ASUS VW266H 25.5" 1920x1200, 2ms LCD Monitor - $249.99 shipped ar

Are you referring to the fact that cheap TN panels suck for proper colors compared to more expensive IPS panels? Or are you just implying that the fact that cheap TN panels suck for proper colors compared to more expensive IPS panels is something that is an unimportant fact on its own because you decided that it was.

I mean, if you're going to arbitrarily decide where the threshold is of informing someone, we're going to need more explanation about what you want, lest you be a hypocrite for not following your own "informing" guidelines.

Though, I do wonder how you justify that those you don't agree with (be it due to the information they posted or the way they presented said information) must be the ones to fully elaborate on the subject, instead of that burden falling onto the ones who get pissy about their cheap TN panel's specifications being talked about.

Cool story bro

Find a deal for a decent 25-26" IPS panel for even close to $400 and then we will all shut up :)

Until then, the many people here and in reviews claiming this monitor "rocks for gaming and web browsing" still stands, making this a good deal for the price. Not many normal PC users give 2 duck shits about perfect color reproduction, let's be real here.... and the IPS viewing angles thing is redonkulous as you sit still on the computer in one spot anyways. If you want viewing angles at 90 degrees to the side of your monitor, buy a damn HDTV LCD of the same size for just a few Hamilton's more IMO.

If "shitting on TN" panels informs someone, in anyway, whatsoever, as to the differences between the two types of panels, then it has added to the discussion, despite what you think about it.

Yes, informing others of the differences helps. Maybe some people might get tired of seeing it but that is a good post

But your example, saying they are garbage, without explaining the differences is "thread shitting"

and good posts and "thread shitting" are both adding to the discussion. One is helpful, the other isn't.

Yes, informing others of the differences helps. Maybe some people might get tired of seeing it but that is a good post

But your example, saying they are garbage, without explaining the differences is "thread shitting"

and good posts and "thread shitting" are both adding to the discussion. One is helpful, the other isn't.

If that was posted then the proper response is to explain why it isn't garbage or clarify how the poster was exaggerating the point and give a better comparison/explanation, rather than bitching and moaning about it, contributing nothing to the thread. Otherwise, it would just be hypocritical to call out the other person for being a lazy poster/threadshitter.

Can someone tell me why I can no longer adjust my brightness? I've got it hooked up via VGA to my laptop dock.

If that was posted then the proper response is to explain why it isn't garbage or clarify how the poster was exaggerating the point and give a better comparison/explanation, rather than bitching and moaning about it, contributing nothing to the thread. Otherwise, it would just be hypocritical to call out the other person for being a lazy poster/threadshitter.

That clearly didn't work trying to convince you guys with personal experience and hands on knowledge with this monitor, because then you come back at the end with condescending remarks that aren't true. They always come back with "well if you think that looks good than you don't know what good is!" --- when I am clearly looking at the screen right now and its perfectly normal to me and everyone else whom looks at it (besides the IPS crazies themselves it seems, whom I'm not sure if they've actually seen these in person)

That makes the person a thread crapper, and a monitor nazi without a doubt when you're telling me what is supposed to be good and bad, and then telling me what my eyes can't magically see that yours can(don't wear glasses by the way, never needed them)

"well if you think that looks good than you don't know what good is!"

Not only is this NOT the argument that "IPS Crazies" are making, but that's exactly the kind of lax reasoning that we (I, at least?) are challenging.

"Your 8 year old TN probably has an actual contrast ratio of 100:1, a 50% color gamut and splotchy backlighting. "Fine"? I seriously doubt it. Put an IPS next to it and I'll try to keep a straight face while you compare them. All my monitors (6?) are actually TN, all but one S-PVA, and I would never, ever put the TNs in that class of quality."

you-----------^ word for word, talking about a $400+ monitor looking better than a $99 monitor. Again, this is apples/oranges as I can buy 4 of mine for the price of one of yours, and in the end get pretty much the same result.... a display that I can read text and play games on. Just like I can buy 2 or 3 new Ford F150s, or only one new (overly fancy) Escalade truck that won't be as good of a workhorse in the long run.

and my monitor does not have 100:1 contrast, I don't know what site you got that from. It's 500:1, which still sucks to you, WE KNOW!

