ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

Hello,

I have a question regarding ASUS' new Fan Xpert 2, and it's quite difficult to find some solid answers on this. It's quite confusing, but I think I've gotten most of it down.

My main question is whether or not I can utilize Fan Xpert 2 with non-PWM fans. I have not yet found a PWM-fan that I like, so I'm sticking with my batch of Nexus and Scythes.

I'm looking at a Z77-V Deluxe board, and this feature is about the sole reason I was swayed away from the Gigabyte UD5H.

As I understand it, there are 6 fan headers on this motherboard.

CPU_FAN - Main header - PWM control only? Does not control 3-pin fans?
CPU_OPT - Secondary header - Same as above?
CHA_FAN1~4 - Chassis fans - Controls both PWM and 3-pin/non-pwm fans

Is that correct?
For the Chassis fans that can control 3-pin fans, how is this accomplished? Is this done by varying the voltage, such as if I were to do the simple 5v or 7v mod, or does it pulse 12v on and off really quickly to achieve the desired rotational speed? There's a difference here, because pulsing it means the fans are turning on and off very rapidly, which on some fans results in a slight ticking noise as it starts spinning.

Finally, I read earlier in the thread that the motherboard would not boot without a fan plugged into the CPU_FAN header - can this be avoided? If so, what are the options that need to be disabled? The reason is if the CPU_FAN header cannot control 3pin fans, I will have to reroute it to a CHA_FAN header or hardwire it into a 5v molex manually.

On the software side, it sounds very good, but I did read some users saying there were discrepancies between its fan control versus the BIOS ones, as well as the profiles not loading on startup. Has these issues been fixed, or are there ways around them? Is the discrepancy between the software and BIOS by design?

Thank you.

This should answer your questions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i-aTUMuIB0

I actually watched that exact video twice, but he doesn't answer most of my more specific questions, unfortunately, which is why I'm trying to ask them here.

The video didn't state what fans they were, and when he did the fan calibration thing, I didn't see the CPU fan spin down like the others. There was also no demonstration of the fans reacting to a load on the CPU, nor was there any explanation of how exactly the fan headers controlled the fan speeds.

I actually watched that exact video twice, but he doesn't answer most of my more specific questions, unfortunately, which is why I'm trying to ask them here.

The video didn't state what fans they were, and when he did the fan calibration thing, I didn't see the CPU fan spin down like the others. There was also no demonstration of the fans reacting to a load on the CPU, nor was there any explanation of how exactly the fan headers controlled the fan speeds.

I currently have the Pro version of the Z77 asus so I think I can answer some of the questions.
The chassis fans should all work with 3 pin fans. The way that the fans ramp up and the profile is all controlled by you the user.

I'm not 100% sure if the CPU header can control a 3 pin fan though

Is that correct?
For the Chassis fans that can control 3-pin fans, how is this accomplished? Is this done by varying the voltage, such as if I were to do the simple 5v or 7v mod, or does it pulse 12v on and off really quickly to achieve the desired rotational speed? There's a difference here, because pulsing it means the fans are turning on and off very rapidly, which on some fans results in a slight ticking noise as it starts spinning.
I'm guessing it's PWM, but I would rather be sure and simply wait for Raja's response as I'm kinda curious as well.

Finally, I read earlier in the thread that the motherboard would not boot without a fan plugged into the CPU_FAN header - can this be avoided? If so, what are the options that need to be disabled? The reason is if the CPU_FAN header cannot control 3pin fans, I will have to reroute it to a CHA_FAN header or hardwire it into a 5v molex manually.
I think I can personally test this with one of the 3 pin fans that I have :)

On the software side, it sounds very good, but I did read some users saying there were discrepancies between its fan control versus the BIOS ones, as well as the profiles not loading on startup. Has these issues been fixed, or are there ways around them? Is the discrepancy between the software and BIOS by design?
I think the BIOS could use some work in this regard.
When the computer powers on the fans spin at full speed. Shortly afterwards (when post is complete) the fans ramp down a bit, though still not quiet. The fans don't get quiet until windows is done booting. Not a big issue to me, just a minor annoyance.
I'd also want to hear Raja's input on this as well...

I think I can personally test this with one of the 3 pin fans that I have :)
Seems that of the couple different ways that I've tried my screamer (3400rpm) of a 120mm 3pin fan can't be controled by the CPU header.

