asus vs msi, who makes better video cards?

I'm going to say MSI...asus has some pretty sketchy products out in the video card market.

Asus without a doubt. But why limit yourself to asus vs. msi, I think most people here would suggest companies like eVGA and BFG for nvidia cards and Sapphire for Ati cards.

I have a crappy video FX5700 that's MSI...getting rid of it soon, but it is great...for a 5700. It overclocked well and nothing has broken.

Why ASUS? They're weird with video cards... 6800GT being 700mhz with DDR1 memory? They look cool with blue LED heatsinks but they downclock some shit and charge more. WTF?

Mr. Stryker said:
Why ASUS? They're weird with video cards... 6800GT being 700mhz with DDR1 memory? They look cool with blue LED heatsinks but they downclock some shit and charge more. WTF?

Ya asus did some wonky things with their 6800 Line, who knows where that came from. The quality is superb regardless of the specs tho, MSI tends to uh- get mad at its user more often than not.

I don't recommend Asus cards because they never stick to the reference designs, and they're really overpriced.

looks like varying opinions here, but I think we'd all agree neither msi or asus is the best video card manufacturer (they do make fine mobos though, heh). So, if you can get ahold of a different brand that would probably be your best bet...If not...flip a coin?

Be sure to specifically checked the specs on any ASUS card you buy. Their specs are not inline with what nvidia promotes, for instance the ASUS card with a 'GT' moniker, has specs closer to the slower 6800 standard version. That's why I usually try to avoid them for video cards.

I shall have to say neither. My friend bought MSI 6600GT and MSI motherboard and had to return them multiple times, finally to just give up and choose another brand. As for Asus, I use their products myself, admittedly not video cards, but mother boards. The past few months, I've been very dissatisfied with them. Their website and support are garbage, I find.

I had an Asus geForce4 AGP card; worked perfectly. I currently have a MSI geForce 6800GT; works perfectly. I have had great experiences with both, but I don't think the premium for the Asus name is really worth it.

I think everyone here can agree both have had their downfalls. Go for a different company if you can. Asus doesn't produce to spec, and MSI is just s h i t awful in general when it comes to build quality. I've had 3 MSI boards tank on me, I've had 7 Asus boards that have never crashed to date. I'm sure many people have similar situations. On the weekend I took the pleasure of introducing my K8N Neo2 Platinum board to my dremel!!! :D I threw the remains out and unpacked my A8N-SLI Premium and never looked back.

ASUS, allthough good, are really overpriced on video cards...go with MSI, they make a damn fine quality product.

On the weekend I took the pleasure of introducing my K8N Neo2 Platinum board to my dremel!!! :D I threw the remains out and unpacked my A8N-SLI Premium and never looked back.
god that mustve been nice, im looking to do that too - might get a GTX for 300, and if that deal pulls through, gonna get an a8n SLI Premium and ditch the neo2, i hate it.

I've had nothing but good products from MSI (GPU and mobos) but as to the ASUS GPUs I stay away from them because they deviat to much from the reference design but they make good mobos.

asus, hands down. i built 6 workstations for our studio two years ago, 3 out of 6 MSI cards went down the toilet within the first two years. not acceptable.

I have an MSI NF4 Neo 4 Platinum SLI motherboard and 2 MSI 6600GT video cards ,and both are execellant. Both the motherboard and video cards overclock very well. The MSI heatsinks are very good on the 6600GT cards,they stay cool after a long session of hard 3D video. Asus seems to be overpriced to me.

asus, they use 10 layer PCB on their cards, and better heat sink fans, my sapphires crap out around 6-8 months, asus stick around for years~

soulsaver_8229

Asus...better build. Personally, neither, BFG. I have a 6800gt oc from BFG and it is awesome. Also, lifetime warranty is great.

if gainward were still around, I'd recommend them. :(

for video cards - I'd say get whichever one you've had the best experience with.

as you can see, nobody is going to give you the same answer - some people love Asus ( like me, for motherboards - all my mobo's have been Asus and I've NEVER had a problem with them). Others will love MSI. I personally don't hate MSI, they make some decent, cheap motherboards. But they sure aren't the BEST. Video cards is pretty much an open field. I'd recommend BFG or XFX over Asus and MSI atm for GPU's.

I like MSI. I have never had a problem with my card.

I don't like Asus that much, but not because the product is worse (I'm not sure that it is), but because they jack up the price. Usually Asus is more expensive than everyone else. Although, recently I have seen a bit of a decline in pricing on some Asus items.

both are great if you don't want to overclock, but the 9800Pro I bought from MSI really overclocked like a champ until I broke it (by trying a huge fucking cooler on it and killing the back of the core)

DaCoOlNeSs said:
both are great if you don't want to overclock, but the 9800Pro I bought from MSI really overclocked like a champ until I broke it (by trying a huge fucking cooler on it and killing the back of the core)

Oops! :D

DaCoOlNeSs said:

That sucks. I like the fact that both MSI and Asus don't epoxy the heatsink to the cores. I install aftermarket heatsinks on all my video cards and having to "break" the heatsink off the core really sucks!!

bfgtech...jk. no, seriously. but between those two, i would go with the msi. red pcb is awesome!!!

From a buddys of mine experience Msi makes half assed products..they die before they should!

I've never used an MSI video card, so I cannot really vouch for their quality. I had a Neo2 and thought it was an exellent board, but thats not the topid at hand here, so that is irrelavent. Asus is the same situation. Never had one of their cards, but I have had their motherboards (see sig) and have been equally impressed. However, just in doing window shopping, I have thought Asus has been increadably shadey about theuir cards. They usually run out of spec, and significantly crappier, yet cost MORE than the good cards. For example, we all know about the 6800GT, but it wasnt just the 6800 line. They pulled the same crap with the X800XL. Used DDR1 clocked at 700mhz instead of DDR3 at 980mhz, and if I recall correctly had a downclocked core also, yet it was $100 more than the next cheapest, fully speced X800XL. I am sure its different now, thats just how it was at launch. Its straight up exploitation of the people who don't know any better. Bullshit ethics IMO.

As many people have suggested, I would go with BFG, if not for the card quality for the lifetime warrenty. Evga is also a very good brand, but they are both Nvidia only. On the ATI side of things, I have had Sapphire and Abit products. My Sapphire 9800Pro died about 3 months in, which sucked. My X800XT also bit the dust for no reason. I RMAed it (which was slow as hell and a pain in the ass, Sapphire has horrible tech support), but recieved the wrong card in replacement (sent PCI-E got AGP back). In the end I wasted over a month RMAing the card. Never again will I purcahse a sapphire product becuase of this. As a temporary solution, and later to go in an HTPC, I baught an Abit X700Pro, which has been great. Exellent stock cooling, overclocked very well (and even better on water). It seems like a very solid card.

Back