ATi Control Center

gsboriqua

Gawd
Soooo, anyone installed it yet? I'm downloading them now 43 MB for just the control panel! :eek:

I was mistaken the whole thing including driver is 43 mb. Its a little sluggish and there aren't seperate open GL/directx settings. I guess thats where the profiles come into play.

It seems I lost the control panel somehow. Now it tells me no ati driver installed. I've reinstalled multiple times to no avail. :confused:

i just downloaded and installed the new catalyst control center after reading the article. after the installation and reboot windows starts up and i get a error saying:

cli.exe application error
the application failed to intialize properly (0xc0000135).

anyone else having these problems?

its over-rated... all settings available in it can already be modified through the current control panel. The preview window is somewhat helpful, but if you don't know what basic graphics settings do you probably shouldnt be messing with them anyways. I just think its a gimmic to sell more of their graphics cards to less tech-savvy people.

It's slow, buggy, and basically just a big damn advertisement for ATI. :mad: I feel so let down...

well the dual monitor settings were handy, but I can't get working again. It worked fine upon initial install, but after another reboot, I get the no ATi drivers found warning (using 4.8's)

albiorix said:
i just downloaded and installed the new catalyst control center after reading the article. after the installation and reboot windows starts up and i get a error saying:

you need .net framework you can get it here

thx for the link. thought i might have had it since it didnt show up with windows update. also figured they would have included it in sp2

i got rid of it. i like having my seperate OGL and D3D tabs. the new one just seems more visually better than having better content

is ATI switching to ACC completely in the future or will they still have the seperate ATI Control Panel + driver pack available?

What I want to know is how to the gd damned thing to fucking run!! I have double-clicked on the dektop icon, right clicked on the desktop and choose it, went to start>programs>aticontrolcenter, and right-clicked the systray icon and chose it from there, but not a damn thing ever happened. I tried all that again after doing the restart runtime thing. Cmon ATI if you cant get drivers to render OGL any better at least have a control panel that actually launches!!

And yes I have .Net 1.1 installed.

Make sure you install the Service Pack 1 for .NET 1.1. I kind of like the new Control Panel, no problems yet.

albiorix said:

it tells me the exact same thing

Having to install the .Net framework just to make this thing work sends up a big red flag that this is some crap/bloatware/shiny bauble for idiots/garbage that you want to avoid like the plague. :eek:

Ravenrex said:
Having to install the .Net framework just to make this thing work sends up a big red flag that this is some crap/bloatware/shiny bauble for idiots/garbage that you want to avoid like the plague. :eek:
:rolleyes: . There are some very viable reasons for .NET framework.

Works fine on my ATI Mobility Radeon 9600-equipped laptop (running Omega Cat. 4.7 drivers). I forgot about the .NET framework though, and was thinking the software just wouldn't work on Mobility Radeons at first.

Well after installing .net 1.1 SP1 I will actuallylaunch until I hit the No Preview settings in the program, then it just locks up and does nothing.

That's what I want more Microsoft garbage on my machine. Screw you ATI you had something good with the Catalyst drivers, now we need that .NET shit just to use your drivers? They can't leave well enough alone, well all can say is: hello Nvidia goodbye ATI :mad:

.Net is only need for the new control panel. The older control panel is still available and im sure they will probably continue to do it this way for a while.

the next few windows OS's will be based on the .NET framework... They're probably going to phase out the current control panel in favor of the new one once Longhorn is released... this is more a glimpse of whats to come.

gsboriqua said:
well the dual monitor settings were handy, but I can't get working again. It worked fine upon initial install, but after another reboot, I get the no ATi drivers found warning (using 4.8's)

same damn thing, i wiped everything ati related from my system, installed net framework which i avoided for months, and then installed the unified 43meg package. it will not run on my fully updated win2k 9600pro system.

it sucks, added 4 processes to start up. (two copies of 2 programs). asks for internet access constantly, (CLI.EXE is attempting to use CLI.EXE to access the internet. lmao)
added approximately 43 megs of startup crap. and i still can get it to run so i can disable the CCC aspect. i hate it.

I really do not like how slow it is. If you use the system skin... it is much much faster.

I think its a good idea, but it needs more work before I will really like it.

Ocean said:
same damn thing, i wiped everything ati related from my system, installed net framework which i avoided for months, and then installed the unified 43meg package. it will not run on my fully updated win2k 9600pro system.

it sucks, added 4 processes to start up. (two copies of 2 programs). asks for internet access constantly, (CLI.EXE is attempting to use CLI.EXE to access the internet. lmao)
added approximately 43 megs of startup crap. and i still can get it to run so i can disable the CCC aspect. i hate it.

I think thats a bug. Kill both CLI.EXE's then go to start->All Programs->ATI Control Center->Advanced and click Restart Runtime. I had the hardest time getting it to work up until that....No problems now.

As for the .NET framework, isn't that just the new development tool for Windows, basically the replacement to visual basic C++? Why are people bitching about that?