Why are you so unwilling to admit to TN panel shortcomings without resorting to sarcastic mitigations of those shortcomings? Unless you are willing to elaborate with intellectual honesty, you're just adding to the signal to noise ratio problem.

At least your quote of him shows him to be speaking with blunt honesty, whereas you seem to just be defending your purchase choice, as a priority.

While you all piss and moan about the ASUS VW266H, I use it every day, and grin. Please post a comparable unit at this price point, for review and comparison.

If that was posted .... ?

YOU are the one who posted it. I've never owned an IPS monitor so how can I describe the differences. So I'm hypocritical even though you are the one who came in here and shit in this thread?

Someone should rename this thread "A bunch of Third graders whine and complain about meaningless crap that contributes nothing to the original purpose of the thread"

Or how about.... Typical IPS nazi please don't post your nonsense in this TN thread, everyone already knows you can pay $400+ for a better monitor of the same size, or mentioned "but YOU ALL MUST KNOW its a LED LCD, not an LED" on all the LED threads.

Nobody cares, and you're just starting an almost useless debate that won't end <<<-- main point they should remember

This thread should get locked for the complete stupidity of most of these posts. In short, the whole IPS vs TN vs PVA vs MVA is all about a persons needs. If your a photographer or Artist and need perfect (or as close to) then an IPS is your best bet. If your a gamer and response time is key (FPS games) then a TN is more likely going to suite you better. If your on a budget and want the best of both worlds for your WoW playing then maybe a PVA/MVA is better suited. just because an IPS has the best color reproduction does NOT make it the end all be all panel. All of the panels have there strengths and weaknesses's. I suggest you all stop trolling and get back on topic with this monitor. There is a market for this panel and it does it's job well.

"Your 8 year old TN probably has an actual contrast ratio of 100:1, a 50% color gamut and splotchy backlighting. "Fine"? I seriously doubt it. Put an IPS next to it and I'll try to keep a straight face while you compare them. All my monitors (6?) are actually TN, all but one S-PVA, and I would never, ever put the TNs in that class of quality."

you-----------^ word for word, talking about a $400+ monitor looking better than a $99 monitor. Again, this is apples/oranges as I can buy 4 of mine for the price of one of yours, and in the end get pretty much the same result.... a display that I can read text and play games on. Just like I can buy 2 or 3 new Ford F150s, or only one new (overly fancy) Escalade truck that won't be as good of a workhorse in the long run.

and my monitor does not have 100:1 contrast, I don't know what site you got that from. It's 500:1, which still sucks to you, WE KNOW!

How is this apples to oranges? "Apples to Oranges" refers to comparisons which are not meaningful, or to things which cannot be compared -- much unlike two LCD technologies. They are both monitors, and the same group of performance metrics are measured the same way. You cannot say, "but - this discussion is only about granny smith apples! stop your irrelevant banter about gala apples because 99% of people won't spend 29 cents a pound more just for a different round, red apple!"

An example of apples-to-oranges might be comparing a monitor to a printer, because no one would ever need to judge the superiority of one over the other. However, even then it is a possible and useful comparison because you are considering similar visual metrics and each can be considered in a much wider perspective.

Ultimately, this tangent from the Asus deal has little to do with TN vs IPS, it's about some people asserting their own opinions over facts and basic reasoning, and trying to assert that over naysayers. It's not even a difference of opinion. It's subjectivity (and hostility) against objectivity and reason. A conflict we see everywhere right now....

The fact still stands that for $239 shipped you can't find anything around this size and quality, and an IPS would cost you easily $500+ for the same size and quality. Yeah you can spend more any time of the year for any type of electronics, but why?.... when this one fills all your basic needs and looks good enough? For me and most people here obviously any ways, not you hardcore high quality color photo experts and/or rich guys who can afford over-purchases. If you don't like it, move on and don't thread crap a perfectly normal, well reviewed item just because you have something that costs twice as much, ya know?

That's as mature as I could get, read it and comprehend please.

