Atomic Heart

This game looks incredible. I was thinking it was abandonware/vaporware or some sort of scam, but it seems like a legit crazy game. Definitely on my watch list.

Conceptually it looks cool...gameplay-wise, that combat looks fucking annoying. Also, the pick-up animations are WAY too long.

I don't think it looks bad. The combat just looks different than your typical game. The enemies have a bit more fight in them, so it's a slower progression than just popping a bullet in them and moving on. I'd have to play it to be sure about the feel, but I'd say it looks different rather than bad. Time will tell I suppose. As far as object pickup, yeah, it looks like they tried to model the entire experience of picking an object up off the ground. Quake this is not. :D Once again though, the whole pacing of this game seems a lot more deliberate, so it may be just fine.

I've read various things about them struggling a bit to get the game finished. I also noticed the "Support Mundfish by preordering" thing at the end of the video. The game certainly has my interest, but I'd like to see a semi-solid release time-frame before I'd pre-order it. Something I don't think we're going to get. The thought of supporting devs that have different and interesting ideas though like this, is also appealing, I just don't want to support them with a preorder, and then have the game get cancelled.

I know it's not Quake, but it reminds me of the newer Far Cry games where every time you wanted to search a dude it has to do this annoying animation. Sort of like in RDR2 as well. After about half a dozen times it just becomes irritating.

As for the combat, the issue to me is that it looks like they want to have some sort of melee combat but as far as I can tell, there is no block or dodge - you just stand there getting pummeled and trying to precisely time a hit where the enemy is not just unrelentingly pounding you. To me it feels like that would get frustrating really fast.

And sure, this is all pre-alpha footage, but other than the general atmosphere and the cool enemy designs, I didn't see much that made me think "WOW, I really want to play this."

Valid points. Yeah, like I said, to really know how it feels I'd need to play it. I agree that the pick-ups might get a little old after a while. I'll reserve judgment on the melee combat until I see more or play it, but while I don't think it looks bad, I do agree that there should be more to it if it's a bigger part of the game. On the other hand, wrenches, crowbars, pipes, and other such melee weapons in this type of game have always been kind of limited (see System Shocks etc.) That doesn't mean they shouldn't be better now, just that classically they've never been that great unless they were in an Arkane game. They seem to know how to do that sort of thing in first person better than most.

Oh wow- I had totally forgotten about this. Thank you and I'll watch later!

OK, that looks pretty cool (the 10 min vid). I hope it gets some decent voice work for the translations or a good way for non-Russian speakers to understand. And $40 for preorder isn't terrible but I'm on the review first bandwagon.

Last edited:
Looks more like Bioshock, with a bit of Fallout grade cheesy retro flare. Was hoping it would lean more toward STALKER/Metro with Bioshock, but still looks interesting to say the least.

Looks more like Bioshock, with a bit of Fallout grade cheesy retro flare. Was hoping it would lean more toward STALKER/Metro with Bioshock, but still looks interesting to say the least.

I hope it ends up being nothing like metro. Don't think I'd want more of that Russian soap opera style gaming.

It definitely looks intriguing. To really sell me, this game has to be fully realized and the world/story has to be incredibly integrated. If it's just "hey there's floating water here 'cause I think that looks cool", then that's annoying and you can just count me out. I want all of these great awesome visuals and designs with a purpose.

It definitely looks intriguing. To really sell me, this game has to be fully realized and the world/story has to be incredibly integrated. If it's just "hey there's floating water here 'cause I think that looks cool", then that's annoying and you can just count me out. I want all of these great awesome visuals and designs with a purpose.

As someone that is perfectly happy playing the original Quake from time to time, I’d be happy either way as long as the combat is tight.

However, even just watching the clips so far I think it’s pretty obvious that something has gone horribly wrong, and there pretty much has to be a reason for it spelled out or implied.

I’m actually not worried at all. It’s very apparent that they have painstakingly created this world. Why wouldn’t they want to fully pull you in however trippy the story might be.

