ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

The lane layout will be whatever the slot can support as shown in the manual. Also make sure you are counting the slots properly, a lot of users forget that the manual labels the slots according to length. PCieX16_3 is the 4th PCIe slot from the CPU.

Right now, with the "spaced" bridge I'm forced to use PCI-e 16x ports 1 and 4. I can't use 1 & 3 with either bridge. The motherboard only supplies a 3x SLI bridge, otherwise I'd just use a stock one and the recommended ports. I'd have to use 1&2 for the shorter bridge to work. The manual says the lanes are user configurable on page 3-38, but on page 1-13 where it shows recommended ports to use for various card configurations it just says "N/A" for 40 lane CPUs in all but port 1 and 3. It designates 1 & 3 to be 16x when used for 2-way SLI.

I'm just confused here. Is there anyway you could provide some insight?

Here's where I am so far in the build (almost done):

N1TEZBB.jpg

Last edited:
Go by the manual if you must have 16X/16X or experiment and see what works. It will take you all of a few minutes to move the card between slots.

Will do. I don't have to have x16 from both ports. It's just that the manual made it seem I could ONLY use those two ports for two-way SLI.

is there someone using the M.2 port as a boot device?
Is there some problem booting os from that port?

Raja@ASUS

I have bios 0801 on the deluxe, everything is working great and perfect stable from day 1.
Question is do I really need to or recommended to update to the latest bios ? it seems new bios out every couple weeks.

when update to new bios , does it save previous overclocking file ? or it revert to default setting ? thanks
Hello

A BIOS update will always overwrite the overclocking settings. Also previously saved profiles will not work.

Hello

A BIOS update will always overwrite the overclocking settings. Also previously saved profiles will not work.

That's not good, so I have to write down my current setting before updating to new bios ?

Should not take you any more time than it did to write posts back at us asking about asking the update :)

Still have memory issues!!!! About ready to toss the fn X99 Deluxe out the FN window.

New memory in G skill DDR4 2800 4096x4 FC-2800C16Q-16GRK

Bios only shows 12gb,, not showing memory in slot C1.

CPUZ shows memory as 16gb??????

Task manager only shows 12gb

I can get XMP profile at 2800 no problem with any ram stick combo in slots b1 and d1. But as soon as I add 4 sticks I get errors, hangs etc...

I have XMP profile off, default bios etc...and it will boot with a stick in slot C1..but bios show 12gb as does task manager..but CPUZ shows 16gb...

Edit: I have tried all 4 single stick in slot c1, will not boot. I have tried just about every slot combo and I cant make 4 sticks work together. Moving over the "2" slots (b2, c2 etc) yields no results.

I am given to understand that its possible that the right stick/slot needs to be figured out..but I cant seem to make it work.

I am pretty certain I have a bad MOBO...

Please give me suggestions to fix or confirm my thoughts....Otherwise I would hate to say I wasted $400 on this..

Last edited:
If updating to 1002 UEFI and tuning VCCSA does not help, then try another board and if need be memory kit (make sure there are no misaligned pins in the CPU socket, too).

Last edited:
Right now, with the "spaced" bridge I'm forced to use PCI-e 16x ports 1 and 4. I can't use 1 & 3 with either bridge. The motherboard only supplies a 3x SLI bridge, otherwise I'd just use a stock one and the recommended ports. I'd have to use 1&2 for the shorter bridge to work. The manual says the lanes are user configurable on page 3-38, but on page 1-13 where it shows recommended ports to use for various card configurations it just says "N/A" for 40 lane CPUs in all but port 1 and 3. It designates 1 & 3 to be 16x when used for 2-way SLI.

I'm just confused here. Is there anyway you could provide some insight?

Here's where I am so far in the build (almost done):

N1TEZBB.jpg

If you go by absolute spacing (6 slots total on ATX)
16x/16x should be in slots 1/4
16x/16x/8x should be in slots 1/4/6

You should be able to use the included bridge for either 2 or 3 way configuration, I doubt you can find a nice LED nvidia or EVGA bridge with the 1/4 spacing.