The fact still stands that for $239 shipped you can't find anything around this size and quality, and an IPS would cost you easily $500+ for the same size and quality. Yeah you can spend more any time of the year for any type of electronics, but why?.... when this one fills all your basic needs and looks good enough? For me and most people here obviously any ways, not you hardcore high quality color photo experts and/or rich guys who can afford over-purchases. If you don't like it, move on and don't thread crap a perfectly normal, well reviewed item just because you have something that costs twice as much, ya know?

That's as mature as I could get, read it and comprehend please.

I do comprehend it. You have ignored the opposing arguments and restated your own. You should reread and try to comprehend.

Anyone who starts an argument with "the fact is" or "the fact still stands" is doing just that - removing all assertions from the discussion but their own.

Dude, I didn't ignore anything. That is a fact and it still stands whether you want to avoid and talk about other stuff or not, that's all I've been saying mainly the entire time.

If anyone is ignoring the facts, (the facts I just said) its you. And you just did it once again by not finding a better deal (impossible so don't try, believe me)

Please quit trying to make yourself sound right over things I never said or even care about debating besides finding a better deal, its never going to work my friend :rolleyes:

"Talking about other stuff" indicates that you bleeped right over other arguments. Going back, I can see that you did not address nor respond to them. Your principle case is that everything else is irrelevant but the one that suits you. I'm sorry,but that doesn't cut it. The "facts" that you are presenting are actually opinions spanning gaps in logic (eg., best value = cheapest price). Or, if you like, opinions about facts, or the fact of your opinion.

To Actually Address Your Point: Why am I required to present a lower price on a better monitor? I have only supported other peoples' claim that IPS was better and worth spending the extra cash for. If you can show that IPS isn't better, fine, but I doubt you will. If you can show that this monitor is a better VALUE than a good IPS deal, then fine, but again, not likely, but mainly because of the way you're going about it.

You should care about debating things; it's important make sense when you talk over people.

Repeat

Dude, I didn't ignore anything. That is a fact and it still stands whether you want to avoid and talk about other stuff or not, that's all I've been saying mainly the entire time.

If anyone is ignoring the facts, (the facts I just said) its you. And you just did it once again by not finding a better deal (impossible so don't try, believe me) <<---

Please quit trying to make yourself sound right over things I never said or even care about debating besides finding a better deal, its never going to work my friend

Well, all I can say is I have used this monitor just recently and for the price it's pretty huge. and I didn't notice any horrible color spottage or anything, so I don't see what the big long fuss is about or even why people brought up IPS panels to being with when they cost over 400 dollars to a couple thousand, each.

Well, all I can say is I have used this monitor just recently and for the price it's pretty huge. and I didn't notice any horrible color spottage or anything, so I don't see what the big long fuss is about or even why people brought up IPS panels to being with when they cost over 400 dollars to a couple thousand, each.

I agree, so far this has been a great display for me as well. Some random guy started talking about IPS, and then it started a big political like debate that never seemed to end :D I guess the brawl finally died out, cool :cool:

I'm loving mine as well. It does need to be tweaked a little. The picture is very blue saturated, but it was simple enough to adjust out. I have both my dell 2005 ultrasharps in portrait to each side and I really can't see any of the dramatized issues between them after calibration. Perhaps my eyes aren't the best, but I'm happy... and that is all that matters.

My adjustments right now are:
Standard mode
Color temps Only brought blue to 50%
Brightness 59
Contrast 80
Sharpness 45

I may tweak a little more with my Avia calibration disc, but I'm happy as is, so maybe not.

You can't rotate this to portrait with the factory stand can you? Thinking about getting one or two depending on that.

For $19 more you can just get it new from the first post as its $239 now... and it comes with a 3 year warranty not found with open boxes, thats through asus which rocks, plus nothing missing from an "open box" typically from the egg

You can't rotate this to portrait with the factory stand can you? Thinking about getting one or two depending on that.

Nope it does not rotate, but they have rotating desk mounts for under $50, check this one out or any of the cheaper Ergotron brand mounts, they're good. The one for $60 or so shipped is the one I use for my setup

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...rl=search-alias%3Delectronics&eas1=B003L171KW

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
couldnt resist, ordered last week. should be here today. for 239 delivered, this should be a great upgrade to my 1680x1050 panel, which naturally goes to the wife. so everyone wins.

