ATIs AMD platform does deliveer - Anandtech's preview

wizzackr said:
Funny no one brought that up when the *whole world* was happily reviewing the gforce series, x800s or GTXs and they were NOT available anywhere... Really, can someone explain me the difference between THIS launch and for example nvidia's, please? What makes this one so unbelievable? Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the stance towards possible paper-launches - but only if applied to ALL products and companies equally.

on a sidenote: could it be that ATI is holding back Sapphire in order to wait for crossfire enabled cards on their part or something like this?

Actually when it comes to video cards they are pretty much identical in terms of build, until of course they get cheapened up way down the line, but that is not usually early in retail product history.

wizzackr said:
No one said you'd be able to buy it already in the first place: "...you will be able to buy retail PI-A9RX480 motherboards in most markets by August 15th-20th. Price will be "competetive with nForce4..." Anandtech.

(...crossing fingers ;) )

Too bad no one said the review would actually be comparable to retail product.

The same is done in gaming a lot too if you look back. There's games coming out today, that had their first roots and reviews some 3-4 or more years ago.

Hell, I'm still waiting for the next Duke Nukem :D

Everything in life is a crap shoot till the day its there. Consider previews like a wedding engagement. It has nothing but potential substance till the day to exchange rings and vows. The same can be said for previews. Till the day you can buy it, its all potential.

In this scenario, I like the potential. I want to exchange vows (money for product :D)

Anyone know if this has a Game/Midi port? One of those things i really need in a mobo but more manufacturers seem to stop catering for...

I would suggest buying a card that has MIDI, most probably don't have it, this one included.

well looks like kyle was right i e-mailed sapphire about when would this mobo would be available, and here is there reply, Sorry I don't have the info yet, please check back with us in September.

Tech

Sapphire Technology
Tech Support Center :mad:

Interesting, to be sure. They still pushed the board to the highest HTT they have ever seen (with PC3200 modules), and I don't think I would let below average USB and ethernet performance keep me away from that.

Apparently, though, it will be released within a couple weeks, so we're still not talking about production boards. My final opinion will wait until then.

wizzackr said:
Really, can someone explain me the difference between THIS launch and for example nvidia's, please? What makes this one so unbelievable? Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the stance towards possible paper-launches - but only if applied to ALL products and companies equally.

Hmm, could it be that with the recent launches nVIDIA has performed, that product was avialble to purchase at the same time (although primarily by the web stores, but available non the less)?

Interesting how you poked at nVIDIA when they've changed their method and ATI is still primarily paper.

Last round of vid cards were both paper launched. Since then Nvidia launched the 7800 which is readily available, but ATI hasn't launched anything since. So I fail to see how you come to the conclusion that ATI is primarily paper launches.

don't the PATA/SATA numbers from the tech report article kind of disagree with the anandtech article? I mean, (while they did use different programs) the anandtech article showed ATI's IDE performance beating out the nforce4 SATA performance, and the silicon image controller with SATA2 seemed to beat the nforce SATA2 by a good margin.

Why are these two results so different? The anandtech results led me to believe that the nforce really doesn't have great numbers (compared to say a controller card), and that not only did ATI put forth a better design (PATA beating SATA), but the numbers from the silicon image controller on the sapphire were impressive as well.

On to the tech report article, which paints a very different picture.

What's the real deal here?

For a board that has an MSRP of 179$ Gigabit and USB should be flawless, this is a bad joke at a high price, heck why not get a nice ASUS SLI, now if it comes down to 110-120$, Im hooked.

lol i had to.....

untitled.jpg

Here we are bascially in October and still no product in retail to be seen.

what are you talking about ..

here in Canada it's still mid-June .. different time zones buddy !!

Jeez

AT claims mid-October retail availability for these boards.

In a perfect world, they'll all perform as good as reference (or maybe with improved USB, etc!) and the video cards will all be wonderful and (la la la... oh... returns to real world.) But... we shall see. At least we'll know by Christmas!

I've still yet to see one that surpasses the 450MHz HTT of my DFI nF4 board and the 495MHz HTT of tsuehpsyde's.

robberbaron said:
I've still yet to see one that surpasses the 450MHz HTT of my DFI nF4 board and the 495MHz HTT of tsuehpsyde's.

:eek: that is... um, rather high numbers... if it gets anywhere near that i'd be more than happy :p

It is kinda strange that these aren't out yet. Wonder what the problem is? I noticed they released a bios update on the Sapphire website on Oct., 5. but there are no boards out to update

hmm......I beleive one of the fellows at xtremesystems has a board that he recieved from sapphire, so that might explain the bios update on their site, and yeah, I dont see any retailers with this board.........its kinda annoying how this board has been launched so many times......yet never has it made it to a retailer.........

This board is a tru ghost, even in colour. I've tried to get it but with no luck. On ATI's site they say that newegg and pricewatch should have it but they don't. Anyone know more about this?

Back