• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

AV40 Best Value at Moment?

mercury529

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
173
I had a few questions that are probably rehashing earlier questions. However, I searched and browsed 5 pages to try to find the answer and did not really find an adequate answer.

I currently have an Audigy 4 soundcard for my computer. I used to have a set of z5500s but gave them away when I moved across the country (rather than deal with the hassle of 50 lbs of speaker equipment). I was not unhappy with the quality of sound because I am by no means an audiophile. I got them for $180 shipped and felt that they were a solid value for a 5.1 gaming system.

I will be using my new speakers rather evenly for movies/tv on the computer, gaming, and music (rock and metal primarily). Movie/TV sound quality would probably be my primary concern though. I have decided to avoid a 5.1 setup because I will be changing apartments in the beginning of August and cannot be sure I will have the room necessary to set it up correctly. I do not need to have my speakers until the beginning of August (though I certainly wouldn't mind getting them sooner).

So given my needs, does the AV40 sound like a reasonable audio solution? I am looking for maximum bang for my buck. They are currently on sale at Provantage for $105 shipped (though I anticipate they may not ship for at least 2 weeks - fine for me). At that price point, they appear to be an excellent value. Is there something in the $200 or under range that would give me better bang for my buck? $300 and under? $500 and under? This of course keeping in mind that I am blissfully ignorant of what I am missing to this point.

Thanks for any help suggestions you can give.
 
The AV 40s are an absolute steal for $105. For music you will find nothing better at that price. Rock and metal both come alive with these speakers.

However, I have to ask you this: are you addicted to the positional audio provided by a 5.1 system? Or did you just use the surrounds in your z5500 speaker set as "more volume?" I have to ask because I see lots of people with 5.1 systems who don't give a shit about properly configuring things, and don't lift a finger concerning positional audio. If you don't bother positioning your 5.1 system for a "sweetspot," then you can skip the next paragraph.

I have to ask because, although you can get a good positional experience from a 2.0 system, you won't get the separation of a well-configured 5.1 system. If you had your x5500s properly configured, you will notice the difference, and this may give you pause before ordering.

But if you didn't care about the spatial separation of a 5.1 system, by all means buy the AV 40s. They are compact (for monitors), and won't weigh you down in your travels, and they sound great for everything. And if you want more bass, flip the switch on the back :)
 
I replaced my Z5500 with AV40 speakers. Recommended. Nice design and the headphone output is amped.
 
Awesome at $105. At $200-300, it depends what sales are on and whether you have a used amp in the basement. At $500, there is pretty easily stuff that will beat them.

"Bang for your buck" is really a bad comparison here if you're asking $150ish speakers versus $500 speakers. If you want $500 worth of audio, then AV40s are not the way to go...well, unless you want to spend the remainder on headphones. Or heaven forbid, music. Whether you would be content with AV40s and thus not have a reason to spend the extra money, that I can't answer. I wouldn't be, you...well, that's up to you.

Will they sound better than Z-5500s? Easily. We make Logitech users into audio true believers with the AV40s all the time, and that's when they're not on sale for $105.
 
I think you're gonna have a hard time finding something that beats the AV40s for $105 or anywhere near it. For $200-300 it depends, there's better 2.0 monitors in the $200 range (like the Swan M200MkII) but I don't think they're twice as better, heh.

Like ashmedai said, if you already had an amp you could look at passive speakers instead and you'd have a world of choice there, but since you mentioned a recent (and future) move and the fact that you left the Z-5500's behind due to it I'm gonna guess you're not sitting on heaps of old gear, heh.

I think as an upgrade (in sound quality and fidelity) from the Z-5500's you'll be very happy with the AV40s... It sounds like they're just what you need for the time being too (as far as practical matters, space, etc). Edit: If you wanted something slightly smaller the Samson set in my sig goes for like $120 and you could probably get 'em (or try 'em out) locally.
 
Last edited:
Just something else to consider... Audioengine A5, $261.75 shipped with MW09 coupon code (MSRP $349). Reviews abound online, mostly quite positive. I just ordered a pair of these tonight after a week of research for something in the $300 range.
 
I tend to think A5s are seriously flirting with "why didn't you buy passives" territory, but they are nice.
 
I tend to think A5s are seriously flirting with "why didn't you buy passives" territory, but they are nice.

what do u mean flirting? do you mean passives sound better? How much better do the A5s sound?
 
It won't necessarily sound better (depends on the passive speakers, you'd have tons of choices) but it's definitely a more flexible solution... You can upgrade the amp or the speakers independently, you can go 5.1 down the road, etc. Obviously the setup also takes up more space, that's the downside. By 'flirting with' he means with the A5 you're getting closer to the price point of passive speakers and an amp (though not entirely there, again there's a ton of choices, 'specially if you don't mind used equipment). Another alternative is the cheaper M200MkII which are comparable to the A5 but you can find 'em for just under $200.
 
Compared to M Audio AV40s, is it a big diff? I plan on adding a sub to the AV40s
 
There also get to be very few "active" speakers past a certain price/quality level...the A5s are roughly where you can probably find an equal quality passive solution incl. amp without trying too hard. You still actually need space for the amp, so some people get them because of that, others because it's less to think about and still gives you a very nice audio solution...people have lots of reasons.

