ASUS Sabretooth x58 hits newegg

I looked at it in Fry's, today. I really like it, except for the PCIe slots being "one lower" than normal (the first slot on the chasis is not utilizeable, because the PCI slots on the mobo are one slot lower).

The color scheme is really nice, and it reminds me of Halo, lol. Just need a little bit of dark, reflective orange to seal the deal :)

The color scheme is really nice, and it reminds me of Halo, lol. Just need a little bit of dark, reflective orange to seal the deal :)

I agree, I think the color scheme looks great. If I were in the market for an X58 board I think this would be the one.

I love the color theme. I don't know why you keep thinking of halo when this clearly must be a reference to Sabertooth in X-men. It's like the same colors as his costume... and theres an X on the damn heatsink lol.

This asus p6t deluxe v2 has given me nothing but problems for the last year. I think i'm going to pick up the Sabertooth.

Now my only question is will a Megahalems fit.

I love the color theme. I don't know why you keep thinking of halo when this clearly must be a reference to Sabertooth in X-men. It's like the same colors as his costume... and theres an X on the damn heatsink lol.

This asus p6t deluxe v2 has given me nothing but problems for the last year. I think i'm going to pick up the Sabertooth.

lol, never would of known that :p

Yea ;) . Anyone know if a prolimatech megahalems will fit over the heatsinks on the board? I'd really hope so.

Oh... and raid not possible on the sata 6g?

I'm trying not to research to much on this buy. Every time I do I end up with a damn problem and an RMA anyways.

Not sure but, I think I want it lol...

Need to see some legit review(s) and then make my decision from there.

I like the color scheme.
Me too.

Now their X58s seem to have a recurring "missing RAM" issue.
Happened to a friend of mine. EVGA wouldn't replace the board. He bought a Gigabyte. Should've done that in the first place. :D

CPUTIN is CPU socket temp
SYSTIN is NB temp
AUXTIN never changes
I don't see SYSTIN in your previous post that listed the temps, only motherboard. How are the NB temps now that you've had a chance to put it through it's paces. Also, do you think it would fit a TRUE and some G.Skill PI rams?

One of the newegg reviews has a complaint about slow USB 3.0 speeds. That kinda sucks. Early drivers maybe?

Oh... and raid not possible on the sata 6g?

Wait. Are you saying that raid IS NOT possible on SATA 3???

I'm itching to get this board and jump on the i7 boat but I need some legit reviews first. Before investing money in anything tech related, RESEARCH.

Wait. Are you saying that raid IS NOT possible on SATA 3???

I'm itching to get this board and jump on the i7 boat but I need some legit reviews first. Before investing money in anything tech related, RESEARCH.

Yea, i've been here for 9+ years. I've ALWAYS researched the hell out of everything I have bought. What I have noticed over the years... when my friends don't research at all and I do... I end up with the borked hardware and they are golden.

I've seen enough X58's to where I have no problem just jumping on this board.

I'm not saying RAID isn't possible with SATA 3. I'm wondering if that controller that they have the SATA 3 on supports RAID. It doesn't look like it does. The old SATA 2's on that board support RAID through the ICH10r naturally... but I don't think the SATA 3's do (not sure).

10% off any Intel motherboard (48 hour promo code = EMCYXZV22) is tugging my chain on this board, but there still aren't any reviews out there of it. :(

Me too.

Happened to a friend of mine. EVGA wouldn't replace the board. He bought a Gigabyte. Should've done that in the first place. :D

I don't see SYSTIN in your previous post that listed the temps, only motherboard. How are the NB temps now that you've had a chance to put it through it's paces. Also, do you think it would fit a TRUE and some G.Skill PI rams?

One of the newegg reviews has a complaint about slow USB 3.0 speeds. That kinda sucks. Early drivers maybe?

I haven't had any issues with this MB so far. As you can see in my sig. I have an array of crap connected to it. The NB is around 40c, when I play games for extended periods the highest Ive seen it get is 48c "without side fan 52". The Man Cave that my PC is in is not so cool by any stretch either, so Ide say the new ceramic coating is doing a great job. As far as USB 3.0 I haven't noticed any issues. I have my mouse and KB in there so not sure. I guess i could do some testing. The SATA3 not sure on those as I haven't used them. Best guess is what ever is said here is true.

As for the HSF and ram I couldnt tell you. I have water cooling on the CPU and my ram are these Ripjaws

Well, I just got the mobo in. I'm about to take my asus p6t deluxe v2 out. I have only one question first..

