ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

I disabled Fast Boot and, so far, so good.
Thank you very much.
PS. I updated also to 1203 (from today)

After more than 2 weeks of wasted time, used for searching for "loading circle freezing" solution, the hint given to me by devil22 (disable Fast Boot) and also presented in this forum by others, was instantly solving my problems (freezing and unfinished Windows install).
Thank you very much devil22.
Thank you very much to you all.

@ people from ASUS:
Please:
- make Fast Boot = Disabled, the default setting in BIOS, in order to be loaded when using Load Optimal Defaults;
- add a note in BIOS and in the manual that Fast Boot should be always Disabled before starting and during Windows install, because this setting seems to prevent loading of some drivers during boot (and Windows 8.1 is booting at least 2 times during install). This can lead to boot freezing or crippled Windows installations.

Maybe some other problems presented in this forum can be fixed by using Fast Boot = Disabled during Win install.

After more than 2 weeks of wasted time, used for searching for "loading circle freezing" solution, the hint given to me by devil22 (disable Fast Boot) and also presented in this forum by others, was instantly solving my problems (freezing and unfinished Windows install).
Thank you very much devil22.
Thank you very much to you all.

@ people from ASUS:
Please:
- make Fast Boot = Disabled, the default setting in BIOS, in order to be loaded when using Load Optimal Defaults;
- add a note in BIOS and in the manual that Fast Boot should be always Disabled before starting and during Windows install, because this setting seems to prevent loading of some drivers during boot (and Windows 8.1 is booting at least 2 times during install). This can lead to boot freezing or crippled Windows installations.

Maybe some other problems presented in this forum can be fixed by using Fast Boot = Disabled during Win install.

disable fast boot is a workaround not a solution for boot problem not for windows installation.

As I said, 100. I'm running at 4.0ghz cpu, 3.5ghz cache, 100 bclock. Never messed with cache speed until recently, so I didn't post about it, but it works in 1203. Don't know about the change log, I suspect it'll be posted when the update is put on the main support page. I kinda agree though, between this and the fast boot bug, Asus could do a little better. It's been 6 months or so now..

As I said, 100. I'm running at 4.0ghz cpu, 3.5ghz cache, 100 bclock. Never messed with cache speed until recently, so I didn't post about it, but it works in 1203. Don't know about the change log, I suspect it'll be posted when the update is put on the main support page. I kinda agree though, between this and the fast boot bug, Asus could do a little better. It's been 6 months or so now..

Cache always worked well on my deluxe on strap 100 since first BIOS.
I have problem on strap 125

Cache always worked well on my deluxe on strap 100 since first BIOS.
I have problem on strap 125

Hmm, for me I think any time I tried to change cache with 100 bclock, it switched to 125 on reboot. Never had a problem with 125 bclock and changing it though.

Hmm, for me I think any time I tried to change cache with 100 bclock, it switched to 125 on reboot. Never had a problem with 125 bclock and changing it though.

never happened this to my system, it seems that this mobo is more strange than what I think.

anyone getting the Windows 8.1 whea_uncorrectable_error? I just built my brand new PC with X99 deluxe over the weekend. I have been struggling to keep it stable.

Not overclocked yet. I tried using the optimized defaults and disabled fast boot. I am using the bundled wifi antenna though.

anyone getting the Windows 8.1 whea_uncorrectable_error? I just built my brand new PC with X99 deluxe over the weekend. I have been struggling to keep it stable.

Not overclocked yet. I tried using the optimized defaults and disabled fast boot. I am using the bundled wifi antenna though.

dozens of that but only when the OC is not stable.

This error is usually memory instability related.

