• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ATI Drivers really that bad?

Standard response from someone who can't explain why I never had a single system freeze, gray screen, BSOD, random restart, etc. with my GTX 280, 285 and 295. The only time these problems appeared was after installing the 5870. It's easier to just call someone an idiot than try to offer a rational explanation or remedy. :rolleyes:

I love the lack of reading comprehension, drivel? Point out where I said or claimed Nvidia's drivers were bad, or when I called anyone an idiot? (You can't)

None of it is in there and yes my point still stands that a majority of the "ATI drivers SUCK!" responces comes from people who have never actually used their hardware.
 
I love the lack of reading comprehension, drivel? Point out where I said or claimed Nvidia's drivers were bad, or when I called anyone an idiot? (You can't)

None of it is in there and yes my point still stands that a majority of the "ATI drivers SUCK!" responces comes from people who have never actually used their hardware.

Or never did a clean driver install.
 
I never had a single issue with my crossfire setup- might be because at the time I was using a complete AMD system- cpu,mb chipset and gpu. I recently switched my system from a 4850 crossfire setup to a Nvidia GTX 460 SLI setup but it was NOT due to having any issues with AMD's gpus and crossfire - more due to just wanting a speed increase. Dual gtx 460s kick major butt BTW- even with a Phenom. :)
 
Towards the end of my owning an Eyefinity setup I started encountering this microstutter issue with 10.6 that I did not manage to get fixed. It only occurred in eyefinity 1900x1200 worked fine so for the Average user I'd still recommend Ati for the 5870 at least, but I jumped ship for surround.
 
i have 2 nvidia and 1 ati machine under my wing right now. The ATI one is my girlfriend's computer, and i hate updating it because ATI's website sucks. And she can't figure out how to update because... of course, ATI's website isn't really inherently designed - a person new to the website will take a while to figure it out - so that means i have to go in and update it and it makes me :mad:

And she only plays 3 games, Crysis, Sims3, and Overlord, and its been nothing but driver troubles whenever she wants to play Overlord.

Then theres Nvidia, i just click in my system specs, and then they figure out what driver i need for me. No hassle, super fast.

So i prefer Nvidia because their website is better designed to serve the driver updating noob, which in turn makes it easier for all of us to update.
 
i have 2 nvidia and 1 ati machine under my wing right now. The ATI one is my girlfriend's computer, and i hate updating it because ATI's website sucks. And she can't figure out how to update because... of course, ATI's website isn't really inherently designed - a person new to the website will take a while to figure it out - so that means i have to go in and update it and it makes me :mad:

And she only plays 3 games, Crysis, Sims3, and Overlord, and its been nothing but driver troubles whenever she wants to play Overlord.

Then theres Nvidia, i just click in my system specs, and then they figure out what driver i need for me. No hassle, super fast.

So i prefer Nvidia because their website is better designed to serve the driver updating noob, which in turn makes it easier for all of us to update.

I can find drivers on either companies website in about 15 seconds or less. I see them as being intuitive enough for just about anyone. I've never used NVIDIA's online tool for scanning my hardware and downloading the "correct" driver. In my experience these tools are slower than traditional methods and they don't always work. They are error prone. Again I've never used NVIDIA's but in general I see little to no need for that type of driver update feature within the website. Noob or not its easy as hell just to pick your card and download the right driver. And really you don't even need to be that accurate about that. The drivers are mostly unified and support most card models made within the last 3 or 4 years. This is something both ATI and NVIDIA have done for several years now. All you really need to know is what OS you are running. If you can't figure that out, then you probably shouldn't be messing with driver updates in the first place.
 
ATI drivers have been bad for quite a while for Quadfire + Eyefinity users but with 10.7a things has improved considerably.
 
i have 2 nvidia and 1 ati machine under my wing right now. The ATI one is my girlfriend's computer, and i hate updating it because ATI's website sucks. And she can't figure out how to update because... of course, ATI's website isn't really inherently designed - a person new to the website will take a while to figure it out - so that means i have to go in and update it and it makes me :mad:

And she only plays 3 games, Crysis, Sims3, and Overlord, and its been nothing but driver troubles whenever she wants to play Overlord.

