ASUS VW266H 25.5" 1920x1200, 2ms LCD Monitor - $249.99 shipped ar

Thanks OP!

After much debate, and hours of looking into/researching options, I'm in for 1 before the rebate ends.

:D

Make sure you check the postmark dates for the rebate just in case.. I had one where the person getting the rebates didn't open it until 2 weeks+ after I sent it in. :mad: It should go well with Asus though, they are not sketchy like a few other rebaters (cough, OCZ)

Damn. :( Was holding out hoping it'd drop lower by December 31st, but it rose. :( I want a new monitor so bad and wanted 1920x1200, but I might have to settle for 1920x1080.

its at 249 still for another day or two it says? it didn't go up at all really, just a few peanuts I guess! :)

Make sure you check the postmark dates for the rebate just in case.. I had one where the person getting the rebates didn't open it until 2 weeks+ after I sent it in. :mad: It should go well with Asus though, they are not sketchy like a few other rebaters (cough, OCZ)

Thanks for the heads-up.

It arrived via Fedex today, (using it now) so I'll be sure to get the rebate mailed tomorrow.

:cool:

Lol! I thought I was actually going to learn something while reading this thread. Oye!

For being such a "monitor expert" you posted a much smaller, and even a 1920x1080 monitor...... durpee durrrrp. Use your knowledge and quit TCing with that nonsense about IPS panels.

This monitor looks just as good as an IPS in most instances (except maybe photoshop color editing, where the IPS panels are only better at. Plus the cheaper IPS-panels response times usually suck ass BAD. This has an uber low 2ms response most people need, looks superb obviously as many people review (even tech sites) and to end, most people set down and sit still when looking at the monitor so your viewing angle argument is nonsense and doesn't apply for the majority to even care about.

True the majority of consumers buy TN panels because the market is flooded with them. They're not aware that IPS panels provide better images but at a higher premium. Without side by side comparisions a TN panel looks good.

I would disagree with your viewing angle argument. Even if you sit still, directly centered, simply scanning your eye up and down, left and right, you will notice color shifting from the center of the screen to its edges. You'll most likely notice images become darker at the top of the screen and lighter towards the bottom of the screen. If you are viewing images on a webpage, scrolling the page will reveal how the image brightness shifts.

[Strike=Option]True the majority of consumers buy TN panels because the market is flooded with them. They're not aware that IPS panels provide better images but at a higher premium. Without side by side comparisions a TN panel looks good.

I would disagree with your viewing angle argument. Even if you sit still, directly centered, simply scanning your eye up and down, left and right, you will notice color shifting from the center of the screen to its edges. You'll most likely notice images become darker at the top of the screen and lighter towards the bottom of the screen. If you are viewing images on a webpage, scrolling the page will reveal how the image brightness shifts.[/s]

That's because IPS cost more to make, and why they are $400+ for the same size. That's why they aren't mainstream, because they are not a good value for almost all normal uses. That's why TN is, because it looks fine to most people whom use them... hence they make more, hence they are even cheaper.

And no again, this monitor looks perfectly fine and nothing like you falsely claim. No color shifts, nothing. If you set it up correctly with the right settings, its definitely a nice picture without a doubt (as stated in the 200+ reviews and 5+ people here who own it :) Again, IPS goblins.. back to your caverns please :p :D)

Last edited:
Please don't judge this screen just because it's a TN panel or argue against it if you have never tried it. If you don't own this screen or have ever sat and used it for a bit, your opinion is invalid. I have IPS panels, and I have them at work as well. This screen does an amazing job and you can't put an opinion on this from your experience with other TN panels. I don't know how they did it, but they got a lot right on this Asus VW266H.

Please try this panel (with some calibration) before you put your "TN SUCKS" arguments. I'm really impressed with it and wasn't expecting to this much. I figured it would be "good enough" but now I feel ... "it could be better? really?"... so I'm extremely happy. The money I saved help me pick up a nice video card upgrade too.

Well I got one to look at and it looks fine as dandy to me (average Joe Gamer)

What video card did you end up getting?

I agree it's a good setup for a money saving price, without the fancier stuff to make it cost too much :)

My GF bought this for me for Christmas, I'm loving it so far, great price for a great screen.

its 2ms, lowest input lag you could get basically for any monitor

says it in the first link, in the first post also. no problems at all with input lag

Yep, 2ms is the lowest right now. Viewsonic has one 27" out with claims of 1ms, but its actually only 1ms "grey-to-grey". No one on earth can see 1ms, or 2ms anyways, believe me its the same thing basically..... low enough to not notice anything :p

Thanks Not_So_Hard... I don't get paid for another 2 weeks, but I might pick up another for a dual setup. Hopefully it stays low *cross fingers*

True the majority of consumers buy TN panels because the market is flooded with them. They're not aware that IPS panels provide better images but at a higher premium. Without side by side comparisions a TN panel looks good.

