ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

I noticed a huge performance drop when CPU throttle for temperature, it requires a lot of time to "re-establish" is initial performance.

No throttling here, temps never go above 45C even at extended max load. Running Valley they barely go above 30C. Funny thing is, Valley performance is so all over the place it's funny. Sometimes it'll start up at well over 100fps, then drop to 30fps, other times for no reason it'll start the test with frame rates around 90fps. The FPS also jump constantly, with huge fluctuations and dipping to single digits with the black transitions between scenes in Valley.

No throttling here, temps never go above 45C even at extended max load. Running Valley the barely go above 30C.

I'm sorry what kind of performance drop you are experiencing when overclocked to 4GHz?
what is your result with valley?

I'm sorry what kind of performance drop you are experiencing when overclocked to 4GHz?
what is your result with valley?

At stock (max settings in Valley at 2560x1440), I'm getting around 3100 points (70-ish fps), fluctuating up and down by about 100 points. In contrast on my X79 setup with the same graphics cards I was getting 4200+ points (100+ fps). When overclocked to 4GHz the performance index is around 2800 (below 70fps), still unacceptably low for this configuration, it should be 100fps or higher.

Funny thing is, starting Valley after a reboot the fps counter starts at well north of 100fps, but re-running Valley later the fps counter shows 60-70fps right at the start with huge jumps up and down. And this is not caused by throttling as temps are well below max temps (GPU in the 40's, CPU in the 20's).

why are you saying that is the 0904 if it reports 1.0.0.0?

Ignore the version number of the "message" and look what it does. When you install it, it notifies you that it unpacked the 0904 BIOS to your C:\ drive and that you should flash it via the UEFI Flash tool. Also you will see i think 0904.CAP file or something like that in root of your C:\ drive.

Ignore the version number of the "message" and look what it does. When you install it, it notifies you that it unpacked the 0904 BIOS to your C:\ drive and that you should flash it via the UEFI Flash tool. Also you will see i think 0904.CAP file or something like that in root of your C:\ drive.

thanks for the info.

At stock (max settings in Valley at 2560x1440), I'm getting around 3100 points (70-ish fps), fluctuating up and down by about 100 points. In contrast on my X79 setup with the same graphics cards I was getting 4200+ points (100+ fps). When overclocked to 4GHz the performance index is around 2800 (below 70fps), still unacceptably low for this configuration, it should be 100fps or higher.

Funny thing is, starting Valley after a reboot the fps counter starts at well north of 100fps, but re-running Valley later the fps counter shows 60-70fps right at the start with huge jumps up and down. And this is not caused by throttling as temps are well below max temps (GPU in the 40's, CPU in the 20's).

can you elaborate more on your rig?
what GPU do you have?

I have a GTX980 SLI and I get 106FPS avg in valley maxed out at 1920x1200.
if you are on single card, are you sure that you should do more than 100FPS?

3 Titans in SLI with 5960x. 32gb RAM.

Just to elaborate. Same graphics cards in my Rampage IV were getting 100+fps in Valley max settings at 2560x1440.

can you elaborate more on your rig?
what GPU do you have?

I have a GTX980 SLI and I get 106FPS avg in valley maxed out at 1920x1200.
if you are on single card, are you sure that you should do more than 100FPS?

3 Titans in SLI with 5960x. 32gb RAM.

Just to elaborate. Same graphics cards in my Rampage IV were getting 100+fps in Valley max settings at 2560x1440.

ok. do you see better performance if you run at stock voltage?

2 x 8gb Crucial Memory

I have been having issues with stability on OC, due to ram. Couldnt figured it out.

Then noticed the system shows me having 12gb, when I have 2 x 8gb of ram involved. So I am at loss how to check it. I get no other errors indicating a bad stick over all.

I have them installed on slot B1 and D1.

Help please

2 x 8gb Crucial Memory

I have been having issues with stability on OC, due to ram. Couldnt figured it out.

Then noticed the system shows me having 12gb, when I have 2 x 8gb of ram involved. So I am at loss how to check it. I get no other errors indicating a bad stick over all.

