bad admin...nay "badmin"

rehab

Gawd
Error makes us human; if we didnt f-up, we would look like demi-gods. let this be a lighthearted thread NOT about the great things you do and work with, but the bad things you have done. maybe you have allocated some company storage for personal use, or maybe you spoke to a user with unnecessary tech jargon just to get them off your back...or maybe you just skipped out on work to take advantage of some much needed couch vpn work...i want to know about it. *Purists stay away* and dont spout off with some crap like "IT is serious, im not impressed!", because maybe it is, but life isnt. you dont have to be proud of it, just post it. i mean, the interweb is great for being incognito.
***I will personally deposit 10 bones into the paypal account of the individual with the most "no you di'ent" post.*** Not much...but enough to buy yourself a motivational book of off amazon...or some cheap wine.
SO HERES TO YOU SLACKER! You make the world fun!
-no theft stories please- thats just gay.

I will start. Last night i went to a happy hour with my wife and her coworkers that ended up going to 1 am. NO BUENO. So what did i do? Thats right, i disabled some non-essential printers in a far away place so a ticket would be placed through helpdesk and I could drive there and get coffee, relax, and listen to some groove salad. Yea, i said it; ashamed, maybe... hangover..not as bad ;)

I'll stand up and make a mention of something I am not overly proud of now, but at the time it was great. I worked with a company a few years back as a QA tester.

Side note, let me mention up front this company lived and died on meetings. I am certain they found a way to convert meetings to some sort of energy for the company. There would be weeks of me just in meetings ALL DAMN DAY. Having meetings to plan meetings was not a shocking experience.

Everything we did rolled in a fairly regular cycle of hella busy for four weeks (with a week before/after ramping up or down) then a month or so of dead time with nothing to test, and then repeat. Most folks were scheduling vacation around the dead periods, other folks wandered off, and so forth. I was at a loss on what to do, and I was instructed, with a wave of the hand, go learn another part of the system to cross train in case we need back up (read: abuse so they didn’t have to hire another person).

To cut a long story short of abuse from other team managers, department folks, and what not I got fed up. While outside smoking I noticed a pine tree line that ran along the building to a back parking lot. On a whim I scheduled "important meetings" that were back to back. Using the trees for cover, I dashed towards my car , and speeding off to the local arcade. I didn't believe it would work so efficiently as it did, but after the burn out hell I was operating in it was bliss. I started to vary meetings, content, and so forth. I also included a few buddies from other departments on the far side of the building who were equally burned out.

Those days would consist of me showing up, making small talk around the break room about what everyone was doing, going back to my desk, grabbing a stack of binders, and wandering off muttering about "damn meetings". I would swing by a few friends on the other side of the building and see if they wanted to join me, take a few back stair wells, out the loading dock, and dash past the trees. My boss would occasionally catch me in the morning at my desk while I was reviewing this weeks "meeting list", make sure I was keeping busy, remind me when the next cycle was starting, and wander off.

This of course is not to say I didn't bust my ass during the busy cycles. I was the lone Comp Sci person in a department of people with only "system knowledge", and I was relied upon to to interpret requirement docs and help devise test scripts on everything.

Those days would consist of me showing up, making small talk around the break room about what everyone was doing, going back to my desk, grabbing a stack of binders, and wandering off muttering about "damn meetings".

lol. nice.

While I can't say that I've done anything on the technical side that is taboo enough to warrant a mention here I have had an interesting encounter with a co-worker of the fairer sex....

I'm still fairly early in my career (early 20's) and met a girl where I worked who was really good looking (like generally out of my league if I was still in college/high-school) and we ended up hitting it off a bit. On this particular day she sent me an email asking if I had taken a pen off her desk which happened to be her favorite, I had not, but told her that while it wasn't at my desk it may have someone managed to end up in our IT storage area, if she would care to search it with me I would be there at 2:00 (or whatever time I said, I don't remember). Lo and behold I'm walking down the stairs and here she comes, so we head to the storage room, go in and and proceed to fool around for about 30min (the best 30min at work so far in my career I might add). After which we left, we never went back there again but we did date briefly.