Can anyone tell me what I should see under Device Manager in Control panel with a working Bluetooth driver installation for the X99? I've installed the latest bios from the Asus support page and the latest bluetooth drivers for Windows 8.1 (also from that page), but when I try to add a Bluetooth device Windows just searches endlessly for it and doesn't "see" it. Both Windows 8.1 and the Bluetooth devices (I've tried four separate Bluetooth devices which all pair with no problems on my Surface Pro and phone) are discoverable when I try to pair them.
This problem started with bios 1.0.0.4 and I was hoping bios 1.2.0.3 would solve the issue but unfortunately not. Running Win 8.1 Pro, 64-bit, with driver "V12.0.0.9860" downloaded from the Asus support page - note, I used quotes around the driver number of V12.0.0.9860, since after installing that driver package, Windows tells me that I'm using driver V12.0.0.9840, so I'm guessing Asus made a typo when it put up that driver package.

The blue Bluetooth indicator at the back of the motherboard is on (solid blue) so I'm hoping this is just a driver/bios issue and not indicative of a hardware problem. Bluetooth is also activated in the bios settings.

Anyone else having Bluetooth issues with this board and Windows 8.1 64-bit?

Can anyone tell me what I should see under Device Manager in Control panel with a working Bluetooth driver installation for the X99? I've installed the latest bios from the Asus support page and the latest bluetooth drivers for Windows 8.1 (also from that page), but when I try to add a Bluetooth device Windows just searches endlessly for it and doesn't "see" it. Both Windows 8.1 and the Bluetooth devices (I've tried four separate Bluetooth devices which all pair with no problems on my Surface Pro and phone) are discoverable when I try to pair them.
This problem started with bios 1.0.0.4 and I was hoping bios 1.2.0.3 would solve the issue but unfortunately not. Running Win 8.1 Pro, 64-bit, with driver "V12.0.0.9860" downloaded from the Asus support page - note, I used quotes around the driver number of V12.0.0.9860, since after installing that driver package, Windows tells me that I'm using driver V12.0.0.9840, so I'm guessing Asus made a typo when it put up that driver package.

The blue Bluetooth indicator at the back of the motherboard is on (solid blue) so I'm hoping this is just a driver/bios issue and not indicative of a hardware problem. Bluetooth is also activated in the bios settings.

Anyone else having Bluetooth issues with this board and Windows 8.1 64-bit?

Yes. YES!

When I initially purchased the X99 and installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 Enterprise (64 bit) -- the Bluetooth functionality worked perfectly (and there was a Bluetooth configuring option within the Control Panel).

Then, a few weeks back, my ability to pair and utilize my BT headset stopped - presumably for no reason. I thought it had something to do with a Windows Update -- but after formatting my drive, and reinstalling everything -- still no luck. Perhaps I updated the BIOS, and that would explain it. Somehow the interaction between Broadcom driver (WIDCOMM) and the hardware has gone awry. I've been searching fruitlessly for weeks (and formatted quite a few times) to figure this out, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Edit: Here's a post of mine elsewhere describing the issue:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694742

I have an Asus z97-deluxe with the Wi-Fi and NFC thing. When I first built the system, trying to install the Bluetooth drivers on windows 7 64-bit always resulted in a crash or system hang. The thing that solved the problem was removing and reseating the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth device in its slot. Might be worth a look.

I have an Asus z97-deluxe with the Wi-Fi and NFC thing. When I first built the system, trying to install the Bluetooth drivers on windows 7 64-bit always resulted in a crash or system hang. The thing that solved the problem was removing and reseating the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth device in its slot. Might be worth a look.

It appears embedded and covered in the back slot with the audio, LAN, etc... Was there a way with the z97 to reseat it?

Last edited:
It appears embedded and covered in the back slot with the audio, LAN, etc... Was there a way with the z97 to reseat it?

Yea. On the Z97 it was held in place by 2 small screws accessed from the back of the motherboard. So depending on your case, it may require removing the motherboard from the case.

But looking at some pictures of the x99 deluxe, it appears you'd also have to possibly remove the cover on the back IO ports.

The device itself I think sits in a mini-pci-e slot, at least on z97. I don't see why they would make it different on the x99. Although the device itself looks different: the z97 has two bnc connectors, the x99 has three.

Yea. On the Z97 it was held in place by 2 small screws accessed from the back of the motherboard. So depending on your case, it may require removing the motherboard from the case.

