AX1200 just destroyed 3 SSDs, 1 HDD, life?

They are not physically compatible, a square and rounded connector segment are swapped from what I can tell. It would take some serious muscle to force one in.

Maybe might have the same square and rounded configuration but the wires still go to different pins? Afterall, in an 8 pin connector there aren't other shapes, just two.

They are not physically compatible, a square and rounded connector segment are swapped from what I can tell. It would take some serious muscle to force one in.
I see. That means that using the wrong cables probably isn't what happened here.

Yikes, gl with the data recovery.

Yea, it be a wise choice for manufactures to actually differentiate their pin style from one other and not make the similiar. Even to make it literally impossible for a 6pin to be plugged into an 8pin slot. Maybe a *blocked pin will help on this* similiar to some IDE cables. (having a pin close to the center blocked off completely.)

Tho yes, costly mistake can happen, tho if manufacture can clearly childproof this issue, it be great.

I'm not stating this is an issue on this specific case, otherwise.

The OP should just take the two sets of cables he has, and examine the pinouts and follow them to each end to see if they match.

I see it's a modular power supply. Did you use any modular cables other than what came in the box with the new supply? Often the connectors from other supplies will fit but are pinned wrong, meaning you could have applied +12V to an input expecting +3.3V, for instance.

That would be my first guess as to what happened. Even if you did everything right, perhaps some of the wrong cables got put in the box which means other people could unwittingly suffer the same fate.

Valid suggestion, but I just wanted to note in my time working for Compaq/HP in a mass-production facility (I could easily test and Ghost images to over 500 computers I monitored myself), I saw some crazy stuff of things forced places where they weren't supposed to be able to go.

Your IDE blocked pin example I assure you doesn't keep an IDE cable from being connected wrong... Neither do they keyed 24-pin mobo power connectors, and I assume that's almost directly comparable to the connectors on modular PSUs?

Valid suggestion, but I just wanted to note in my time working for Compaq/HP in a mass-production facility (I could easily test and Ghost images to over 500 computers I monitored myself), I saw some crazy stuff of things forced places where they weren't supposed to be able to go.

Your IDE blocked pin example I assure you doesn't keep an IDE cable from being connected wrong... Neither do they keyed 24-pin mobo power connectors, and I assume that's almost directly comparable to the connectors on modular PSUs?

At least this won't kill you like in the medical field

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/21/health/policy/21tubes.html?_r=1

At least this won't kill you like in the medical field

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/21/health/policy/21tubes.html?_r=1

I must have experienced something like that once...

While I don't think it would have deadly or even harmful consequences, I was once sprayed with my own stomach acid when a nurse was fiddling around with my tubes. She refused to answer any questions or even acknowledge I was speaking, and was pretty damn quick to clean up the evidence.

I do have to admit though, I did have a lot of tubes. I was surprised you could have that many. But, since I could speak, I obviously wasn't intubated anymore, so that's one less tube, I guess. But what happened was kind of disgusting, so I was rather annoyed that she just completely ignored me afterwards.

Had I understood what had just occurred (I was alone and probably rather heavily sedated) though, who knows what I would have thought. I'm pretty sure she screwed with the wrong tube. Explains her sudden utter silence and quickness immediately afterwards?

God I hope this isnt a trend, As I have a AX1200 coming in thursday.

Unless you try plugging in non-AX1200 cables into a AX1200 powersupply I doubt you will have problems...

I have an AX1200 and it is perfect... Totally stable voltages, runs cool, plenty of power, what more would you want...

LOL, that sounds scary. If I hadn't already gotten a quality Antec PSU last year, I would have definitely been considering this PSU for my rig now. Sorry to hear your stuff get fried. That is every pc owner's worst nightmare. I think there ARE data recovery services that you can hire to get the stuff off the fried hard drives because the data is physically burned into the platters. As for the SSDs, I just don't know, since they use memory chips instead so they may be more fragile. A friend of mine is an electrical engineer and he was able to retrieve data from a dead laptop that I had so I know this kind of stuff can be done. Good luck to you.

God I hope this isnt a trend, As I have a AX1200 coming in thursday.

And you will be needing that to run your lone... GTX 275? :confused:

Just an FYI.. I just got my AX850 today and all of the cables are labeled *FOR AX PSU ONLY* so I would have to be an idiot to use the HX cables.. also there is a very simple manual that will tell you where to put every connector.

I think there ARE data recovery services that you can hire to get the stuff off the fried hard drives because the data is physically burned into the platters.
Data isn't physically burned into platters, it's stored in the arrangement of magnetic particles in the platters. All it would take would be a stray power surge in the heads to scramble some data and render it unrecoverable. Data recovery is possible, but generally only when the platters themselves aren't damaged and there was no corruption while the drive was failing or being killed.

Data isn't physically burned into platters, it's stored in the arrangement of magnetic particles in the platters. All it would take would be a stray power surge in the heads to scramble some data and render it unrecoverable. Data recovery is possible, but generally only when the platters themselves aren't damaged and there was no corruption while the drive was failing or being killed.

Depending on who does it and how much you pay ;)

I haven't had a lot of time to troubleshoot lately, which is why I haven't been following up in this thread yet, but I was able to.

I connected the PSU to a couple older computers (Ones that I wouldn't care if they were to explode, they're gathering dust), tried all the connections, and the PSU seems fine. I'm now running the PSU on my main rig fine as well. I do think it was a wrong cable. I am able to differentiate between the HX1000 cables and AX1200 by looking inside the connectors. Otherwise, they look identical.

The cables aren't labeled like people/Corsair are saying they are. Here's a picture of a wad of AX1200 cables and I can't see any the labeling anywhere, unless I'm blind (Possibility).