We still work together today, and are on decent terms, the evil part of me sort of wants to see if she wants to go look for her pen again someday... ;)

No stories come to mind right now, but I will subscribe to this thread for sure!

I was going to skip this particular thread, but after the HUGE let down that startrek4u gave us I have decided otherwise.

*Non-technical*

Ill start with a brief background, I was 17, working at Stop and Shop(food store chain for those of you who don't know) doing anything they really wanted me to. Well on said night, around 10:30 or so, I had been working in the back unloading trucks and putting together pallets for the night crew to throw on the shelf.

Enter deli girl(8.5-9 on a good day), we had some prior "relations" but never formally dated. I guess she was ultra horny at the time because she didn't say anything, just took my hand and brought me back to where all the electrical wiring was. One thing led to another and I was balling her over one of the boxes will all the electrical shit in it in a flash!:p... This is where the story takes a bit of a "left" and I should have known what was coming.

I hear something, but..... seriously... who's going to stop, this was the best day at work I would have ever had!;) So I continue, around 5 minutes later I hear the store manager outside the door yelling at us to get out of there, we don't respond hoping that he would just leave.... no dice... he send this FAT bitch in from the front end and the rest if history. Suspended for a few days, and an onslaught of humorous "moans" followed for weeks to come from co-workers.

so we head to the storage room, go in and and proceed to fool around for about 30min (the best 30min at work so far in my career I might add). After which we left, we never went back there again but we did date briefly.

We still work together today, and are on decent terms, the evil part of me sort of wants to
see if she wants to go look for her pen again someday... ;)

Man I wish..ANYWAY.

Our CIO wanted us to try this every other Friday off thing but we had to keep it hush hush. So we did. Problem is I would get asked "Where is so and so?" and we kept telling them they are at Vendor Lunches, or Meetings, etc. This one lady kept calling and calling and was getting pissed, but she called every other Friday for like 2 months. Finally we told the lady he left the company.

While we are talking about the every other Friday off..We (Guys in IT) are getting the hang of it quiet well. For users that piss us off, we will tell them to call on the Fridays when we are gone. Then when they call in we tell the person they are away on an emergency, or had to go here, or had to conference call this. Works pretty good.

The other day I told my boss if it was slow I would be watching Transformers for the last 2 hours of the day. Well it was slow and voila Transformers all day :p

I told the MD i was going to pickup some cables (i had already picked up the day before) and had half the day off.

I once ordered 1 to many hard drives and decided to borrow one for my PC at home....

I know, its bad!

Not so much anymore, but for a long period of time, all of us in the IT dept. were having "field meetings". Just so happens that they were on Fridays at the movie's 70 miles away from work and followed up by dinner.

And one time, work sent me to TechEd. Well, TechEd includes breakfast and lunch but they were still giving me my 100 bucks a day for all 3 meals because they didn't know I was getting free breakfast and lunch. 8 days of 100 dollar steaks for dinner was great. Plus the fact that the hotel I was staying in screwed up my reservation and had to move me from a 180 dollar a night room to the only open room that was 1,100 a night.

i didnt know where to put it. it was so tongue and cheek that i was trying to bury it. so if the placement offends anyone, i am sorry; try and think of it as a "gallery" of notorious networking people, like a portrait art gallery of weirdos.

err why is this in the network gallery?

I ran BitTorrent on a T3 for a month, it didn't take much to change the log files.

I was going to skip this particular thread, but after the HUGE let down that startrek4u gave us I have decided otherwise.

There's only thing that was HUGE then letdown in that story, and I can say that it was not let down later that week. Next time I'll say a hawt MILF I work with caught us but instead of turning us in, decided to join, would that make it better? ;)

There's only thing that was HUGE then letdown in that story, and I can say that it was not let down later that week. Next time I'll say a hawt MILF I work with caught us but instead of turning us in, decided to join, would that make it better? ;)

Now you're just making this shit up :p

aaaaww, come on people, i know you can do better than this.