I would disagree with your viewing angle argument. Even if you sit still, directly centered, simply scanning your eye up and down, left and right, you will notice color shifting from the center of the screen to its edges. You'll most likely notice images become darker at the top of the screen and lighter towards the bottom of the screen. If you are viewing images on a webpage, scrolling the page will reveal how the image brightness shifts.

This is all true. I noticed that your statement had been quoted and the entire thing crossed out. So, QFT.

Once again, responding directly to Dilan, cheaper price is NOT the same thing as a better value. In this case, the extra price buys you something possibly worthwhile. If you want to be giving advice to every single person who posts here, at least be straight on that point.

Stop telling people that the extra expense is worthless. You're not qualified to make that assessment.

Last edited:
Maybe so for "other"or older TN's but have you nay-sayers seen/used this Asus? Probably not. Its like the kid saying he hates Spinach even though he's never tasted it. I don't have or notice most of the negatives you IPS'rs keep pointing out TN panels have. This panel is a very nice TN, not one of the crappy ones or older ones that exist. My point is well stated in this thread and I'm trying not to waste anymore time on it. We are happy with our Asus TN panel. You IPS'rs go and be happy with your IPS panels in your IPS panel topics and stop trying to point out faults from previous experience that you may have with another panel or just assume this panel has those faults because of it's type. IPS panels are better, yes, we know, we get it, understood, comprende ... but we are still happy with this Asus.

My last 2 cents ... This argument is like going to a Honda Civic thread and telling them they should have bought a 4x4 truck cause it can go off road. Am I going to be driving the Civic off road? ... Likely Not, just as most of us aren't going to be doing graphics for Hollywood or Glamour magazine anytime soon.

My last 2 cents ... This argument is like going to a Honda Civic thread and telling them they should have bought a 4x4 truck cause it can go off road. Am I going to be driving the Civic off road? ... Likely Not, just as most of us aren't going to be doing graphics for Hollywood or Glamour magazine anytime soon.

Spot on... I enjoy this monitor and don't need color reproduction for graphics work or anything. I just watch movies, play games, go on the net, etc.

This is more than nice for my needs, I don't care what anyone says.. its nice for a consumer grade monitor for dang sure. If you want to see exact colors of the bumble bee for your photoshop render, than yes, spend $500 and get an IPS because that's what YOU NEED. For this it fits most peoples needs at the consumer level

Maybe so for "other"or older TN's but have you nay-sayers seen/used this Asus? Probably not. Its like the kid saying he hates Spinach even though he's never tasted it. I don't have or notice most of the negatives you IPS'rs keep pointing out TN panels have. This panel is a very nice TN, not one of the crappy ones or older ones that exist. My point is well stated in this thread and I'm trying not to waste anymore time on it. We are happy with our Asus TN panel. You IPS'rs go and be happy with your IPS panels in your IPS panel topics and stop trying to point out faults from previous experience that you may have with another panel or just assume this panel has those faults because of it's type. IPS panels are better, yes, we know, we get it, understood, comprende ... but we are still happy with this Asus.

Exactly. If it sucked at all, I would definitely notice and return it. So far, its been great and I wouldn't even bother keeping the box at this point since it has a 3 year warranty throught he asus site anyways. All my asus stuff lasts though (motherboards anyway) so thats just icing on the cake

No, the IPS proponents are simply telling them that they shouldn't rule out a 4x4, because all the reasons someone might want or need or simply like one. This pro-TN argument is telling them that there is no benefit to a 4x4 unless they go offroading. Even in that analogy, is that really the case? Nobody likes SUVs, or the traction in the snow, or easier ride on rough roads, or the fashion statement, or towing capacity? Maybe they will test drive an 4x4 and say... "yeah... i kinda like the way this feels. I'm glad I didn't let those civic ricer fanboys tell me what I should get."

Or, they might decide to buy a TN, after considering the IPS benefits and making a basically rational decision. Nobody is telling them to buy an IPS without considering facts. But someone is definitely telling them to buy a TN -- without considering facts.

you're right venm, you are so right. What was I thinking. Please, everyone disregard everything I've said in this thread. Go gorge yourself on more expensive stuff you don't really need. Charge it if you can't afford it. After all, isn't that the American way? :rolleyes: Who knows? ... maybe someone will ask you to edit a hi-res photo or video one day and you can tell them "I can do that! I have an ISP panel! whoohoo! I couldn't have done that with a cheaper screen for sure."