But looking at some pictures of the x99 deluxe, it appears you'd also have to possibly remove the cover on the back IO ports.

The device itself I think sits in a mini-pci-e slot, at least on z97. I don't see why they would make it different on the x99. Although the device itself looks different: the z97 has two bnc connectors, the x99 has three.

You're a god amongst men. The reseat worked!

Fake edit: Small screws will be the death of me.

Hi all,

I have been having an issue with my PC. Every time after (10-60 seconds) I quit playing BF4 or run Kombustor stress test my PC crash, monitor signal shuts down and fans boosts up. After this power cable must be unplugged to get the PC boot again. I don’t know much about overclocking and I have run my PC with optimized default settings in bios. I have updated the BIOS and twice cleared the CMOS, also tested with only a one memory molude, removed all unnecessary cards and hard drives. I made also a new clean install of Windows 8.1 again, but with no help to solve the issue. Sorry my bad english…Please help….

My system information:
ASUS X99-A bios ver. 1203
Intel Core i7-5820K
MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB
Crucial 16GB DDR4 PC4-17000 2133MHz CL15 (CT2K8G4DFD8213)2x8GB
Samsung SSD 830
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W

You're a god amongst men. The reseat worked!

Fake edit: Small screws will be the death of me.

:eek: I thought the BT chip was embedded on the X99. Is it actually a separate card. :confused: If so, I will take a look tomorrow - nothing else has worked for me.

Yes. YES!

When I initially purchased the X99 and installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 Enterprise (64 bit) -- the Bluetooth functionality worked perfectly (and there was a Bluetooth configuring option within the Control Panel).

Then, a few weeks back, my ability to pair and utilize my BT headset stopped - presumably for no reason. I thought it had something to do with a Windows Update -- but after formatting my drive, and reinstalling everything -- still no luck. Perhaps I updated the BIOS, and that would explain it. Somehow the interaction between Broadcom driver (WIDCOMM) and the hardware has gone awry. I've been searching fruitlessly for weeks (and formatted quite a few times) to figure this out, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Edit: Here's a post of mine elsewhere describing the issue:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694742

Thanks telarium, glad to know I'm not the only one having this problem. I will have to take a look tomorrow and see if anything has gotten loose back there. When you reseated the BT-Wifi card, I assume you took the white shield off first right? Or did you just press down?

Thanks telarium, glad to know I'm not the only one having this problem. I will have to take a look tomorrow and see if anything has gotten loose back there. When you reseated the BT-Wifi card, I assume you took the white shield off first right? Or did you just press down?

Yup, took off the white shield - 4 or 5 black, small screws. Then removed the two screws for the BT module and simply reseated it and replaced the two screws.

I've left the shield off as I'm not aiming for aesthetics. Otherwise, Bluetooth seems to be working perfectly.

Last edited:
This error is usually memory instability related.

My memory is G.Skill 2800 and it's on the QVL list. And it's not evening running at XMP (running at 2133). I wondering what else could be wrong here.

One thing to note is that my mobo is on 1203 BIOS, wifi and bluetooth enabled. Besides the WHEA error, Windows 8.1 randomly hangs. Anyone had this problem before?

My memory is G.Skill 2800 and it's on the QVL list. And it's not evening running at XMP (running at 2133). I wondering what else could be wrong here.

One thing to note is that my mobo is on 1203 BIOS, wifi and bluetooth enabled. Besides the WHEA error, Windows 8.1 randomly hangs. Anyone had this problem before?

I am using the same memory running at full frequency -- turned off all four mechanical switches near the lower right corner and enabled XMP in the UEFI and followed the directions in the OC Tutorial -- am not wanting to set any records for my needs, but will settle for 4.2 GHz, 2800 MHz at full frequency with CPU at 36C. It is rock solid.

Good luck!

I am using the same memory running at full frequency -- turned off all four mechanical switches near the lower right corner and enabled XMP in the UEFI and followed the directions in the OC Tutorial -- am not wanting to set any records for my needs, but will settle for 4.2 GHz, 2800 MHz at full frequency with CPU at 36C. It is rock solid.