i got a little happy on our kvm switch one time after hitting numlock numlock up ctrl+alt+del trying to find a certain server(it wasn't labelled at this time) well, some genius put one of our linux routers on there... so before the screen even refreshed i had already thrown the ctrlaltdel at it... REBOOT TIME

we had like 40 transfers from clients uploading to our enterprise system at the time... ooops.. i blamed it on AT&T

aaaaww, come on people, i know you can do better than this.

i got a little happy on our kvm switch one time after hitting numlock numlock up ctrl+alt+del trying to find a certain server(it wasn't labelled at this time) well, some genius put one of our linux routers on there... so before the screen even refreshed i had already thrown the ctrlaltdel at it... REBOOT TIME

we had like 40 transfers from clients uploading to our enterprise system at the time... ooops.. i blamed it on AT&T
Are you serious! You make a comment like that then follow up with that crap story:rolleyes:

Rehab, paypal is [email protected]... :p

I work IT parttime for a company near my school a few hours here and there, mainly on monday's and tuesday's. On the day Sean Taylor got shot, I unplugged like three cables from the switch that serviced a few of our PC's in the office but werent in use, I spent the day pretending i was tryna figure out what happened.

I was really crawling the net for as much news I could find.

I then took the following day off (the day Taylor died)

this wasn't at my job, but i still feel responsible...

it was my dad, at the company he worked for he was running NT 4.0, and he had his organizers and other devices that he couldn't use because they were USB... and their technology manager would only reload the computers when they needed to be reloaded or got a new computer... so my dad would complain and complain, as everyone around him was getting 2000 pro and then XP pro (yes, this went on for years)...

but his computer never broke....

he was a vice president by this time, but the technology manager would get his orders from higher up in the corporate ladder... so one day he came home and asked, "how do i kill a machine and not make it look like i killed it?"

and he works in a die-cast factory... so i ask him... "do you have any big magnets?"

he said... "DO I!?" and the next day he backed up all his files and had one of his giagantic electromagnets stuck to the side of his PC until the screen turned blue... unplugged it and stuck it back in his filing cabinent... the next week he had a new XP pro system the guy said "your hard drive must have fried"

this wasn't at my job, but i still feel responsible...

it was my dad, at the company he worked for he was running NT 4.0, and he had his organizers and other devices that he couldn't use because they were USB... and their technology manager would only reload the computers when they needed to be reloaded or got a new computer... so my dad would complain and complain, as everyone around him was getting 2000 pro and then XP pro (yes, this went on for years)...

but his computer never broke....

he was a vice president by this time, but the technology manager would get his orders from higher up in the corporate ladder... so one day he came home and asked, "how do i kill a machine and not make it look like i killed it?"

and he works in a die-cast factory... so i ask him... "do you have any big magnets?"

he said... "DO I!?" and the next day he backed up all his files and had one of his giagantic electromagnets stuck to the side of his PC until the screen turned blue... unplugged it and stuck it back in his filing cabinent... the next week he had a new XP pro system the guy said "your hard drive must have fried"

lol, very nice

well where I used to work as an intern we would have frequent "Urgent off-campus meetings" In which we (we = 20 IT guys plus IT Director) would head to the local Outback Steakhouse followed by a walk across the parking lot to the local Best Buy. Man I miss those days...

During a network upgrade I unplugged the WAN feed going into one of our core switches. It wasn't too bad since there was only one other IT guy that was RDPed into a server to shut it down, but the network guys looked at me like I was an idiot! In my defense the WAN feed was the same color cable as all of the cables that connect to the cubes. I would think something that important would be a different color! :)

Back in high school we had a "Network Admin" that was a bit of a prick and would only give us 4-5 IP addresses for a classroom of 25 computers. We built a server and setup some switches to get all of the computers on the internet. The problem was we used a generic password on the server that everyone knew. Someone got into it that Friday and started playing around. They changed the subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to 252.252.252.0 or something crazy that didn't make sense. Long story short, the server was trying to assign IP addresses to all Verizon (Our school's IPS) customers and it messed up their service for at least a few hours.

The network admin was not happy, and we came into class that Monday to find our little setup completely shut down. He deactivated the network drop in that room, but we just ran a cable from another classroom to get around that!

LOL, nice...