I've tried to set "manual" fan control in the bios, nodda
silent fan profile, nope
also tried to reconfigure it from within fanexpert2... no go

Tried another 3pin fan with the same results.

Again these are on the main CPU header alone.

On the Chassis fan headers it would appear that the same 3 pin fans are controllable on all the other headers except the ones reserved for CPU (both the main CPU and "opt"). 4 pin fans seem to work best in the cpu fan headers from my testing.

CPU headers are 4 pin only.

Chassis headers can control pin fans by reducing voltage.

AI Suite Fan Xpert patch is in the works for auto loading profiles without having to open the Fan Xpert GUI.

-Raja

Raja,

I've been troubleshooting the issue I posted here with ASUS support:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038708870&postcount=135

But now I'm being told to RMA the board.

This is not something I really want to do because it is such a pain and everything else on the board is working great. Can someone test and find out if quicksync will work in d-mode on the sabertooth Z77? I have yet to hear anyone get this to work with this configuration even though the manual states this mode is supported. MediaConverter will not use quicksync in d-mode, only when in i-mode. I just want to verify this is an issue with my board vs something more widespread before I RMA.

TIA.

Raja,

I've been troubleshooting the issue I posted here with ASUS support:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038708870&postcount=135

But now I'm being told to RMA the board.

This is not something I really want to do because it is such a pain and everything else on the board is working great. Can someone test and find out if quicksync will work in d-mode on the sabertooth Z77? I have yet to hear anyone get this to work with this configuration even though the manual states this mode is supported. MediaConverter will not use quicksync in d-mode, only when in i-mode. I just want to verify this is an issue with my board vs something more widespread before I RMA.

TIA.

UPDATE:

So I posted in the ASUS forum and a knowledgeable individual responded:

"Lucid is still working on the compatibility with PCIE 3.0 VGA cards.
Up till then, Lucid Virtu / Virtu MVP will only support up to 5 series from Nvidia and 6 series from AMD."

So I guess my board is fine.

UPDATE:

So I posted in the ASUS forum and a knowledgeable individual responded:

"Lucid is still working on the compatibility with PCIE 3.0 VGA cards.
Up till then, Lucid Virtu / Virtu MVP will only support up to 5 series from Nvidia and 6 series from AMD."

So I guess my board is fine.

The latest MVP driver release notes state the same.

Supported graphics cards and display drivers
VIRTU Universal MVP supports the following graphics cards and drivers:

Graphics cards
o Nvidia cards GF/GTX 4xx/5xx series
o AMD HD5xxx/HD6xxx/HD7xxx series

Display drivers:
o Intel: All WHQL drivers
o Nvidia: All WHQL drivers
o AMD: All WHQL drivers

pwrusr - Wow! Thank you for testing to see!

So it looks like my list of headers is accurate, which means it's a slight bummer that I can't use the CPU fan headers.

Raja, thank you so much for chiming in. If the headers do indeed use straight voltage control, I am elated. It saves me money from having to buy fan controllers and stuff.

However, there are a few more questions left unanswered and I'm hoping you can chime in about these.

Firstly, is there an official workaround to having nothing plugged into the CPU fan header? I will likely have to plug my CPU fan into a CHA_FAN header. If the only way is to set the BIOS to not halt on errors, would there be any unintended consequences to this?

Also, while I understand you will have a patch for the software soon to address some of the autoloading issues, pwrusr just laid out the inconsistencies between it and the BIOS fan settings. Do these two fan controllers 'talk' to each other, or are they separately handled? Are the BIOS fan settings only in effect when you're in the BIOS or during the POST process? I'm trying to figure out how best to set everything up properly without any conflicts.

Finally, I recall reading some time ago that there was a feature whereby the fans would run in full-speed reverse for a few seconds to get rid of dust upon shutdown. I don't remember if this was an ASUS feature or not, though. Was it from ASUS?

Thank you again!

My Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver doesn't respond/start. I've tried the driver the latest and the one from Asus website with no luck. Does this usually happen because of my physical hardware setup or is it OS dependent?

AI Suite Fan Xpert patch is in the works for auto loading profiles without having to open the Fan Xpert GUI.