Good luck!

Thanks for your suggestions. All the switches (TPU, EPU, etc.) are off/disabled by default.

Btw, what's the difference between turning on the XMP switch vs enabling XMP in UEFI?

Asus rocks!

use to.

not anymore.

this is the first board in 10+ years ive had various issues from drivers simply not working, win 8.1 breaking all drivers and me having to manually guess and download drivers etc is a pain.

past asus boards just worked out of the box

My rig keeps losing my Pioneer dvd drive in the Bios and hence in windows?
before and after the Bios 1305
If I switch Sata Ports the drive is shown but then it is lost again in the Bios after a few days?

Try enabling "hot plug" on the SATA port in UEFI. If that does not help, seek help from Pioneer for a firmware update.

Good luck!

Do you mind sharing your UEFI settings? Are you running Windows 8.1?

why so low overclock?
what voltages you use?

Default voltages, so 1.2 I guess. I just change the multiplier to 40. No real need for more speed, would rather have lower temps + stability. The system already handles anything I throw at it like a champ, so I don't push it.

Hello there, my X99-S motherboard occasional freeze after POST with code "AE"

My system have a qcode AE comes out randomly right after POST. The POST process goes smooth and then it stuck at a keyboard cursor screen, or cyan windows logo screen without further loading. Ctrl-Alt-Del cannot reboot the machine under such error. Pressing reboot button sometime can load into windows, sometime still freeze again after POST. Such freezing occur more frequent
during the reboot of completing software installation, or the computer start up from
cold start after resting for a whole night. This error occurs in random, let say, 1 out of 15 or 20. I have search for the web and say it maybe caused by fail detection of booting HDD/SDD or external USB device. This error occur in random so I donno how to trace the source.

Here is pc spec:
Intel 5820K, GSkill 4x4GB DDR4 2400mhz RAM. Crucial M550 256G(boot), MX100 512G (storage), Toshiba 3TB HDD (storage), win8.1, mobo BIOS ver 1401

And here is my USB device connections layout:
USB2.0 keyboard (rear USB3.0 port), USB2.0 mouse (rear USB 3.0 port), USB 2.0 CH joystick and throttle (rear USB 3.0 port), USB DAC (rear USB 2.0 port), external USB 3.0 hubs (rear USB 3.0 port)

Anyone have an idea??

Hello there, my X99-S motherboard occasional freeze after POST with code "AE"

My system have a qcode AE comes out randomly right after POST. The POST process goes smooth and then it stuck at a keyboard cursor screen, or cyan windows logo screen without further loading. Ctrl-Alt-Del cannot reboot the machine under such error. Pressing reboot button sometime can load into windows, sometime still freeze again after POST. Such freezing occur more frequent
during the reboot of completing software installation, or the computer start up from
cold start after resting for a whole night. This error occurs in random, let say, 1 out of 15 or 20. I have search for the web and say it maybe caused by fail detection of booting HDD/SDD or external USB device. This error occur in random so I donno how to trace the source.

Here is pc spec:
Intel 5820K, GSkill 4x4GB DDR4 2400mhz RAM. Crucial M550 256G(boot), MX100 512G (storage), Toshiba 3TB HDD (storage), win8.1, mobo BIOS ver 1401

And here is my USB device connections layout:
USB2.0 keyboard (rear USB3.0 port), USB2.0 mouse (rear USB 3.0 port), USB 2.0 CH joystick and throttle (rear USB 3.0 port), USB DAC (rear USB 2.0 port), external USB 3.0 hubs (rear USB 3.0 port)

Anyone have an idea??

Hi,
AE code refers to RAM or CPU cache, usually when you got that error means that your CPU isn't able to handle the RAM frequency/latency or cache frequency.

Do you have OC on cpu cache? What is your current RAM frequency/latency?
Are you using XMP?

If your overclock isn't too high, you could try highering VCSSA a bit, 0.005V to start.

Back