Network admin at the high school that I currently go to, is also a complete idiot. Thanks to him leaving a backup of the teachers and administrator passwords on an open share on a server, I now have complete control of their network. I can telnet their servers, installed VNC on their servers, can RDP over the internet into them, control any computer in the school, quite fun actually. Found the password, did a backdoor install of VNC using a batch file that I made, and bingo, I have utter control of everything. I of course don't mess with anything, just fun to see how far I can go and what I can access, so far, I have control of everything including their managed switches :p hahaha. Yeah, nothing is worse than when a 17 year old is more certified than their tech. (A+ and MCP). Just think, people like him are running our provincial government networks :O, let's hope they do a better job than this retard...

LOL, nice...

Network admin at the high school that I currently go to, is also a complete idiot. Thanks to him leaving a backup of the teachers and administrator passwords on an open share on a server, I now have complete control of their network. I can telnet their servers, installed VNC on their servers, can RDP over the internet into them, control any computer in the school, quite fun actually. Found the password, did a backdoor install of VNC using a batch file that I made, and bingo, I have utter control of everything. I of course don't mess with anything, just fun to see how far I can go and what I can access, so far, I have control of everything including their managed switches :p hahaha. Yeah, nothing is worse than when a 17 year old is more certified than their tech. (A+ and MCP). Just think, people like him are running our provincial government networks :O, let's hope they do a better job than this retard...

lmao. :)

LOL, nice...

Reminds me of the time when the intranet share was open, and i redirected everyone to http://internetisseriousbuisness.com

We have an office that is close and beachside. Sometimes, I will make extra long trips there and back ;)

EDIT: This reminds me of a great thread on SA called "Secrets of your employer"

This thread reminds me of a couple events that I was a part of a few jobs ago.

First one was when my co-worker buddy and I were running some CAT5 cabling in an expansion of a local chamber of commerce. We were scheduled for 11 drops. We were getting paid a flat rate per drop, so we could be done in any length of time. We told the boss man that we'd be back in 6 hours. Well, we were done in 3 hours (and the job was well done, btw), so my co-worker and I went and saw the Matrix 3 on opening afternoon. We got back to work and noone else knew a thing, but we bragged to another co-worker who REALLY wanted to see that movie that night. Heh.

Story #2 was me having a female co-worker from another branch fly here for a weekend of naughtiness and we spent an hour or two at the corporate office "christening" various desks and chairs in the office.

This isn't an IT story, but I thought it was pretty good to tell.

I worked in a grocery store as a "sacker" and a buddy and I found a way to get up into the attic of the store without a ladder or any type of apparatus, just climbing. Up there we had lawn chairs, chips, cokes, and other stuff from the store. Kinda reminds me of that movie with Dane Cook, Employee of the Month. We would just hang out up there and laugh when they called our names to take out groceries...it was pretty cool, and then i had to get a real job

Good stories.

My office is pretty laid back if we're not busy, so most days are spent goofing off, after we get the work done.

The only real story I have is: The ex was super horny one day, i'm in the lab setting up a customers network and all of a sudden I get an instant message, accept. Bam, naked ex right in front of me. I'm like WOAH! Not more than 30seconds later my boss walks in. Luckily I had minimized the nakedness right in the nick of time.

The only real story I have is: The ex was super horny one day, i'm in the lab setting up a customers network and all of a sudden I get an instant message, accept. Bam, naked ex right in front of me. I'm like WOAH! Not more than 30seconds later my boss walks in. Luckily I had minimized the nakedness right in the nick of time.

My ex-coworker used to get a bunch of picture msgs on his phone like that. Shame he never shared the good ones with me.

i put a key logger on about half the computers in a classroom when I was in highschool and let it log for a day or 2. i pulled out a few student username and p/w and a teacher pw.

I had fun accessing the teacher shares. I never did anything malicious with my access.... but the teacher wasn't there the following year. I couldn't find anyone who knew why though.

I told the MD i was going to pickup some cables (i had already picked up the day before) and had half the day off.

I once ordered 1 to many hard drives and decided to borrow one for my PC at home....

