ATI Catalyst 9.11

I'll never buy ATI again after all the BS I've gone through with this 5870 and their crummy Win 7 drivers

Lol!!
See this is what i've said for a while, ATi suck at drivers. Yet i still come crawling back.

Does this fix the performance issues that exsit with Defense Grid : The awakening? (happens on XP 32bit only)

Game crawls to less than 10 fps. It has been bunk since about CAT 9.6.

I've gone through most of the betas and leaked drivers and I haven't encountered any showstopping issues. No desktop crashes and no awkward game behavior. (Knocks on all types of wood)

I know RE5 gets a blank screen with AA enabled during cut scenes and that was it. I haven't even noticed bad performance in NFS Shift, and I've raced all the tracks.

On C2D x48 4870 XP32

My install went kind of odd where towards the end desktop and the install dialog box got cut up and shifted to the left. Then on Hardocp the text become distorted on a single line, the screen blanked out and I had my first (that I can remember) VPU recovery. Went back to 9.10.

I'll never buy ATI again after all the BS I've gone through with this 5870 and their crummy Win 7 drivers

Same honestly.. I like my 5870 but the drivers are terrible. I owned a 9800 Pro and it seems they've only got marginally better on the software side of things since then :( Things like the Borderlands texture bug not fixed in 9.11 is inexcusable. Yes I know you can disable Catalyst AI but still.. fiddling with things like this make my experience with the card less than enjoyable. With Nvidia it always seems like things just work, and if there's a problem with a game it's usually down to my own configuration settings. I've also ran into random crashes on certain games even though m y hardware seems fine - ran Furmark for an hour with no issue. Maybe I've just had bad luck I dunno. I just felt I've spent more time working around driver issues than playing games with this card.

I hope things get better in 9.12 otherwise I might just sell this card in anticipation for Fermi..

Well, I have absolutely no issues with my 4890, even in Borderlands *shrug* It's actually better with alt+tabbing out of some games than my GTX260. Must be something to do with precaching.

Lol!!
See this is what i've said for a while, ATi suck at drivers. Yet i still come crawling back.

It's not like Nvidia never has issues with new cards too. I remember on GF2 driver when it was first released it couldn't even display Agent usenet reader correctly.

It's not like Nvidia never has issues with new cards too. I remember on GF2 driver when it was first released it couldn't even display Agent usenet reader correctly.

Nvidia does have its issues, I agree, but they get things fixed way quicker than ATI. At least from my experience.

Nvidia definately has their share of issues and they don't always fix things in a timely manner. I can say that both camps have thier share of driver issues and I can't say one is better than the other, having owned quite a few cards from both manufacturers and watching the bulletin boards for both sides regardless of my current card.

Not having any issues since I've got my 5870, with these drivers or the ones before it. ATI has had some issues in the past but they've improved quite a bit (and I've only mostly Nvidia for 6 generations, minus a 3850 for two days).

Grrr, ATi still hasn't fixed overclocking with more than one monitor glitch.

When I increase the core clock by even 1 MHz, my second monitor goes black. With the 9.11 beta, it would just randomly blink/flash until I went back to stock clocks.

:(

I keep getting this in my Win 7 action center:
"Address a problem with ATI Graphics Driver
ATI Graphics Driver has stopped working properly.

A driver update, if available, might prevent this problem from recurring.

There are several ways of locating and installing driver updates, but it is best to let Windows do this for you. Try the first step below, which describes the process. If it doesn't produce a driver update that solves the problem, then try the remaining steps in the order given.

"

Anyone else seeing this with 9.11? Running a 5850

No Action Center messages here. I just fired up Resident Evil 5 and I can run DX10+8xAA and still see the cut scenes! Yay!

Can somebody tell me where where the monitor scaling option is located? I would like to try out having the card do the scaling vs my LCD.

THat VPU recover error may due to not enough volatage or just crap driver. I started up a video in Win7 one day on 9.10 driver and the 5870 fan went full speed and got the vpu revover deal, go check video card in CC and see it was now running at 99% core speed instead of idle speed it should have been running at. I saw that happen a few times and had to log off/on to fix it. Haven't had it since changing out mb and to i5 processor on 9.11 drivers so hope it was purely a driver issue.

There is an issue with the LCD scaling too, you get to it by going to Desktop & Displays in CC then selct the drop down arrow for the monitor at the bottom of the screen and then select configure. The problem is that the option to change scaling is greyed out even though I am using DVI connection and I asked about it at Guru3D and was told you have to select a lower resolution for it to become changable. I selected 1280x800 res and could then change the option, after you mnake the chanbge you can go back to your native LCD res and the monitor wil scale in future as according to which option you selected. That's weird because there was no such issue with my 4870 but there is with 5870.

Same here. Not one issue. All my games run perfect without a problem. I haven't had a single issue with any of Ati's drivers. Its all luck of the draw....

I was starting to get an enormous amount of bsods...a couple daily with 9.10. Installed 9.11 and none so far.

They still have not fixed the dual monitor bug when overclocking, where it does not keep the clocks at their dual monitor rate (when idle) if you've overclocked at all, causing the second screen to flicker as the result of doing just about anything.