If updating to 1002 UEFI and tuning VCCSA does not help, then try another board and if need be memory kit (make sure there are no misaligned pins in the CPU socket, too).

Can you send me a link for 1002 UEFI... Asus website only shows 0904

Thanks

Alright..updated bios...no change. Installed Crucial 4 x 8gb sticks to try a different set of memory...again, same issue..slot C1 not showing any memory...with slots D1, B1, A1 and C1 filled with 8gb modules, I get a bd error..

I presses mem check button on mobo, says memory is ok, but only showed 24gb, not the 32gb...and Bios shows nothing for slot C1.

I am going to pull the mobo and bench test to see if there is a short cause the drop of slot C1

Memory for this round was Crucial Ballistix 2400 ddr400 model number BLS8g4d24DFSA.M16FADM

Edit: Pulled CPU..no out of shape pins. Will be isolating the mobo to check for shorts next.

Last edited:
is there someone using the M.2 port as a boot device?
Is there some problem booting os from that port?

I am, works great. I am using a Samsung XP941, which is listed as officially supported by ASUS. I have an X99 Deluxe and Win 8.1 64-bit and it boots just fine, using UEFI mode. Nice and fast, no issues I can see other than it doesn't make the HDD LED turn on :).

I am, works great. I am using a Samsung XP941, which is listed as officially supported by ASUS. I have an X99 Deluxe and Win 8.1 64-bit and it boots just fine, using UEFI mode. Nice and fast, no issues I can see other than it doesn't make the HDD LED turn on :).

good to know, thanks.

I have a problem with cache ratio.

I use XMP profile 3000MHz, 127.3BLCK, sync all cores 33, min cache ratio auto, max cache ratio 28.

With this settings I should have an uncore of 3.5GHz but AIDA, CPUZ and Intel XTU says that my uncore is locked at 3055MHz.
It doesn't vary of one MHz, is always at 3055MHz, no matter the load.

It works well if I set strap 100.

Is there someone with this problem?

I also had problems with the C1 slot. It took multiple re-seatings to get the sticks to show up in my C1 and D1 slots. I used an air can de-duster on both the sticks and slots, then swapped the C1 and D1 sticks, and reset the CMOS, which finally made them show up.

Re-seating all of my sticks also solved my linpack failures 3 - 6.5 hours in @ stock speeds. It seems like it's very easy to mis-seat DDR4 sticks in this board. Just because the tabs lock, doesn't mean you did it right.

Edit: this was not a seating issue but a "I didn't hit the CMOS reset button" issue. I did some experimenting and found:

Stock BIOS settings after hitting CMOS reset -> linpack stable 20h
Changed RAM speed from 2133mhz to 2667mhz, using 100 BLCK -> linpack crash in ~5h
Changed RAM speed from 2667mhz to 2133mhz -> linpack crash in 1h!
Load Optimized Defaults -> linpack crash in ~1h again. The BIOS settings reset doesn't reset everything; something in the CMOS still has screwed-up memory timings.
Full power off/unplug/power on -> linpack crash in ~1h again
Stock BIOS settings after hitting CMOS reset -> linpack stable again

What does the manual say about this button? "Clear CMOS button (CLR_CMOS): Press this button to clear the BIOS setup information only when the systems [sic] hangs due to overclocking."

Also, Raja, can you tell the relevant ASUS people that:

1) The eSupport case page locks up Chrome: http://www.service.asus.com/#!create-case/c55r

2) I can't reply to or cancel a new Technical Support Mailbox message (and why is this a different thing from an eSupport case?). I created a message, but I probably solved my problem, and I can't tell ASUS anything.

Last edited:
Bench tested. Still cant get slot C1 to show.. I have pulled and installed the memory so many times trying different combos that I would think I would have got it to show at least once when I have managed to get into bios........

I am going to ask for an RMA...this shit just aint working.. with 3 different memory modules..