I do agree to a point that a Metro type story would not go with this at all. I even like Metro. I don’t think it would fit.

If I had to choose from existing material, something between STALKER, System Shock, maybe a less humorous touch of Fallout or RAGE, with a nice spooky Eastern flair would be perfect. Maybe not heavy handed on the story, but enough to pull you in, and figure some things out oneself.

I’ve seen some pretty thoughtful and twisted Russian movies that provide a thick and intriguing atmosphere. I think this game has a lot of potential to be like some of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

I assume they will try and add in a story but after double checking the videos, truthfully so far we haven't seen much if any dialogue or story. This game will probably lean more towards environmental story telling and gameplay. I do hope there is some story aspect that is isn't told via the environment though, which is why I referenced Metro above.

Not a fan of silent protagonists these days though, and it looks like this game may have one. Or it could just be that they haven't done voice acting yet, especially English voice acting.

Last edited:
I assume they will try and add in a story but after double checking the videos, truthfully so far we haven't seen much if any dialogue or story. This game will probably lean more towards environmental story telling and gameplay. I do hope there is some story aspect that is isn't told via the environment though, which is why I referenced Metro above. A good is always fine if done right.

Not a fan of silent protagonists these days though, and it looks like this game may have one. Or it could just be that they haven't done voice acting yet, especially English voice acting.

I also hope there's a bit more than just environmental, but it does at least to some degree appear that you're a sole (or one of a few maybe?) survivor. Which is actually fine, but it would be good if you learned from more than just log files. I actually am a huge fan of the Shock and Doom 3 style of play, but it's nice to occasionally come across some interesting characters. It does look like some kind of "exclusion zone" things for lack of a better term, only rather than just nuclear problems, it appears some other sort of experiment-gone-wrong things with robots and AI taking over in a very weird and broken sort of way, and definitely some whacked out physics.

However it ends up, I can already tell I will enjoy this game, whether it's super-basic play, or very involved. Everything I've seen so far just looks like I will love the hell out of it. Especially that really short video they put out that just showed this little clown robot changing from happy to evil. :D I was kind of hooked just from that tiny video alone.

Edit: That video is called Clown Trap if you haven't seen it. ;)

Edit Edit:

This and Cyberpunk are the only games I want right now. (aside from my standard 2D indies) I can’t wait for this game.

They have released some really yummy RTX images and videos on Steam and their site. I have had this game wish listed for a while now. SO looking forward to this beautiful retro post war visuals.

They have released some really yummy RTX images and videos on Steam and their site. I have had this game wish listed for a while now. SO looking forward to this beautiful retro post war visuals.

nice I’ll have to check it out! Been waiting a long time for this too, looks amazing.

Atomic Heart | RTX PC Game Reveal

graphics look stunning...gameplay also looks really impressive...hopefully they announce a release date soon!

Holy shit....man, they need to hurry the hell up! Been waiting on this for a very long time.

Atomic Heart | RTX PC Game Reveal

graphics look stunning...gameplay also looks really impressive...hopefully they announce a release date soon!

Add Atomic Heart to your wishlist it's been on my Wishlist for like 2 years.

Based on how the game looks it's probably going to take a 3080 with DLSS to maintain 60 FPS at only 1080p with ray tracing on.

Looks decent. Have a feeling the story might be a bit lacking in this one, but the environment looks pretty good and hopefully the gameplay holds up.

Based on how the game looks it's probably going to take a 3080 with DLSS to maintain 60 FPS at only 1080p with ray tracing on.

Any game with ray tracing really. Change from 1080 to 2560x1440 though and it is probably closer to the mark.

developer Mundfish has launched a new Atomic Heart website, which will eventually detail all the game’s characters, weapons, enemies, and more...Mundfish has also released a new trailer, showing off the game’s newly-announced photo mode...

https://mundfish.com/lore/

This and STALKER 2. Looks like no firm release date, so probably late 2021 or early 2020. Around the time of STALKER 2.

Back