-Raja
Is there no option to "fix" this to allow 3-pin CPU fans to be controlled by voltage in either the BIOS or Software? I'm a bit disappointed with Asus on this one... one of the aspects I took into consideration when making my purchase is what would give me the "cleanest" build, which in this case included having two CPU fan headers. I even sleeved the fan cables and replaced the molex connectors to match the build. Now, not only do I have to use an unnecessary splitter to fix this oversight, I have to tie up a chassis fan connector, leaving the two CPU headers completely useless and open. I also have to disable halt on errors in the BIOS which does not sit well with me.

I'm not alone in wanting this, as others have commented in this thread alone on the same issue, and I'm sure Asus would make a lot of customers happy if they added this feature. There are plenty of high-end fans that do not have PWM flavors that people still use.

Is there no option to "fix" this to allow 3-pin CPU fans to be controlled by voltage in either the BIOS or Software? I'm a bit disappointed with Asus on this one... one of the aspects I took into consideration when making my purchase is what would give me the "cleanest" build, which in this case included having two CPU fan headers. I even sleeved the fan cables and replaced the molex connectors to match the build. Now, not only do I have to use an unnecessary splitter to fix this oversight, I have to tie up a chassis fan connector, leaving the two CPU headers completely useless and open. I also have to disable halt on errors in the BIOS which does not sit well with me.

I'm not alone in wanting this, as others have commented in this thread alone on the same issue, and I'm sure Asus would make a lot of customers happy if they added this feature. There are plenty of high-end fans that do not have PWM flavors that people still use.

I believe the CPU/CPU_OPT headers lack the circuitry to do 3-pin voltage control? I remember reading it somewhere (or in a video) but can't find the reference now.

Re: Fan Xpert 2, with the newest version (.15) it seems to load my fan profiles at boot (as it is a service, starts with Windows) and I do not have to load the GUI/hit apply. Need to verify that though still.

The ASMedia drivers should support Hot Plug AFAIK.

Could you look into this for me? Hot swap is not working properly. I have to boot the computer with my eSATA enclosure powered on or the drives will not show up in Windows. To summarize:

- Boot with enclosure on, drives show up
- Boot with enclosure on, drives show up, "safely remove hardware" to unplug the drives, power unit off/back on, drives do not show up again
- Boot with enclosure off, turn it on in Windows, drives do not show up

The fact that I can "safely remove hardware" on the 2 drives in the enclosure means Windows sees the controller as hot swap enabled, but it doesn't seem to be working properly as I can't power on the drives and have them show up. Note that I was able to do this with my previous Asus P5B-Deluxe using the JMicron SATA controller.

Config info:

Asus P8Z77-V Pro w/ 1015 BIOS
ASMedia 1.3.4 driver
Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 with all patches
Mediasonic HUR1-SU352 enclosure (http://ain.mediasonic.ca/store/product_info.php?cPath=70&products_id=242)

Thanks for any help, I need hotswap for my back-up routine to work properly with this enclosure.

Anyone else having issues shutting down with this motherboard? I didn't have issues until yesterday, the monitor would shut off, but it seems the fans still stay on and the computer is still on as well. I would have to manually hold power button to turn it off.

The only thing that I have changed since it last shut down that I can think of was I added 2 x GTX 670's and windows installed the Windows 7 updates. I'll look for a possible loose cable tonight, just making sure there isn't a quick way to fix this.

EDIT* I'm running the P8Z77 V Deluxe w/ 3570K
Windows 7 Pro
Also running latest version of BIOS

Last edited:
Sabertooth Z77 BIOS version 0906 won't boot with my flashed 6950 running the 6970 BIOS, if I flip the switch to run it at 6950 works fine. I did not have this issue with my setup in my signature.

Any beta BIOS options?

Bah found this

New version of BIOS for the Sabertooth resolve this issue? I didn't see anything related in the limited release notes provided on the download link.

Thanks.

It's a hardware limitation so cannot be added to software.

Anyone else having issues shutting down with this motherboard? I didn't have issues until yesterday, the monitor would shut off, but it seems the fans still stay on and the computer is still on as well. I would have to manually hold power button to turn it off.

The only thing that I have changed since it last shut down that I can think of was I added 2 x GTX 670's and windows installed the Windows 7 updates. I'll look for a possible loose cable tonight, just making sure there isn't a quick way to fix this.