I'm less than impressed with the Control Center. For starters, it adds a long time to the boot time on my PC. Second, I like to change settings for OpenGL and D3D seperately since I play SOF2 on OpenGL and like to turn the settings up to max and play BFV on D3D and like to leave them balanced. Third, I like to have the control panel where it was....not having to have a seperate window open. This is all too bad since when I read Hard|OCP's review, I was all excited about it just to be disapointed by the "bloated" size of it among the other things I listed.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
I think that ATI did a major screwup when they decided to rewrite their Control Center and us Microsoft .NET 1.1. I'm a programmer and let me tell you that you don't want to load the .NET crap on your PC. It a major resource hog. It will eat up your memory and slow your system down to a crawl. ATI should be shot for doing this.

I have been an ATI fan for the past two years. I read several weeks ago about the new Control Center using .NET and I decided then it's time to switch over to the Nvidia brand.

Two weeks ago I bought an eVGA 6800 GT to replace my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I'm very satisfied with the switch and I recommend you do the same. ATI has let me down and I may never go back to an ATI product. Sorry ATI but you did it not me.

Dan Spears
Atlanta, Georgia

Intel Pentium 4 3.0C GHz Northwood (Overclocking to 3.3 GHz)
Asus P4C800 Deluxe (Bio’s 1016)
Corsair 1 Gig XMS PC-3500C2 Platinum 2/512 MB @ 2-3-3-6 8
eVGA Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT (Overclocking to 400/1.10 GHz Driver 61.77)
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Gamer
2 Western Digital 120 GB (7,200 RPM - 8 MB Cache)
Antec True Power 550 Watts
CD-R Burner - Lite-On 52x24x52x LTR-52246 Black
DVD Burner - Pioneer 8x DVR-107D Black
Swiftech MCX-4000B Heatsink with Thermaltake Smart Fan II @4600 RPM
Chieftec Black Dragon Tower, Side Window and 5 Antec 80mm Case Fans
Round Vantec 133 IDE Cables Black
Windows XP Pro SP2

So you bought a new card because ATi released a FREE piece of software that is OPTIONAL wether or not you use it?

I agree with you. I am not going to use it for the reasons I stated above, but I am for sure not going to go out and spend another $400 dollars on a new video card of a different brand to spite them. Now that is just plain crazy.

.NET isn't all that bad

plus Longhorn is based on it so tough.

It is slow and it is buggy and not really ready for release imo. but its certainly got possibilites

I installed it, but it BSODs when I click the advance tab in the Display Settings. This was a total waste of time.

PruBowl300 said:
I installed it, but it BSODs when I click the advance tab in the Display Settings. This was a total waste of time.

I had the same problem. This is because of RadLinker. Uninstall RadLinker and it should work fine. When you click the Advanced tab, you get the same thing you get when your right click the desktop and select Control Center, so your not missing anything.

I read over at Anandtech that this thing takes 60 to 70 megs of extra memory, but ATi said it is designed to release it if another app needs it.

The problem I still have with it is that the Wizzard button doesn't work for me to set up multi-displays. I click it and I get a couple of flickers and nothing.

Geez,all this ATI bashing just because they are giving you an alternative to the regular control panel.For one thing it's free,also no one is forcing you to use it and anyone that decides on a video card based on that is just as silly as someone buying a video card for just one game.And for your information,like someone stated above, I believe I read that.net framework is going to be a big part of MS's next OS which is why ATI decided to use it so if you don't like it you definantly won't want anything to do with Longhorn.

Where is the "VSYNC Slider" that is mentioned in The Hard-OCP review?
They say it is in the "no preview" window, but I must be blind because I can't see it on my computer or on their screen shot.

I for one will be sticking with the old control panel for a while since I have a problem with my monitor's refresh rates dating back to cat 3.6 which only the monitor tab could fix.

The problem is windows always detects my monitor as a "default monitor" whenever I update the drivers, so the drivers decide to lock my monitor at 60Hz. The only way I can get around it is to go in the control panel's monitor tab and adjust the max refresh rate. Unfortunately, the new control panel detects my Multisync 97F as "default monitor" and gives me no option to set the max refresh rate.

I'm kinda SOL for now I think. The other problem is I don't want .NET installed on my system. It's something I will never use for any other program.

it is slow which is anoying... the only reason I'm keeping it is cause I like the having he profiles in my tray like that

BUT speaking of profiles it deleted all of my profiles from the normal control panel....... and there is still now way (that I have found) to backup your profiles... I havea different one for each game...........

For now, the control center is a piece of junk. After installing it, I can no longer go into desktop properties -> advanced. It now gives me a fatal exception error every time i do. It also resets my 1024x768 resolution (the res i play in most games) to 60hz, and that drives me NUTS because i can tell the difference from running at 60hz and 100hz on my monitor. They need to do some more debugging before they can call this a success

Back