Atomic Heart

Apparently a development build is leaked and is being passed around for download. Of course it is an old build from a few months ago and probably a mess. I would double check any "benchmarks" youtubers will be doing or any commentary about the gameplay because people are stupid enough to believe there is little difference between builds performance wise.
I am guilty of running this and it is smooth at 144 FPS. Will install Xbox PC game pass version later.

Still looks a bit damage spongey to me. Will see how it pans out. If anyone is playing it, how buggy is it? Any big performance issues?

Atomic Heart Ditches Ray Tracing on PC at the Very Last Minute

Only a few hours before the game's launch, we received a clear answer: Atomic Heart won't have ray tracing for now. The exact quote is:

"Following the launch, we'll revisit the needs of our gamers"

https://wccftech.com/atomic-heart-ditches-ray-tracing-on-pc-at-the-very-last-minute/

WTH does that even mean??...previously they confirmed that RT reflections, shadows and some RT global illumination would be included...now it's all undecided I'm guessing due to performance issues...the game looked like an RT powerhouse pre-release

Atomic Heart Ditches Ray Tracing on PC at the Very Last Minute

Only a few hours before the game's launch, we received a clear answer: Atomic Heart won't have ray tracing for now. The exact quote is:

"Following the launch, we'll revisit the needs of our gamers"

https://wccftech.com/atomic-heart-ditches-ray-tracing-on-pc-at-the-very-last-minute/

WTH does that even mean??...previously they confirmed that RT reflections, shadows and some RT global illumination would be included...now it's all undecided I'm guessing due to performance issues...the game looked like an RT powerhouse pre-release

Disappointing. Wonder how many problems it had, because that is my only assumption of why it would be removed.

the banter with the glove is going to get REALLY annoying. I just got to where you do combat and I'm already annoyed with it. it is worse than high life to me.
It just isn't needed at all in this game. It is doing nothing to make it better.

Disappointing. Wonder how many problems it had, because that is my only assumption of why it would be removed.

another reason to never, ever pre-order 98% of games...I was really looking forward to Atomic Heart and still decided to wait until after it was officially released before buying to read about any performance or other issues...they promised RT at launch for PC and pulled a bait and switch...always wait until at least Day 2 before buying a game

outside of the lack of RT, the game seems really good (it also looks pretty impressive even without RT)...but for me I like my first playthrough to be as good as possible so I'm going to wait for the RT patch...exactly the same thing happened with Plague Tale: Requiem...they hyped up ray-tracing and Nvidia released a ton of RT marketing videos and it was released with no RT...it took 3 months for Requiem to get RT, I'm expecting something similar with Atomic Heart based on the developer's casual response to why it wasn't included at launch

RT support getting pulled last-minute is especially baffling since IIRC Atomic Heart was one of the first RTX titles teased way back when NV Turing arch / 2000 series was announced, like the whole original pitch was "raytracing and Soviet robots" and NV showed it off as a tech demo. It's not like it was a last-minute feature in some preview builds. Wonder what the story is...

Sigh, I guess I'll wait to pick this one up, too. The visual design (environments, enemies, etc.) is extremely intriguing to me and the lack of RT isn't a deal-breaker necessarily...but it sounds like I'll probably want to grab the Atomic Pass (don't care about any of the other add-ons really) and although I'm into this game, I'm not $90 into it with so many other things to play. Yes, I know it's less from the grey market sites but I can wait for a sale and patches. I tend to agree with polo in that I prefer for my first playthough of a game to be after they've had a chance to polish things up and/or add missing features. Worked out quite well for me with Arkham Knight, No Man's Sky, and Callisto Protocol.

Looking forward to more feedback - keep it coming. If it does indeed have influences of Half-Life 2, Portal, Control, Prey, BioShock and Dishonored then it's already off to a good start in my book as I enjoyed each and every one of those.

I ran the dev copy and the Xbox PC version and the FPS was the same with or without the RT(Dev copy has it). G sync (VRR) is broken at some times it appears.

also, the fact there is little world interaction kind of sucks. Like I cant just breeak through a window into a room even though there is a door to go through. Can't blow up or smash anything. the world is completely invulnerable to everything unless its scripted.

Removing RT at the last minute was a smart move if they're not sure about it. They have no doubt seen the last 2-3 AAA releases on pc and wisely choose to minimize issues for the game at launch. I'm guessing the RT path for pc and next/current gen consoles will launch in about another 1-3 weeks.

Removing RT at the last minute was a smart move if they're not sure about it. They have no doubt seen the last 2-3 AAA releases on pc and wisely choose to minimize issues for the game at launch. I'm guessing the RT path for pc and next/current gen consoles will launch in about another 1-3 weeks.

the game got a lot of praise for its performance at launch so I agree that it was a good move (very little to no UE4 stuttering and high frame rates)...RT is only going to cause massive performance drops, especially with a game this visually complex

The voice acting and dialog is cringe. It really detracts from the game. I'll keep pushing on, but not too sure about it.