Help please

Would help us if you type out the following:

1) Whats'the kit part number and its rated speed?

2) If one side is being dropped at POST it's because the memory isn't stable enough to pass POST stress tests.

Asus AiSuite shows a vcore higher than CPUZ, who should I trust?
The difference is about 0.1V so not low at all.

Raja, I posted about stability issues, especially with anti-surge enabled not sure if you remember. Anyway, I'm starting to suspect it was the PSU. I was getting frequent restarts in the last few days, almost every hour. I also noticed they were consistent with what I've seen PSU problems cause, the system just restarts overclocked and at stock, never a BSOD or freeze or anything. So I swapped the Corsair 1000 HXi out and put in an old Corsair 750TX, and I've been running a few hours now with no issue, also with anti-surge enabled and overclocked to 4.2Ghz. Will RMA the PSU, but just wanted to update since I mistakenly assumed it was the mobo.

No probs. One of the rails is probably above or below what it should be.

strange things.
I know that this will not change too much but do you remembered to set you PCIexpress to GEN3 in bios?

Everything is running at GEN3 speeds. Strange thing is, switching from 8x AA to no AA does not affect the score at all.

Is there someone who can explain me why there is no way to get Adaptive working when XMP is on?
Can I use adaptive with RAM set at 2800MHz using BLCK 125MHz?

Another question.
When overclocking, is it better to leave the Turbo Mode off or on?

If I have a BLCK of 125MHz and a multiplier of 42, how turbo mode on could affect my frequency? Is it good or bad to leave it on when overclocking?
What about speedstep?

At the moment I have the Turbo mode off and speedstep on, is this good?

Since it is an Asus support thread, it is a perfect place for this question:
- is there any advantage in Rampage V Extreme compared to Deluxe in component quality, performance or abilities when talking about 5960X overclock at 4.4-4.5?

Price is virtually the same, but Deluxe offers an additional ethernet port and an M2 card for one more M2 drive, which is great value. For unknown reason, RVE is less bundled.

Where do you find them for the same price? Everywhere I look the Rampage V is about $500 (sometimes more) and the Deluxe is $400. Hence I would, and indeed did, get the Deluxe since I can't see anything on the Rampage to get excited about and the Deluxe is a better looking board to boot.

Also they have an X99-A out now which is similar to the Deluxe, but less included stuff and $100 cheaper.

Where do you find them for the same price? Everywhere I look the Rampage V is about $500 (sometimes more) and the Deluxe is $400. Hence I would, and indeed did, get the Deluxe since I can't see anything on the Rampage to get excited about and the Deluxe is a better looking board to boot.

Also they have an X99-A out now which is similar to the Deluxe, but less included stuff and $100 cheaper.

Not exactly "same price", but same budget window. I have budget windows I can "fill" and MBO is "up to 500", so it doesn't make any difference if I select a cheaper one, it won't save money if that is the point.

Why I'm looking at RVE is stability and performance at my target overclock. If RVE is any better than Deluxe, I'd go for it.

Since it is an Asus support thread, it is a perfect place for this question:
- is there any advantage in Rampage V Extreme compared to Deluxe in component quality, performance or abilities when talking about 5960X overclock at 4.4-4.5?

Price is virtually the same, but Deluxe offers an additional ethernet port and an M2 card for one more M2 drive, which is great value. For unknown reason, RVE is less bundled.
Hello

For most 24/7 usage both boards will offer the same performance/overclocking experience. The difference will be dependent on the number of video cards you plan on using and the feature set of each board which best suits your needs.

Would help us if you type out the following:

1) Whats'the kit part number and its rated speed?

2) If one side is being dropped at POST it's because the memory isn't stable enough to pass POST stress tests.

Raja,

Here is the exact module..Model Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000) Desktop Memory Model CT2K8G4DFD8213

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148859&cm_re=ddr4-_-20-148-859-_-Product

I ran Memtest86 for 2.5hrs.. not a single error. I am not exactly sure what test I ran..but there you go...

just wierd that I would have 2x 8b modules, yet show only 12gb... CPUz correctly reports the information on both modules..but task manager and everyother program shows only 12gb.