Also, here's a picture of the back of my unit. The "USE APPROVED AX1200 CABLES ONLY" notice isn't on there. Does anyone else have an AX1200 with that on there? Just curious.

On top of that, I just learned that my AX1200 is loud as HELL. Here's a short video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj1T7JpORA0

I'm wondering if I should even bother going through with the RMA now. The coil whine sucks but I don't know if it's enough for an RMA and I'm not trying to play the system here. I also don't have a lot of time to spare for all the work it'd take. Sigh :(

Last edited:
I haven't had a lot of time to troubleshoot lately, which is why I haven't been following up in this thread yet, but I was able to.

I connected the PSU to a couple older computers (Ones that I wouldn't care if they were to explode, they're gathering dust), tried all the connections, and the PSU seems fine. I'm now running the PSU on my main rig fine as well. I do think it was a wrong cable. I am able to differentiate between the HX1000 cables and AX1200 by looking inside the connectors. Otherwise, they look identical.

I'm wondering if I should even bother going through with the RMA now. The coil whine sucks but I don't know if it's enough for an RMA and I'm not trying to play the system here. I also don't have a lot of time to spare for all the work it'd take. Sigh :(

Any coil whine on a $300 PSU is unacceptable. We'll replace it for you like I mentioned.

Also, I just found out that a few units slipped out of the factory before they started screen printing the labels. Our bad.

Any coil whine on a $300 PSU is unacceptable. We'll replace it for you like I mentioned.

Also, I just found out that a few units slipped out of the factory before they started screen printing the labels. Our bad.

Thatd be great to replace it, But damn the shipping of it back would cost a chunk of change.

My AX1200 has some minor coil whine, not enough that I'd bother with an RMA, but holy hell.

My HX620 never had any noises at all, But hearing this about the AX1200, Is making me a tad nervous.

So does this mean corsair is going to replace the damaged hardware as well since there wasn't any way to discern the difference between the Hx1000 and ax1200 cables?

So does this mean corsair is going to replace the damaged hardware as well since there wasn't any way to discern the difference between the Hx1000 and ax1200 cables?

Probably not, But I know if I was owner of a company and a part did something like that, I'd replace what was damaged. Its all about QC & customer happiness, Which so far, I've been very happy with Corsair.

The connectors are keyed differently and shouldn't be able to be plugged in without forcing them. But we're already in communication with the OP.

There's really no excuse for "coil whine" in newly released power supplies. How hard is it to test for this and fix it before mass production? I've returned new power supplies for this before, and had to switch to another brand for the replacement. Getting the whining power supply replaced with another of the same model typically results in the replacement having the same problem.

I'm glad I now know about the AX1200's coil whine before I bought one. I will never tolerate noticable coil whine in my gaming pc.

Last edited:
There's really no excuse for "coil whine" in newly released power supplies. How hard is it to test for this and fix it before mass production? I've returned new power supplies for this before, and had to switch to another brand for the replacement. Getting the whining power supply replaced with another of the same model typically results in the replacement having the same problem.

I'm glad I now know about the AX1200's coil whine before I bought one. I will never tolerate noticable coil whine in my gaming pc.

I agree. If the AX1200 I get tomorrow has whine, I will return it rather than go with a RMA. I dont think I should have to pay to ship it back or get a restocking fee on it.

Damn, this whole saga makes me want to cry.

I would send that PSU back due to the whine.....that's just plain FUBAR.
Especially for a top of the line piece.

Can't reallsay much about the scorched HDD except it had to be some electrical malfunction.

Hope Corsair treats you well.
Good luck.:D

FWIW, anytime I'm replacing a power supply or power cable for a device, whether it's a cell phone or a computer, I stick a multimeter to it across every possible connection to verify it's solid. I've dodged at least two bullets on unstable power supplies that way (e.g. 4.45~4.85V variance on the 5V rail across fixed clips.) (Then I forgot it was bad and donated it to build a low-cost common area computer - fried ~$150 in leftover parts in a puff of acrid smoke).

Completely agree about the multimeter thing, you would be surprised at how often mistakes are made on wiring on even the best of brands. All it takes is one wire out of place to completely fuck up your day... week... month.

I once bought a Silverstone unit that came with the 5v and 12v wires swapped on one of the cables. It was a client build and I was in a hurry and didn't pay attention, and said silverstone let the magic smoke out of a 500GB Seagate and a 16X NEC DVD-R/RW.

I'm getting an AX1200 tomorrow & HOPE it doesnt do this. If it does, return.

Its weird, That jonnyguru gave the AX1200 a 9.8 rating & it does this?

Maybee it's like the 800D, when the first run seemed to have some problems with panel spacing, etc.

this product release has been pretty disconcerting considering that there are posts on other forums as well with one guy having to do multiple RMAs because of accessory oversight and then this same coil whine, personally I would've kept the first one and called about getting the stickers, screws, etc., (who doesn't have a million extra screws in some sort of container...?), maybe Redbeard could answer this for sure, but my guess is that they would've just sent him an accessory pack with all the missing screws, missing cable ties, and missing case stickers, but the upside down decals...? meh, not much they can do about that....

it would be hilarious if the first one he RMAed because of the missing accessories had no coil whine at all, only to end up with the howling piglet with his replacement...

Its weird, That jonnyguru gave the AX1200 a 9.8 rating & it does this?

I had two samples - one review sample and one sealed retail sample. Neither one had coil whine. Not sure what's weird about that.

Coil whine does happen fairly regularly, and in electronic devices more expensive than an AX1200 as well. If it's happening unusually often, I would surmise that some coil or another isn't getting enough cement on the windings at the factory. It's not usually dangerous to the PSU... just to the owner's sanity if it's loud enough.

Back