ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

I just don't understand what the heck is wrong with this mobo or ram. I have two G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL kits and originally this mobo (P8ZZ-V) failed to boot when all were installed (memok led glowing). Eventually I got it to boot with the other kit and flashed the newest BIOS. Then in installed all sticks and everything worked. So I though that it fixed it. Worked about two weeks and then I got BSOD and memok led glowing again. If I managed to boot, I got sheitloads of memory errors in memtest. After the first bsod the same thin happened again after one day and I had to use two sticks to get it working again.

For some reason everything seems to work with two sticks and even with four for some period of time before things go bad again. I've been trying manual settings and XMP profile, even boosting voltage a bit. This is so damn random and at times it can run memtest for ages and ages without issues. Is this some kind of BIOS issue or what?

If I test these kits individually, I can't seem to get this unstable.

EDIT:
Actually... I'm not sure if I had XMP on when I used four sticks. Now I do, let's see how long this stability lasts this time.

---
It would be killer feature if it would be possible to adjust fan speed via rpm from BIOS instead of relying on the fan expert 2 tool.

Last edited:
I use this board.
It has 6 individual fans controls. CPU + 5 (just use a 3 pin splitter to connect 2 fans to 1 MB socket.
I luv this board - I picked based on fan xpert2 and the other AISuite features.

so if i want to manage more than six fans for example 8, i have to use these splitters, but can be managed these two fans through fan xpert2?
can you give me a link from such a splitter? thanks

Hi, I have the Asus P8Z77- V Pro and was wondering how do you allocate ram to the iGPU? I have seen this option on other Bios systems but I can't find this option in Asus bios at all. My CPU is a i7-3770.

*Edit- I found it, never mind. Should have read the manual more thoroughly.

Last edited:
I've been having an issue the past week where the system just shuts off while in use. I can be just sitting there looking at a website, like I was 20 minutes ago, and the system just shuts off. The mobo is getting power because the power and reset buttons are still lit. I'll hit the case power button, nothing happens. Hold it, nothing happens. Open the case and hit the mobo power and reset buttons, nothing. Try holding the CMOS button for 5 seconds, nothing. Doesn't turn on.

So I turn my PSU off, wait for the lights to go out, waited probably 30 seconds, turn the PSU back on, and I'm able to boot the system. It wants me to go into the BIOS, so I do, hit F5 for the standard settings, even save it at that point. Went back in, only changes I've made is disabling on-board audio, BT, wifi, and realtek LAN, disabled the boot splash, and changed the wait time from 5 secs to 3. All CPU and RAM settings are at their default settings. This BTW, is the same thing I did the last it shut off on me.

When the issue started a few days ago, I went and ran IBT at maximum for 12 loops (was going to do 20, but got tired of waiting), so it was running for over an hour, no problems. After the test, I was probably just web browsing, wasn't stressing the system, and it shut off on me. Yesterday, I had the system on for 10.5 hours, played a bunch of games, no problems.

Any ideas on what I should be looking at? I'm using the 1015 BIOS that was announced before it showed up on the ASUS page, I assume they're the same?

I take it you're using the seasonic 860 that's in your sig?

This allllmost sounds like a power supply problem. I know it's a high quality PSU that you're using, but even the highest end ones can have bad apples in a bushel. Could also be that you simply got a bad board as well.

I was using 1015 on my p8z77-v pro for a few weeks with no issues at all.

Hi all.

Raja@ASUS, could you please help me with a few clarifications.

I'm about to buy a P8Z77 WS. From the video presentation (right at the end) the board seems to accept Xeon and ECC memory but from the specifications on the website this is not clear at all.

Could you confirm, deny or point me in another direction where I can find the answers whether this board:
- supports Xeon processors (like E3-1225V2)
- supports ECC memory
- supports Intel technologies VT-x and VT-d

I really like this board as apparently it can double as a home server and gaming machine, the jack of all trades.

Thanks a lot.

I've been having an issue the past week where the system just shuts off while in use...

A long time ago I had a similar problem and it turned out to be CPU-related. A BIOS update solved the problem only partially (rarer shutting downs); it went away completely when I upgraded the CPU. But it does sound more power source related in your case ...

I take it you're using the seasonic 860 that's in your sig?

This allllmost sounds like a power supply problem. I know it's a high quality PSU that you're using, but even the highest end ones can have bad apples in a bushel. Could also be that you simply got a bad board as well.

I was using 1015 on my p8z77-v pro for a few weeks with no issues at all.

Yeah, those were my most likely suspects. And it just turned off on me again, weird. Well I have my Seasonic X750 in my old system that isn't in use at the moment, I guess I'll have to rip the 860 out and see if it behaves with the 750. I'm suddenly thankful for fully modular power supplies...

