ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

Huh? There has already been two new since the launch. It is not like a ton of people are having issues with this mobo as far as I can tell. So far it has been pretty darn good for me.

he's waiting to Asus make an Exclusive BIOS for Him.. (just if like a new BIOS will improve his Overclock abilities :rolleyes:.. )

I hoped in a better support from asus.
No new bios yet.
Hello

There will be no new BIOS that will make up for whatever deficiencies your CPU has concerning overclocking headroom. Also, a solid understanding of the platform helps when attempting to overclock.

Last edited:
Hello

There will be no new BIOS that will make up for whatever deficiencies your CPU has concerning overclocking headroom. Also, a solid understanding of the platform helps when attempting to overclock.

With my latest P8P67 a new bios let me use 200MHz more on the same vcore.
Bios is very important when overclocking because you don't set all parameters by hand, you set only the main one and the others leaved on auto is adjusted by the bios.

Hi all,

Just purchased and setup an X99 deluxe. All the drivers installed when I loaded the chipset, USB, LAN and Bluetooth drivers, save for one which still has an exclamation point in Device Manager: "Network Controller". Anyone know where I can find this?

Thanks!

Anyone know the answer to the above? Not sure which driver package I need to install to address the above issue, as I've already installed the chipset, USB 3, lan, raid, and bluetooth drivers for this board.

EDIT: figured this out - it's the wifi driver. Install WIFI_Win7-8-8-1_V630223249_6342231

Also, I want to add some additional USB 3 ports to a 5.25 bay at the front of my case. Has anyone ever used a USB 3.0 internal splitter to add additional USB 3.0 capacity? I was thinking of this in particular:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...B30_20-Pin_Male_Y_Adapter.html?tl=g2c539s1558

Not sure if I would risk shorting out the board or not. I wouldn't be using the USB 3.0 ports at the same time obviously.

Pretty happy with the board so far. The BIOS is a little weird though. I'll make changes and then when I move to save and restart, it tells me that I haven't made changes (even though I have). Also when changing the boot order in EZ-mode, once you select the drive you want to boot from, you IMMEDIATELY get dumped out of BIOS and boot from that drive - there's no restart. Bit disconcerting and unexpected behaviour.

Last edited:
dear mates & com,

i do come up with an issue on x99-deluxe and boot freeze as well as UEFI crashes.

history tl;dr :
build a new rig mid september with x99-deluxe, 5820, triple monitor r290x (single GPU), 16g corsair vengeance kit
1 samsug 840 ssd, 6x 2TB sata drives, 2 x odd.

first off, no OC. this rig is planned to be an ultra silent one.

unpacked mb with some bios 04xx and updated to 05xx due to random UEFI crashes.
since updated to 0801 no UEFI crahses occurred.
however since system basic setup was done, not a lot time was spent in system setup after intel controller was enabled to carry raid builds. so dunno if UEFI crashes are persistent.

up to this time I randomly experienced that booting from a cold boot it does not boot into windows 7 x64.

POST gets to the windows logo and then freeze. resetting between one and three times or so then it boots up fine. Has anyone else had this problem or has a fix for it?

google search results shown only one chap reporting a similar behavior on overclockers.uk

when spotting posts about 0902 and following 0904, new hope was there this - in my perception - bios issue may have be fixed.

however, after updating to 0904 some serious crahses happened. the boot freeze occurred as well a few times.

the good thing is, i now do know how to fix broken UEFI and GPT boot records in a multi OS system…
my system begann to be very unstable with 0904 and still no OC. only changed bios defaults to select raid settings and CPU fan monitoring turned off. heavy stuttering and short system lockups in windows 7 (x64), finally a flash plugin in addition to some multi instances of EVE clients caused the system unresponsive. (this was repeatable)

i then unplugged all hard drives and external devices and flashed 0801 back, which caused same random boot lockups between POST and windows start sequence as before. it occurs randomly and doesn't make a difference if booting from single ssd or sata drive or RAID . memtest didn't showed unusual things neither.

---------

now running the 0801 again for now as system appears much more stable on default settings but still having the boot freeze/lockups, which prevent usage of remotely controlling the unit by WOL.#

any suggestion on how to isolate the source of the lockups?

appreciate you help, thank you in advance!
sincerely
pete - Germany

is there a reason why when I set XMP 2800MHz on my Asus X99 Deluxe AiSuite says that I have DRAM Frequency at 3900MHz.

