ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

My ASUS X99 Deluxe + 5820K fails linpack after a few hours, running at stock voltages (Adaptive) and speeds (3.3ghz both core and cache, Turbo Boost disabled). CPU strap is set to 100mhz, RAM is 32GB of G.Skill F4-2666C15Q-32GRR, running with the XMP profile at 2666mhz, 1.2V. Temperatures don't rise above 60C during the test.

What should I do?

Take it out back and shoot it. That's what I'm about to do.

I'm not even using the XMP profile of my RAM

I hear ya'. I am running on manual overclock profile with BCLK at 100 and multiplier of 30 with SpeedStep and Turbo off. I have XMP off and I'm running my 2800 ram at 2200. Still unstable under load. On BIOS 0801, I ran XMP-2800 with a 34 multiplier (4.2 ghz) and it was stable as could be. Zero issue. Now, it is an utter turd.

I hear ya'. I am running on manual overclock profile with BCLK at 100 and multiplier of 30 with SpeedStep and Turbo off. I have XMP off and I'm running my 2800 ram at 2200. Still unstable under load. On BIOS 0801, I ran XMP-2800 with a 34 multiplier (4.2 ghz) and it was stable as could be. Zero issue. Now, it is an utter turd.

Is it possibile to go back to previous BIOS?

Is it possibile to go back to previous BIOS?

I rolled back to 0801, but my problems persisted. In fact, things got even crazier so I reflashed to 0904. I am in search of a new board now because I'm not going to deal with this crap even if I am going to lose $400 in the process.

I rolled back to 0801, but my problems persisted. In fact, things got even crazier so I reflashed to 0904. I am in search of a new board now because I'm not going to deal with this crap even if I am going to lose $400 in the process.

can't believe something like this from asus.

When is the Asus X99-E WS going to be available? I'm trying to build a desktop soon.

It seems that the instability is due to the offset voltage.
If I put 1.220V in manual mode I can get 4.2GHz on all core.

I'm not very satisfied at the moment.
I will continue to try to get 4.4GHz, in manual mode at 1.250V with 125MHz BLCK system does not boot.

How many voltage should I need for 4.4GHz?

It seems that the instability is due to the offset voltage.
If I put 1.220V in manual mode I can get 4.2GHz on all core.

I'm not very satisfied at the moment.
I will continue to try to get 4.4GHz, in manual mode at 1.250V with 125MHz BLCK system does not boot.

How many voltage should I need for 4.4GHz?

Probably 1.3 vcore.

But try the Asus 5-way auto overclocking software first. Works great for me.

I get an auto 4,5 GHz overclock on my 5960X out-of-box without AVX testing and 4,3 GHz with AVX.

it seems that this board has a crappy stability in general.

Solid for me.

The only "issue" I run into is that the 5960X gets very hot when doing any stress testing with AVX instructions enabled like the new Prime95 28.x. So mobo = solid, CPU = hot.

Went out today and picked up another X99 Deluxe and it works like a charm. It is running 0801 which ran great on the last board too. Not going to upgrade. Looks like 0801 will just have to do it for me.

Probably 1.3 vcore.

I get an auto 4,5 GHz overclock on my 5960X out-of-box without AVX testing and 4,3 GHz with AVX.

It all depends on how you care about stability.
Without avx means nothing for me. I want a full featured CPU, I'm not interested in oc tolerance settings too.

With settings set for maximum stability 5 way optimizations produces a crappy 4.1GHz on my system.

Went out today and picked up another X99 Deluxe and it works like a charm. It is running 0801 which ran great on the last board too. Not going to upgrade. Looks like 0801 will just have to do it for me.