My new XFX 5850 is causing my system to restart every few minutes. If I go into Catalyst and do things like cut on the video demo it "Black Screens" my PC and restarts it without an error screen. I thought it was the Nvidia video drivers from my 9800 GTX causing it so I reformatted my HD and am in the process of updating Vista 64 as I yet type this. With no drivers installed but the basic MS ones that came with Vista 64, it does the same thing. It did it with a full install and SP2 updated before.

Very very annoying bugs. I'm not angry, just feel I wasted my time reformatting my HD in hopes that a clean install would remedy it. Anyone have a link for the 9.10's? I'm on IE7 with 0 hotfixes so I kinda want to stick to reputable sites until Vista finishes patching :).

I played Aion yesterday for 8 hours straight and had 0 problems, then left the PC on last night and woke up to "sleep mode" crash. As in I moved the mouse, everything was fine, then 10 mins later black screen restart. After that the login screen for Vista has lines running through it like an old videogame's scanlines, and crashes every 3 - 5 minutes.

I'm surprised it allowed me to type this without black screen restarting :).

Cagey

THat VPU recover error may due to not enough volatage or just crap driver. I started up a video in Win7 one day on 9.10 driver and the 5870 fan went full speed and got the vpu revover deal, go check video card in CC and see it was now running at 99% core speed instead of idle speed it should have been running at. I saw that happen a few times and had to log off/on to fix it. Haven't had it since changing out mb and to i5 processor on 9.11 drivers so hope it was purely a driver issue.

There is an issue with the LCD scaling too, you get to it by going to Desktop & Displays in CC then selct the drop down arrow for the monitor at the bottom of the screen and then select configure. The problem is that the option to change scaling is greyed out even though I am using DVI connection and I asked about it at Guru3D and was told you have to select a lower resolution for it to become changable. I selected 1280x800 res and could then change the option, after you mnake the chanbge you can go back to your native LCD res and the monitor wil scale in future as according to which option you selected. That's weird because there was no such issue with my 4870 but there is with 5870.
LCD Scaling will not enable for me no matter what. Grrrr. Option is greyed out. I have the same problem with Nvidia drivers and cards as well. I wonder if there's something about my monitor that prevents it from being enabled?

Hmm... OC'd the PCI Exp lanes and it stopped crashing! Went from 100 (stock) to 125 just on a whim. 0 crashes since then, but I'm only at SP1 so far on my install. Which is one helluva improvement over crashes every 3-5 mins :).

WTB faster internet where I live!

I finally upgraded my drivers to Catalyst 9.11 because of the crashes the previous version was causing (faulting module atiumdag.dll, version 7.14.10.636), just to find that the custom fan speed profiles no longer support fan speeds lower than 32%?!

I used to use 24% for Desktop stuff (quiet, don't care if it's 70C), and 44% for gaming. I have tried The Google but didn't come up with a solution on how to quiet this card down further.

My profile still reads 24% for Desktop, it's just that the fan speed does not actually change at all when I activate that profile. Sigh ...

I finally upgraded my drivers to Catalyst 9.11 because of the crashes the previous version was causing (faulting module atiumdag.dll, version 7.14.10.636), just to find that the custom fan speed profiles no longer support fan speeds lower than 32%?!

I used to use 24% for Desktop stuff (quiet, don't care if it's 70C), and 44% for gaming. I have tried The Google but didn't come up with a solution on how to quiet this card down further.

My profile still reads 24% for Desktop, it's just that the fan speed does not actually change at all when I activate that profile. Sigh ...

Sounds like a problem with the profiles and/or the driver install didn't work completely because my 4870x2's fan on WinXP 9.11 works just fine, I suggest trying a reinstall if you haven't already and if that doesn't work aquire Driver Cleaner http://www.drivercleaner.net/ and clean out the drivers completely and reinstall, always works for me.

I keep getting this in my Win 7 action center:

Anyone else seeing this with 9.11? Running a 5850

I get the same message, every day. When I look at the event viewer, it shows a Display error early in the boot process, "The graphic driver stopped working and recovered successfully". My Sapphire 5850 works mostly fine after that

Still bothersome to get that message every day. I also used to get the GPU randomly going to 99% load while doing nothing in the desktop. I am seeing less of it recently. I turn-off the computer now, instead of leaving it sleeping over night. I am not sure if that is the reason or just a coincidence

So I'm getting my first ever ATI card (5850) in a couple of days, and these threads have me wondering what is the best set of drivers to install on Win7-64? I'm getting an XFX Black Edition that is "overclocked." Does this just mean the drivers they bundle it have it pre-set for higher clock speeds? Are they different than the ones I could download from ATI?

I'm already planning on disabling the HDMI Audio Driver as mentioned in the grey-screen lockup thread to hopefully alleviate any potential issues. Any other advice? I know nothing about Catalyst drivers, as I've always had NVidia cards up until now. (If it matters, my system is a Dell XPS 420 with Q6600).

^ Don't fix it if it ain't broke. Install 9.11 and see if there even ARE issues that you need to fix.

Back