EDIT* I'm running the P8Z77 V Deluxe w/ 3570K
Windows 7 Pro
Also running latest version of BIOS

Sounds like a driver problem, I have sen this reported in nV driver bugs before,

-Raja

Could you look into this for me? Hot swap is not working properly. I have to boot the computer with my eSATA enclosure powered on or the drives will not show up in Windows. To summarize:

- Boot with enclosure on, drives show up
- Boot with enclosure on, drives show up, "safely remove hardware" to unplug the drives, power unit off/back on, drives do not show up again
- Boot with enclosure off, turn it on in Windows, drives do not show up

The fact that I can "safely remove hardware" on the 2 drives in the enclosure means Windows sees the controller as hot swap enabled, but it doesn't seem to be working properly as I can't power on the drives and have them show up. Note that I was able to do this with my previous Asus P5B-Deluxe using the JMicron SATA controller.

Config info:

Asus P8Z77-V Pro w/ 1015 BIOS
ASMedia 1.3.4 driver
Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 with all patches
Mediasonic HUR1-SU352 enclosure (http://ain.mediasonic.ca/store/product_info.php?cPath=70&products_id=242)

Thanks for any help, I need hotswap for my back-up routine to work properly with this enclosure.

What happens if you don't use two drives (port multiplier)?

I'm thinking about getting an Asus P8Z77-V Pro since it has all the features I need but am a little concerned by the issues I'm hearing.

In particular, memory compatibility sounds like a big issue. If I'm planning on overclocking a i3570k to the 4.2 to 4.4 Ghz range, could someone suggest some RAM to go along with it they know works with the motherboard?

Also, as an aside, can anyone comment on how the DTS Connect sound is working out? I see it listed as an option on the box for the Pro and Deluxe versions, but haven't actually seen anyone talk about how it is working. If it is nice, I might be able to get rid of my X-Fi card since I just use it to output DDL/DTS Connect to my receiver at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

-Raja
It'd be nice to have the fan profiles load entirely at bootup and not have to wait for windows to load. Would help alot if I decide to run a dual boot of linux/windows.
Is that what you're talking about? as maybe a BIOS update?

pwrusr - Wow! Thank you for testing to see!

So it looks like my list of headers is accurate, which means it's a slight bummer that I can't use the CPU fan headers.

Raja, thank you so much for chiming in. If the headers do indeed use straight voltage control, I am elated. It saves me money from having to buy fan controllers and stuff.

However, there are a few more questions left unanswered and I'm hoping you can chime in about these.

Firstly, is there an official workaround to having nothing plugged into the CPU fan header? I will likely have to plug my CPU fan into a CHA_FAN header. If the only way is to set the BIOS to not halt on errors, would there be any unintended consequences to this?

Also, while I understand you will have a patch for the software soon to address some of the autoloading issues, pwrusr just laid out the inconsistencies between it and the BIOS fan settings. Do these two fan controllers 'talk' to each other, or are they separately handled? Are the BIOS fan settings only in effect when you're in the BIOS or during the POST process? I'm trying to figure out how best to set everything up properly without any conflicts.

Finally, I recall reading some time ago that there was a feature whereby the fans would run in full-speed reverse for a few seconds to get rid of dust upon shutdown. I don't remember if this was an ASUS feature or not, though. Was it from ASUS?

Thank you again!
No problem man :cool:

I hate to sound like a party pooper, but why not just buy a 4 pin fan for use with the CPU?

AFAIK fans can't run in reverse as there are diodes on the fans that allow voltage to only run in in one way/polarity. They do however start at full speed when the computer first turns on. That should help get rid of the pesky dust :cool:

Raja,

I'm not seeing VCCIO/VTT options on the Z77 Sabertooth with the latest BIOS, or any other. I see a few other Z77 ASUS boards have this issue as well.

What gives? Is it linked to VCCSA?

Actual VT-d "proper" support is yet unknown for many new boards, although this one "appear to be compatible" on paper. Msi is a reputable vendor, their boards works pretty well. But nowadays, the UEFI is a criteria of choice and I won't accept restricted, Asus like, firmwares. I was tempted by the MSI Z77A-GD65, but I needed at least one legacy pci slot, so I choosed Asrock. Don't forget to tell us if vt-d works for you on this board. Good luck !

