ATI 780G in Server 2008 (1080p) *HELP*

annaconda

[H]F Junkie
I have installed Windows 2008 on my 780G motherboard, but when i play 1080p files CPU load is 100% and does not play properly

CoreAVC Codec is installed
K-Lite Codec
Windows Media Player Classic
VLC
ATI 9.9 Drivers

But nothing can play the MKV 1080P files properly, looks like the 780G hardware acceleration is not working but dxdiag shows

Direct X features are enable;

Untitled862.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Last edited:
Well its because you have way to much software installed and its probably configured incorrectly.

CoreAVC is a software decoder (decoding done on the CPU) and a hardware decoder ONLY if you have a Nvidia GPU (which you do not). Since you want hardware decoding, ditch CoreAVC, its isn't helping you at all.

K-Lite codec pack.... sigh.... Uninstall that crap ASAP.

AFAIK, its no longer called Windows Media Player Classic... And the regular MPC is kinda useless now with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema. Uninstall that ASAP as well.

Now, once you have done all that, download a recent build of Media Player Classic - HomeCinema from HERE. That is ALL you need.

That will come pre-configured for hardware acceleration right from the get-go. To check if hardware acceleration (DXVA) is being used, while a video is playing, right click the screen and go to Filters > MPC Video Decoder.

I have it already, thats what i meant when i said Media player classic

Untitled3.jpg

Also check the MPC Video Decoder, and DXVA is not using.

Untitled4.jpg

Is that from when you are playing a file?

The status changes then. (well, for me it does).

Keep CoreAVC (incase you can't get hardware acceleration working) but use Revo Uninstaller to wipe out K-Lite, they might as well consider that a virus. ;)

I'm assuming you have everything in Internal filters checked and nothing in external filters?

O, and uninstall the x64 version and install the x86 version. You're not gaining anything by using the x64 version except for possibly problems and since it isn't working, you can afford to do anything at this point.

O, and uninstall the x64 version and install the x86 version. You're not gaining anything by using the x64 version except for possibly problems and since it isn't working, you can afford to do anything at this point.

Did not made any difference, used 32bit same problem i can play the file but sound is faster than video, completely out of sync

If you do 3D animation, the render flow means the same thing:
How a scene (or input file) is processed and rendered by the computer (or in your case, the GPU [by the time were done fixing it]).

I spend 3 days so far nothing works the only thing which able to play 1080p fine was BS player :)

Yeah BS Player can play 1080p with 100% cpu utilization fine, but still 100% CPU is not good idea.

The Server Win versions don't support certain playback abilities, real/proper hardware acceleration is one of them.

Ach...

I should of thought of that.

IIRC, advance video renders like VMR9 (which is mostly broken in Server) and EVR just aren't supported. Why would they be? It's suppose to be aimed at servers and it's not like servers are going to be used for media watching.

This is one of the many reasons why Server OSes are discouraged.

Isn't there a way to convert a Server (2008) install into a usaable workstation?
(aero, gaming, etc).
I saw it somewhere (NOT [h], about a year ago, before 7Beta,when 2008's lower resource usage made doing this have a little bit of sense in it).

Not sure but I am aware of a way to "patch" media center into Server. Not worth it IMO especially when you can still get Win7 beta keys. (hint, hint)

Not media center...
Just basic gaming functionality is what I think these people were trying to do.

(besides. as past of MSDNAA, I can get some flavors of 7 for free!) + tuition

IIRC, advance video renders like VMR9 (which is mostly broken in Server) and EVR just aren't supported. Why would they be? It's suppose to be aimed at servers and it's not like servers are going to be used for media watching.

This is one of the many reasons why Server OSes are discouraged.

Well i don;t know how much this is correct, but i been using Server 2003 for the past 3 years and it was working fine playing 1080p ETC.

Looks like ATI drivers problem with Server 2008, i am using Windows 7 64bit drivers. When i installaed the drivers there were no error or warnings, and as you guys can see DXDIAG shows hardware acceleration is enable.

Isn't there a way to convert a Server (2008) install into a usaable workstation?
(aero, gaming, etc).
I saw it somewhere (NOT [h], about a year ago, before 7Beta,when 2008's lower resource usage made doing this have a little bit of sense in it).

Turn on Desktop Experience and you will get aero. And then I think you enable the theme service in the services mmc.

Maybe I missed this, but why exactly are you trying to use a server OS for an HTPC?

He's still is going to have a problem. As far as I can tell, WS2008 does not support DXVA 2.0. So while you can force hardware acceleration he's still is going to miss out on EVR acceleration, as well as some levels of DXVA acceleration for H264 support. Basically the hardware acceleration registry key brings it up to Windows XP's level of support.

How can i enable this option?

Just so you know, that button is also disabled on my win7x64 build, i think its done so that you will use the catalyst control center for all your needs.

He's still is going to have a problem. As far as I can tell, WS2008 does not support DXVA 2.0. So while you can force hardware acceleration he's still is going to miss out on EVR acceleration, as well as some levels of DXVA acceleration for H264 support. Basically the hardware acceleration registry key brings it up to Windows XP's level of support.

Which is why H264 hardware acceleration isn't fully supported in XP. Fully supported in Vista, fully supported in Win7.

Server OS HTPC = fail

yeah seriously...

why not use VMs?

this is like using a sports car for off-road racing.... doesnt work man........

Back