Does the screen on this monitor have a glossy cover, or is it a normal matte screen?

I went from a 1600x1200 Dell with a matte screen to a 1680x1050 HP w/ high-gloss screen. I miss the crap out of have 1200 vertical lines of resolution, and while the HP has better colors, I can't stand the glare.

I've been waiting on a 1920x1200 IPS to go on sale(MacMall had the ZR24w on sale for $300 AR a while back, but I missed out. DOH!), but this has me tempted.

Does the screen on this monitor have a glossy cover, or is it a normal matte screen?

I went from a 1600x1200 Dell with a matte screen to a 1680x1050 HP w/ high-gloss screen. I miss the crap out of have 1200 vertical lines of resolution, and while the HP has better colors, I can't stand the glare.

I've been waiting on a 1920x1200 IPS to go on sale(MacMall had the ZR24w on sale for $300 AR a while back, but I missed out. DOH!), but this has me tempted.

It doesn't look glossy, or give glare at all to me... I am a single light user, so there isn't many bright things behind me in the room. It's not really glossy though in my opinion, it glares pretty much like any other monitor around its size I've seen in person

I got a VW266H for christmas, I like it a lot, definitely a better TN panel than my Acer 2216 looking at them both side by side. Hard to beat at this size and price point IMO. The size and resolution are pretty awesome.
Viewing angles are a non-issue for me. I'm using it for gaming and web browsing. I have my 54" plasma for movies and I don't do any photo editing so I really don't care how well my PC monitor does either of those things.

I know TN panels aren't ideal for photoshop, but I've got an aging Dell 2405FPW VA Panel and was thinking about this as a replacement. With a Spyder color calibration sensor, can this thing get good enough for fairly accurate photoshop color correction?

With all the TN naysayers, you probably won't get an answer you want to hear that will talk you into trying this monitor out. I work in AutoCAD, GIS, and do some graphic work on the side and it suits me just fine. I took some time calibrating mine (with the avia home theater kit) and I'm ecstatic of the image I got for such a low cost. Out of the box, it looks like shit, but after the tweaking, I can't tell a difference from it or my old Dell 2005FPW Ultra-sharps I now have to either side in portrait mode. If there is a color difference, my eyes are never going to be good enough to see it .... unlike all the IPS supermen here. If you like looking at a solid blue screen or a solid green screen, yes, you may see a SLIGHT color gradient to the outside edges, but you have to look for it. It's not noticeable at all otherwise. Maybe it's just me trying to believe it's there because people told me on here that TNs do that...maybe... ;)

I got a VW266H for christmas, I like it a lot, definitely a better TN panel than my Acer 2216 looking at them both side by side. Hard to beat at this size and price point IMO. The size and resolution are pretty awesome.
Viewing angles are a non-issue for me. I'm using it for gaming and web browsing. I have my 54" plasma for movies and I don't do any photo editing so I really don't care how well my PC monitor does either of those things.

Bah, lucky man... everyone else had to pay here :p You use your 54 plasma as a monitor, Doesn't that start bar burn into the plasma panel since it sits still 24/7? I agree with your statement though for sure. I also use this monitor sometimes for web and gaming and I don't notice anything bad lag or color shifting at all. Definitely a fairly decent bang for the buck (or in your case, free :eek: ).

I just gave Amazon a ring, told the lady that I'd buy if she could drop the price back down. She wasted no time and issued a $10 credit to my account. So I pulled the trigger.

I wasn't budging on going for a 1920x1200 monitor. Although I really wanted an IPS, I wasn't willing to pony up the cash, and figured I'd give this a shot. We'll see how it goes.

Yeah, the prices on the site always fluctuate up and down for unknown reasons. Maybe they think people will be using holiday money these last few weeks. If youre waiting for a price drop, Wait soon I bet it'll drop, Smashed Ixnay... or you can order and then chat with amazon afterwards to get the price match

Thanks OP!

After much debate, and hours of looking into/researching options, I'm in for 1 before the rebate ends.

:D

Back