I know, its bad!
Ok, that's not "bad"... that's theft! lol :p

I ran BitTorrent on a T3 for a month, it didn't take much to change the log files.
haha love this one! would have been better if you were hosting a game server though. haha

haha i told my brother to do this. he's a Service Advisor at a Ford dealership & his IT guy is a prick and updated everyone else's computer to XP pro when he was stuck with 2000. he said he put the magnet up to the hard drive after taking the top of the case off and after slamming onto the hard drive because of how huge this magnet was, the screen turned funny colors and blue screened then went black. i think he switched monitors with the guy next to him aswell :p the hard drive was definitely FUBAR. & he ended up getting a new zippy dell with XP on it
Then a few months later he told me that he got the OK to order some LCD's and mounting arms for the 4 service advisor's desks with the dealership's money. I helped him pick out 4x Dell 2007FP's & two dual-arm ergotron $170 lcd desk mounts. coolest setup ever! and i dont think anyone even needed to approve what he was ordering.

My Story:
A few months back, I was working at Abercrombie&Fitch... I hated it. folding clothes and doing backroom stocking sucked and i totally didn't fit in there either... a programmer who's only tan is from behind 3,528,000 LCD pixels, working at Abercrombie? haha
anyways, most of hte time, I found myself in the back surveillance room toying with the sound system and video surveillance equipment... I did some funny stuff, like looping the video feed for one of the camera's so that the display for one of the rooms in the store was yesterday's feed... confused the crap out of people lol
I also took the store's music CD that constantly plays, took it home, ripped it, edited one of the tracks to have "peanut butter jelly time" song in the middle of it for about 20 seconds, then go back to the normal song. Burned the CD and swapped them out int he morning before the store opened.
About an hour after the store opened there were maybe 15 customers in the store (and it's in a mall so people were walking by could hear the music)... everything's going normal, with the annoying-as-shit stupid techno crap playing dj remixes of cher and backstreet boys, then out of nowhere "IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!!!" for like 20 seconds! then back to the music! nobody couldl figure out wtf happened cuz nobody was in the back room, and they were too stupid to pull out the cd and check it. So i made sure to be in the back room when the cd was about to repeat again and swapped the cd's out again so i would be safe :D

horribly job though. ended up quitting after 4 months.

Also, back in highschool all of the computers in the entire school district (maybe 10 schools total) used Novell as a login system. In VB.NET programming class, while everyone was trying to complete their 2nd chapter assignment on string manipulation, I made a fake login screen that was identical to the Novell login screen when you boot the computer. I made it save the entered username/password to e:\log.bin (which was a usb drive plugged into the back of hte computer, then issue "shutdown -r -f -t 0" to immediately reboot the computer.
First, I waited for a day I knew we were going to have a substitute, I got tehre early and the teacher's computer hadn't been logged into yet, I told her the printer was out of paper and she went to refill it and i leaned over her desk (in the middle of the comptuer room so it wasn't hard to do) and logged into MY username (only one i had access to) and started up the fake login screen that was stored ont he usb drive i plugged into the back of the computer.
she came back to her desk a mintue or so later, logged in and then at lunch I went into the classroom to grab the usb drive. She had attempted to login, then it rebooted and she didn't think anything of it and logged in as normal.
I then had the username/password that the entire school district used for Substitute Teachers. Which had full administrative rights and access to grades/etc. I never messed with grades or anything (not worth getting caught lol). But I did give myself admin rights and create a new username for a fake student that didn't exist. the username was WHITKJ and the student's name was Kevin James White, & he was a sophomore (or at least according to the records). lol I then used that name for all malicious activity throughout my remaining years there.

Also after using the program to get a few of the passwords to random kids in the classroom, I told them that i was so used to typing on my keyboard in that classroom cuz i had that room for classes for the past 3 sememsters, that I could distinguish the sound of the keys from one another and that I could guarantee I could guess their password by just hearing them type it slowly. they were HELLA freaked out haha

I accidentally formatted the wrong drive a few times early in my tech-years. doh!! one was a school computer :(

Awesome thread. Great stories so far.