I have 4x4GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX 2800MHz.

I have seen that using
BLCK 100MHz with RAM @ 2600MHz I need more vcore than using
BLCK 125MHz with RAM @ 2800MHz.

Is this normal? All of you says that BLCK100 requires lower vcore, why in my case is the opposite?

Thanks.

Raja,

Here is the exact module..Model Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000) Desktop Memory Model CT2K8G4DFD8213

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148859&cm_re=ddr4-_-20-148-859-_-Product

I ran Memtest86 for 2.5hrs.. not a single error. I am not exactly sure what test I ran..but there you go...

just wierd that I would have 2x 8b modules, yet show only 12gb... CPUz correctly reports the information on both modules..but task manager and everyother program shows only 12gb.
Hello

Memtest is only gong to test the amount of memory properly detected. Boot with only one stick of memory installed at a time using the same slot each time. Does everything report the proper size for one stick?

In addition to what Jkrampf what frequecny you are running the memory at please? You mentioned OC in your initial post.

I will do the 1 stick at a time thing...see what i get.

As for speed, I remember setting it in BIOS to a fixed number of 2133 I thought..

The only think I changed in BIOS for OC is the multiplier to 45, the base clock is still 100. I also upped the voltage on the CPU some because I thought I needed to for stability reasons..but I think the issue is really the ram..

2 x 8gb Crucial Memory

Help please

exactly the same problem when using BLCK100 on more than 2400MHz.
I have Corsair Vengeance LPX 2800MHz, if I use BLCK 100MHz with a clock higher than 2400MHz with CAS,RAS ecc set to XMP 2800MHz, sometimes, at boot I see only 3 modules instead of four.

I will do the 1 stick at a time thing...see what i get.

As for speed, I remember setting it in BIOS to a fixed number of 2133 I thought..

The only think I changed in BIOS for OC is the multiplier to 45, the base clock is still 100. I also upped the voltage on the CPU some because I thought I needed to for stability reasons..but I think the issue is really the ram..
Hello

When testing to get to the bottom of these type of issues nothing should be overclocked including the CPU.

I'm getting an Asus X99 and was wondering if there was any reason for me to get anything above bare bones DDR4 2133 memory? I don't plan on doing anything more than a mild overclock with a 5820k.

I'm getting an Asus X99 and was wondering if there was any reason for me to get anything above bare bones DDR4 2133 memory? I don't plan on doing anything more than a mild overclock with a 5820k.
Hello

If 2133MHz speed is fine with you there is no need to be looking at anything else.

Do I need higher speed than 2133MHz to be able to overclock on X99?

absolutely nope..but you need higher speed to compensate the latency of DDR4.. same as DDR3 in the beginning..

That doesn't make sense to me, compensate for the latency? How does that benefit me in gaming? Will I see more than 1-2 FPS difference?

That doesn't make sense to me, compensate for the latency? How does that benefit me in gaming? Will I see more than 1-2 FPS difference?

The latency ATM its pretty much greater than DDR3 due to those high timings... so to give a really bump in performance it need high speed to have higher bandwidth and compensate a bit the higher latency...

gaming?. nah, not really..you will be perfect... its like still trying to see DDR3 2133mhz to over any performance bump over 1600mhz practically inexistent over some specifically benchmark tools..

Not exactly "same price", but same budget window. I have budget windows I can "fill" and MBO is "up to 500", so it doesn't make any difference if I select a cheaper one, it won't save money if that is the point.

Why I'm looking at RVE is stability and performance at my target overclock. If RVE is any better than Deluxe, I'd go for it.

I can't imagine that there'd be any stability difference in OC. The higher end ASUS boards do have the ability to shovel more power at the CPU, since they have more input pins, but for those OCs you shouldn't be anywhere near the limit. I mean [H] was pushing all their stuff that fast or faster on a X99-DELUXE.

However, if you are looking at a more expensive board, maybe think about an X99-E WS. They are only $30 more than the Rampage, but look better, and have a reasonable set of additional features. Had they been in stock when I'd ordered, I might have gotten one.

For a $100 increase, the Rampage just isn't worth it over the Deluxe. For a $130 increase the WS just might be.

