Bad VR weekend

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
VR is a fiasco. What a waste of energy and time.I spent the better part of my weekend getting SteamVR to work on My I5 w 1070 card. Nowhere did I see steam show the windows mixed reality app that HAD to be installed. Google was where I found that out. Now I have to deal with the Stupid Cliff house crap. WTF isn't Steam vr allowed to run without the Cliffhouse being in he damn way? I own a PSVR and the new Oculus GO they both have their limitation, but they work perfect out of the box. Why does windows have be over complicated on EVEYTHING.? Now the weird thing is that both my HP Ryzen laptop and my Asus 1060 Laptop don't let the cliffhouse even show when yoru click on a steam VR app and the Steam VR works fine.. This is what turns people off to technology.......

I don't have any experience with the WMR headsets - is the Cliff House you're referring to something Windows Mixed Reality specific?

IMO all three of the players are getting silly with this crap. Just give me my library and unload the assets once I jump into game or a different library. Just let me at my damned games. Enough with this fluff, why do I need a customizable house with trophies and mini games. Why the fuck do I need two?

Who knows, maybe one of these days those WMR headsets will be detected as straight SteamVR compatible and you won't need the MS portal at all.

Was Cliff aware that you were in his house?

Reactions: DF-1
like this
VR is a fiasco. What a waste of energy and time.I spent the better part of my weekend getting SteamVR to work on My I5 w 1070 card. Nowhere did I see steam show the windows mixed reality app that HAD to be installed. Google was where I found that out. Now I have to deal with the Stupid Cliff house crap. WTF isn't Steam vr allowed to run without the Cliffhouse being in he damn way? I own a PSVR and the new Oculus GO they both have their limitation, but they work perfect out of the box. Why does windows have be over complicated on EVEYTHING.? Now the weird thing is that both my HP Ryzen laptop and my Asus 1060 Laptop don't let the cliffhouse even show when yoru click on a steam VR app and the Steam VR works fine.. This is what turns people off to technology.......

Is the problem that the system is trying to render both Microsoft's VR home screen thing AND the game you're trying to play? As in, it forces the VR home screen thing to run in the background while games are running?

That just sounds like a shitty implementation on MS's part. Oculus' home screen for the Rift, at least apparently, goes away when you start up a game. As far as I can tell, so does the SteamVR one.

I honestly don't mind the house metaphor for the home screen, since at least in Oculus' case, you only look at it for like 10 seconds while the game you selected on the monitor loads.

I have a WindowsMR headset and it couldn't have been easier. Plugged it in, windows prompted to install the WindowsMR software. Loaded that and it put me in the Cliff House. Loaded Steam, downloaded the WindowsMR for Steam beta and voila, worked. It was easier than getting Oculus working as there is no sensor setup needed. I didn't even have to do any setup in Steam, it just worked.

Cliff house goes away as soon as you launch anything else, at least it does on my system.

It does on my VR laptops this is a desktop. I just got tired of messing with it. Decided to take a break. At least I got steamvr to work. Tomorrow i'll try again got to be some configuration thing..

Be happy - VR/Mixed Reality is coming to SharePoint!

upload_2018-5-21_16-5-52.png

SharePoint Spaces will allow SharePoint users to create and consume mixed-reality 3D "spaces," such as the one in the image embedded in this post above, where they can visualize and interact with data and product models. Microsoft unveiled the new technology on May 21 during the SharePoint Conference North America opening keynote.

To view/manipulate a mixed reality SharePoint Space, users can -- but don't need to -- use a HoloLens augmented reality or other type of Windows Mixed Reality headset. Microsoft is designing SharePoint Spaces to work in a browser without a headset, as well.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/micro...support-to-sharepoint-with-sharepoint-spaces/

Back