Baldur's Gate and Badur's Gate II Enhanced Edition officially just announced

I like the idea of DLC, but it seems a little needless with BG2 coming. It makes more sense to add it to that one, IMO. That said, I'll still likely buy it.

I don't know what took so long for this game to come out. It's crazy! I've been waiting for ages.

The BG1 expansion pack was essentially a large DLC. It was a complete side-story that added nothing to the story of the main campaign and did some other nice things like add new items and raise the experience cap.

As long as DLC has a good value/money ratio I'm okay with it, but most DLC being offered today adds very little for how much it costs.

i remember i got to the final boss of the first game and never could beat it. i tried to get into the 2nd game and couldn't quite. it'll be nice to get another chance at both

I'm still waiting for announcments on the DRM. A game like this is a game I go back to every few years. If they encumber it with some nasty remote-server DRM I'll pass and stick with my normal version.

I'm still waiting for announcments on the DRM. A game like this is a game I go back to every few years. If they encumber it with some nasty remote-server DRM I'll pass and stick with my normal version.

think positive thoughts...

in an era when games have become stale, repetitive (yeah ironic in a thread devoted to a 'refresh' of a +10 year old game), poor knock-offs & heavily gimped/fuck-tarded consolised diarrhoea, this is one game i'd like to be just a 'little bit' excited about and not disappointed.

personally i've only played thru BGII 2 or 3 times but the lasting impression has been longer than any other game i've experienced. if BGII EE does well, hope it reignites the genre ('BGIII', 'Planescape: Torment' remake etc).

if BGII EE does well, hope it reignites the genre ('BGIII', 'Planescape: Torment' remake etc).

I, too, hope if reignites the genre, but I really don't want anyone to remake Torment.

Obviously they are going to provided this does well... and they damned well better get the original voice actors.

Last edited:
I've never played BG or BG2, was too into Quake/CS in that era, so I will be buying this and enjoying it for the first time :)

Getting both PC and iPad versions :) For $20 on PC it will be a blast.

And I hope they will bring BG2 fast too.... so I can celebrate its launch with a turnip :)

fuck it, i never prepurchase games but for BG:EE, i'll make an exception...

bgiiee.png

Last edited:
I almost never pre order games either (unless there's some huge bonus) but the price cut plus my undying need for BG3 means that I will do whatever it takes to get this company money right now.

I just bought it!
They've already announced DRM. You either buy through the Beamdog client, which is the DRM, or you buy the stand alone version updater which verifies you own the game (with I believe a one time online activation to your beamdog account). After the verification you can play it offline indefinitely.

Last edited:
Pretty cool. I'm guessing this won't be on Steam or other retail outlets?

I'll buy it for sure, whatever it takes to get more of this.

Does this mean I can buy the PC version for $20, the iPad for $10, and not buy the iPad DLC and still be fully featured?...
If you buy the PC version you will have all DLC. If you create a game and save it, then transfer that game to the iPad, you will pick up where you left off even if that means you have DLC character or are in a DLC area. I just don't think you'll be able to travel to DLC area's on the iPad if you don't own them.

Personally, I don't see myself going through the new content until after I beat the original content. As much as I trust Beamdog, I don't like the idea of them touching the original content. I wish they would of stuck to adding an additional expansion or something rather than adding content into the original game.

Trent posted a little more info on DRM today. He said that if you copy the game from one of your computers to another computer that the game will prompt you to reactivate once online to install on the new PC. You will only have to connect to the Internet one time to activate the game, which for 99% of people is going to be the day you download it.

So basically unless you plan to copy the game over to a computer which never see's the Internet, the one time DRM will be completely transparent to you.

I jumped on to the pre-order since I feel this one is too good pass up. I'll be playing it as soon as I have time at the release. :)

Trent posted a little more info on DRM today. He said that if you copy the game from one of your computers to another computer that the game will prompt you to reactivate once online to install on the new PC. You will only have to connect to the Internet one time to activate the game, which for 99% of people is going to be the day you download it.

So basically unless you plan to copy the game over to a computer which never see's the Internet, the one time DRM will be completely transparent to you.

What happens in 2 or 5 or 10 years when the remote server is gone and you go to install and play it and Beamdog is long gone? What happens when you go to install it on a fresh install of Windows and Beamdog's servers are down?

Sounds like I'll be passing. Too bad, this is my favorite PC game ever. Maybe I'll pick it up when they drop the DRM.

Last edited:
What happens in 2 or 5 or 10 years when the remote server is gone and you go to install and play it and Beamdog is long gone? What happens when you go to install it on a fresh install of Windows and Beamdog's servers are down?

Sounds like I'll be passing. Too bad, this is my favorite PC game ever. Maybe I'll pick it up when they drop the DRM.
How does what you say not apply to any online service? Anyways, we both know the situation you described is highly unlikely to happen (reinstall game on the exact day and moment that their servers are down). As for your comment about in the future, there is no guarantee with any DD service, including Steam. Games can be pulled at a moments notice.

Wake me up when it's a new engine and new game.

There are plenty of free mods out there, or free total conversions.

I disagree to a degree. HD+ resolutions & UI scalability are what I'm excited about. Any of the widescreen mods don't work very well for me & I've attempted to use all of the variations available. Since I never got around to playing Baldur's Gate fully before my hardware outclassed the Infinity Engine's capabilities, this is a pleasant wish come true.

yes and no. The work to get it working is right is retarded. I will gladly pay the 17.99 to have an out of the box High Res working redux of the game. Call me a sucker, but just having it properly play in HD resolution w/o patching and tweaking etc etc is worth it for me. Especially having the cross platform MP. I'll prolly end up buying it on my android/ipad and pc tbh.

I think you're right. I think if I want the full experience I'll have to buy everything.

So the question is do I want to pay $40 per title for PC + iPad or just $20 and stick to iPad only...I know they will be releasing BG2EE and possibly others in the future. I just know I'll be playing the majority of the time on iPad. PC would be a nice bonus feature and I wouldn't mind paying a little more just to support the developer, but I'm not sure about double.

I wish they had a bundle deal for PC + iPad for $30

if you pre-purchase both, isn't it under $36. Not a huge difference between 40 bucks for full versions on pc/ios after release date.

Screenshots are a bit blurry, and I don't really care for what they did to the background artwork.

I disagree to a degree. HD+ resolutions & UI scalability are what I'm excited about. Any of the widescreen mods don't work very well for me & I've attempted to use all of the variations available. Since I never got around to playing Baldur's Gate fully before my hardware outclassed the Infinity Engine's capabilities, this is a pleasant wish come true.

Scales perfectly fine for me at 2560x1600.

I still feel they are charging for mods. Some have tried that before ( improved anvil ), and failed utterly.

yes and no. The work to get it working is right is retarded. I will gladly pay the 17.99 to have an out of the box High Res working redux of the game. Call me a sucker, but just having it properly play in HD resolution w/o patching and tweaking etc etc is worth it for me. Especially having the cross platform MP. I'll prolly end up buying it on my android/ipad and pc tbh.

I can see how they would charger for an iOS or Android port, seems normal to charge for that. I'd probably buy it, if I had a tablet. Fortunately I don't have one :)

Back