What is the dram frequency? Isn't it the ram frequency?
How 3900MHz could be possible?

dear mates & com,

i do come up with an issue on x99-deluxe and boot freeze as well as UEFI crashes.

history tl;dr :
build a new rig mid september with x99-deluxe, 5820, triple monitor r290x (single GPU), 16g corsair vengeance kit
1 samsug 840 ssd, 6x 2TB sata drives, 2 x odd.

first off, no OC. this rig is planned to be an ultra silent one.

unpacked mb with some bios 04xx and updated to 05xx due to random UEFI crashes.
since updated to 0801 no UEFI crahses occurred.
however since system basic setup was done, not a lot time was spent in system setup after intel controller was enabled to carry raid builds. so dunno if UEFI crashes are persistent.

up to this time I randomly experienced that booting from a cold boot it does not boot into windows 7 x64.

POST gets to the windows logo and then freeze. resetting between one and three times or so then it boots up fine. Has anyone else had this problem or has a fix for it?

google search results shown only one chap reporting a similar behavior on overclockers.uk

when spotting posts about 0902 and following 0904, new hope was there this - in my perception - bios issue may have be fixed.

however, after updating to 0904 some serious crahses happened. the boot freeze occurred as well a few times.

the good thing is, i now do know how to fix broken UEFI and GPT boot records in a multi OS system…
my system begann to be very unstable with 0904 and still no OC. only changed bios defaults to select raid settings and CPU fan monitoring turned off. heavy stuttering and short system lockups in windows 7 (x64), finally a flash plugin in addition to some multi instances of EVE clients caused the system unresponsive. (this was repeatable)

i then unplugged all hard drives and external devices and flashed 0801 back, which caused same random boot lockups between POST and windows start sequence as before. it occurs randomly and doesn't make a difference if booting from single ssd or sata drive or RAID . memtest didn't showed unusual things neither.

---------

now running the 0801 again for now as system appears much more stable on default settings but still having the boot freeze/lockups, which prevent usage of remotely controlling the unit by WOL.#

any suggestion on how to isolate the source of the lockups?

appreciate you help, thank you in advance!
sincerely
pete - Germany

Too low vcore, I solved this problem with higher vcore.

So I have 2x GTX 980 cards and one PCIE Soundblaster Z card. Where should I put the cards to maximize the pci express bandwith? I have the Asus Rampage V Board.

you can mount in the way you want.. Card 1 = Slot 1, Card 2 = Slot 2, Sound card in the black PCI-E x1 Slot and you will be fine..

I also have 2x GTX 980s and a SBZ with a x99-Deluxe. If I put the 980s in the first and 3rd x16 slots and the SBZ in the 5th x16 slot, windows will not detect my SBZ card. How do I fix this?

Also, putting the SBZ in the 2nd x16 slot lets windows see it, but then the 980s are dropped down to x8 mode.

Edit:
It looks like sometimes windows will see the sound card in 16_5 and sometimes it won't. It always shows up in the BIOS as x1 link, so I know the board at least knows something is connected.

Last edited:
is there a reason why when I set XMP 2800MHz on my Asus X99 Deluxe AiSuite says that I have DRAM Frequency at 3900MHz.

What is the dram frequency? Isn't it the ram frequency?
How 3900MHz could be possible?

very strange, I'm searching the internet but I don't find the answer to my question.

Have a question with regards RVE, after installing all the drivers and such I still have an Unknown Device, only one in the device manager. Any ideas?

Also, performance seems to be way lower with RVE, 5960x and 3x Titan than what I had with RIVE and 3960X. In Valley for example, it is down a whopping 30% and there is a lot of stutter. Any thoughts anyone?

Have a question with regards RVE, after installing all the drivers and such I still have an Unknown Device, only one in the device manager. Any ideas?

Also, performance seems to be way lower with RVE, 5960x and 3x Titan than what I had with RIVE and 3960X. In Valley for example, it is down a whopping 30% and there is a lot of stutter. Any thoughts anyone?

1) check all drivers again

2) try the 008 beta build. If no change then its a driver issue.

Tried the new beta BIOS and reinstalled drivers, performance is still terrible in 3-way SLI. Consistently 25-30% below my old system.