Wish I had stories like that but unfortunately my job's have never given me the chance to do those types of things. ;)

So many.. hard part is deciding which are worth sharing.
1. High school summer job as assistant to school board network technicians. After getting a new software image downloading onto school workstations, there'd be a few hours to wait before the other employees and myself could skip town to the next school. The imaging process was unbearably slow for some reason. So backyard bbq's, extended lunches, screwing around on a basketball court, etc. were common.

2. IT job elsewhere, most of the systems were in one very large building, but there's another satellite building across a couple parking lots with a few labs. (We'll call it building B) After a while working there, you learned if a tech was "over at building B fixing the network" he probably wasn't over at building B or if he was, rumours of any network problems were greatly exaggerated.

3. Fun as a lab technician. Installing seti@home on an entire lab of P4's. Having massive folders full of downloads on the servers. Being overstaffed constantly and having nothing but time and computing resources and getting paid for it.

4. Ditto on the previous poster writing a fake 'network login' in school. Also guilty of that I'm afraid. Much better though was writing an app that opened the CD-ROM drive at a particular date/time. After noticing the login script synced the system clock to the server clock, I started wondering what amusement could come of all the systems being in sync. The result was this childish monstrocity, which I used on a couple of occasions to cause entire computer labs to erupt into CD-ROM opening goodness simultaneously, users looking at each other in confusion. Ahhhhhh high school.

The days of being an admin/techie are over and I'm now in software development. But it's amazing how much fun and wasted time can be had in these jobs. And I'll never look at the IT department the same again!

Enjoyable experiences you all have had.

Done the shagging on the desk thing.

I worked in manufacturing though, and I've seen some crazy stuff happen there, more so than networking / IT.

I'll never forget the look on the guys face that was painting the inside of the building, and when that 5 gallon bucket of white paint when belly up into a vat of acid 30 ft below him.

It didn't mix, so there was this huge sheet of white paint just floating on the top of a pool of acid. Needless to say, that was several thousand dollars down the drain with cleanup and what have you.

The worst thing I ever did, I worked at a car dealership as a salesman for about 6-7 months. Well, a small lot gets boring ok, I mean BORING, they let us supply our own PC's if we wanted to use them, well that meant a nice gaming laptop in my cubicle. It was funny how long you can manage to alt tab some World of Warcraft back to a website for your dealership and say "Nah, just checking stock before I call this customer thats hot on a vehicle".

I also installed a wireless router into their system too, but they found that when the guy that was running the network was wondering why something was handing out IP's (I had a Dell Axim, and my laptop getting fed IP's from my wireless router, and it apparently wanted to go and assign IP's to the tech service guys benches too :D ).
Regardless, that job sucked balls, the dealership is closed and good riddance :)

One of the other salesman had a salesman from another dealership send him a audio/pic combo that had 2 alternative lifestyle men in a very compromising position, and it yelled " Hey everybody, look at me, I got gay porn on my cell phone ".
Needless to say, we erupted in tears when he hit the message to see who it was, and it just screamed that through the showroom.

I'm now on the road to a foot in the door tech job (A+ and doing Net+ here in about 3 hours). I'm sure as I start on that road I'll be the butt of some of these types of jokes.

When I was in 4th grade, I was able to log in to the admin account for the library computers in my elementary school. I knew what the username was because I had seen the librarian log in with it various times, and I remembered her telling my class in 3rd grade when we were getting our own logins for the first time to pick a username that was "easy to remember, like 'dog.'" Guess what the password for the admin account was...

Too bad all that was in the admin shares though were installation packages for the typing tutor.

Man I really haven't done shit compared to you guys..

I've walked off with extra hard drives, NIC Cards, cabling, and various parts, but never the dirty on a desk (however still planning on it).

Our IT guys for the school district were dicks. These were the fools that implemented Exchange on a network full of macs when there was only outlook for mac ( years ago) and couldn't understand why the entire facility ran like shit. We also have a couple of admin passwords, but they weren't good enough to go anywhere important like the switches or servers.

These guys where semi smart in some respects, but over all just a bunch of the street dicks since the district weeded out all of the good guys in the first place

Back