The marvel sata 6g ports do support raid and it has the drivers on the CD.

I currently run an OCZ Agility 60gb SSD as my main OS/APP drive and have two WD 640gb Caviar Blacks in RAID 0 for games and other crap.

Is it possible to hook up Sata 2nd gen to the 3rd gen (6g) ports? If that IS possible, then i'd put the two WD 640's on those 2 ports and put them in RAID. Then if I do that.... I will set the 3rd gen (6g) controller to RAID... and the ICH10r to RAID in the bios as well.

I don't trust the ich10r lol. On my asus p6t deluxe v2 i'm having hitches everytime a player or object loads onto the screen no matter what video card / ram / hard drives I have in. I have to assume it's the damn mobo or PSU. I've ruled out everything else.

I have it all installed now.

I put the DVD/CD Burner, old seagate 200gb, and 60gb OCZ Agility SSD on the Sata 2 connectors and set the ICH10r to AHCI.

I put the two 640gb WD Caviar Blacks on the Sata 3 connectors and set the Marvell Controller to AHCI.

I went into the Marvell setup during boot to create the RAID volume and theres an option i've never seen before. Gigabyte Rounding Disabled, 1, or 10.

What do I need to set this up as for a RAID 0 setup?

Thanks for the info on the board guys. My local fry's has them in stock now, bit the gigabyte ud3r is $30 cheaper, less warranty tho.

Iirc, p6t had sata raid issues.I've migrated a mirror from whatever was in the gigabyte 965 ds3 from board to board up to an x38 so far without issue. Intel raid has been bulletproof for me over the years

First official review...

SaberTooth Guru3D

Final Words & Conclusion

Believe it or not but when you look purely at the specs, this is a motherboard targeted at the more 'budget' targeted X58 end-user and it's not that much different compared to lower segmented X58 motherboards from ASUS. It is obvious that ASUS tried to fully utilize the Intel chipset as much as it can aside from the primary features (to cut cost). The design, USB 3.0 and SATA 6G are the primary factors combined create a very decent and nice motherboard without adding many other ICs. The Sabertooth is not intended for the uber-extreme crowd, the pro-users and overclockers. Now that said, it didn't stop us from bringing our Core i7 980X processor towards 4.5 Ghz on air-cooling. And at 199 USD ... how can you not like that ?

The TUF Sabertooth offers nearly everything you can wish for on a X58 motherboard for an enthusiast end user. We can moan about smaller features like a lacking 2nd Ethernet jack and some more back-panel connectivity but at 199 USD we just can not complain.

The aesthetic design of the Sabertooth is just mouth-watering whilst offering good (not perfect) baseline performance. And though the BIOS is a little less catered for it, it does offer plenty of decent overclockability as our OC session proofs. When you start to overclock, that's where you start to make money. With the Noctua NH-D14 heatpipe based cooler cooler on the processor this motherboard allowed us to drive the processor very nicely, at 4.5 GHz give or take and that was using a six-core Core i7 980X processor. Reaching even higher performance would require us to use liquid-cooling, phase-change cooling, dry ice or liquid nitrogen. But we are happy @ a 100% stable 4.5 GHz with a heatpipe based cooling solution.

We notice that there is plenty of bandwidth for the USB 3.0 and SATA3 6G controllers as their respective performance is really good. The overall motherboard design is marvelous in all ways as well, the really nice design, the option to use the liquid cooling block on the chipset, the exceptional arrangement of all apparatus used, the high class components. ASUS is now also utilizing a 'military' design strategy on the TUF series. It literally boils down to a higher class of component selection that can endure much more than say your average motherboard in terms of heat, lifespan ... and in the end stability and overclockability. Though that's 50% marketing right there, the truth is also that better components will in the end help you out.

Then the integrated passive ceramic-coating technology offers splendid of cooling performance as well. So while we can discuss and lift every theory and thesis on this motherboard, we like to keep it plain and simple. The ASUS TUF Sabertooth X58 is a good motherboard with decent feature set, nice performance, good tweakability and a stunning design, it's the Rambo amongst motherboards. If a 199 USD budget is your limit, then we can recommend this rugged looking sturdy piece of hardware very much.