In addition to what Jkrampf what frequecny you are running the memory at please? You mentioned OC in your initial post.

Alright.. I think I have a bad Crucial stick.

I put system into stock settings. While doing so, I notice that the bios show that one of the sticks of ram is 4gb, not the 8gb its supposed to be.

So I move it to b1, boot up and the system shows it as 8gb. I think AHA!, bad slot/mobo..run prime 95 blend test..get a reboot a few mins later. I reboot, this time task manager shows that I have 4gb...

I test the other stick in both slots, and it shows as 8gb at all times.

So the answer is, a bad Crucial stick.

I can't imagine that there'd be any stability difference in OC. The higher end ASUS boards do have the ability to shovel more power at the CPU, since they have more input pins, but for those OCs you shouldn't be anywhere near the limit. I mean [H] was pushing all their stuff that fast or faster on a X99-DELUXE.

However, if you are looking at a more expensive board, maybe think about an X99-E WS. They are only $30 more than the Rampage, but look better, and have a reasonable set of additional features. Had they been in stock when I'd ordered, I might have gotten one.

For a $100 increase, the Rampage just isn't worth it over the Deluxe. For a $130 increase the WS just might be.

Is there a comparison of some kind that would help to see RVE vs WS vs Deluxe? Any test?

Yes, if WS is more stable, of course I'd go for it.

Is there a comparison of some kind that would help to see RVE vs WS vs Deluxe? Any test?

Yes, if WS is more stable, of course I'd go for it.

I don't know of any real good side by side comparison on a website. However the basic differences are:

--Looks. The X99D is done in black and white, RVE is done in their red n' black style, the WS in black and silver.
--Size. The X99D is standard ATX, the other two are EATX (larger).
--PCIe slots. The X99D has 5 16x sized slots and 1 4x sized slot. The RVE has 5 16x sized slots and 1 1x sized slot. The WS has 7 16x sized slots.
--The WS has a PLX PCIe switcher chip, meaning all PCIe slots get 16x 3.0 bandwidth in all cases. The other two do not meaning they get bandwidth based on the configuration of cards in them and the CPU you buy.
--Wifi. The X99D and RVE had built in 802.11ac wifi, the WS does not.
--eSATA. The WS has eSATA ports, the other two do not.
--Power components. The X99D and RVE have very good caps, often called "10k caps", the WS has slightly better caps often called "12k". Likewise the WS has slightly higher quality chokes. All way WAAAAY overspec'd.
--NICs. The X99D has two consumer grade NICs, the RVE has one consumer grade NIC, the WS has one consumer grade and one server grade NIC. All are Intel NICs.
--Cooling. Each successive step up has more over the top heatinks on the PCH and VRMs.
--Power input. The X99D takes 1 EPS power connector, the RVE takes 1 EPS and 1 ATX, the WS takes 2 EPS. In theory that means more power for the CPU (in practice it matters little to none).
--Included goodies. The X99D has a wifi antenna, M.2 PCIe adapter (in additon to the slot onboard), one 3 way SLI bridge and fax extension module. The RVE has a wifi antenna, a 3 way SLI bridge, 4 way SLI bridge and a little external display/control for the ASUS utlility. The WS has a 2 way, 3 way, and 4 way SLI bridge, com port backplate, and USB bakcplate. All include a bunch o' SATA cables too, of course.

There are also plenty of other more minor differences too, but those are the most prominent feature differences. No really huge differences, if that is what you are wondering. It isn't like any of them are bad, or unstable, or anything.

In my opinion the Deluxe is the best buy overall, the extra features of the higher end boards matter little. However the RVE is the worst buy, as it is $100 more and really offers little of interest. The WS is nice on account of the higher grade components (completely overkill, but still neat) and the PLX chip meaning all 16x PCIe all the time for all the slots :D.

Unfortunately, WS is nowhere to be found and I have RVE and Deluxe ready. :p

It will probably be RVE now that I have no access to the WS one and 5,25" monitor is nice addition.

is there a suggested maximum temperature for VRM?
is 1.3V good for VRM without any fan on it?

Back