ASUS SWIFT PG27UQ

That is typical ASUS. Always excited to show off new products before they're even done testing them. I think there was a similar length of time between when the PG278Q was announced and when you could actually buy it.

This was built in less time than ASUS CES reveal to the second to last updated delivery date, not even the latest:

Construction on the Pentagon began without fanfare on September 11, 1941. By early December 1941, 3,000 workers were on the site during the day, but construction was still behind schedule. Their supervisor was Corps of Engineers Colonel Leslie R. Groves, who would later be chosen to head the Manhattan Project and build the atomic bomb.

On December 7, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, and the acceleration of the U.S. move toward war gave Somervell free reign to expand his project. The already-tight construction schedule was moved up, and by March 1942, more than 10,000 people were working on the site. At one particularly intense stage, 15,000 people were working three shifts, 24 hours a day, with floodlights illuminating the site at night.
The Pentagon’s first employees moved in on April 30, 1942; the building officially opened on January 14, 1943. Its massive bulk—6.24 million gross square feet—held 410,000 cubic yards of concrete, made from some 700,000 tons of sand dredged from the Potomac River.

From the $35 million Somervell had originally proposed, costs had ballooned to $75 million, though some claimed it was even higher.

75 million (perhaps a low estimate at that) , in 1942 is $1,064,459,509.20 to $1,154,659,940.00 today.
I'm sure if asus had the yearly pentagon budget of the usa they could accelerate things a bit. o_O

First they claimed for a Q3 2017 release, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Noob.

Then they claimed for the Q4 2017 release, and I did not speak out—
Because fool me once, shame on ---- shame on you. Fool me ----- you can't get fooled again.

Then they claimed for the Q3 2018 release, and I did not speak out—
Because they don't think it be like it is but it do.

Then they FALD Halo'ed me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I think we are gonna see US pricing at $2,500

Which is $500 too much IMHO

If US pricing is actually $3,000.... well then

one person with 3 posts on the ROG forum claiming he's had one delivered....seems a little suspect to me. Asus may well have showcased it at 24th April event in Beijing, but that doesn't mean retail stock is available or being shipped. i've not seen anyone else claim to have had one sent out or delivered, or any evidence of anyone having one to use or test. has anyone else seen anything?

one person with 3 posts on the ROG forum claiming he's had one delivered....seems a little suspect to me. Asus may well have showcased it at 24th April event in Beijing, but that doesn't mean retail stock is available or being shipped. i've not seen anyone else claim to have had one sent out or delivered, or any evidence of anyone having one to use or test. has anyone else seen anything?
I'm always skeptical, but a low post count doesn't automatically discredit anyone. If we don't see any followup, then that's that.

SE Asia will always get product first simply due to the vicinity of the manufacturer. We were told US availability would be late May-June. ASUS ships monitors to the US via ship, so transit can take several weeks. If the US release window is true, then I believe that product would already be available in SE Asia.

like this
I can't wait to see AU Optronics panel roulette at *these* frightful price points for the brave souls that throw down.

It's gon' be ugly.

We'll see. One would hope that AUO would have tighter quality control for such an expensive panel.

like this
That's actually really close I could get it next Monday in theory. But I don't want to be an early adopter on this one sorry :p Very low expectations and would rather save money for my holidays. And I think I can easily wait one or two more years (be nice having better GPUs for 4k as well even if I play a lot of old stuff).

Right. Just check out until we finally actually see something concrete. I still can't wait to see the pricing on some of this stuff so I can laugh.
Well the old man face means I know when he implied winter that it would be winter 2021 at the earliest.

I think if the 27" is $2500 then the 65" BFGD will probably be like $10k.

like this
I still can't wait to see the pricing on some of this stuff so I can laugh.

I think if the 27" is $2500 then the 65" BFGD will probably be like $10k.

120Hz+ 4K is such an over priced bag of hurt right now. As always, the details are in the fine print. Apparently these won't be able to do 4:4:4 beyond 98Hz for G-Sync HDR? If that's true why pay for a 120Hz+ 4K monitor that has to run at 4:2:2 at those rates? Sounds like a waste of money.