So update is that it's not the PSU, it turned off using the X750. And I know it's not the cables because I found the 860's MB power cables weren't compatible with the X750, so I used the known good X750 cables plugged into the MB. Also tried a different AC cable, not that I was suspecting that, but just that I noted the cable had a good bend in it and I wasn't using a new one, so I tried a new one.

Now I'm starting to read about people having issues with their ASUS mobos turning off on them because of the anti-surge option in the BIOS. There was some talk on the XS sister-thread that made it sound like it could get triggered by too many apps polling the sensors, and I have AI Suite and AIDA running. I just re-flashed the 1015 BIOS (via EZ Flash in BIOS) using the copy off the ASUS site (reset cmos, go to defaults, only made the changes that I mentioned in previous post). Just to give it a shot, I'm going to disable the anti-surge and see if that makes a difference. Also if it still happens, I may have to try going back to the 1050 BIOS that I didn't have an issue with for the first 2 weeks to see if that changes something.

I'd really rather avoid having to tear this apart and RMA the mobo to ASUS, now that it's been over 30 days since I bought it from NE.

Keep us updated bitgod...

BTW NE may still be able to RMA if it's only a day or two over the return period (if you continue having issues). I had ant-surge enabled with no ill effects. Though I was running a i7-2600k and not a ivybridge.

This shutdown issue seems to be effecting more then just asus, but also gigabyte boards with IB cpus. The vast majority seem to think it's just a bios update away from being fixed. While others are having no issues at all with shutdowns/reboots. Almost makes me suspect the ram that some people are using. The samsung ram that you have in your sig is linked to issues that some are having as well. So if you have the extra ram to test with try that as well.

I'm personally returning my P8Z77-V Pro. Not because it's unstable, but because I'm just going all out for a LGA2011 board and i7-3820. And it should support VT-d for sure. VT-d is still somewhat of a unknown for z77 boards. Even though the IB cpus support it, vt-d isn't implemented in the BIOS of some manufactures.

Hi all,

I have the P8Z77-V Deluxe, and after upgrading to BIOS 1015 the blue Bluetooth LED stays on even if I disable Bluetooth in the BIOS.

I think the new BIOS caused the issue because when I was on 0906 I also had Bluetooth disabled and the LED was off.

Did someone else encounter the same problem?

Thanks.

Is it possible to have Fan Xpert 2 read the temperature directly from the core sensors and adjust the fans according to that? Right now it reads from the CPU sensor which shows 45 °C when CoreTemp and RealTemp report temperatures of 65 °C. The feature seems kinda useless to me when it detects way too low temperatures.

Hi all,

I have the P8Z77-V Deluxe, and after upgrading to BIOS 1015 the blue Bluetooth LED stays on even if I disable Bluetooth in the BIOS.

I think the new BIOS caused the issue because when I was on 0906 I also had Bluetooth disabled and the LED was off.

Did someone else encounter the same problem?

Thanks.

Yup, I have the same thing. My BT is disabled and the light is on. I hadn't even noticed it until yesterday because of a blue LED fan, I thought that's just what the blue light was coming from. But during one of my shutdowns, I noticed there was a blue light still on the backside.

Hi all.

Raja@ASUS, could you please help me with a few clarifications.

I'm about to buy a P8Z77 WS. From the video presentation (right at the end) the board seems to accept Xeon and ECC memory but from the specifications on the website this is not clear at all.

Could you confirm, deny or point me in another direction where I can find the answers whether this board:
- supports Xeon processors (like E3-1225V2)
- supports ECC memory
- supports Intel technologies VT-x and VT-d

I really like this board as apparently it can double as a home server and gaming machine, the jack of all trades.

Thanks a lot.

Will ask HQ for you.

Edit:

VT-d is a no for sure (so no partial VT-x).
Xeon support = yes
ECC support depends if CPU supports it.
-Raja

Last edited:
Keep us updated bitgod...

BTW NE may still be able to RMA if it's only a day or two over the return period (if you continue having issues). I had ant-surge enabled with no ill effects. Though I was running a i7-2600k and not a ivybridge.

This shutdown issue seems to be effecting more then just asus, but also gigabyte boards with IB cpus. The vast majority seem to think it's just a bios update away from being fixed. While others are having no issues at all with shutdowns/reboots. Almost makes me suspect the ram that some people are using. The samsung ram that you have in your sig is linked to issues that some are having as well. So if you have the extra ram to test with try that as well.