Then theres Nvidia, i just click in my system specs, and then they figure out what driver i need for me. No hassle, super fast.

So i prefer Nvidia because their website is better designed to serve the driver updating noob, which in turn makes it easier for all of us to update.

really? that's lame. Especially since ATi uses the same damn drop down menus, too.
drivers.png

EDIT: the top one is on AMD/ATi's front page, the bottom one is on nVIdia's driver download page.
 
The ATI one is my girlfriend's computer, and i hate updating it because ATI's website sucks. And she can't figure out how to update because... of course, ATI's website isn't really inherently designed - a person new to the website will take a while to figure it out - so that means i have to go in and update it and it makes me :mad:

Well, it was ages since i was at either AMD or ATI official website. I download the drivers from http://game.amd.com/ , click on Downloads, and you will land on http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Voila, done.
 
When I pay for a videocard I usually get the best bang for your buck, so I've had many Nvidia cards and ATi cards. I'll admit that I'm more of an ATi fan, but you can't go wrong with either. Driver wise, there's some things I like about Nvidia and some I like with ATi... Overall I like ATi's better and they always seem to improve their drivers with each release. I've only had problems with their beta and modded drivers but that's not too perplexing.
 
I really haven't trouble with ATI or nVidia drivers =\ Like Wendig0, I'm more of a bang-for-the-buck guy than a brand loyalist.
 
both company have bad Quad-GPU setup.. they all horribly bad..

well before 10.7a I couldn't play anygame in dx10 stutter free and now I can with smooth visuals and v-sync also works fine so I wouldn't call it horribly bad anymore for ATI's side.
 
well before 10.7a I couldn't play anygame in dx10 stutter free and now I can with smooth visuals and v-sync also works fine so I wouldn't call it horribly bad anymore for ATI's side.

I may have to give 10.7a a spin as stuttering drives me crazy!
 
i used Nvidia for years and the big plus has never been the driver bugs, both sides have them. it was more along the lines in that Nvidia's drivers live in beta land for a long time where as ATI will officially release drivers once a month pretty much guaranteed.

When switching from Nvidia to ATI it was such a nice change to have a regimented driver release schedule that was official. No more beta driver this and beta driver that.. I actually don't like how ATI has started up these beta's as of a late.

I can't comment on the latest hardware but since the X1900 to the 4870 i run now i have only had 1 driver issue and that was when i learned my lesson that DriverCleaner is a bunch of snakeoil and will do more harm t your machine than good.
 
I've had more crashes and blue screens with Nvidia cards than ATI. I guess that's what you get for always keeping up to date and running the latest Betas. I would get at least a few blue screens per month with my GTX295, while I have had zero with the 5870. Though to be honest I prefer NV's control panel.
 
I can find drivers on either companies website in about 15 seconds or less. I see them as being intuitive enough for just about anyone. I've never used NVIDIA's online tool for scanning my hardware and downloading the "correct" driver. In my experience these tools are slower than traditional methods and they don't always work. They are error prone. Again I've never used NVIDIA's but in general I see little to no need for that type of driver update feature within the website. Noob or not its easy as hell just to pick your card and download the right driver. And really you don't even need to be that accurate about that. The drivers are mostly unified and support most card models made within the last 3 or 4 years. This is something both ATI and NVIDIA have done for several years now. All you really need to know is what OS you are running. If you can't figure that out, then you probably shouldn't be messing with driver updates in the first place.

They are both designed almost exactly the same, I thought the site might of been updated since a week ago so I went again to check and its still the same as it has been for the last year...

So yea why is AMD so hard?
 
I honestly decided to try the new 10.7a drivers.

Same OpenGL issues. (Quake Live etc.)

Risen, don't get me started.

Rolled back to 10.4a. All is well again.