Sarcasm in itself isn't a good argument. Your point is what -- "you don't really need" it ? How in the world can you decide that for others, if you can't even articulate the differences between the technologies? Facepalm a little harder.

I have a (decent) TN and a (decent) PVA side by side. Do you have anything like that? Just from using windows I can see richer colors, consistently better detail in dark areas (eg., newegg product photos), the colors don't shift all over the place, etc. It's a better damn monitor, and even though I mainly have it for occasional gx design work, I'd rather look at everything on that than the TN.

Go ahead and love your TN. It doesn't require putting down people who like something better.

This is a good monitor, quit trying to prove falsely to others that its not as you DO NOT OWN ONE. Others here do, like me whom bought one... and it looks the same, or better than any monitor I see on a daily basis (TV, school, work, etc) so just please click away and quit trying.

venm, you are the one here putting down other people... this isn't an IPS thread so obviously we can see who is the person trying to put down something here. You can't change my 20/20 vision eyes perception that the screen is good, sorry it just looks good and you feel hurt I'm guessing because you spent too much on your fancy $700+ screen I guess.

Why is this fight between IPS and TN an eternal fucking shitshow??!?

There are people who cannot perceive or will not perceive the better color reproduction of IPS panels. You IPS maniacs need to come to terms with that.

There are people who shy away from pricey IPS panels because of their price or have no better knowledge of the fact that they indeed produce better color reproduction.

Even if you show everyone in the world one TN, one IPS, and one VA next to each other, not everyone's going to be able to discern the difference between; even if you make it completely obvious. Many will just see an inexpensive lcd that is good enough for them as it does what it is supposed to do: Let them use their PC.

Each panel type is made to serve different purposes. For manufacturing reasons, some are more difficult to produce, which naturally drives up the cost of the unit. For multiple reasons, some people have more money that others and are able to indulge in "pricey" things. This doesn't mean they know why that item is pricey. They can just afford it. How many people out there, do you think, have nice things, and yet have zero idea on why its so pricey?? Conversely, how many people out there want these nice things for their specifications and purposes, but cannot afford them?? Tangentially, how many people just don't give a shit about specs and just take something at face value and are like whatever works, works??

All you fanboys for respective panels need to shut the hell up about each other. I don't understand why every thread for lcds boils down to people fighting over panel types. This isn't even a discussion thread. It's a LCD FOR SALE AT A HOT PRICE thread. Take your thread crapping elsewhere. Better yet, take it to the streets and kill each other cause this is ridiculous.

TL;DR?
No matter how much you educate people, some will not be able to see the difference.
No matter how much you educate people, some will be ignorant.
No matter how much you educate people, some will be arrogant.
No matter how much you educate people, some will stubborn.

-------------------------------------
On a more relevant note- has anyone had issues shutting off their vw266h? Sometimes the power button will not function. I've tried playing with settings and whatnot and sometimes I can't shut it off. It will only turn off if I kill the connection to it [disable it via desktop settings]

Because obviously IPS people need to justify spending so much, so they feel the need to thread crap every TN panel deal (at least one starts it and it brings the others in the convo)

Just cram it about IPS, if anyone wanted to spend $200+ more for precision coloring, just so I can see the computer monitor while standing 90 degrees to the side (< 1% of the time they use it) then yeah, I will get an IPS. Otherwise, I will spend far less on a bigger monitor like this one and get just as good of a picture most of the time.... you can't tell the difference for most of the crap they say unless you put a solid green or black image on the screen and stare at it for more than 20 seconds (again, < 1% of the time you use it will this actually happen)

IPS nazi's don't argue **REALISTICALLY** at all, they bring in technical mumbojumbo that technically makes them right, yes, but truly NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE SHIT THEY ARE SAYING SINCE IT DOESN'T APPEAR SO TO 99% of the people they are trying to pursuade..... They just don't get it and keep at it. :D Who knows?.... the only thing I can come up with is they have "buyers remorse" as they say.

This monitor is hands down, a normal monitor that any average joe gamer/blurayer/internet junky would like to use.... the 50+ positive reviews back this claim 100% so you can't prove some false technical difference, otherwise. :rolleyes:

Bought 3 for eyefinity. This monitor is mediocre. It's worst than my 19" LG I bought four years ago. The viewing angles are horrendously tight. The view from the bottom is abysmal. This monitor is not suitable for vertical setup and definitely not for eyefinity.

Yea, the size coupled with resolution and pixel pitch makes it pretty bad.

I picked one of these up for my brother as he needed a new monitor and certain individuals in this thread stated the viewing angles were great for a TN; they're not. He routinely sits on his bed to watch TV/movies on his PC and the angles on this Asus are not nearly as phenomenal as some people in this thread would lead you to believe.