I'm personally returning my P8Z77-V Pro. Not because it's unstable, but because I'm just going all out for a LGA2011 board and i7-3820. And it should support VT-d for sure. VT-d is still somewhat of a unknown for z77 boards. Even though the IB cpus support it, vt-d isn't implemented in the BIOS of some manufactures.
Luckily since I decided to pretty much put a whole new system together, I have some 4x2GB Corsair Dominators I can put in if I run out of things to try. And honestly, the Samsungs are something that I hadn't started out with originally, since my original choice of a 4x4GB Corsair kit failed testing (with 2 kits), so who knows, it could be. And of course since the one time it restarted today, and after the reflash and turning off anti-surge, I've been using the system for 12 hours without a problem, playing games half the time. Who knows.

Run a stability test, keep system at stock to chase it down. Use only two memory modules for now.

-Raja

Yup, I have the same thing. My BT is disabled and the light is on. I hadn't even noticed it until yesterday because of a blue LED fan, I thought that's just what the blue light was coming from. But during one of my shutdowns, I noticed there was a blue light still on the backside.

Thanks for the confirmation. I hope a fix is released soon, the light is pretty annoying at night.

Thanks for the confirmation. I hope a fix is released soon, the light is pretty annoying at night.

Ok, now this is getting weird. I just looked up at it (computer is facing me sideways) and the light isn't on. Go closer to check, covered the fan outlet so the case light wouldn't be there, yup, it's off. I'll keep an eye on it, looks intermittent.

I just don't understand what the heck is wrong with this mobo or ram. I have two G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL kits and originally this mobo (P8ZZ-V) failed to boot when all were installed (memok led glowing). Eventually I got it to boot with the other kit and flashed the newest BIOS. Then in installed all sticks and everything worked. So I though that it fixed it. Worked about two weeks and then I got BSOD and memok led glowing again. If I managed to boot, I got sheitloads of memory errors in memtest. After the first bsod the same thin happened again after one day and I had to use two sticks to get it working again.

For some reason everything seems to work with two sticks and even with four for some period of time before things go bad again. I've been trying manual settings and XMP profile, even boosting voltage a bit. This is so damn random and at times it can run memtest for ages and ages without issues. Is this some kind of BIOS issue or what?

If I test these kits individually, I can't seem to get this unstable.

EDIT:
Actually... I'm not sure if I had XMP on when I used four sticks. Now I do, let's see how long this stability lasts this time.

---
It would be killer feature if it would be possible to adjust fan speed via rpm from BIOS instead of relying on the fan expert 2 tool.
I don't know what to really do right now... It does keep BSODing when I use four sticks no matter what settings. I'm trying to find out what stick is causing this but it is pretty random, though today I had three bsods when I had 4 sticks in. Sigh... Either this mobo hates fours stick or there's one bad stick somewhere.

Ok, now this is getting weird. I just looked up at it (computer is facing me sideways) and the light isn't on. Go closer to check, covered the fan outlet so the case light wouldn't be there, yup, it's off. I'll keep an eye on it, looks intermittent.

My light is still on, doesn't matter if I disable or enable the Bluetooth controller in the BIOS. Pretty weird.

I thought my shutoff issue may have been cured with the anti-surge disabled, it went almost 24 hours on Sunday and Monday before it shut off again this morning. So I'm still tweaking things, trying to unchange things that changed around the time the issue started. Another thing I had done around that time was added a RAM fan, more for bling than the Samsung needing cooling, and moved a few fan connections around, so I may try putting them back. Really trying to avoid RMAing :)

BTW, blue BT light is still off at this point. I know for sure it was on because I noticed it one of the times my system shut down.

Raja - Ok, went ahead and pulled 2 sticks out, testing now. Had the computer shut off on me once today, before I did that. 1 odd thing to note, and ...well I'd think it's coincidence, but 3 times is a bit odd...I know 3 of the times my system has shut off, it was around 1230pm my time. (today it was at 1235). Now I'm not seeing any "quitting windows" messages as if an app was shutting down the system, it's just straight turning off. And an app wouldn't require me to power off the PSU before being able to restart the system. And I've seen times when it doesn't go off at 1230. I was watching for it yesterday in case it did it, and it didn't. Today I wasn't thinking about it and off it went.

So, we'll see what happens this time.

What happens if you don't use two drives (port multiplier)?

I tested this last night (removed one of the drives from the enclosure physically). The exact same behaviour occurs:

1) Boot with enclosure on - drive appears in Windows
2) Boot with enclosure off and power on - drive does not appear
3) Boot with enclosure on, power cycle in Windows - drive does not re-appear in Windows

Any idea what it might be? Using Intel RST if I didn't already mention it.