Has there been any news on the X99 e-WS motherboard? I am really interested in it but cant seem to find it anywhere. Also, any news on waterblocks for the X99 mobos in general?

is there a reason why CPU-z says that my two GTX980 runs at PCI gen 1.1 ?

I think the GPU runs at 1.1 unless you put a load on it by default. Try GPU-Z, it has an included GPU stresser thing so you can see it "upclock" to PCI-e 3.0.

I had posted this in the X99 review thread, but then realized I should have posted in this thread after browsing the forums:

I had bought an Asus X99 Deluxe and 5960X, and a set of G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4-2666 memory modules (4x4GB). I had the sticks in the DIMM A1,B1,C1,and D1 slots, and I noticed I was only getting 3 of the modules detected in BIOS. So I began testing the faulty stick. It turns out that one the sticks is bad, but I also noticed that if I had any stick, even a working stick, in the DIMM A2,B2,C2, or D2 slots, it would not show up in BIOS either. So I was wondering if I also had a bad motherboard that had half of its memory slots bad, or if you actually needed to have RAM in all the 1 slots before it would start detecting RAM in the 2 slots.

I think the GPU runs at 1.1 unless you put a load on it by default. Try GPU-Z, it has an included GPU stresser thing so you can see it "upclock" to PCI-e 3.0.

I founded that the default PCI Express on X99 Deluxe is PCI Expr gen 1.0
I change the settings from auto to Gen 3 and now CPU-Z says that my cards is running at PCIe 3.0.

3DMark Fire Strike Extreme improved by 150 points :D

I had posted this in the X99 review thread, but then realized I should have posted in this thread after browsing the forums:

I had bought an Asus X99 Deluxe and 5960X, and a set of G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4-2666 memory modules (4x4GB). I had the sticks in the DIMM A1,B1,C1,and D1 slots, and I noticed I was only getting 3 of the modules detected in BIOS. So I began testing the faulty stick. It turns out that one the sticks is bad, but I also noticed that if I had any stick, even a working stick, in the DIMM A2,B2,C2, or D2 slots, it would not show up in BIOS either. So I was wondering if I also had a bad motherboard that had half of its memory slots bad, or if you actually needed to have RAM in all the 1 slots before it would start detecting RAM in the 2 slots.

As shown in the motherboard manual, when using a single memory stick the primary slot for each channel must be populated with a DIMM before the corresponding secondary slot can be used.

Too low vcore, I solved this problem with higher vcore.

thanks for yor reply,

how much vcore is ok to increase, what should be done, what not?
what could be a reason not to be sufficient with BIOS default/auto settings? (tolerance/out of spec?)

sincerely
pete - Germany

if monitored correctly, the default (stock?) auto setting adjust vcor at 1.035v low and 1.075v high in my setup causing random lockups/freezes between POST and windows 7 x64 boot sequence.

thanks for yor reply,

how much vcore is ok to increase, what should be done, what not?
what could be a reason not to be sufficient with BIOS default/auto settings? (tolerance/out of spec?)

sincerely
pete - Germany

you can increase the vcore easily, do you have a good cooling solutions?
if yes, no problem to try with 1.250V.
Try 4GHz at 1.250V.

Well, I reinstalled Windows and all the updates and drivers (no more unknown devices). Everything is fine, except Valley still gives terrible performance in 3-way SLI with 3 Titans, get about 3000 points with max setting at 2560x1440 and the CPU at 4GHz (5960x, RAM at 2666MHz). Not sure what is going on. 3DMark Extreme test gives me more than 18,000 points so I'm not sure whether it is Valley or whether it is the whole system as I never ran 3D Mark on my old system.

Well, I reinstalled Windows and all the updates and drivers (no more unknown devices). Everything is fine, except Valley still gives terrible performance in 3-way SLI with 3 Titans, get about 3000 points with max setting at 2560x1440 and the CPU at 4GHz (5960x, RAM at 2666MHz). Not sure what is going on. 3DMark Extreme test gives me more than 18,000 points so I'm not sure whether it is Valley or whether it is the whole system as I never ran 3D Mark on my old system.
Hello

This may be an issue of nVidia needing to still work on driver compatibility for X99. 3-way and 4-way SLI have other issues such as OpenCL support being broken but working fine with a single card or 2-way SLI.

Hello

This may be an issue of nVidia needing to still work on driver compatibility for X99. 3-way and 4-way SLI have other issues such as OpenCL support being broken but working fine with a single card or 2-way SLI.

