ASUS Sabretooth x58 hits newegg

I'm debating getting this board...don't know...I've made enough purchases recently (A77F for $375 after shipping, two GTX 460's for about $480)...

I'll probably end up sticking with my P6T Deluxe V2. The locking connectors are not that big of a deal to me. Now if I knew my sleep issues were because of the board than maybe that'd be a different story but that still might not be enough to drive me to buy it.

Loco: what were your motherboard temps with linx running? I get 61c on the ud3r and would like to know if the St's NB runs any cooler. Thanks.
Ok I got 59°C idle and 67°C under full load without a fan on it. while overclocked.

No sleep issues tho? I think I'm going to make the swap tomorrow. My case has a huge window and I've spent a lot of time making it look nice. Everytime I look down there, I'm shocked to see this mutant baby blue block of pure nasty clash with everything in there. Its killing me.

No sleep issues here and no one posted anything on the asus forum about it.

Thanks. Do you have it overvolted? My ioh OS at 1.2. Also, do u have much air flowing through there? I've got a bunch of 120s moving things around. Thanks!

Edit: hmmm...maybe I should keep the giga since its running at 39 idle, 61 load wo/ a little 40mm above it.

Last edited:
Thanks. Do you have it overvolted? My ioh OS at 1.2. Also, do u have much air flowing through there? I've got a bunch of 120s moving things around. Thanks!

Edit: hmmm...maybe I should keep the giga since its running at 39 idle, 61 load wo/ a little 40mm above it.

Yep overvolted. 1.32v.

Awesome. And judging by your case pic, I'm cheating a little w/ 5 120's.

Well, I'm convinced. I'll swing by Fry's later today and return the board + RAM and order the PI's along w/ the Sabertooth. Bummer about missing the 10% off deal though, that would have been slick.

Right around this time next week I'll be spamming pics and impressions. :p

Edit: Went i5 due to heat from i7 and lack of any real performance gains for my usage.

Last edited:
Upgraded my Q9550 to a i7 with this board last week. Seems to be a pretty good board. My only complaints are things I knew about before purchasing (No PATA, Only 1 PCI slot which is unusable if you are running a big graphics card in the top slot)

Gave this motherboard a shot with a 980X, Kingston 12GB kit (3 4GB sticks) listed in the HQL, Corsair AX1200 PSU. Took a chance and mounted everything in the case vs bench test. The system would not POST if memory was installed as per the manual. One stick, 2 sticks, 3 sticks, didn't matter. The memory LED would stay on constantly. Holding the MEMOK button did nothing but reset the system vs get to a state of blinking to initiate memory timing adjustments. Without memory, the system would beep as expected (no memory installed beeps). Took everything out of the system leaving just the mobo, cpu and RAM. No luck at all. I don't have a spare PSU or CPU to swap those out. Was going to go MSI XPower Big Bang before seeing this mobo.

Sorry to hear bud, I'm having some bad luck with an Asus board as well. Let us know how it goes.

I just installed my Sabertooth + i7 950 last night. Zero problems so far, except I did notice that the heatsink along the top row of caps was not secured tightly enough.

I really like the BIOS on this board. Clearly laid out and self explanatory for the most part. I also like the layout of the board itself. Didn't have a problem (or even come close to a problem) with any connectors, and the Q-connector thing was convenient (still wish case and mobo manufacturers would put their heads together for some standard plug like front panel USB.)

Also, just thought I would add that I had no problems with the 2x2gb ram modules not being fully recognized. Running triple channel.

Can anyone confirm that the board actually uses solid japanese caps? There was a big controversy lately with Gigabyte calling them out for lying about that and I'm wondering if this is one of the boards they cheat on using Thai caps?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-gigabyte-motherboard,5348.html

I'm torn between the sabertooth and the GA-X58-USB3.

that article is well over 2 years old, I doubt that Asus would still be able to get away with it for that long.

Its working very well, I did like the Sabertooth but I think it was more the aesthetics and the cool ceramic stuff, ie the marketing fluff. Gigabyte has yet to do me wrong, so I went that way. Fry's ran out of the Sabertooths while the sale on i7's was going on. They moved a lot of 1366 inventory with that price drop.

It was the first Intel build in many years and I was surprised by the cpu retention mechanism and the pin-less packaging etc... It was a fun build.

I was looking at a Gigabyte board - Probably the UD3 or UD5. I think they have a common bios to what you have...Do you like it better than ASUS? I'm having some weird issues that might be a board being unstable. (see here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1557290)

If it really is my board that is bad, I'm seriously considering going with a Gigabyte, but I have no experience with Intel boards except ASUS.

Afterburntdw -- "I don't always build Intel, but when I do I prefer Gigabyte."

-The most interesting man alive

But Seriously, I won't speak ill of Asus they are good, Gigabyte is very good too and often copied.

Its working very well, I did like the Sabertooth but I think it was more the aesthetics and the cool ceramic stuff, ie the marketing fluff. Gigabyte has yet to do me wrong, so I went that way. Fry's ran out of the Sabertooths while the sale on i7's was going on. They moved a lot of 1366 inventory with that price drop.

It was the first Intel build in many years and I was surprised by the cpu retention mechanism and the pin-less packaging etc... It was a fun build.

Cool. I've never owned a Gigabyte board, but i've always heard positive things about them. I ended up picking a Sabertooth yesterday @ Fry's, so far so good. Initial setup was effortless, no OC'ing results yet as I'm working on cables since I picked up an AX850 as well.

Cool. I've never owned a Gigabyte board, but i've always heard positive things about them. I ended up picking a Sabertooth yesterday @ Fry's, so far so good. Initial setup was effortless, no OC'ing results yet as I'm working on cables since I picked up an AX850 as well.

Which RAM did you go with for the Sabertooth?

Yea, i've been here for 9+ years. I've ALWAYS researched the hell out of everything I have bought. What I have noticed over the years... when my friends don't research at all and I do... I end up with the borked hardware and they are golden.

I've seen enough X58's to where I have no problem just jumping on this board.

I'm not saying RAID isn't possible with SATA 3. I'm wondering if that controller that they have the SATA 3 on supports RAID. It doesn't look like it does. The old SATA 2's on that board support RAID through the ICH10r naturally... but I don't think the SATA 3's do (not sure).

Ok, so anybody find out if RAID is possible with SATA 3?

Back