(No, I'm not trolling, I just spent the last hour dealing with this BS so I guess I'm ranting)
 
10.7 vanilla drivers are a little glitchy on my setup. I probably need to reload my system...
 
I also had an AGP 9800 and I had no problems like that! I loved that good ol card too :)
 
Yup, my old one is still working quite nicely in my friends rig downstairs. (My old rig.)

Works great for the kids games. Would be hard pressed to do anything I like now-a-days.
 
I love the lack of reading comprehension, drivel? Point out where I said or claimed Nvidia's drivers were bad, or when I called anyone an idiot? (You can't)

None of it is in there and yes my point still stands that a majority of the "ATI drivers SUCK!" responces comes from people who have never actually used their hardware.

Or never did a clean driver install.

Its spoken/spewed alot from people who really have no idea of anything related to actual driver/hardware performance.

These people will give you futuremark scores as proof of performance.
The contempt you both hold towards anyone who claims problems with ATI drivers is patently evident in your own comments. Instead of offering something helpful, you choose to insult. The fact that neither of you seem to understand what you type makes further interaction pointless. :rolleyes:
 
The contempt you both hold towards anyone who claims problems with ATI drivers is patently evident in your own comments. Instead of offering something helpful, you choose to insult. The fact that neither of you seem to understand what you type makes further interaction pointless. :rolleyes:

Exactly, why would ATI users complain for the sake of trolling?

I LOVE my 5850 (when the drivers behave).

That's why I'm still on 10.4
 
Notice half the people on here that have had some issue or another are still on 10.4 or 10.5
I always end up going back to 10.4. The last driver that worked for me. Heck the last driver 10.7a that i just tried. My monitor in my eyefinity group just decided to go into power save mode and didn't want to come out of it. Went back to trusty o'l 10.4
 
Yeah 10.5a even had my lowly single 5850 singing much nicer songs then 10.7. in Arma 2 OA I get over double performance in some scenarios, but never less then 25%, quite astonishing.
 
I guess Kyle has basically confirmed the current state of drivers for ATI, at least CFX. Sounds to me single is OK, but ATI needs to get the act together for CFX. When your spending over $500 this kinda crap should not be happening. I can't wait to hear what they have to say to Kyle about whats going on.
 
I honestly decided to try the new 10.7a drivers.

Same OpenGL issues. (Quake Live etc.)

Risen, don't get me started.

Rolled back to 10.4a. All is well again.

(No, I'm not trolling, I just spent the last hour dealing with this BS so I guess I'm ranting)

The 10.7a fixed the issue's with QuakeLive for me. I have not tested any other OpenGL apps. I will check out Morrowind Graphics Extender some time soon. 10.7 and 10.7a have been good for me.
 
The contempt you both hold towards anyone who claims problems with ATI drivers is patently evident in your own comments. Instead of offering something helpful, you choose to insult. The fact that neither of you seem to understand what you type makes further interaction pointless. :rolleyes:

I love the roll eyes, reminds me of my 6 year old neice. I also love the use of contempt, how did you manage to read my emotions over a block of text with out any use of faces? It seems like you are butt hurt.

I still never made ANY mention of what ever it is you thought I said and you still have yet to explain why these invisible words made it into my post.

Try this instead, stop adding words into other people's post, you MAY have an arguement.
 
A fair amount of issues I've had with the ATI drivers have been solved, but there are still some weird issues with mouse jitter/stuttering and vsync that simple didn't happen with my Nvidia hardware.
 
I guess Kyle has basically confirmed the current state of drivers for ATI, at least CFX. Sounds to me single is OK, but ATI needs to get the act together for CFX. When your spending over $500 this kinda crap should not be happening. I can't wait to hear what they have to say to Kyle about whats going on.

Single GPU and dual GPU configurations are fine with ATI/AMD. However when you step up to two and three GPUs, things change dramatically.
 
what i'm noticing with CFX is that the state they are currently is pretty much the same upon release with very minor speed increases, while nvidia was more focused on multi GPU support, especially 3+
 
Back
Top