Hope to get a new BIOS that will fix this bad OC

Probably 1.3 vcore.

tried manual 1.3V, 4.4GHz, freeze after windows login

I noticed that the best test to make my system hang is Prime95 version 28 with the blend test, with that test I'm not stable even at 4.2GHz at 1.250V. (127MHzx33)

I noticed that the best test to make my system hang is Prime95 version 28 with the blend test, with that test I'm not stable even at 4.2GHz at 1.250V. (127MHzx33)

I thought mine was defective, I'm prime 28 stable at 4.1 @ 1.22 temp around 85c

Hello raja,

Why is my 5-Way optimization for R5E is different than the one in manual?

I only have option to 4 4.2 and 4.4

Thank you

My ASUS X99 Deluxe + 5820K fails linpack after a few hours, running at stock voltages (Adaptive) and speeds (3.3ghz both core and cache, Turbo Boost disabled). CPU strap is set to 100mhz, RAM is 32GB of G.Skill F4-2666C15Q-32GRR, running with the XMP profile at 2666mhz, 1.2V. Temperatures don't rise above 60C during the test.

What should I do?

Edit: BIOS is 0904

I seem to be linpack stable at 1.00v (fixed, not Adaptive)/3.7ghz/100mhz CPU strap, with cache at 1.00v/2.4-3.0ghz (guessing this could go higher), RAM with 2666mhz XMP profile enabled. I also disabled Spread Spectrum, but not sure if it matters. Lessons learned: 1) Adaptive doesn't work 2) Haswell doesn't need anywhere near 1.2V at my clocks 3) use Windows instead of Linux for stability testing because OCCT graphs are very convenient and afaik there's nothing on Linux yet that can show voltages for Haswell-E chips

I consulted http://www.anandtech.com/show/8426/...view-core-i7-5960x-i7-5930k-i7-5820k-tested/3 to guess how high I could go while staying near stock voltages.

Edit: OCCT:CPU failed after 3 hours at 1.00v/3.7ghz, my chip needed 1.1V/3.7ghz.

Edit: 1.1V/3.6ghz...

Edit: 1.1V/3.6ghz failed OCCT:CPU after 3 days, trying 1.15V/3.5ghz

Edit: After setting everything back to stock/Auto + Adaptive voltage, I think I found my stability problem: stock uncore/L3 multiplier should be 30, *not* 33 (according to CPU-Z's numbers). Doh!

Last edited:
I thought mine was defective, I'm prime 28 stable at 4.1 @ 1.22 temp around 85c

I think that many people who claim to be at 5GHz with 1.2V are simply not testing the CPU.
Prime95 blend test and AIDA Stress test are the best tool to test for stability and not all people use them correctly.

At 1.22V I have 10 degrees less than you with the H80i but this CPU overclock very bad and I'm quite sure that it depends on my Asus X99 Deluxe crappy bios.

Solid for me.

The only "issue" I run into is that the 5960X gets very hot when doing any stress testing with AVX instructions enabled like the new Prime95 28.x. So mobo = solid, CPU = hot.

Dont use version 28.5 with these CPus. The current those routines pull can degrade a CPU fast. I measured over 400W going through the die at 1.30Vcore. The processor is not designed to take that kind of abuse.

Dont use version 28.5 with these CPus. The current those routines pull can degrade a CPU fast. I measured over 400W going through the die at 1.30Vcore. The processor is not designed to take that kind of abuse.

what software should we use to test stability?
is there any new upcoming bios from asus for X99 Deluxe?

The last bios overclock capability is very very very bad.

I think that many people who claim to be at 5GHz with 1.2V are simply not testing the CPU.
Prime95 blend test and AIDA Stress test are the best tool to test for stability and not all people use them correctly.

At 1.22V I have 10 degrees less than you with the H80i but this CPU overclock very bad and I'm quite sure that it depends on my Asus X99 Deluxe crappy bios.

I think that sound about right since mine has more cores and i have 64gb ram.

Lessons learned: 1) Adaptive doesn't work es.

Adaptive stop working when using different blck than 100.
I think that it is a bug of the current mobo implementation.

Is this a problem of the Asus motherboards or of x99 in general?