Any update on this from last week Raja? I also ensured that write-caching was disabled on the two drives in the external eSATA enclosure and no change.

Thanks

Any update on this from last week Raja? I also ensured that write-caching was disabled on the two drives in the external eSATA enclosure and no change.

Thanks

Some kind of driver issue with the enclosure attached I think. No word from HQ other than this is driver level.

-Raja

Raja - Ok, went ahead and pulled 2 sticks out, testing now. Had the computer shut off on me once today, before I did that. 1 odd thing to note, and ...well I'd think it's coincidence, but 3 times is a bit odd...I know 3 of the times my system has shut off, it was around 1230pm my time. (today it was at 1235). Now I'm not seeing any "quitting windows" messages as if an app was shutting down the system, it's just straight turning off. And an app wouldn't require me to power off the PSU before being able to restart the system. And I've seen times when it doesn't go off at 1230. I was watching for it yesterday in case it did it, and it didn't. Today I wasn't thinking about it and off it went.

So, we'll see what happens this time.

If the frequency of events changes with fewer modules then it will come down to what the IMC can handle when 4 modules are inserted. Possibly need to make some timing adjustments.

I have the same random shutoff issue on my P8Z77-V though power button does
turn the computer off.

Every 24-48 hrs screen goes black and when I reboot I get Win safe vs regular
mode msg. Sometimes its accompanied by a fan spinning up to a very high rpm.
I have no idea if it’s a cpu or Cha fan. I did notice that sometimes after startup
Cha fan spins below 600 rpm ( in BIOS ) until it stabilizes around 800 rpm.
All fan settings are default with no FanXpert installed.

To be fair, this only happens while gaming, WoW. I’ve yet to see this
problem appear during any other daily task.

System passes 4-6 hrs of Prime95 small fft + memory tests.
I ran both at stock as well as OC @ 4.5 GHz
No issues with temps, in mid - high 60s at full load.
All drivers are up to date.

I7 2700K
P8Z77 V
Noctua NH - D14
2 x 8 gb GSkill ram 8-8-8-24 @ 1600
128 gb Crucial M4 SSD
Sapphire hd 7870 2gb
Seasonic X750 psu
Corsair 550D
Win 7 Home Premium

Any info is much appreciated
Macro

I have the same random shutoff issue on my P8Z77-V though power button does
turn the computer off.

Every 24-48 hrs screen goes black and when I reboot I get Win safe vs regular
mode msg. Sometimes its accompanied by a fan spinning up to a very high rpm.
I have no idea if it’s a cpu or Cha fan. I did notice that sometimes after startup
Cha fan spins below 600 rpm ( in BIOS ) until it stabilizes around 800 rpm.
All fan settings are default with no FanXpert installed.

To be fair, this only happens while gaming, WoW. I’ve yet to see this
problem appear during any other daily task.

System passes 4-6 hrs of Prime95 small fft + memory tests.
I ran both at stock as well as OC @ 4.5 GHz
No issues with temps, in mid - high 60s at full load.
All drivers are up to date.

I7 2700K
P8Z77 V
Noctua NH - D14
2 x 8 gb GSkill ram 8-8-8-24 @ 1600
128 gb Crucial M4 SSD
Sapphire hd 7870 2gb
Seasonic X750 psu
Corsair 550D
Win 7 Home Premium

Any info is much appreciated
Macro

A few things:

1) update to latest UEFI version if need be.

2) Use only one memory module to debug for a while.

3) update SSD to latest FW if not done already.

4) Check cooling in case and augment if need be - gaming heat load from GPU will be different from Prime etc.

-Raja

SeaSonic USA S12-600
ASUS P8z77-V Pro
Intel i5 3570K
G.SKILL F3-1866C9D-8GAB

This install is for a MB/CPU/RAM upgrade.

After installing the MB and all connections I attempted to power on, but instead of reaching a POST, the CPU LED turns red while the CPU and power supply fans begin to spin up but for less than a second. The system continues to do this power-cycle continuously.

I then detached all components other than CPU/RAM/CPU fan/and wireless adapter (because it's a bloody nuisance to unscrew from under the board) - including case connectors like power/reset/and speaker, and the same power cycle with red CPU light reoccurs.

I checked the seat of the CPU, CPU heat sink, and RAM - no difference, still the same power cycling.

Of other notes:
The power LED is a continuous green when the power supply is switched on.
The power (cycling) begins when the PW SW is jumped and released. The power cycling is not interrupted when the PWSW is jumped and released (a second time), the power cycling does halt after the PWSW is jumped and held for four seconds or more (but it does cycle while holding until those four seconds are reached).
Grounding issues have been searched for and not found. The power cycling occurs when the MB is placed perpendicular to the chassis (i.e. no contact possible on bottom of board).