At this point people should just wait for HDMI 2.1 if they're looking for a good 120Hz+ 4K experience.

120Hz+ 4K is such an over priced bag of hurt right now. As always, the details are in the fine print. Apparently these won't be able to do 4:4:4 beyond 98Hz for G-Sync HDR? If that's true why pay for a 120Hz+ 4K monitor that has to run at 4:2:2 at those rates? Sounds like a waste of money.

At this point people should just wait for HDMI 2.1 if they're looking for a good 120Hz+ 4K experience.
Is 4:2:2 chroma subsampling really going to matter when you're gaming? It's not like these were made for photo editing.

Is 4:2:2 chroma subsampling really going to matter when you're gaming? It's not like these were made for photo editing.

The days of what makes a gaming monitor "a gaming monitor" and what makes a photo editing monitor "a photo editing monitor" are almost over. The same convergence is happening with TVs and monitors. If LG comes out with 40-46" 4K OLEDs next year with HDMI 2.1, I'm done with monitors. Done. To hell with these gaudy, over priced "gamer" brand monitors.

I would also argue that 120Hz+ is beneficial outside of just gaming if you're talking about a PC environment where content consumption and productivity are quite varied. With HDMI 2.1's native support for 120/144Hz and also at 4:4:4, these monitors are a terrible proposition.

Last edited:
BFGD is a complete pointless joke if it comes out within months of the 2019 4K 120hz OLED launch imo. If it comes out after... hahah get the fuck out. Who wants horrible haloing?
Agreed. Especially if they are much cheaper.

I'd have to see the FALD in person, though. ASUS has a habit of continuously updating the firmware up to the last minute.

Also, from your link:

“We don’t want to talk about zones,” Cleveland says. “The actual panels could change, we don’t want to get into specs right now... These are not the final panels, these are engineering samples.

Fingers crossed, then, that they really are just early samples and not 100% indicative of the final panel quality that we’re going to see when the BFGDs are released in summer. That halo effect really is quite distracting and could be quite damaging to the HDR experience in moodier games which aren’t so brightly lit as the Destiny 2 scenes currently being used to demo them.

BFGD is a complete pointless joke if it comes out within months of the 2019 4K 120hz OLED launch imo. If it comes out after... hahah get the fuck out. Who wants horrible haloing?

Yea, as cool as the BFGD is its two years to late. With 4k120 OLED on the horizon, its pointless to get the BFGD, because you would just be selling it in a few months to get the OLED.

Can you imagine the resale nightmare of a BFGD? Its too big and expensive to ship, so you would have to sell on craglist [shudders at the thought] and can you imagine a craigslist tire kicker coming over to evaluate something as technical as a real 120hz bigscreen? LOL I have had craigslisters come over and offer me $20 yes (twenty dollars) for $500+ items lol FUCK THAT!

Can you elaborate on this? Has there been news about 4k 120hz OLED displays that are planned for release in 2019?

Can you elaborate on this? Has there been news about 4k 120hz OLED displays that are planned for release in 2019?

The 2018 OLEDs are already 4K 120hz. HDMI 2.1 simply wasn't ready in time to be built into any 2018 TVs, so they are limited by the connector standard. Next year this shouldn't be an issue.

I'm starting to have my doubts about HDMI 2.1 Tcons being out for 2019. Manufacturers take FOREVER to design and manufacture new Tcon IC's. HDMI 2.0 announcement to actual chips in TV's took like THREE years. Do not underestimate the ineptitude of the display sector.

We are coming up on half way through 2018 and I haven't seen any evidence online of the chips getting near production. Remember, 2019 TV's specs are finalized around November/December and go into production ~February.

I'm starting to have my doubts about HDMI 2.1 Tcons being out for 2019. Manufacturers take FOREVER to design and manufacture new Tcon IC's. HDMI 2.0 announcement to actual chips in TV's took like THREE years. Do not underestimate the ineptitude of the display sector.