It does look pretty good if you sit right in front of it though. :)

Unbelieveable, this is a normal monitor...if you wanted to sit on your bed and watch TV, they make HDTVs for that :D . Monitors are made for sitting front of computer users, not to the far sides, you know, like normal people people who watch youtube or write email on their computer..... ;)

I guess maybe buy an HDTV next time is the common sensical thing to do, not a computer monitor :p

Unbelieveable, this is a normal monitor...if you wanted to sit on your bed and watch TV, they make HDTVs for that :D . Monitors are made for sitting front of computer users, not to the far sides, you know, like normal people people who watch youtube or write email on their computer..... ;)

I guess maybe buy an HDTV next time is the common sensical thing to do, not a computer monitor :p

:shrug: My only point was that people in this thread insisted this monitor was something special as far as TN's are concerned but it's not. They screamed "you can't judge until you buy one!" Well I did. It's a large, average quality display at a decent price. Nothing spectacular about it.

I have this; anyone notice something funky going on in the dark regions of the picture? Particularly in video/movies.

TN is obviously not going to work rotated.

I have this as well and it's definitely a decent bang for the buck... just saying so because of the price. Definitely a quality brand monitor but its yeah, its no $1,200+ NEC IPS panel of course. If you want pro grade, you'll pay pro grade prices :p I think stuff like that is an overpurchase for most people here though... no justification to me in a $1,000+ small sized monitor besides telling people you use the best of the best no matter what cost. That's definitely far from my taste :D

I thought some of this info might be relevant to this discussion since people are comparing this to ips. From the "Dell UltraSharp U3011 30" S-IPS 2560x1600 monitor $1049.30+tax incl. ship @ Dell " thread, I posted some info that concerned me. I was considering dropping the $1k + on an uber ips as part of multi-monitor setup ---- until I found reviews from owners with bits like this, which some say apply to almost all current ips panels on the market:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Some have complained that this coating adds a "Sparkle" effect when viewing the monitor, but it is only slightly noticeable when you are viewing white or light backgrounds."

"it seems that all IPS monitors (other than the 27&#8221; model from the crunchy fruit company) these days have an anti-glare coating. This can result in a &#8220;screen door effect&#8221; or &#8220;sparkle&#8221; especially evident in light colored areas of the screen. I must say that this monitor has this and the &#8220;sparkle&#8221; effect really bothered me at first. Six days later I&#8217;m slowly getting used to it. It&#8217;s still there but once I got back to work and back to games I&#8217;m noticing it less and less. If you&#8217;re at all bothered by anti-glare coatings than this monitor is not for you."

" ... If you&#8217;re able to live with the anti-glare coating then.. "

"The IPS panel on U3011 is matte but no A-TW polarizer has been incorporated. This means that U3011 has the same &#8220;dirty screen look&#8221; as most IPS based monitors today. Unfortunately this is the case on pretty much all IPS monitors today."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a 20.1" viewsonic several years ago whose anti-glare realllllly bothered me. It was like someone sprayed some kind of sugar crystal coating on the screen. Horrible for text. This would really bother me on any lcd, let alone a 30"'s and 1k's worth of screen. I think this is a deal breaker for me. (By the way, my 46" samsung led-edge-lit tv and my 17" laptop are both glossy and I love them).

I have a hannspree 26" TN that I'm happy with for gaming. It can have slight uneven brightness near the top or bottom if you aren't completely centered on it, but only if you aren't centered and are really looking for it and comparing while moving your head higher/lower. The response time on the TN is like 2ms and there is no input lag problem... the input lag on that dell ips is at least 24ms if not more from what I've read... typical of ips.

I have a hannspree 26" TN that I'm happy with for gaming. It can have slight uneven brightness near the top or bottom if you aren't completely centered on it, but only if you aren't centered and are really looking for it and comparing while moving your head higher/lower. The response time on the TN is like 2ms and there is no input lag problem... the input lag on that dell ips is at least 24ms if not more from what I've read... typical of ips.

Yeah, most cheaper IPS have a higher response time and such, and sometimse create obvious ghosting. This is why gamers and such might want a much cheaper (and faster response time TN panel) like this one. This is why they are more popular/cheaper as most people cannot notice the differences in the higher end IPS panels... the price isn't worth the difference for 99% of basic youtubing watching, google searching, cod playing computer users.

I have one, too, but it died horribly after a year and a half. RMA process was a huge pain in the ass ...

Doesn't Asus have the 3 year quick exchange warranty for all their monitors? It is amazing they're the only one who does this.

Back