod for that and so forth.

Then throw in 3 new characters with their own 4-6 hour side-quest along with a bevy of other feature enhancements and fixes, I think that $20 is a fair price to pay, also considering that the game is rebuilt to run on modern operating systems moving forward.

cant surpass the ultima black gate series ....that was really deep roleplaying calling your wits and boy it was filled with content that would make some of the past 90 's born chew their kneecaps.
Now everything gets spoonfed in one way or the other but Black Gate was mercyless

cant surpass the ultima black gate series ....that was really deep roleplaying calling your wits and boy it was filled with content that would make some of the past 90 's born chew their kneecaps.
Now everything gets spoonfed in one way or the other but Black Gate was mercyless

There were a ton of shitty design choices in EVERY Ultima game, 7 is no exception. That doesn't mean it wasn't a decent game.

I'm not entirely sure what it has to do with BG1, but there you go.

There were a ton of shitty design choices in EVERY Ultima game, 7 is no exception. That doesn't mean it wasn't a decent game.

I'm not entirely sure what it has to do with BG1, but there you go.
waht im trying to say is this :
Ultima 7 surpasses BG in every point
why do i feel to point this out ? Origin were the godfathers back then for rpg , and Bethesda was there too with arena ...there wasnt no BW around.Ppl should play those games no matter how fugly the graphics are on todays terms. They get a glimpse of real awesome storytelling lasting gameplay challenging puzzles secret doors , eating drinking , crazy hard ass combats

We had interplay instead...... who was involved with Badlur's Gate. I'm failing to see your point.

why do i feel to point this out ? Origin were the godfathers back then for rpg , and Bethesda was there too with arena ...there wasnt no BW around.Ppl should play those games no matter how fugly the graphics are on todays terms. They get a glimpse of real awesome storytelling lasting gameplay challenging puzzles secret doors , eating drinking , crazy hard ass combats

Ultima was definitely important to the genre.

You're right...where you're wrong that Ultima 7 is the better game. Just because you broke the ground doesn't make you the best. Pretty much the 'best' of everything combines parts from its predecessors to make a superior product.

Back