Yes more delays are always possible. Hell, based on historic accuracy of release promises, the PG27UQ might still be months out in actuality. So who knows. If HDMI 2.1 isn't ready for 2019, I'll save some money by not buying anything :D

E: How is scaling of 1080p120hz to 4K on the C8, anyway?

E2: I'm actually still hopeful for 2019 HDMI 2.1. HDMI 2.0 was *released* September 2013, and it was widespread for the 2015 model year TV releases. This would mirror the November 2017 HDMI 2.1 release with 2019 model year availability.

Last edited:

We are coming up on half way through 2018 and I haven't seen any evidence online of the chips getting near production. Remember, 2019 TV's specs are finalized around November/December and go into production ~February.

Yes more delays are always possible. Hell, based on historic accuracy of release promises, the PG27UQ might still be months out in actuality. So who knows. If HDMI 2.1 isn't ready for 2019, I'll save some money by not buying anything :D

E: How is scaling of 1080p120hz to 4K on the C8, anyway?

E2: I'm actually still hopeful for 2019 HDMI 2.1. HDMI 2.0 was *released* September 2013, and it was widespread for the 2015 model year TV releases. This would mirror the November 2017 HDMI 2.1 release with 2019 model year availability.

I would expect LG to include HDMI 2.1 on 2019 OLEDs. They've been on a roll the last couple years really pushing the feature sets. HDR has been and will continue to be a strong selling point, but they will need something more for 2019. The 2018 models are good in their own right with the new a9 processors, autocal, BFI, etc but none of those really make for sexy marketing to the average consumer. HDMI 2.1 would definitely be that. It's not just LG either; any TV manufacturer that implements HDMI 2.1 is guaranteed to sell TVs like hotcakes, so I'm sure they're all rushing to get it ready to out-compete each other.

As for the monitor manufacturers, I wouldn't hold my breath. The last several years have given us constant over priced garbage offering incremental half-steps, or products that have simply been in development too long and are surpassed by the time they actually come to market. At this point I'm waiting on either a well-rounded and fairly priced 40-46" monitor or LG's 2019 OLED TVs to make my next purchase.

I think there is an extra push this time to get it out into the market due to the 2020 Olympics being broadcast in 8K, and HDMI 2.0b doesn't have the bandwidth for 8K. You're going to want to give new displays time to penetrate the market, so releasing in 2019 would be advantageous.
I would expect LG to include HDMI 2.1 on 2019 OLEDs. They've been on a roll the last couple years really pushing the feature sets. HDR has been and will continue to be a strong selling point, but they will need something more for 2019. The 2018 models are good in their own right with the new a9 processors, autocal, BFI, etc but none of those really make for sexy marketing to the average consumer. HDMI 2.1 would definitely be that. It's not just LG either; any TV manufacturer that implements HDMI 2.1 is guaranteed to sell TVs like hotcakes, so I'm sure they're all rushing to get it ready to out-compete each other.

As for the monitor manufacturers, I wouldn't hold my breath. The last several years have given us constant over priced garbage offering incremental half-steps, or products that have simply been in development too long and are surpassed by the time they actually come to market. At this point I'm waiting on either a well-rounded and fairly priced 40-46" monitor or LG's 2019 OLED TVs to make my next purchase.
I think you overestimate the average TV consumer. I'm sure they'll grab some with the 8K marketing, but most will simply not care. Cable companies in the US, at least, continue to broadcast HD at 720p, giving people the false impression that their new 4K TV doesn't look any better than their old 1080p TV.

Looks like Acer has a livestream event on May 23rd. Assuming it is for the 4k144hz display. I believe they are launching 2 of them (one without Tobii eye-tracking, one with).
Acer Event

like this
The korean monitors were the first to bring us 1440p at greater than 60hz now they are doing the same with 4k. Hopefully this gets the big players to finally put out some DP 1.4 4k120hz monitors instead of milking 1440p to death.

Back