OK, thanks for the input.

Don't forget to tell us if vt-d works for you on this board. Good luck !

Will do. I think I'll choose the Gigabyte anyway. 1) MSI haven't responded to my e-mail in 2 days; 2) The MSI has a poor quality audio chipset compared to the Gigabyte (ALC892 vs. VT2021 + optical output). I'll keep you posted.

Raja@ASUS,

I have a question about the z77-v deluxe motherboard fan headers. The manual really needs better information on the fan ports. It states only this, "The CPU_FAN connector supports the CPU fan of maximum 1A (12W) fan power."

It does not say what CPU_OPT and CHA_FAN1-4 are rated for. Are each fan port separately rated for 1A/12W?

Also I noticed the manual states: "If you install two VGA cards, we reecommend that you plug the rear chassis fan cable to the motherboard connector labeled CHA_FAN1 or CHA_FAN2 for better thermal environment" Is that suggesting there is somethign different in rating between the CHA_FAN1-4 connectors? Just wondering why the manual suggests this.

Well i'm having trouble getting the Intel RST driver to work properly. It's a freshly reformatted Windows 7. Everything seemed to work fine BEFORE I installed .Net Framework updates. I uninstalled the Framework and now i'm getting random BSODs at start up or shut down.

I've tried another SSD and it has the same problem. I also did 2-3 runs of memtest and passed. Only items I have upgraded in the past 2 weeks are my SSD, CPU, and motherboard

I have to admit that coming from the first gen i7 (920) and a P6T Dlx board, overclocking with Ivy seems a lot easier and more stable. No more tinkering with QPI voltages and playing around with bclk/multi for ram speeds.

Man this Intel RST issue is driving me nuts. I formatted again but at the very last part of installing drivers and setting up I noticed it started to crash again. Last two things I installed and I noticed it started to not work was turning off my drive indexing and installing my sound card driver. Any help would be awesome!

Untitled1.png

Untitled-8.png

It'd be nice to have the fan profiles load entirely at bootup and not have to wait for windows to load. Would help alot if I decide to run a dual boot of linux/windows.
Is that what you're talking about? as maybe a BIOS update?

No software update only, not BIOS.

Raja,

I'm not seeing VCCIO/VTT options on the Z77 Sabertooth with the latest BIOS, or any other. I see a few other Z77 ASUS boards have this issue as well.

What gives? Is it linked to VCCSA?

Yes HQ tells me VCCSA is derived via stepdown from VCCIO. When VCCSA is at stock VCCSA is at Intel spec. As you increase VCCSA you will increase VCCIO by the same margin. On Ivy Bridge these two seem to do nothing for DRAM clocking margins.

RE: Looking for 16 GB (2 x 8GB) Qualified memory - P8Z77-I Deluxe

Raja,

Examining the one and only QVL which I find in the User Guide, and there being no QVL updates that I found online, I find no suitable 8GB DIMM's for this board.

What's the story? Specifically what's the likelihood that G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C10D-16GAB is suitable for the P8Z77-I Deluxe?

Thank you,
Harry

Last edited:
What happens if you don't use two drives (port multiplier)?

I tested this last night (removed one of the drives from the enclosure physically). The exact same behaviour occurs:

1) Boot with enclosure on - drive appears in Windows
2) Boot with enclosure off and power on - drive does not appear
3) Boot with enclosure on, power cycle in Windows - drive does not re-appear in Windows

Any idea what it might be? Using Intel RST if I didn't already mention it.

hello i m going to buy the asus p8z77-v pro motherboard, my question is about the ASUS Fan Xpert 2, i'm planning to use 6 fans not including the cpu fans, can this software handle all these fans including cpu's cooler fans or is it limited to 4 fans?

I use this board.
It has 6 individual fans controls. CPU + 5 (just use a 3 pin splitter to connect 2 fans to 1 MB socket.
I luv this board - I picked based on fan xpert2 and the other AISuite features.

Raja@Asus,

it looks like the CPU fan headers only support a maximum of 1A (12watts).
is this only the CPU header? or does it apply to every single header on the board?
It doesn't seem to list the maximum wattage in there.

From page 2-23 in the manual:
asus%20p8z77-v%20pro%20fan%20info.png

Back