Oh and ASUS tops it off with a 5 year limited warranty, that doesn't suck either. At the time of writing the motherboard is available only in Northern America, we hope it'll travel with a military Chinook helicopter at the European and Asian bases real soon as this motherboard series definitely deserves a chance.

Guess that clears up the USB 3.0 concerns. Makes me wanna swap the gigabyte board for this thing now that I know it's worthy. It sure looks better than the silly baby blue of the giga.

Considering the budget board, I'm dumbfounded to see the 980x used instead of a 920/930/950. Kicking the multiplier up tells me nothing of the boards bclock abilities. I would have also liked to see comparisons to other budget boards like the ud3r instead of the much higher priced ud9r. Also, where are the board and NB temp charts? A mediocre review IMO.

Last edited:
I can't seem to find any memory or GFX cards that even remotely match the design. Without that, it kinda takes away from the whole design theme. One of these would look good in the HAF 912, but beyond that, there's not much to match it to.

I can't seem to find any memory or GFX cards that even remotely match the design. Without that, it kinda takes away from the whole design theme.
This would be perfect if it came in DDR3...

SOEddr2_4157.jpg

I know what you mean though. I wound up keeping the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R because the deep blue heatsink covers on the NB and VRM's match the Kingston HyperX spiky hairs.

I'd never buy another EVGA board after the several 680is and 708is I went through. Most unreliable pieces of hardware I've ever owned.

And for me the EVGA Classified that didnt overclock worth a shit. :rolleyes:
but some "cheap" $200 board does way better.

I ordered a sabretooth and should have it monday. will report back on how it overclocks and temps.

eVGA blows chunks sometimes so yeah I know what you mean. Just picked up two GTX 460's from NewEgg...if I have *any* issue registering both GPUs for the warranty they are both going back to NewEgg and I'll never buy another eVGA product again. I got screwed out of a lifetime warranty on my GTX 275 because of that (a 275 that recently failed BTW so I'm extra bitter about it now).

Anyway...back to the motherboard. Looking at the layout I do see one critical flaw...non-locking SATA II connectors.

The egg has a killer combo on this board with 3*2GB of G.Skill 1600 -$40, combined with a i7-950 HSF combo, that's a nice upgrade for many folks at around ~$600. I really like the cooling on this board, I just wish I needed the performance.

Lock with the little clips from the cable? it does, you just can't see it.

All six ICH10R connectors? Look at the difference between the ICH10R ports and the SATA III ports...at least the top SATA III port has the two spaces for the lock.

The egg has a killer combo on this board with 3*2GB of G.Skill 1600 -$40, combined with a i7-950 HSF combo, that's a nice upgrade for many folks at around ~$600. I really like the cooling on this board, I just wish I needed the performance.
The deal was even better last week, when you could combine it with the 10% off coupon on Intel motherboards ($60 off instead of $40).

I did and very stable, played call of duty for 4 hours at highest resolution with out a glitch, install window 7 in 10 minutes

All six ICH10R connectors? Look at the difference between the ICH10R ports and the SATA III ports...at least the top SATA III port has the two spaces for the lock.

Yes they do. I just got mine today. :D

I like the memory slot design they did.

Loco: what were your motherboard temps with linx running? I get 61c on the ud3r and would like to know if the St's NB runs any cooler. Thanks.

Also, have any of u guys used the Asus software yet? Does the BIOS /PC probe offer readings for vtt/qpi voltage? How bout the epu energy saving component? Thanks again!

I've got the ud3r running solid at 200 bclk, but its still butt ugly. :_(

Loco: what were your motherboard temps with linx running? I get 61c on the ud3r and would like to know if the St's NB runs any cooler. Thanks.

Also, have any of u guys used the Asus software yet? Does the BIOS /PC probe offer readings for vtt/qpi voltage? How bout the epu energy saving component? Thanks again!

I've got the ud3r running solid at 200 bclk, but its still butt ugly. :_(

Couldnt tell ya on the temps. I cheated and added a fan just to be safe. after adding a small fan it is cool to the touch. Right now with my IR thermometer on the heatsink it shows 46.5C so add about 15C with linx running with a fan on.

Didnt try the software and epu is disabled. sorry cant help there.

The board does well over 200 bclk but my chip couldnt do it. :(

No sleep issues tho? I think I'm going to make the swap tomorrow. My case has a huge window and I've spent a lot of time making it look nice. Everytime I look down there, I'm shocked to see this mutant baby blue block of pure nasty clash with everything in there. Its killing me.

Back