Open cl doesn't need SLI.
Open cl uses GPUs for processing power, it can use three GPU without the SLI bridge without a problem.

Asus EZ Update on Windows running an X99 Deluxe, reports an important bios update version 1.0.0
Obviously this bios is not yet available on the asus site.
I hope that it will fix some instability issues.

you can increase the vcore easily, do you have a good cooling solutions?
if yes, no problem to try with 1.250V.
Try 4GHz at 1.250V.

cooling is good ; )
CPU max during load 42C°
GPU max during load 48C°
http://imgur.com/a/kAPga

if monitored correctly, the default (stock?) auto setting adjust vcor at 1.035v low and 1.075v high in my setup causing random lockups/freezes between POST and windows 7 x64 boot sequence.

sblantipodi et al, i've changed after my last post the CPU boot power condition to 1,1v but still receiving random boot freezes. same with two different w7 x64 setups/disks (one is clean/new - 1 working system/enviroment).
as mentioned earlier, the system is designed to work as super silent, so no OC is planned.

dear ASUS team, system still locks up between POST and windows randomly. any other ideas w/o overclocking a default system too much? or is the way sblantipodi describes to increase vcore the way to go? does this mean i would need to increase 1.1v furhter?
other ideas what could cause this behaviour? power supply is an Corsair AX860i.

how could an approach to log files etc look like in order to see where the problem is coming from? if i feel capable to do so, would like to give it a try with your help.

are there tools that may be of help to do so?

sincerely
pete - Germany

Last edited:
cooling is good ; )
CPU max during load 42C°
GPU max during load 48C°

sblantipodi et al, i've changed after my last post the CPU boot power condition to 1,1v but still receiving random boot freezes. same with two different w7 x64 setups/disks (one is clean/new - 1 working system/enviroment).
as mentioned earlier, the system is designed to work as super silent, so no OC is planned.

dear ASUS team, system still locks up between POST and windows randomly. any other ideas w/o overclocking a default system too much? or is the way sblantipodi describes to increase vcore the way to go? does this mean i would need to increase 1.1v furhter?

how could an approach to log files etc look like in order to see where the problem is coming from? if i feel capable to do so, would like to give it a try with your help.

sincerely
pete - Germany

there is clear issues with this boards.
many people here and on others forums complaining about stability issues even at stock settings.
I hope that a new bios will fix all this issues.

Open cl doesn't need SLI.
Open cl uses GPUs for processing power, it can use three GPU without the SLI bridge without a problem.

Hello

Please try to understand what you are reading before responding. It does not matter if OpenCL needs SLI. The fact is with a 3-way or 4-way SLI configurations OpenCL is broke. Single card and 2-way SLI was also broke on X99 until the 344.11 drivers were released. I posted this info as it shows the current nVidia drivers are having issues with the X99 platform and what Armpit is experiencing may be the result of the drives not being fully compatible yet. Please do not reference or respond to any of my posts going forward. As I wrote to you on OCN I will no longer waste my time reading or responding to anything you write.

cooling is good ; )
CPU max during load 42C°
GPU max during load 48C°

sincerely
pete - Germany

Nice setup pete, I also love aquacomputer.

JayzTwoCents posted a video about 3-way performance on an EVGA X99 board. He mentions he had a lot of problems with the 2-way not working properly and this was caused by overclocking CPU and RAM in a certain way, where the higher the overclock the worse performance he got. He doesn't elaborate on a solution but when I overclocked to 4GHz performance did drop so I'm suspecting a similar issue. Going back to stock everything doesn't seem to resolve the performance problems however. Either I'll have to wait for new drivers from Nvidia to fix this or a new BIOS, whichever is the culprit I think.

JayzTwoCents posted a video about 3-way performance on an EVGA X99 board. He mentions he had a lot of problems with the 2-way not working properly and this was caused by overclocking CPU and RAM in a certain way, where the higher the overclock the worse performance he got. He doesn't elaborate on a solution but when I overclocked to 4GHz performance did drop so I'm suspecting a similar issue. Going back to stock everything doesn't seem to resolve the performance problems however. Either I'll have to wait for new drivers from Nvidia to fix this or a new BIOS, whichever is the culprit I think.

I noticed a huge performance drop when CPU throttle for temperature, it requires a lot of time to "re-establish" is initial performance.

Back