Keep in mind that for active speakers, you also have to cram the amp inside the speaker cabinet along with everything else, and that you have no say in what amp is chosen...for amplification quality alone, this becomes a limiting factor.

You can't upgrade active speakers, you can only replace them. You also give up control over more of your audio system.
 
I got an Onkyo receiver already ^ what speakers would u suggest to get them with then
 
They're kind of big for sitting on a desktop, and for the love of #deity, quadruple check that they're actually in stock ready to ship before ordering 'em.

One more thing. Be sure to check the shipping costs so you don't get a surprise later.
 
A lot? I think not.
I'm glad you claim to be thinking, but reality defies your claims.

The Ref .5 is 6.5" x 7.5" x 12.5" (WxDxH) and the X-LS is 8.5" x 12.125" x 13.5" (WxDxH). The X-LS takes up 2.28x the volume of the Ref .5, and has a footprint that's 2.11x the area of the Ref .5

That makes the Ref .5 a lot smaller.
 
Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how do the AV-40s compare against the logitech Z-2300s or the Logitech X-540s?
 
Just out of curiosity, how do the AV-40s compare against the logitech Z-2300s or the Logitech X-540s?

They don't. More specifically, the Logitechs aren't even in the same league as something like the AV40s.

Straight up, if you need stereo speakers and don't want to spend a lot or do a lot of research, the AV40s are one of the best buys you could make.
 
Depth and height mean nothing. It's about width. x-ls are fine. I'd be using my Ref 1's on my desk if they were magnetically shielded. (They're rears in my HT instead due to lack of shielding)
 
Reading threads here makes my money disappear. Fuck this place. :D

My Promedia 5.1 Ultras' amp started buzzing really badly and I want something that sounds good but is less complicated to screw with and this will work nicely I think unless I decide to go the all out receiver route.
 
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions guys. It sounds like bang for buck the AV40s seems like a really solid option for my situation. Thanks for all the input.
 
Yeah, the AV40s are solid. When I first plugged them in, they didn't sound too great, but after a few days of burning them in, they sounded brilliant. Essentially, the bass was initially a bit too muddy or something, but having them work tightened them up.
 
Also purchased the AV40s based on the recommendations here. Although I am embarrassed to say that ill be using them with my realtek onboard sound cause I am broke :eek:

edit: OH and stupid question, they will hook straight up to my computer out of the box right ? No extra cables needed or DAC (wtf is a DAC?)
 
Last edited:
A DAC is a "Digital to Analog Converter" and is responsible for taking the digital audio information and turning it into an analog signal which can be used to drive speakers / headphones / etc. This signal is then amplified so that it has sufficient voltage and current for the intended device. In your case, the DAC is part of the sound card while the amplification occurs inside the AV40s (which is why they are classified as "active" speakers).

Onboard sound...well, it's rarely great, but it's usually at least adequate (these days).

I don't know what the AV40s come with, but I would be surprised to see active speakers without a basic cable bundled. Worst case, you would be out about $10 and a week while cables / adapters are shipped from someplace like Monoprice or Sweetwater.
 
A DAC is a "Digital to Analog Converter" and is responsible for taking the digital audio information and turning it into an analog signal which can be used to drive speakers / headphones / etc. This signal is then amplified so that it has sufficient voltage and current for the intended device. In your case, the DAC is part of the sound card while the amplification occurs inside the AV40s (which is why they are classified as "active" speakers).

Onboard sound...well, it's rarely great, but it's usually at least adequate (these days).

I don't know what the AV40s come with, but I would be surprised to see active speakers without a basic cable bundled. Worst case, you would be out about $10 and a week while cables / adapters are shipped from someplace like Monoprice or Sweetwater.

Awesome Info, Much Appreciated
 
Quick question...did you purchase this set with a coupon code or something? OR has the price just changed since last week?
 
I bought mine in CDN dollars at a local store, and as per norm, I got shafted. Ended up being $180 Canadian. *sigh* At least it was cheaper than having them shipped.
 
I'm in the market for these, anyone know of a good deal? Seems like 150 is the best I can do for a site that actually has them in stock and ready for shipping. I searched google shopping mostly.
 
They don't. More specifically, the Logitechs aren't even in the same league as something like the AV40s.
Have you used both (x-540 specifically)? And are you only talking about music? Are they better in movies/games too? (disregarding surround sound)
 
Have you used both (x-540 specifically)? And are you only talking about music? Are they better in movies/games too? (disregarding surround sound)

Logitech uses a number of SKUs based around a relatively few different speakers. I've heard the different speakers, but don't bother to track their entire product line.

Poor quality speakers are going to suck for any application. Only, only things I would even remotely consider them for is (a) you got it used for extremely cheap / free and can't afford anything else or (b) you're desperately attached to 5.1 but don't have the room for it. For stereo, it's really bloody easy to surpass them. A large part of the problem lies in that Logitech's speakers attempt to use teensy weensy drivers...which just won't hold up to a speaker with a larger and more solid cabinet with 4-6" midwoofer drivers.

The only thing that should legitimately have drivers that small is headphones, and those go right next to your ears not across the room.
 
Back
Top