This feels like a component is DOA (possibly CPU?) but I'd like to try a few more things before initiating a RMA (because I've never had a CPU or MB ever arrive dead, and it feels strange that either could slip through QC at such a low level problem).

What other components apart from the above do you have plugged in? Using the iGPU I take it?

I would use a single memory module and clear CMOS with the CPU removed. Use mouse and keyboard on USB only (no other peripherals). If that does not encourage POST when put back together then flash to the latest BIOS using a FAT32 formatted flash drive with USB BIOS Flashback. No POST after that lot, and I would suggest RMA.

-Raja

Hi Raja

Thx for your time, all valid points.

UEFI is 0906 which is the latest for P8Z77-V atm.
Cpu gaming temps are in the 40's C
7870 gaming temps are in mid 50s C
I’m using 4 fans for Cha cooling which is max 550D allows.
SSD firmware is apparently 1 version back.
Ram is suspect. If I can 1 module without having to remount Noctua I will.

It sounds like a Win crash in my case but the frequency of it,
how it happens and when is exactly like what Bitgod describes.

Idk, in my mind it’s a heat / power issue.
Could it be as simple as a corrupted WoW install? If it is - it shouldn’t
take Win down with it.

This is more of a WS then a gaming PC but I’d still like to resolve this
problem. Thx again, I’ll keep you updated.
Macro

Last edited:
What other components apart from the above do you have plugged in? Using the iGPU I take it?

I would use a single memory module and clear CMOS with the CPU removed. Use mouse and keyboard on USB only (no other peripherals). If that does not encourage POST when put back together then flash to the latest BIOS using a FAT32 formatted flash drive with USB BIOS Flashback. No POST after that lot, and I would suggest RMA.

-Raja

When I performed the low level test I had no peripherals attached (no monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc...). I will attempt to clear the CMOS without the CPU this evening. And if that does not work I will try to flash to the latest BIOS (although at the moment it doesn't seem to power on long enough to do so).

Should the single memory module be in the user guide's recommended position of a single module, or in the port furthest from the CPU? I've heard both.

Can I flash the BIOS without the CPU (i.e. do the microcontrollers on the MB need a CPU for that level of a process)?

Some kind of driver issue with the enclosure attached I think. No word from HQ other than this is driver level.

-Raja

Thanks for looking into it. I assume you mean problem with the ASMedia SATA driver? As the enclosure itself does not have a software layer in the OS (SATA passthrough).

I'll post on Mediasonic's forum and see if they have tested their products with Asus Z77 yet.

Update - Well, it turned off again using 2 modules. AND around the usual suspect time. I wasn't in front of the computer when it went off, but I turned it on at noon and came back at 1245 and it was off. Most of the other times, I've usually turned it on around 11am, so it's not something that just happens in the first hour, per se. My computer was fine for 13 hours yesterday after pulling the other 2 RAM modules.

Off the top of my head, the only 3 other things I can think of trying are 1) try the other 2 modules, 2) revert to the 1050 BIOS 3) Remove the extra fan and put them connections back the way they were. (I'm just thinking of things that had changed around the time this started)

I think I'll do the 1050 BIOS now and test it, since that's the least effort.

When I performed the low level test I had no peripherals attached (no monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc...). I will attempt to clear the CMOS without the CPU this evening. And if that does not work I will try to flash to the latest BIOS (although at the moment it doesn't seem to power on long enough to do so).

Should the single memory module be in the user guide's recommended position of a single module, or in the port furthest from the CPU? I've heard both.

Can I flash the BIOS without the CPU (i.e. do the microcontrollers on the MB need a CPU for that level of a process)?

Furthest slot is generally best.

For USB BIOS flashback the board does not need to POST, the flash is performed in standby. You don't need a CPU or memory installed for USB BIOS flashback either.

-Raja

Welp, it shutdown again on 2 sticks and 1050. I've gone back to 1015 now just because I'd prefer a non-beta. I've currently removed the fan that had been added and testing. If it happens again, I'll swap the 2 RAM sticks for the other 2. Blah.

All 50 tests do not pass on anything but Q series. So you can believe that if you want. You can enable it, but it does not mean it works in every test ;)

Update on Z77 from HQ, all tests will not pass so we will not claiming support like other vendors. You can obtain Intels Vt-D verification tool and test for yourselves

Raja,

What Asus boards will pass?
Also, latest BIOS appears to have solved weird USB issues on my Gene V.

Last edited:
Back