About a week after I built my new machine (1 week after the x99 came out) my new rig began having booting troubles. When I turn the box on everything spins up and sounds like it is booting but there is no video signal sent to the monitors. The red LED light above the GPU would be on as well. I tried reseating the GPU and even moving the power cables to the GPU around on the modular PSU. Nothing seemed to help.
The weird part about the problem was that once I could get the system to boot with a video signal everything would then be fine and I could restart or shutdown and turn it back on (within an hour or 2) and everything worked perfectly. It was only after leaving the computer off over night or for many hours in the day that this would happen. Sometimes it would work after a couple presses of the Reset button other times it could take 5+ tries to get it to boot with video signal. The HDD during this time was making noise like it was Windows and such. I used this GPU in my last rig and it worked fine for 7+ months.
So I decided to try putting the slider in CFX 3x position and putting my GPU in the middle slot instead of the top slot. Now it boots up just fine on the first go. Wonderful, but what if I want to add a second GPU later? I feel like I will not be able to space them very well if I am forced to leave it in 3x mode and use only the bottom 2 slots. Also if I pick up a 2nd GPU and put it in the top slot does this mean that it will not boot with the card all the time? I am not excited for the prospect of having to RMA the motherboard so I hope there is an easy fix or a possible Bios update coming.

I used EZ Update to check for bios updates as the 1.0.0.0 bios is not up on the motherboard page at the Asus website.

Do I need to install 801 before 1.0.0.0 or can I go directly to 1.0.0.0? I'm running 409 right now.

I used EZ Update to check for bios updates as the 1.0.0.0 bios is not up on the motherboard page at the Asus website.

Do I need to install 801 before 1.0.0.0 or can I go directly to 1.0.0.0? I'm running 409 right now.
Hello

This is the R5E? If so there is no 1.0.0.0. Update to either 0801 or 0802.

Hello

This is the R5E? If so there is no 1.0.0.0. Update to either 0801 or 0802.

Asus X99 Deluxe - there's a 1.0.0.0 in the EZ Update, but not posted on the website. Just want to know if I have to upgrade sequentially, or if I can go directly to 1.0.0.0 from 409.

X99 Deluxe is a crappy motherboards full of bugs.
It seems to work OK on 5960k only.

On my 5930k there are many bugs.
The first one is that you cannot change the cache ratio when on 125 strap.
My cache is fixed at 3GHz, it doesn't go down and it doesn't go up. No matter what numbers I put in the cache ratio settings.

Can't believe that Asus can sell a crappy and buggy motherboard like this.

Hello,

I am currently having a problem with my R5E, It all works last night after, I upgraded to new bios 0801 and run some benchmark & stresstest which no problem was occurred. I shut down the PC and went to bed.

Now this morning. I tried to turn the PC on and during the POST it has a beep then struck at A2 (IDE DETECT phase). So I cannot get to the bios.

The system is in my signature with IBM ps2 keyboard and Generic Microsoft usb mouse.

What I have tried so far is following in order.

- Clear CMOS
- 1 GFX, 1 RAM, 1 HDD everything else was removed
- Mem Okay & ReTry
- Unplug PSU
- Reseated my waterblock
- Switch difference keyboard and mouse
- Remove HDD to see if I will be able to get to bios

I'm suspecting PS2 Keyboard, I will try to find USB keyboard to test it.

Please help, Thanks

Last edited:
Could people test the DPC latency on their board?

Sure. I use Windows 8, so a different tool is needed, Latencymon. Highest DPC time is 250us for the nVidia driver, highest ISR time is 93us for DirectX, average interrupt to process latency is 25us. With regards to DPC, about 100,000 samples were below 250us, only 2 above it.

I discovered the problem of the cache ratio locked to 3GHz, no matter what set in bios.
this problem occurs only when on 125strap and the problem depends on Ai Suite.

AiSuite automatically set the cache ratio to 3GHz, if I uninstall AISuite, no problem.

Can anyone tell me the correct length rigid 2-way SLI connector I'd need if using PCI-e x16 slots 1 and 3 as recommended in the manual for the X99 Deluxe?

Last edited:
Sure. I use Windows 8, so a different tool is needed, Latencymon. Highest DPC time is 250us for the nVidia driver, highest ISR time is 93us for DirectX, average interrupt to process latency is 25us. With regards to DPC, about 100,000 samples were below 250us, only 2 above it.

What are your full specs?

Back