Yes but the quantity of ram does not increase CPU temperature.

I believe it can. By putting higher stress on the IMC by running more/more dense memory, I had to run higher voltage for my 12Gb kit vs 6Gb to keep stable. It did slightly increase my temps.

Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

Last edited:
ok, ram could increase temperature probably but I have a bigger problem now.
I can't use offset or adaptive voltage when XMP is on on a BLCK greater than 100MHz.

Is this a bug of the Asus mobo or a limitation of X99?
Is there a way to workaround this problem?

ok, ram could increase temperature probably but I have a bigger problem now.
I can't use offset or adaptive voltage when XMP is on on a BLCK greater than 100MHz.

Is this a bug of the Asus mobo or a limitation of X99?
Is there a way to workaround this problem?

Are you on 0904 now? After running out and getting a replacement board with 0801 I am able to overclock without issue. On my other board that is running 0904 it was unstable even at stock speeds. I really believe this new BIOS is to blame.

Are you on 0904 now? After running out and getting a replacement board with 0801 I am able to overclock without issue. On my other board that is running 0904 it was unstable even at stock speeds. I really believe this new BIOS is to blame.

Yes 0904. Can you post your oc settings please?
Are you using an XMP profile?

Fixed voltage or adaptive? What voltage you need to achieve 4.2GHz?
Thanks.

Adaptive stop working when using different blck than 100.
I think that it is a bug of the current mobo implementation.

Is this a problem of the Asus motherboards or of x99 in general?
Hello

This is not an issue with the ASUS X99 motherboards. Adaptive mode uses the additional user set voltage with multipliers higher than the stock turbo multiplier. Because of this there should be no expectation of adaptive supplying voltages that result in stability with any strap other than 100.

Hello

This is not an issue with the ASUS X99 motherboards. Adaptive mode uses the additional user set voltage with multipliers higher than the stock turbo multiplier. Because of this there should be no expectation of adaptive supplying voltages that result in stability with any strap other than 100.

So Is there a way to not use fixed voltage with blck 125?
Is offeset doable?

I'm good at 1.275v at 4.2GHz, if I try offset +0.050v system does not even pass the post.
How can I use the offset to achieve a maximum 1.275v with blck 125?

Thanks.

So Is there a way to not use fixed voltage with blck 125?
Is offeset doable?

I'm good at 1.275v at 4.2GHz, if I try offset +0.050v system does not even pass the post.
How can I use the offset to achieve a maximum 1.275v with blck 125?

Thanks.
Hello

Yes, offset works fine as it adds a set voltage throughout the range of voltages specified by the VID tables. The easiest way to find the needed voltage is to lower the CPU multiplier close to stock, set +0.100V offset and check the voltage under load with something like CPU-Z. Once that voltage is known you will be able to add or subtract from the +0.100 previously set to reach your desired loaded voltage.

Is the x99-PRO ever going to be released, or just the x99-A?

Is the x99-PRO ever going to be released, or just the x99-A?

Yes it seems like it will soon. From Anand "ASUS is planning to launch their X99-A at $280 in early September, and the X99-Pro in October, price still to be determined. For both of these boards we are waiting on images to see what they will be like".

I don't see why would they release Pro. They got X99-A, X99-S and X99 Deluxe. -S is the equivalent of Pro - both in price and features. X99-S has everything X99 Deluxe has, except the Hyper M.2 card and extra fan/temp sensor board.

Yes 0904. Can you post your oc settings please?
Are you using an XMP profile?

Fixed voltage or adaptive? What voltage you need to achieve 4.2GHz?
Thanks.

I am using a Vcore of 1.33 with a 34 multiplier to achieve 4.327ghz. I am using the XMP DDR4-2800 profile. I have SpeedStep and Anit-Surge turned off and all other settings are stock or auto. This setting has run for more than 24 hours with zero issues at 100% load for half of that time. This is all on 0801.

Back