The voice acting and dialog is cringe. It really detracts from the game. I'll keep pushing on, but not too sure about it.

that's the biggest complaint I'm seeing from everyone about the game...unlikable protagonist with cringey dialogue...the developer recommends playing with Russian audio and subtitles because they probably know that the English dialogue is terrible

that's the biggest complaint I'm seeing from everyone about the game...unlikable protagonist with cringey dialogue...the developer recommends playing with Russian audio and subtitles because they probably know that the English dialogue is terrible

is it better if you switch to russian dialog with the subtitles?

you don't have to listen to the dialogue so it all depends on if you like reading subtitles

kind of hard not to listen to it. I did switch it to russian just to see. the voice acting isn't so cringy then but the placement and size of the subtitles makes it kind of difficult to read and play at the same time. I am not sure which way is better.

I just kinda started it. Really fucking weird you have to turn on Frame Generation in Graphics for the 4000 cards to enable v-sync? I did the Russian dialog with the subtitles but it is annoying to read the subtitles but you can tell the main character dialog is pretty shitty. They just seem like an unlikable prick from what little bit I've seen which is pretty much summed up in "yeah yeah yeah hurry up. I don't care. Fuck fuck fuck fuck"

Mundfish is working on adding FOV and subtitle text size options to the game.

https://twitter.com/mundfish/status/1628133815532064771
1677078510759.png

Honestly, the removal of raytracing makes sense here. I just don't think UE4 can properly handle raytracing being slapped on. There isn't a single UE4 title with raytracing that isn't a stuttering train wreck with raytracing enabled, which is largely due to the engine not really having proper multi-threaded support.

Regarding the complaints about the voice acting and dialogue... I get it. But.

Resident Evil (and countless others) were/are great games despite some infamously bad writing and/or vocal delivery. Outside of that, it seems like this game's a banger from everything I've read/heard so far. It's understandable to relay criticisms but I wish more people would weigh in on what they like about it, lol. I mean I can go read some Steam reviews but I value your opinions more (except when I disagree with them of course)

Between the horrible mouse smoothing, the FOV, and some enemies' animations not running at the same speed as the rest of the game when running at 120fps, this became the first game I ever recall making me motion sick. I got as far as the first skill upgrade station before needing to turn the game off and go lay down for a while. A pity too as the game seems like it could be really fun and I love the over-all design of the world.

Seems like the general consensus is there’s no need to rush into this one.

Just finished Wonderlands and started in on High on Life, but it didn't really grab me, so I decided to Game Pass Atomic Heart. Glad I did, as the graphics and gameplay are really solid. However, I certainly understand everyone's frustration at all the annoying conversations between the main character and his glove. It seems like the game could have been a lot more serious and focused without that distracting bit. I understand the need for exposition to get players up to speed, but I believe it could have been better accomplished by one of those female robots.

20230225_023802.jpg

Finally some new games not sure if the quality I don't own any if them. Oh Deadspace and Forespoken....

Just finished Wonderlands and started in on High on Life, but it didn't really grab me, so I decided to Game Pass Atomic Heart. Glad I did, as the graphics and gameplay are really solid. However, I certainly understand everyone's frustration at all the annoying conversations between the main character and his glove. It seems like the game could have been a lot more serious and focused without that distracting bit. I understand the need for exposition to get players up to speed, but I believe it could have been better accomplished by one of those female robots.

Am I the only one who likes the goofy ass conversations? Though the game is somewhat bipolar and can't seem to quite decide whether to be serious or campy B movie insane.

I'm somewhat conflicted on the level design and pacing

Am I the only one who likes the goofy ass conversations? Though the game is somewhat bipolar and can't seem to quite decide whether to be serious or campy B movie insane.

I'm somewhat conflicted on the level design and pacing
If the game leaned into the camp and b-grade stuff more, I think it could have worked. Though, it still would have had to be toned down a little and written slightly better. There game is basically eurojank disguised as a AAA title and it can't pick a side between those two.

The music from the upgrade machine is stuck in my head.

I feel like it has gotten a bit better in terms of t he annoying conversations. the worst thing that it keep pausing the game to tell me things I already knew from like hours ago like "Make sure you dodge in mid air to jump further" it never stops.

I think if the main character's voice actor was better, it would be a lot better. I think its really that character voice that makes it so bad. the glove isn't really that bad to me now.

All I can say is GREAT GAME, Mundfish Crafted a truly memorable experience. 14.9hrs to finish and I did not explore all the areas in the world. Time for a second playthrough.

Back